I did a fresh install on mirage and i noticed that everything in gapps made my phone slower and used up more battery/resources- (especially when the market installs all its updates and other background apps).

so knowing that i went and searched for market alternatives. I installed the rom again this time without gapps - my phone is fantastic in terms of speed and the battery has no doubt noticeably improved.

Best thing- there are tons of google play alternatives- amazon to start with and so many more independent non intrusive non resources hoggish market alternatives that you can shut off / freeze without messing anything up and you can always have a back up of one that does have gapps installed in case you really need to play that certain game that is out only on google play etc.

just a tip to those that like their privacy and their phone less bloated . dont go installing every alternative market . first read reviews and use common sense . or feel free to PM me for alternatives.
    07-29-2013 05:25 PM
    I've said for a long time that gapps hogs resources, drops speed, and cuts battery life with all the syncing (whether or not you turn off what you can.)
    the privacy issues are well documented, too.

Without multiboot, I often install a gapps-bloated version of the rom I'm using, back it up to recovery, and use a no-gapps install.
    when I absolutely must have something from the market, I backup, restore the gapps version, download, copy the new apk from /data/app to the sdcard, and restore my daily driver version. then install the new app from the card.
    07-30-2013 10:12 AM
    What is an example of great battery life?
    07-30-2013 06:25 PM
    What is an example of great battery life?
    Ill try to get a battery chart screenshot withing the next week
    07-30-2013 06:51 PM
    I use the 20110828 Gapps
    I use Periodic Auto Sync.
    I use Fast Reboot
    I clean my caches twice a week.
    I use Link2SD

The RAM is the key to how fast or slow your phone is.
    If my RAM is above 50% (usually its above 60%), my phone is super smooth and fast and apps open at the blink of an eye.
    When RAM gets below 50% things slow down.

Note: My Random Entropy Value is allways above 3800 which helps with smoothness. It feels like my finger is being repeled from the screen.
    Edit: I almost forgot. I use Link2SD to delete Gapps and preinstalled ROM apps I dont need or use. Stock browser/car home/live wallpaper/stock launcher/etc.
    This helps get my RAM up as well.
    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    07-31-2013 08:39 AM