08-07-2017 09:49 PM
1,625 ... 2829303132 ...
tools
    that's the older file now, but yes. Another currently uploaded however it's untested.
    Status 7 is either something failed to copy or permissions failed to set. I think.

Even an opt S should hold the rom without gapps. Dunno why it won't fit.
    Try format system under mounts menu rather than using the batch format menu options.

And I need to modify the install posts, too many people have issues w crossbreeder.
    06-08-2014 02:10 AM
    What always works for me is to use the internal version and in philz recovery:
    Wipe:
    wipe data/factory reset > clean to install a new rom
    wipe cache partition
    wipe dalvik cache (in the advanced section)

Mounts and Storage option:
    format boot
    format system
    format data
    format cache
    format sd ext

Then I flash the ROM. Reboot system and wait 5 to 10 minutes.
    Once fully rebooted I go back to the recovery and install the Skinny Gapps, then reboot.

Did you remember to check the md5 sum?

One other question: How big is your SD card and what size is the ext.4 partition you made.
    06-08-2014 09:00 AM
    Thanks for the tech support, Andy.

I am testing the OS2SD version of yesterday's build now. Both it and the internal need some new stuff stripped out, like the CMUpdater. So these two releases are kind of temporary and only because:
    1) It's been forever since I had an update,
    2) moving to the next release is cool even if untested and needing work, and
    3) They need fixed up to be more, I feel, safe to use. I don't like that cmupdater one bit and it has an "update with cm recovery" in the system settings. since cm doesn't support us.... eww.

Soon, I will also make a stripped and skinny version of the pa_gapps since they've bumped up to 4.4.3 now. Bites to have to strip em yourself.

I saw nifty new other stuff in settings.... sdcard swap partition is natively supported.
    06-08-2014 10:15 AM
    Squid, have you encountered any clock lag issues with your 4.4.3 tests? That's probably the #1 issue for me as far as attempting to use this ROM regularly on my V. I think some users have tried various clock apps to get around this problem IIRC (esp for using alarms).
    Melvin Jefferson likes this.
    06-08-2014 10:39 AM
    Squid, have you encountered any clock lag issues with your 4.4.3 tests? That's probably the #1 issue for me as far as attempting to use this ROM regularly on my V. I think some users have tried various clock apps to get around this problem IIRC (esp for using alarms).
    I haven't had it on anything long enough yet to see any... But of course since I'm not relying on an alarm it most likely won't want to show itself. Murphy's Law you know. But I'm watching for it.
    06-08-2014 11:50 AM
    dang, the carrier fix zips need updated to 4.3.3
    06-08-2014 11:56 AM
    Hugh - Andy's instructions are spot-on. I've just installed the rom on two optimus v using the internal build and philz recovery.

Make sure your partitioning is correct. You want a big fat32 partition first on the sdcard followed by a 1-2 gb ext4 partition. Use the wipe for install option in the recovery.

I was wondering where the contacts app was - finally realized they renamed it to people!

Have others noticed widget issues? I found that when I tried to put some widgets on the screen, it just opened the app instead of putting the widget on the screen - like the contacts widget, for example.

What clock settings are people using for this rom on this phone?
    06-08-2014 04:07 PM
    Man this is killin me being stuck with the original sd card for this phone. Can't wait to try this rom out!!!

Well, they say good things come to those who wait. :
    06-08-2014 04:46 PM
    Man this is killin me being stuck with the original sd card for this phone. Can't wait to try this rom out!!!

Well, they say good things come to those who wait. :
    I put up a new internal build too, for those like you with wussy external storage It shouldn't need anything special to run.

TKruzze who updates the pa_gapps has done a few very nice things for us even though he wasn't aware of legacy device issues with certain apps until I pointed it out.

The real twinkie is the gapps_remover. You can flash one of his signed packages unmodified and use a text file on the root of the sdcard to tell the remover what gapps you don't want, and flash the remover. It culls all the libs and everything, plus sets a log file to prevent the same apps being installed on a later pa_gapps flash. Only really good for OS2SD, though, since we don't have the 87 Mb or so free for the micro package in internal.
    Working on the skinny 4.4.3 package now.
    Testing skinny package. It's missing a couple files because they won't fit... needs 12Mb free and won't flash if it won't fit. There's 3Mb free on my V after flashing it, an S will have less.
    May not work on an S until cmupdater and stuff is gone. Need testing Will upload to Drive... After it works.
    badblue1__ and AndyOpie150 like this.
    06-08-2014 04:54 PM
    Following AndyOpie150's instructions I get an error when trying to format sd-ext. Says "Error formatting /sd-ext!"

I'm using a PQI 8GB Class 10 microsd card.

I reflashed over to TWRP and formatted the microsd card that way. Reflashed back to philz and then installed bigsupersquid's newest release (6/08) and it says install completed. Reboot and just a blank screen.

BTW, bigsupersquid your gapps folder appears to be empty.
    bigsupersquid likes this.
    06-08-2014 06:42 PM
    Following AndyOpie150's instructions I get an error when trying to format sd-ext. Says "Error formatting /sd-ext!"

