so I attempted to partition my sd card a long time ago and i failed and lost a big chunck of my sd card space. I was wondering if there was any way to get my full amount of sd card space back (restore it)?
    06-01-2013 05:53 PM
    This is a windows issue. Do things in linux and you won't have that problem.

Things to try:
    Use a USB card reader, not an internal card reader - most should expose the drive as UMS instead of SDC, will let windows read the drive correctly.
    Full wipe the card in Mini Tool or similar partition software - it should go without saying that you will lose everything on it if you do this

As far as I know, you can't restore that lost space in windows without using one of those two methods, since windows SD card drivers are incapable of handling multiple partitions (a full wipe destroys the partition table, a USB card reader exposes it as USB mass storage instead of as an SD card, windows can handle UMS partitioning)
    06-01-2013 06:06 PM
    Clearly I had no idea what i was doing before since i attempted the partition in recovery
    06-01-2013 06:11 PM
    so I attempted to partition my sd card a long time ago and i failed and lost a big chunck of my sd card space. I was wondering if there was any way to get my full amount of sd card space back (restore it)?
    Yes, you can easily recover that 'lost' space. However, make sure that questionable partition is truly not being used by the ROM and/or an app like Link2SD...

Full wipe the card in Mini Tool or similar partition software - it should go without saying that you will lose everything on it if you do this
    Not necessarily... MiniTool Partition Wizard can recover the 'lost' space without losing any data in the main partition. No need for "full wipe" as that will definitely erase all the data.

Clearly I had no idea what i was doing before since i attempted the partition in recovery
    Download the free utility MiniTool Partition Wizard and install it onto your Windows PC. Connect the SDcard to the PC. Run the Partition Wizard program, perform the 'Delete Partition' operation on the partition that was created via the Recovery, then perform the 'Extend Partition' operation on the main data storage partition, and you should recover the full capacity of the SDcard.
    06-01-2013 06:49 PM
    Android Recovery is a linux box - it is quite capable of correctly partitioning your SD card.
    (but recovery scripts don't always give you the widest variety of options, depends on the recovery of/c)

I'm going to guess that the real problem came up the next time you inserted that card back into your windows PC - suddenly windows can't read it! not even the main partition that most guides claim should work fine! ... well how odd, but windows offers to format it for you, and then you restore your backed up SD card data, because you were clever and made a backup...

I ran into a scenario where someone did exactly what I described above, and (on his laptop internal SD card reader at least) after windows mangled the card during formatting, even MiniTool was unable to recover the lost space.
    (though it was restored after a full wipe)

Moral of the story: internal SD card readers + windows =

Also, sorry if i made the situation sound more dire than it is - if MiniTool can't see the second partition, just make a backup (copy, zip, rar, or some fancy backup tool as desired...), full wipe, restore backup
    06-01-2013 08:12 PM
    Try BootIt. It should straighten out you sd card if in Windows.
    If in Linux use Gparted to create a new partition table.
    When done use the ZenGarden recovery to make the partition. Then go to the option that allows you to convert said partition to ext.4

Note: Remember, you only need 1-1.5GB partition for Link2SD to work, but you can only use no more than 20% of the actual space available for the partition.
    This means you will need at least an 8GB card.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    06-01-2013 10:42 PM