Hey guys,

I am currently running BackSide 20120502 for about a year now and I love it, but here lately I have been getting tired of my space filling up. I already have all my apps on a partitioned SD card using Link2SD but I think that just over the year I have been accumulating junk files and so I am at FULL capacity.

Anyway, I am looking to start from scratch, but I am very much used to how stable this BackSide rom is, so I am looking for something almost as stable but currently supported.

Not sure if that even exists anymore. I know I stayed away from CM9 and CM10 back in the day because of clock issues, but I am not sure of the current status of things.

Hoping that some kind souls can point me in the right general direction so that I can get started again.

Thanks
    07-08-2013 09:53 AM
    Mirage is the one i use, best of the bunch
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/opt...4152013-a.html
    07-08-2013 11:15 AM
    mirage is definitely the most stable.
    thekraven on the optimus s side of the forum has two nice JB roms, PAC and JBC. They aren't as stable for most people's purposes, and bluetooth only works with PAC (not sure about JBC) if you dare to build and use my 3.08 kernel alpha port. there are still a couple issues with that kernel, accelerometers don't work yet and the battery readouts are a little wonky except right after screen off/on, so I wouldn't consider that stable.
    I wouldn't dream of going back to Gingerbread myself... I didn't care for ICS (it stinks on my tablet, too) but still liked its features better'n GB. JB rocks. But it's not yet ready for the general public unless you're adventurous.
    07-08-2013 01:32 PM
    I went ahead and tried Mirage, because that seems to be what everyone says is the most stable, and since I am on GB currently, it shouldn't bother me too much.

The problems I ran into were that after flashing the market and logging into WIFI, I got a lot of force closures and the market kept crashing and it never updated to the latest market.

I tried two times both with full wipes, but I wonder if my kernel is not updated or not compatible. It looks like I am on Bobzhome's kernel 2.6.32.9-v4

Anyway, I went ahead and restored my backup, but I will have to try later. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks
    07-08-2013 03:07 PM
    the kernel with the rom is optimum for it.
    sometimes you need to wipe each partition 3 times in recovery (boot, system, data, and cache,) especially if you have a newer OV. LG got cheap and started using junky flash memory after a while, it's unstable and doesn't like to flash every time.
    if it's still showing the bobzhome kernel, the boot partition didn't flash. mirage definitely uses a different kernel. if the boot partition didn't flash correctly, the system startup won't match the rom and you'll get force closes and suchlike.
    it's possible you might need a different recovery for proper flashing. which one are you currently using?
    07-08-2013 03:56 PM
    I am using the cannibal touch recovery I will try it again

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    07-08-2013 07:20 PM
    cannibal should probably work ok. people like it.
    good luck.
    07-08-2013 08:29 PM
    The Kravens CAI rom which is cm9 is the most stable ics rom you should give it a try & with the test kernel 21 I get very little clock lag

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-09-2013 01:17 AM
    the kernel with the rom is optimum for it.
    sometimes you need to wipe each partition 3 times in recovery (boot, system, data, and cache,) especially if you have a newer OV. LG got cheap and started using junky flash memory after a while, it's unstable and doesn't like to flash every time.
    if it's still showing the bobzhome kernel, the boot partition didn't flash. mirage definitely uses a different kernel. if the boot partition didn't flash correctly, the system startup won't match the rom and you'll get force closes and suchlike.
    it's possible you might need a different recovery for proper flashing. which one are you currently using?
    How can I check if it's going bad? I tried using e2fsck, but all I got was errors like "e2fsck: Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/block/mtdblock1". I can't imagine it'd be possible to unmount filesystems while the phone is running, so how else can I check?

Linux noob here, so go easy on me.
    07-09-2013 05:10 PM
    e2fsck is for ext2 filesystems, and the flash memory in the OV is formatted yaffs2.
    I'm not aware of a utility to check the integrity of yaffs2 systems... now I'm curious.
    you can unmount any partition while in recovery, through the mounts and partitions menu, and use adb to examine them, if you want to fool around.
    07-09-2013 05:21 PM
    Yeah, I don't see anything useful with adb. Ah well.
    07-09-2013 09:19 PM
    Yeah, I don't see anything useful with adb. Ah well.
    I found this:
    Concerned about partially written block detected
    There is no fsck. That's the job of the yaffs scanner and will run every time
    yaffs mounts a partition without a valid checkpoint.
    if that applies to our devices too, a battery-pull shutdown may force a scan on reboot. when (if) it scans, it should blacklist bad blocks as needed.
    Also yaffs2 is /supposed/ to handle bad blocks efficiently. I'm not so sure about all of the utilities in recovery. For example, flash_image seems to vary in how well it works on different OV's, but the regular backup/restore sequence doesn't seem to have the same issues. I /think/ the recovery moves files one at a time for restore in /system and /data, instead of using flash_image, but it'd about have to use flash_image to restore the boot partition. I've not dug too far into recovery code to verify that theory, though. Just watched it operate.
    Chris Clawson likes this.
    07-09-2013 09:54 PM