[ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

TrikkJames

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.2][OS2SD/internal]OV-KitKat (JBC based)

Only Dolphin Browser will provide the closest results?

Any browser that allows a custom user agent string. Dolphin Browser is the best browser that allows it.

I forgot where you can find custom user agent strings for Android browsers but I'm sure it's just a Google search away.

Melvin Jefferson

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

I was looking into xposed framework cause there is a google now module
[MOD][Xposed] Google Search / Now API - xda-developers
xposed is working now with ovkk
So play away.

How can I use this and is it more beneficial than the original GN launcher?

- - - Updated - - -

Any browser that allows a custom user agent string. Dolphin Browser is the best browser that allows it.

I forgot where you can find custom user agent strings for Android browsers but I'm sure it's just a Google search away.

I guess Dolphin it is lol!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

How can I use this and is it more beneficial than the original GN launcher?

oh, it's a dev tweak, and we can't use it directly because it targets the regular google search voice engine. But it shows how to pass intents to launch processes and feed them data, which has changed since the old voice search. Voice search could be wrapped similar to what they did before with the assistant widget but up-to-date so it feeds into the search bar on google now.

yaconsult asked about xposed originally, if I remember correctly.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

oh, it's a dev tweak, and we can't use it directly because it targets the regular google search voice engine. But it shows how to pass intents to launch processes and feed them data, which has changed since the old voice search. Voice search could be wrapped similar to what they did before with the assistant widget but up-to-date so it feeds into the search bar on google now.

yaconsult asked about xposed originally, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, it at least looks like the xposed framework itself could be used to get things working by bypassing stuff that doesn't work. Maybe I'll put in a plug to try and get someone to build us a now plugin to bypass Google's default engine.

Also, this week has been the first I've been taking my phone with me to work, and I'm still having battery issues. I took my phone off the charger at 7am, and it only made it until about 3pm. I've got an app to turn off wifi based on location gathered from cell radio, so wifi was off all day. I've also been using Greenify to hibernate, or whatever, almost every app, save for calling, messaging, etc. I'm also using AMC's app killer. Anyone doing anything else that's working well? My phone just will not let the processor sleep.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

...so, this week has been the first I've been taking my phone with me to work, and I'm still having battery issues. I took my phone off the charger at 7am, and it only made it until about 3pm. I've got an app to turn off wifi based on location gathered from cell radio, so wifi was off all day. I've also been using Greenify to hibernate, or whatever, almost every app, save for calling, messaging, etc. I'm also using AMC's app killer. Anyone doing anything else that's working well? My phone just will not let the processor sleep.

As an example: I have been testing the stock Gapps package (2xxMB download) on OS2SD. I can get days off a charge not using the phone with no wifi or gapps. With stock gapps alone, no other apps syncing, 3g on, wifi off and set to never wake on sleep policy, I lost 83% charge overnight.
my current /system size:
428MB

Lpen21

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, it at least looks like the xposed framework itself could be used to get things working by bypassing stuff that doesn't work. Maybe I'll put in a plug to try and get someone to build us a now plugin to bypass Google's default engine.

Also, this week has been the first I've been taking my phone with me to work, and I'm still having battery issues. I took my phone off the charger at 7am, and it only made it until about 3pm. I've got an app to turn off wifi based on location gathered from cell radio, so wifi was off all day. I've also been using Greenify to hibernate, or whatever, almost every app, save for calling, messaging, etc. I'm also using AMC's app killer. Anyone doing anything else that's working well? My phone just will not let the processor sleep.

I manually turn off wifi when not using it and get around 4% per hour drain. I also click "wifi on only when plugged in" in wifi advance settings. None of the battery saving apps worked, so I manually shut wifi off and the cpu goes into deep sleep. Still get drain if 3G signal is poor so I put in airplane mode at work and switch to wifi 3-4x/day for updates. Could be also your battery is dying with that kind of drain.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

As an example: I have been testing the stock Gapps package (2xxMB download) on OS2SD. I can get days off a charge not using the phone with no wifi or gapps. With stock gapps alone, no other apps syncing, 3g on, wifi off and set to never wake on sleep policy, I lost 83% charge overnight.
my current /system size:
428MB

So it looks like gapps sync is a major culprit. Hmm... I need sync enabled on other things because that's how I get work email, and I get texts through Google Voice (got a sweet setup through Ting where I don't pay anything for texts as they go through wifi and 3g, and calls through wifi are free too. About $15/month!). I thought I had Google now greenified, but I'll double check. Thanks!

