help with upgrading from gingerbread to ics

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody! The folks on this forum were so helpful to me when I wanted to take my stock OpV, root it & install gingerbread. It was surprisingly easy, and I did it to 3 phones. At the time, there wasn't a working ICS rom but now there is! I'm thinking about going to the quattrimus ics rom, and I've got a few questions. (since there's not a step by step ***** proof guide that I can find, like there is with gingerbreak.)

1.) My current rom is the one that the step by step guide talked about: CGM 7.2.0 backside IHO. I went from stock to this, now how do I go from one rom to another?
2.) Rumor has it that quattrimus has issues with 2SD type apps...what about regular old App2SD? I've used it for, well, forever it seems and I'd really like to keep it if I can.
3.) I also read somewhere about how folks were able to make a partition & increase their internal memory to some insane amount & have a ton of apps with out worrying about running out of room. Seems to me that even though I have tons of room on my SD card, and nearly all my apps are on said sd card, I still end up cutting it close on internal memory & having to uninstall less important apps. (I guess even though something's on the sd, it still has "fragments" on internal???) Ok, so how does one go about doing this partition?

Any tips, tricks, how-tos, warnings & recommendations would be mucho appreciated! :D

atrain2324

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi everybody! The folks on this forum were so helpful to me when I wanted to take my stock OpV, root it & install gingerbread. It was surprisingly easy, and I did it to 3 phones. At the time, there wasn't a working ICS rom but now there is! I'm thinking about going to the quattrimus ics rom, and I've got a few questions. (since there's not a step by step ***** proof guide that I can find, like there is with gingerbreak.)

1.) My current rom is the one that the step by step guide talked about: CGM 7.2.0 backside IHO. I went from stock to this, now how do I go from one rom to another?
2.) Rumor has it that quattrimus has issues with 2SD type apps...what about regular old App2SD? I've used it for, well, forever it seems and I'd really like to keep it if I can.
3.) I also read somewhere about how folks were able to make a partition & increase their internal memory to some insane amount & have a ton of apps with out worrying about running out of room. Seems to me that even though I have tons of room on my SD card, and nearly all my apps are on said sd card, I still end up cutting it close on internal memory & having to uninstall less important apps. (I guess even though something's on the sd, it still has "fragments" on internal???) Ok, so how does one go about doing this partition?

Any tips, tricks, how-tos, warnings & recommendations would be mucho appreciated! :D

1. You cannot go from GB to ICS without wiping your phone completely (that is called a dirty flash, which is ONLY recommended between ROM versions only). I assume you have a working custom recovery (the one I use is called Cannibal Open Touch). If you do, I suggest you backup your current ROM. But before you do that, I would strongly suggest using Titanium Backup or a similar program from Play Store to back your apps+data up to your SD card.

Once you got that all, you need to download the ICS ROM of your choice (explained below) to the root of your SD card. I believe you already know how to flash that along with the Gapps!

2. The ICS rom I highly recommend is TheKraven's Cold as ICE ROM. Yes, it was developed for the Optimus S but he has a fix that allows it to be placed on the V (just a simple keyswap, although his fix for some reason keeps the carrier name as Sprint). It is really fast and has a pair of ext scripts built in (I would choose DC2SD, which is apps+dalvik to SD-EXT). Follow his instructions and you will be fine!

3. PM me for that. Got a solution for that since it appears you are interested in doing some simple dirty work in achieving that on an ICS ROM! However, the solution will require a little clearing out of system space so a pair of scripts can be flashed to system via recovery to overcome any complications!

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
+1^? great advice, atrain2324, but i think she would be better to upgrade her recovery to COT recovery or Zengarden recovery while she's at it. These recoveries have come a long way in advantages, especially for new users. Zengarden saved me from bricking my phone twice in the past, but i'll leave that up to her.

AndyOpie150 has come up with a very user friendly guide to follow that you could incorporate in with atrain's directions.
http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/697813-how-install-flash_image-flash-recovery-rom-theme.html

Sorry, don't mean to make this confusing for you, you could always switch recoveries later.

Good luck!

Last edited:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
If you decide you don't like ICS or Jellybean (our phones don't have the necessary processor or sufficient RAM to allow them to function properly), Try the MiRaGe ROM. It is by far the smoothest, fastest, multitasking monster of a ROM for our V. Nothing else is better.
If you want to learn how to set up Link2SD on it, we can help with that as well.

