How to re-root

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
This one bit me too. Are you saying that su works for you now? If so, would you please detail the exact steps? I still can't get su to work - permission denied.

tli

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
... Are you saying that su works for you now? If so, would you please detail the exact steps? I still can't get su to work - permission denied.

The updated SU is working for all my previously installed apps that required root permission. However, based on reading some of the review comments at the PlayStore, I suspect that any newly installed app *after* the SU update might not work, with permission denied, as have been reported. If this applies, then just revert back to a prior working SU version until the bugs are fixed.

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
This one bit me too. Are you saying that su works for you now? If so, would you please detail the exact steps? I still can't get su to work - permission denied.

Didn't work for me the first time i tried updating from the playstore, i didn't get the popup saying update binaries. Then i tried from recovery using the. zip provided in the playstore description, that didn't work.

After tli said it worked on both of his V's, i decided to try again.

Went to the playstore >my apps >superuser app>press update, it went threw the process, it downloaded, then installed, when it was done ,still in the playstore, i clicked where it said open then i got the popup that said update su binary, i clicked ok, then it updated the su binary, then i reboot the phone. Went to the app drawer superuser was updated to 1.0.2.6

Then i tried my root apps titanium, root browser,sd maid, they all are working fine superuser just isn't giving the toast notification and it's not making log reports, but it is working for me now. ;)

May 27, 2013
Visit site
note there is more than one app called Superuser... the one I have that came with Gingerbreak that AndieOpie linked above is the one from ChainsDD. A lot of you are referring to the one from ClockWorkMod. I assume they do the same thing and perhaps have some similar issues. Since I re-rooted few days ago I haven't had any problems I just have ignored the update requests from the Play Store and everything seems to be working fine.

tli

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
note there is more than one app called Superuser... the one I have that came with Gingerbreak that AndieOpie linked above is the one from ChainsDD. A lot of you are referring to the one from ClockWorkMod. I assume they do the same thing and perhaps have some similar issues. Since I re-rooted few days ago I haven't had any problems I just have ignored the update requests from the Play Store and everything seems to be working fine.

Glad you pointed out the SU variance... The more current versions of the MiRaGe ROM use the SU by CWM. Since bb1_ asked about updating SU on his OV with MiRaGe, the discussion took a tangent, sorry about that...

I used to use the ChainDD's SU when I first rooted with Gingerbreak and running the BACKside ROM a couple of years ago. I also had experienced update problem at the time but running the ChainDD's Superuser Update Fixer app resolved the problem for me back then. You might try running that and see if it helps. BTW, the ChainDD SU and BACKside ROM have been abandoned since they're no longer maintained for over a year now... might consider switching to the SuperSU by Chainfire, FYI.

tli

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any of those issues with CM-10 ROMs.

If one read and understood the bug report, it discloses that the problem affects all non-multiuser Android systems. CM 10, or JB/Android 4.1+, supports multiuser accounts so the SU binary update works. MiRaGe is GB/Android 2.3 which do not support multiuser accounts and is affected by the update.

Last edited:

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any of those issues with CM-10 ROMs.

Posted via Android Central App

If i'm not mistaken, Bean_Whiz uses the Super Su by Chains, MiRaGe uses superuser ClockworkMod.

EDIT : i just went to use titanium backup, the app said that i had lost root access to my phone, then i tried Sd Maid said same thing (no root access) then i checked superuser, no apps found, so i went to settings >applications >downloaded apps >superuser >uninstalled the updates, now running 1.0.1.8,then luckily this version granted all my root apps permission again, one by one. Whew, don't know what happened, i'm just glad everything is working again. Man they better get the bugs out of superuser!

Last edited:

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, this one got me too. If you let superuser update the su binary, you lose root access. You won't notice until you try to do/use something that needs root and isn't already in the list of allowed applications. It's easy to mess up your phone while trying to get root back. To see if you are affected, you can use any of the free root checker apps in the market.

After some searching, I ended up getting a copy of supersu that was in a zip file that could be flashed from recovery and used that. I then uninstalled superuser.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
If one read and understood the bug report, it discloses that the problem affects all non-multiuser Android systems. CM 10, or JB/Android 4.1+, supports multiuser accounts so the SU binary update works. MiRaGe is GB/Android 2.3 which do not support multiuser accounts and is affected by the update.
Lol. Sorry, had no need to read the bug report, due in fact to not having an SU update bug in CM-10. If I was having ya'lls problems in CM-7 I would have.

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Just updated to latest release, v1.0.2.8... fixed and working again. FYI.

I'll be back, runnin to the store :)

EDIT : just came from the store, 1.0.2.8 confirmed, superuser working again, thanks for lookin out tli.

Last edited:

dqubgrj

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi all. I rooted my phone a few weeks with Gingerbreak and it went fine. Installed Link2SD and was able to remove bloatware at will. Unfortunately I stupidly uninstalled Superuser because of the update issue with it (to install another Superuser app) no I no longer have root. I know I no longer have root because when I enter "su" at a terminal prompt I get back "permission denied". I've tried re-rooting with Gingerbreak but it goes on and on without rebooting. I've tried manually rebooting the phone and it doesn't help. It's not really a problem because I have the phone the way I want it but I'd like to get root access back. Please help. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze