08-07-2017 09:49 PM
1,625 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    Are you saying you need a dmesg of OS2SD ROM right after bootup or OS2SD with the mod you mentioned?

Posted via Android Central App
    The first. Actually from any 3.08 kernel install on s firmware.
    03-08-2014 01:52 AM
    Currently using an app called lag free by Grilled Monkey. Seems to,really work to reduce clock lag but the free version does not have a scheduler so you have to reapply it from time to time. Wondering if anyone else has tried, specially the paid version with built in scheduler.
    03-08-2014 06:26 AM
    Currently using an app called lag free by Grilled Monkey. Seems to,really work to reduce clock lag but the free version does not have a scheduler so you have to reapply it from time to time. Wondering if anyone else has tried, specially the paid version with built in scheduler.
    the clock lag bugs me.
    I have seen lockscreen clock one wrong time, cLock widget on home screen another wrong time, statusbar clock yet another incorrect time, all while device info live wallpaper shows the correct time. it reads the time from the kernel rather than the android system, I think.
    Lpen21 likes this.
    03-08-2014 07:29 AM
    the clock lag bugs me.
    I have seen lockscreen clock one wrong time, cLock widget on home screen another wrong time, statusbar clock yet another incorrect time, all while device info live wallpaper shows the correct time. it reads the time from the kernel rather than the android system, I think.
    Yeah it doesn't eliminate but Thought it helped some, maybe more placebo effect.
    03-08-2014 08:27 AM
    Yeah it doesn't eliminate but Thought it helped some, maybe more placebo effect.
    Ok I think there may be something to this app. I have noticed that clocks do not always match but they seem to refresh within 5-10 seconds. Have had this app x 4 hours now and it seems to be off by no more than one minute when it's not synced. Just for giggles I also turned the cpu to 748/245 and installed a different theme( this combination really exacerbated lag before) and still running like a champ. So far I have not had the clock freeze to the point of needing to click screen off. I have the os2sd build with reg Gapps. I have the paid version .99 that adds daily scheduler. Can anyone else reproduce these findings?
    03-08-2014 10:56 AM
    Haven't had chance till now, but looks like it won't work. Will try some other ideas though.

Mk cool.
    03-08-2014 03:14 PM
    yay, upstream fixed 3g data again.
    and mms works now out of the box without any nasty hackery like I had in DcTracker to initialize the apn. as a plus for me, Team-Hydra pulled my Virgin Mobile MMS patch upstream so now I don't have to add anything funny to the build for working mms.
    Still things all wanky from cm, and I am trying to settle it all down.
    03-08-2014 04:13 PM
    For grins and your elucidation, (based on ibcoder's partition layouts referred to by firerat's mtd partition mod)
    here is the default optimus v mtd layout in kernel command line form.
    Code:
    BOARD_KERNEL_CMDLINE := mem=471M console=ttyMSM2,115200n8 androidboot.hardware=thunderc lge.rev=10 mtdparts=msm_nand:112k@2f20000(boot),1762k@2f20000(cache),112k@9d40000(recovery),20k@a440000(splash),16k@a580000(FOTA_STO),2632k@a680000(system),2862k@14b0000(userdata),8k@1fde0000(misc),24k@1fe60000(persist)

boo. the kernel has to get the command line internally for the whole length to stick and then it just ignores the mtdparts. even using firerat's optimus s mtd partition values.
    notice the partition sizes are in decimal but the addresses are in hex.
    I plan to tweak this if it works by removing /data and adding it to /system. /cache and /system will reside on mtd and /data will operate from the card ext partition 3. but it's not looking good. the mtdparts is enabled in kernel config, has been the whole time.
    03-08-2014 05:32 PM
    Haven't had chance till now, but looks like it won't work. Will try some other ideas though.

Got another idea. Might be the VM heap size forcing the newer Google+ to FC. I downloaded a couple apps, one called Simple Root Swap that allowed me to create a swap file on SD. The other is VM Heap Tool and it allowed me to bump up the heap to 64m.

Do that and see if it works. I'm on GB right now, can't test myself. Oh yeah, test the 33.50mb version of Google+ not the GB version of course.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
    03-08-2014 09:44 PM
    Got another idea. Might be the VM heap size forcing the newer Google+ to FC. I downloaded a couple apps, one called Simple Root Swap that allowed me to create a swap file on SD. The other is VM Heap Tool and it allowed me to bump up the heap to 64m.

Do that and see if it works. I'm on GB right now, can't test myself. Oh yeah, test the 33.50mb version of Google+ not the GB version of course.
    Just F.Y.I. you can change the vmheap size in the build.prop.
    03-09-2014 01:07 PM
    Just F.Y.I. you can change the vmheap size in the build.prop.
    I know but I'm always weary of changing things directly on Android. In this case, I have no idea what the good values of VM Heap are but the app does so I don't mess anything up. I'm paranoid lol.

Probably why I've never built a ROM yet. If I just wasn't paranoid, I'd probably obsess over development and create amazing things.
    badblue1__ likes this.
    03-09-2014 02:52 PM
    Holy crap. I can't believe you guys have KitKat working on this phone! I haven't had the Optimus in almost 2 years and I'm amazed that this little guy is still kicking.

I remember three days if Jerry Script pumping out IHO updates!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    TrikkJames and badblue1__ like this.
    03-09-2014 03:36 PM
    Holy crap. I can't believe you guys have KitKat working on this phone! I haven't had the Optimus in almost 2 years and I'm amazed that this little guy is still kicking.

I remember three days if Jerry Script pumping out IHO updates!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    I too remember those days. This place has slowed down quite a lot but the development continues. I still keep my ov as my backup phone and have it active on page plus. Been having some fun playing with the os2sd build lately. It's funny though because my newer phone is still waiting on an official update before I can have kitkat with my locked bootloader. It's amazing how far the Optimus can be pushed

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    badblue1__ and mjs2011 like this.
    03-09-2014 05:21 PM
    Andy, I also installed crossbreeder and have no noticeable lag even at cpu settings below 729/480. I cranked it back up there per everyone's advice to do so , so maybe crossbreeder really helps. Also also I find that the skinny gaps zip seems a bit more stable to me the the other gaps package.
    Thanks. CrossBreeder does seem to help with the lag in opening apps. Apps are still a little laggy opening, but once opened, they seem to work fine.
    Page scrolling is much better.
    Entropy level is maxed out at 4096.

Still not able to multitask. If I try to do more than one thing at a time I get freezes and reboots.
    WiFi sometimes doesn't want to turn on till a reboot.

bigsupersquid: Great work so far. I don't seem to have any clock lag. I've had this ROM on the spare V for a few days and it's keeping time just fine.

03-10-2014 06:34 AM
    I must be one of the few that still prefers the internal version! Anyway, I haven't encountered too many things out of the ordinary. Works well as is, including the accelerometer. I link all apps with link2sd; link2sd and superuser are the only apps in internal memory. Have about 40 apps installed. Took out a few preinstalled apps like file manager and replaced them with their user equivalents. Time lag disappears a few hours after installing ROM.
    03-10-2014 07:56 AM
    Thanks. CrossBreeder does seem to help with the lag in opening apps. Apps are still a little laggy opening, but once opened, they seem to work fine.
    Page scrolling is much better.
    Entropy level is maxed out at 4096.

Still not able to multitask. If I try to do more than one thing at a time I get freezes and reboots.
    WiFi sometimes doesn't want to turn on till a reboot.

bigsupersquid: Great work so far. I don't seem to have any clock lag. I've had this ROM on the spare V for a few days and it's keeping time just fine.

Andy, actually uninstalled crossbreeder due to to FC and random reeboots. Instead installed seeder with no issues so far and maxed out at the same 4096. Uninstalled gallery due to occasional "Android media has stopped working" errors and replaced with quickpic. No more errors so far. Can multitask now without issue, though I use quick reboot when ram is low, especially with surfing. I do still have clock lag though seems to happen less often. Much less if I'm on wifi. Still having issue with lack of deep sleep if on wifi so I just turn off wifi if not in use. Other than that have had this for 2 weeks and love it. My new daily driver.
    03-10-2014 09:02 AM
    Andy, actually uninstalled crossbreeder due to to FC and random reeboots. Instead installed seeder with no issues so far and maxed out at the same 4096. Uninstalled gallery due to occasional "Android media has stopped working" errors and replaced with quickpic. No more errors so far. Can multitask now without issue, though I use quick reboot when ram is low, especially with surfing. I do still have clock lag though seems to happen less often. Much less if I'm on wifi. Still having issue with lack of deep sleep if on wifi so I just turn off wifi if not in use. Other than that have had this for 2 weeks and love it. My new daily driver.
    I wish I could have that attitude lol. Good to hear that OV-KitKat has become your daily. I'm stuck on GB at the moment because I require Google+ to work.
    03-10-2014 11:36 AM
    On the internel rom 0228(with and without latest kernel), skinny gapps is an absolute no go. Ive redownloaded, fresh clean install, wiped caches, cleared some extra room, and no dice.

