"Package File Is Invalid" - Neverending nightmare

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
To damiandownfall:
Step 7: After successfully flashing all 4, find the option to create a new SD card partition. Make the partition size at LEAST a gig and a half. I chose 3 gigs.

First let me go on record as saying that making a 3GB partition is A. Hard on the phone, and B. really hard on the SD card and will lead to failure of the SD card way before it's time.
Although you may think this is working great right now, it is very bad in the long run for both the phone and the SD card.

The rule of thumb is never use more than 20% of the actual space available on the SD card for the partition. You need at least a 1GB partition in order for Link2SD to work properly.
The smaller the partition the better it is for the phone. If you have less than a hundred apps linked with Link2SD then a 1GB partition is great. Anything over 100 apps linked and you will need to consider making a 1.5GB partition.

To damiandownfall:
Go download Link2SD asap! Choose "ext4" then reboot your phone. Then go to Link2SD's settings. Make sure auto-link is checked, and re-link at boot is checked.

If SomeoneVeryConfused has any widget apps or apps that need to access the system functions like volumes and such, then they need to go on the internal storage. If linked with Link2SD they will not function properly or fail. Only choose the Auto Link function in Link2SD settings after those have been installed.

To SomeoneVeryConfused:
Step 5 can be accomplished by going to the wipe option in ZenGarden and selecting each option once.

In the BobZohme modified ClockworkMod VM670NH_recovery.img or the CWMT Recovery_5.0.2.7-th7_thunderc.img or the Xionia recovery
Wipe:
wipe data/factory reset
cache partition
dalvik cache (found in the advanced section)

Format:
(in the mounts and storage section)
format boot
format cache
format data
format system
format sd ext (if you have a partition on the sd card)

The ZenGarden recovery is great for making the SD card partition and converting the partition from ext.3 to ext.4. It does have a problem flashing things like the entropy.zip and might not even flash the kernel. Also: You can not use it to flash the ZV9 update or it will cause a bricked phone.
It would be best to use the ZenGarden recovery to make the partition and change it to ext.4, then flash the BobZohme VM670NH_recovery img which is the best at doing everything including flashing the ZV9 update without bricking the phone, flashing the entropy.zip, and the MiRaGe kernel.
It can be found here: VM670NH_recovery
You can also use the CWMT Recovery 5.0.2.7-th7 which has the touch screen controls, but you can't use it to flash the ZV9 update. It can be found here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...overy-5-0-2-7-th7-t-touch-ov.html#post1634762
Use the second link.

I usually use the CWMT and keep the Xionia recovery in it's zipped form in case I need to get out of a recovery loop (I have a ZV4 V). The Xionia recovery is also safe to use when flashing the ZV9 update. Xionia can be found here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...-custom-recovery-custom-roms.html#post1200365
Look at the bottom of the first post. You will see an attachment, that's the one.

If you have a ZV5 V then the zipped version of the COT would be the best bet for getting out of a recovery loop. I can't find a download link anywhere. I think damiandownfall will need to help with that one.

To damiandownfall:
The rest of your advice is really good including the use of the MiRaGe build that is in you zip. It is the best MiRaGe mrg666 has developed.

To SomeoneVeryConfused:
Note: For the best battery off charge times and the best overall performance, use the Interactive governor and set the CPU speed at min 480MHz-max 768MHz.

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
True though, widgets usually failed when I had the backside-iho rom.

And I've never been past 769mb on my partition so yeah 1 to 1.5gb should do quite nicely.

But now I have 3gb of partition and I don't know if I wanna go through the trouble of re-partitioning it and moving apps around thus possibly screwing something up.

---------------------
Android enthusiast

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a Linux OS or just a Windows OS.
I have both. In my Linux OS I can see all the contents of my ext.4 partition. This also means I can copy paste the contents to a folder on the computer. See where I'm going with this?
You should even be able to set up a Linux virtual machine on the Windows OS and accomplish the same thing.

Once you are done re-partitioning the SD card and formatting to the ext.4 format, you should be able to copy/paste everything back into new partition.

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Do you have a Linux OS or just a Windows OS.
I have both. In my Linux OS I can see all the contents of my ext.4 partition. This also means I can copy paste the contents to a folder on the computer. See where I'm going with this?
You should even be able to set up a Linux virtual machine on the Windows OS and accomplish the same thing.

Once you are done re-partitioning the SD card and formatting to the ext.4 format, you should be able to copy/paste everything back into new partition.