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

I manually turn off wifi when not using it and get around 4% per hour drain. I also click "wifi on only when plugged in" in wifi advance settings. None of the battery saving apps worked, so I manually shut wifi off and the cpu goes into deep sleep. Still get drain if 3G signal is poor so I put in airplane mode at work and switch to wifi 3-4x/day for updates. Could be also your battery is dying with that kind of drain.

Battery should be fine as I was getting days to a charge (with use even) with similar settings on Reborn ROM less than two weeks ago. I know for a fact it's not going into deep sleep. System tuner is a great app that shows how much time it's in what processor state: deep sleep, 245, 600, 748, etc. It's show 0% in deep sleep now when I was spending a fair amount of time in deep sleep previously. I may have to uninstall apps one by one (starting with Now) till I find what's keeping my processor up.

Last edited:

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Sorry for the many posts. :-( Just found that when I try and sync Google account, I get a pattern of 5-10 syncing, done, syncing, done, syncing, within a 3 second span, then a sync error. Could this be causing the gapps battery drain? Is this a Rom, Kernel, or Gapps issue?

TrikkJames

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site

Sorry for the many posts. :-( Just found that when I try and sync Google account, I get a pattern of 5-10 syncing, done, syncing, done, syncing, within a 3 second span, then a sync error. Could this be causing the gapps battery drain? Is this a Rom, Kernel, or Gapps issue?

I think posting alot just helps the thread. It's not like we all have some chatroom to go to.

Lpen21

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

Battery should be fine as I was getting days to a charge (with use even) with similar settings on Reborn ROM less than two weeks ago. I know for a fact it's not going into deep sleep. System tuner is a great app that shows how much time it's in what processor state: deep sleep, 245, 600, 748, etc. It's show 0% in deep sleep now when I was spending a fair amount of time in deep sleep previously. I may have to uninstall apps one by one (starting with Now) till I find what's keeping my processor up.

Are you sure Wifi is actually being turned off? I went through the same problem a few weeks back and wifi on does not let CPU cycle into deep sleep at all whether or not I had sync on.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I just removed the app that I had turning it off. Rebooted, and turned it off manually. Same result.

Lpen21

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I just removed the app that I had turning it off. Rebooted, and turned it off manually. Same result.

Wow not cool. What settings have you got checked under wifi advanced? The other offending setting I had was "scanning always available" which I inadvertently Enabled after google search prompted, with that on same as wifi being on all the time as far as battery drain. Hope you find the offending app,or apps soon.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Wow not cool. What settings have you got checked under wifi advanced? The other offending setting I had was "scanning always available" which I inadvertently Enabled after google search prompted, with that on same as wifi being on all the time as far as battery drain. Hope you find the offending app,or apps soon.

Solved! You called it! Boy, those settings are buried deep. I'd forgotten to check there being that wifi was off, my assumption was that... wifi was off. Silly me. :p
Anywho, will test out battery again tomorrow, optimistically.

On to the next item on the agenda (yes I keep a running list). I'm still struggling installing some zips. My titanium backup created zip as well as zips I've created with zipme give a (status 0) error in cmw. Going to try another recovery. Suggestions? Twrp? I want something where the backups I've made in cwm work, and where I won't run into zip flashing issues. Links would be great! Thanks, and goodnight all! (Depending on where you live I guess)

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

sorry Andy.

somewhat on topic:
how much could I charge on the market for an armv6 offline voice assistant for current google now?
I should soon have beta. no xposed, no voice search, no hacked apks.

Lpen21

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

sorry Andy.

somewhat on topic:
how much could I charge on the market for an armv6 offline voice assistant for current google now?

What functions would be possible with this?, I'm assuming commands like "text" or "call"?

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

sorry Andy.

somewhat on topic:

Hmmm... hard to say without trying it. I'm also more the type to go looking for the best free thing out there, and then throw a small donation their way if it works great. I am intrigued tho, and did pay for the app for 2.0, so we'll see.