Mounts2sd is also not behaving well with this update vs previous ones. It will install, but upon reboot it will hang on a black screen for days.(tried waiting 2 full days lol)

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
    03-10-2014 12:57 PM
    On the internel rom 0228(with and without latest kernel), skinny gapps is an absolute no go. Ive redownloaded, fresh clean install, wiped caches, cleared some extra room, and no dice.

Mounts2sd is also not behaving well with this update vs previous ones. It will install, but upon reboot it will hang on a black screen for days.(tried waiting 2 full days lol)

I bet you yelled at your phone lol. I can't stand to not be on my phone that long. I would've went postal.
    03-10-2014 01:21 PM
    When I had the internal ROM on the phone, I used thekravens latest ClockworkMod recovery version. I wiped and formatted everything but the SD card (I did format the SD ext partition). Installed ROM then rebooted. Back to recovery I installed SkinnyGapps (didn't wipe or format anything).Worked great.
    Link2SD worked for me.

Note: After wiping everything including the cache partition I went to mounts and storage option and unmounted the cache partition and sd ext partition before formatting everything but the SD card (you can't wipe or format a mounted partition in the recovery).

daffy_duck_nj likes this.
    03-10-2014 01:28 PM
    Still having issue with lack of deep sleep if on wifi so I just turn off wifi if not in use.
    Easy fix for that.

App Drawer > Settings > WiFi > hit Settings key > Advanced
    Change the 'Keep Wifi on during sleep' setting to 'only when plugged in'. That allows WiFi to shut off after a few minutes
    of no signal when the phone's not charging.

Aside from that, my only issue with KK so far is minor. Whenever I shut off the screen manually to let a streaming music
    app play by itself, it cuts off slightly for a split second. It also happens when the screen's turned on. Perhaps one of the
    entropy/seeder fixes might correct this (or some other internal script setting). Otherwise, not much of an issue for me.
    03-10-2014 03:29 PM
    Easy fix for that.

App Drawer > Settings > WiFi > hit Settings key > Advanced
    Change the 'Keep Wifi on during sleep' setting to 'only when plugged in'. That allows WiFi to shut off after a few minutes
    of no signal when the phone's not charging.

Aside from that, my only issue with KK so far is minor. Whenever I shut off the screen manually to let a streaming music
    app play by itself, it cuts off slightly for a split second. It also happens when the screen's turned on. Perhaps one of the
    entropy/seeder fixes might correct this (or some other internal script setting). Otherwise, not much of an issue for me.
    I have tried the advanced settings to only when plugged in as you suggested but to no avail. When I monitor with cpu spy 0 deep sleep with wifi on. I have seeder installed and still have the stutter, even with entropy values maxed out at 4096.
    03-10-2014 05:02 PM
    I wish I could have that attitude lol. Good to hear that OV-KitKat has become your daily. I'm stuck on GB at the moment because I require Google+ to work.
    I would go back to GB myself but 1.7 gigs storage available and near full functionality are hard to give up. I can live with a bit of clock lag and a few quirks that I'm sure can be ironed out. Hopefully you can get G+ To work at some point because this is cutting edge stuff and really quite stable
    03-10-2014 05:10 PM
    I bet you yelled at your phone lol. I can't stand to not be on my phone that long. I would've went postal.
    Actually, i didn't which surprises me. Im the same way with my phone, i cant be without out it for long. Haha

When I had the internal ROM on the phone, I used thekravens latest ClockworkMod recovery version. I wiped and formatted everything but the SD card (I did format the SD ext partition). Installed ROM then rebooted. Back to recovery I installed SkinnyGapps (didn't wipe or format anything).Worked great.
    Link2SD worked for me.

Note: After wiping everything including the cache partition I went to mounts and storage option and unmounted the cache partition and sd ext partition before formatting everything but the SD card (you can't wipe or format a mounted partition in the recovery).

thanks for the mounting tip!
    Despite these issues im having, ive still been using the rom without gapps and mounts2sd.
    I prefer mounts2sd over link2sd due to how much more effective it is fo me.

03-10-2014 05:59 PM
    I would go back to GB myself but 1.7 gigs storage available and near full functionality are hard to give up. I can live with a bit of clock lag and a few quirks that I'm sure can be ironed out. Hopefully you can get G+ To work at some point because this is cutting edge stuff and really quite stable
    The most quirks in my opinion happen in a browser that detects your OS version and tries to do the advanced stuff that the hardware just can't do.

Also I find it really hard not to use things like Lucky Patcher and doing workarounds to remove bloat or add to /system etc.
    03-10-2014 06:12 PM
1,625 ... 1213141516 ...