Uh. I can see everything and I have Windows just using a simple folder view.

---------------------
Android enthusiast

SomeoneVeryConfused

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the delay. I went out with my family today and was unable to do much.

I have some catching up to do, it seems. That, and a headache... still :/

To fix the invalid package issue for good install CacheDownload2SD https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...oid.cachedownload2sdcard&hl=en&token=4eNcsy9P

It does require a rooted device.

Since I installed it I have not had anymore issues with invalid packages.

Didn't work. I was hoping this would work and I wouldn't have anything to worry about after I finished reflashing. I'm gonna do that no matter what.

I tried multiple combinations of checkboxes and hoped those would work. It has root access but it's not doing anything...

Anyway...
Everything is all backed up. Titanium and Nandroid anyway. I'll transfer things to my PC tomorrow and go from there.

Anyway, I have a ZV5 baseband and Windows 7. No Linux. Too complex for me.

So... what's my best option for a recovery? I can't make heads or tails of this entire discussion... it's confusing me in my rather congested, dizzy-from-seeing-Gravity state... :/

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the delay. I went out with my family today and was unable to do much.

I have some catching up to do, it seems. That, and a headache... still :/

Didn't work. I was hoping this would work and I wouldn't have anything to worry about after I finished reflashing. I'm gonna do that no matter what.

I tried multiple combinations of checkboxes and hoped those would work. It has root access but it's not doing anything...

Anyway...
Everything is all backed up. Titanium and Nandroid anyway. I'll transfer things to my PC tomorrow and go from there.

Anyway, I have a ZV5 baseband and Windows 7. No Linux. Too complex for me.

So... what's my best option for a recovery? I can't make heads or tails of this entire discussion... it's confusing me in my rather congested, dizzy-from-seeing-Gravity state... :/

Go to my post that has multiple steps. Except when I say "at least a gig and a half" change that to "either a gig or 1.5 gigs".

---------------------
Android enthusiast

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Read through my post several times where I discuss the Recovery.
The ZenGarden will help you make the partition and then convert that ext.3 partition to the much needed ext.4. I have found that is is not very good at flashing patches and sometimes even kernels, so look at the other options I mentioned once you have your partition made and reformatted to ext.4 with the ZenGarden.

SomeoneVeryConfused

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
After yet another misfortune, this time with my mouse... I'm here.

Titanium has been run.

Re-nandroiding...
Backing up to computer...
Downloading Damian's ZIP...
Putting Damian's ZIP on my wiped 2GB SD card (why erase my good 8GB one if I don't have to?)...
Flashing 0 ZIP...
Reboot recovery...

I am in ZenGarden. It's giving me a message here...
"No app2sd partition found. Skipping format of /sd-ext."

I presume this is okay for now, because I will be partitioning later. So here I go to flashing! 1 was fast, 2 didn't take as long as I thought, 3 was incredibly quick, 4 was just as fast.

The Partition Manager in ZenGarden here has a "More than a Gig and a Half" option. Okay, I need to remount the SD card I'm using... welp, I guess this was my mistake. God, I'm an ***** sometimes... *fingers crossed*

Creating 1638M ext4 partition on the 8GB SD I swapped out and rebooted into... welp.

Okay, that seems to have worked. I hope I didn't blow it again by not thinking this one through all the way with the whole SD card swappage thing... I hate myself sometimes.

Boot screens look the same as before.

Okay this is definitely a clean install.

And it seems like the partition thing screwed me over because I didn't back up enough to my computer in my hastiness to get this over with. BOO.

Oh wells, it's not a big deal. I've been in this situation before, and I can live through it again. Titanium can at least help. Link2SD first... after the "Internal" thing, which is done.

I'll be back once I get apps and whatnot back in place... and my battery charged. Hoping for the best after all this drama!

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
After yet another misfortune, this time with my mouse... I'm here.

Titanium has been run.

Re-nandroiding...
Backing up to computer...
Downloading Damian's ZIP...
Putting Damian's ZIP on my wiped 2GB SD card (why erase my good 8GB one if I don't have to?)...
Flashing 0 ZIP...
Reboot recovery...

I am in ZenGarden. It's giving me a message here...
"No app2sd partition found. Skipping format of /sd-ext."

I presume this is okay for now, because I will be partitioning later. So here I go to flashing! 1 was fast, 2 didn't take as long as I thought, 3 was incredibly quick, 4 was just as fast.