I have 93 downloaded apps. I have 100.47MB of Internal Storage still left, and usually anywhere from 65% to 50% RAM free (I used Link2SD to easily delete bloatware apps from the system). Because I have the apps linked using Link2SD, they open up in the blink of an eye.
Partitioning the SD card with an optimal 1.5GB partition (recommended to use at least an 8 GB sd card) and formating it to ext.4 can easily be done with the ZenGarden recovery.

For more info and help just quote this post when you decide you don't really like ICS or Jellybean and want to try MiRaGe and Link2SD.

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
ptw7.gif

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
AndyOpie150 didn't mention this, but if you do go with Jellybean (JBC(CM) or PAC), your battery life is going to be generally horrific. At least that's been my experience. If I'm somewhere that I can keep my phone plugged in most of the day, it's not an issue, but if I'm traveling, it's a hassle. Over the course of an hour and fifteen minute drive, my phone will charge maybe 1% with the car charger. Sometimes it stays flat for the entire drive. May or may not be an issue for you, but it's something to consider. I just switched back to MiRaGe this morning, and I have zero complaints. It's responsive in a way that just isn't possible on a JB ROM. Even ICS is a little slower, although it has been my experience that battery life is pretty decent. There's pros and cons to any ROM you choose, but hopefully we've all given you a little better insight into what choice is right for you.

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
If you decide you don't like ICS or Jellybean (our phones don't have the necessary processor or sufficient RAM to allow them to function properly), Try the MiRaGe ROM. It is by far the smoothest, fastest, multitasking monster of a ROM for our V. Nothing else is better.
If you want to learn how to set up Link2SD on it, we can help with that as well.

I have 93 downloaded apps. I have 100.47MB of Internal Storage still left, and usually anywhere from 65% to 50% RAM free (I used Link2SD to easily delete bloatware apps from the system). Because I have the apps linked using Link2SD, they open up in the blink of an eye.
Partitioning the SD card with an optimal 1.5GB partition (recommended to use at least an 8 GB sd card) and formating it to ext.4 can easily be done with the ZenGarden recovery.

For more info and help just quote this post when you decide you don't really like ICS or Jellybean and want to try MiRaGe and Link2SD.

Well, I've decided to not go through with trying an ICS rom, as I already have crappy battery life & don't wish to make it worse or jack up my phone. But what I am interested in is if you could point me to a noob proof step by step guide for gaining all the internal storage like you described here, and in another thread. I have root access, gingerbreak, etc....in fact, this is exactly what all I've done to my phone: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...-how-simplified-root-recovery-custom-rom.html and that's all. I keep running into the issue of running low on internal memory, even though all my apps are on my SD card. Can you help me?

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a custom recovery installed and the stock ROM backed up?

Here is a good guide on how to do those things necessary after rooting: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...all-flash_image-flash-recovery-rom-theme.html

The ZenGarden is great for new rooted users and has the ability to change the ext.3 partition format that is made by the recovery to ext.4 format. It can be found here: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...den-2-0-3-3-t-01-30-2013-a-2.html#post5322772
Look toward the bottom of the first post and download the VM670_ZenGarden_Touch.

For Link2SD tutorial go here: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/695963-link2sd-tutorial-new-updated-version.html

For MiRaGe ROM go here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...-mirage-cm7-2-iho-07132013-a.html#post1844735
After everything is setup go to the PlayStore and download an app called "Check Random Entropy Available". If your entropy value is less than 3000 then go here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...37-treak-entropy_n_rngd-tool.html#post2542536
Download the "entropy.zip" as this is the one for the MiRaGe ROM. You will need to flash the CWMT Recovery_5.0.2.7_th7_thunderc.img (which has the touch screen controls) in order to flash the entropy.zip. It can be found here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...ery-cwmt-recovery-5-0-2-7-th7-t-touch-ov.html Go to second link in post.
All that is needed is to wipe the cache partition and the dalvik cache both before and after flashing the entropy.zip.
Following the first guide linked to will make it easy to change from on recovery to another.

Since your last post I have found that the SlimRom (Jellybean-CM10) has good battery life (you just have to give the battery stats about a week to accumulate until you get accrurate battery readings).
I have a Galaxy S4 MOD THEME of this ROM called Bean_Whiz which is here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...rom-mod-theme-bean_whiz-cm10.html#post3098301
I am actively trying to improve this in not only looks but in function.

This should give you everything you need and explain everything necessary. Read over the guide several times. Make sure all questions are answered before proceding.

Any questions, all of us here are here to help.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37