The Partition Manager in ZenGarden here has a "More than a Gig and a Half" option. Okay, I need to remount the SD card I'm using... welp, I guess this was my mistake. God, I'm an ***** sometimes... *fingers crossed*

Creating 1638M ext4 partition on the 8GB SD I swapped out and rebooted into... welp.

Okay, that seems to have worked. I hope I didn't blow it again by not thinking this one through all the way with the whole SD card swappage thing... I hate myself sometimes.

Boot screens look the same as before.

Okay this is definitely a clean install.

And it seems like the partition thing screwed me over because I didn't back up enough to my computer in my hastiness to get this over with. BOO.

Oh wells, it's not a big deal. I've been in this situation before, and I can live through it again. Titanium can at least help. Link2SD first... after the "Internal" thing, which is done.

I'll be back once I get apps and whatnot back in place... and my battery charged. Hoping for the best after all this drama!

Sounds great so far. Once Link2SD starts auto linking and you get the settings you want on the phone, everything will be a breeze.

There's a great tutorial on how to get the most out of Link2SD right on the developer's website... Lemme grab that link here...

Here it is. http://www.link2sd.info/faq

---------------------
Android enthusiast

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Oh and don't forget to check out my official website for future updates. I'll be covering everything Android that I can including tips and tricks, photography, hacks, reviews and etc.

www.damiandownfall.com

You can add me on the social networks page.

---------------------
Android enthusiast

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Question: Do you have/or ever had, an LG Optimus V?

Yes? That's why I am pretty much only seen in this part of AC. Also I said I was running MiRaGe on it. Trying to win an LG G2 then I probably won't be in this part again but that's beside the point.

---------------------
Android enthusiast

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I must have missed that. Brain dead (Actually brain to old). Sorry about that.
You link lead to a LG G2 discussion site you created. Nothing about the V. My brain jumped to conclusions.

Sorry. I'm a little on the defensive since your bad advice about the fix permissions thru the recovery ruined all my patient hard work to resolve the OPs problem, without having to flash a new ROM. I'm kinda expecting for you to post more bad info which might do more harm than good.
Please don't take offense, I've been helping people fix their V's for over two years because I genuinely care. I've seen a lot of well meaning, but way bad advice posted that usually does more harm than good, solely due to inexperience on the part of the poster. Kinda of figured you for the later, so I've been on high alert.

Posted via Android Central App

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
You link lead to a LG G2 discussion site you created. Nothing about the V. My brain jumped to conclusions.

Sorry. I'm a little on the defensive since your bad advice about the fix permissions thru the recovery ruined all my patient hard work to resolve the OPs problem, without having to flash a new ROM. I'm kinda expecting for you to post more bad info which might do more harm than good.
Please don't take offense, I've been helping people fix their V's for over two years because I genuinely care. I've seen a lot of well meaning, but way bad advice posted that usually does more harm than good, solely due to inexperience on the part of the poster. Kinda of figured you for the later, so I've been on high alert.

you should see on xda, because the powers that be put the optimus one and v together in discussion forum, people are always suggesting solutions that'll work on the o1 but brick the v with it's incompatible chipset.

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Well I've had the OV for 2 years and have learned a lot from it.

About the fix permissions thing - I've never had to use it, so that explains the lack of knowledge on that part but I'm really intelligent so yes I've noticed your little act on trying to grab the attention of the OP more than I have.

I gave advice that came originally from you by the way in another post in another thread. So your story there only applies to one single suggestion that the OP didn?t even perform.

It's not an LG G2 discussion site, it's a site that has just been started. Just so happens that I entered the LG G2 contest at the same time. Also, the site doesn't revolve around our one phone it will be meant for the entire Android community and so will my Android service that I plan to unveil in a month or so.

You had no way of knowing this so it's not your fault. Would've appreciated a private message first though before deciding to call me out in public based solely on my one to one person advice here.

But yeah my advice originally came from you.

---------------------
Android enthusiast

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
My site will make a lot more sense AFTER I release my service.

Like the blog of the creator of Minecraft, I shall have a blog for myself that will be the "creator's blog" for my service.

High alert. Lol that's actually really really funny. I'm usually the person everyone goes to just not on here. Guess this is competition. Haven't had any competition in a while.

---------------------
Android enthusiast

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
All in all, guards being up was expected, I was hoping to start my "helping others with the ov" here on AC.

Oh and my site is also in the middle of a revision stage. I'm fixing to speed up the loading time for PC and give the site a different look for both PC and mobile versions.

---------------------
Android enthusiast