I reflashed over to TWRP and formatted the microsd card that way. Reflashed back to philz and then installed bigsupersquid's newest release (6/08) and it says install completed. Reboot and just a blank screen.

try the last 03/whatever release in the archive... the newest one is in testing.
    Use the older skinny gapps in the struckout text

the newest release flashes ok for me with no gapps...
    did you specifically format system under mounts and storage menu in philz? if not, it'll overflow, and not everything gets flashed.
    06-08-2014 06:45 PM
    Not sure if the 4.4.3 gapps will fit even if skinny on an Opt S. Got it down to a lame 23.1Mb with all the stuff it needs to barely connect to Play and such. Can cram it onto a V (with no leftover room) after trimming the rom.
    May have to incorporate Toucan's ext scripting but not sure yet.

ugh. the new gapps don't trim very nicely. run fine on os2sd... keep on digging.

for now, the old skinny gapps are working ok on internal.
    badblue1__ likes this.
    06-08-2014 07:57 PM
    Squid - I got your new OS2SD version running on my ZV4 - I used only TechVendetta's TWRP, and then only chose OS2SD partitions to mount.
    First I did the "Andy full clean" ;-) and soon had it chugging along with no issues - and tons of room 'cause of OS2SD. So I let it sit and percolate a while. Really no problems. Then I took a deep breath, backed up via TWRP and then installed the latest 4.3 GApps, again only specifying OS2SD partitions to mount. The entire GApps did install - no errors reported - but then - ah, maps services, play services etc began to continuously fail. Rats. I wonder if it's absolutely necessary to have GApps install internally? I guess you have already answered that by telling us you're trying hard to trim it down. BTW - do let me know if I can help. I've got a bit of time, and I'm happy to test - heck, 2MB left over is plenty =) I was so eager to find a file at the end of that new trimmed GApps link you threw up there - it's like waiting for Santa! You tease you! Thanks for your work - it's really a treat to be able to keep up with the releases on the old VM670!
    Oh yeah, the SD card is a class 10 32GB SanDisk - no problems at all with that card - and cost less than 20 bucks.
    06-08-2014 10:33 PM
    The real twinkie is the gapps_remover. You can flash one of his signed packages unmodified and use a text file on the root of the sdcard to tell the remover what gapps you don't want, and flash the remover. It culls all the libs and everything, plus sets a log file to prevent the same apps being installed on a later pa_gapps flash.
    I think you already gave me a clue. If I can follow the directions from TKruzze, and it looks pretty straight forward (famous last words) then I think I can get something Google-ish working.
    06-08-2014 11:26 PM
    I think you already gave me a clue. If I can follow the directions from TKruzze, and it looks pretty straight forward (famous last words) then I think I can get something Google-ish working.
    You definitely will have to use the OS2SD, because not even the micro gapps will flash (about 4x too big) and you have to flash them before the remover. I see you are, though.
    The remover does list all the apps and their related lib files if you're messing with internal.
    You can even put the 'stock' 200+MB package on OS2SD as long as you remove g+ and the keyboard libs. The big killers are the libjni_latinime.so and all the google+ stuff. google Now is ok if you get into the google settings, now & search, voice, hotword detection, and turn it off.
    06-09-2014 02:16 AM
    I keep running into problems installing because there's not enough room. There has to be enough room to install before link2sd can move it to the sdcard. I guess I'll go to twrp os2sd recovery and os2sd rom version and see how that works.

I'm a little confused about the cache partition.

advise 2Gb VFAT, 1Gb EXT4, 512Mb EXT4, 1Mb EXT4 in that order. Those become /sdcard, /data, /system, and /cache//edit: /cache is back on MTD and I will probably move /system over there once I stabilize a way to mount two MTD partitions together without aufs.

So we should no longer do /cache? And does twrp mount the partitions automatically, or do we manually mount them whenever we run the recovery?
    06-09-2014 02:33 AM
    I keep running into problems installing because there's not enough room. There has to be enough room to install before link2sd can move it to the sdcard. I guess I'll go to twrp os2sd recovery and os2sd rom version and see how that works.

I'm a little confused about the cache partition.

advise 2Gb VFAT, 1Gb EXT4, 512Mb EXT4, 1Mb EXT4 in that order. Those become /sdcard, /data, /system, and /cache//edit: /cache is back on MTD and I will probably move /system over there once I stabilize a way to mount two MTD partitions together without aufs.

So we should no longer do /cache? And does twrp mount the partitions automatically, or do we manually mount them whenever we run the recovery?
    no need for the ext cache, it uses internal now. but twrp wants a size for it, hadn't tried zero.
    you have to manually mount the os2sd partitions in twrp for gapps and other zips.

for now, the skinny gapps are working ok with 4.4.3, and I haven't gotten the proper ones working yet.

as far as the confusion, I need like two days to update all my OPs, they're long and confusing and much of them is out of date and needs archived. Sorry.
    badblue1__ and yaconsult like this.
    06-09-2014 02:41 AM
    got the 4.4.3 skinny gapps working. And uploaded.
    Nasty procedure though. I'll have to add it to the OP when I'm not working
    Have to manually strip the 6/8 internal release or use the 6/9 that's uploading now. Again, it may not fit an OptS, I dont remember the difference in system size, but there's not much extra room.

Flash rom and 4.4.2 skinny gapps. Reboot, log in, let google play services update. Reboot to recovery.
    Wipe system, reflash rom, flash 4.4.3 skinny gapps. Do NOT wipe dalvik-cache. Reboot, all seems good.
    Same thing should work for OS2SD and bigger gapps packages. Start with old skinny gapps sd version, log in and let it settle down. Reboot to recovery, and flash the bigger gapps package (it'll delete the old ones itself if you have the real pa_gapps and not stripped variants.) Leave the dalvik-cache, it'll rebuild itself for the new gapps
    06-09-2014 02:53 AM
    Big G probably sees it as a no no, but I think for simplicity I'm going to update gapps in a build and extract the play services etc as a flashable gapps-core, since this process is so wanky.
    One big advantage to this method would be that most gapps can be installed as user apps, so only the core services have to be in system, like the sync adapters (tiny, fit easy,) phonesky (play) and play services.
    badblue1__ and Shinkenred like this.
    06-09-2014 04:12 AM

When you reformat to allow for the external ROM you can't go back to the internal without deleting all the partitions on the SD card and then making one ext.4 partition of 1-1.5GB. You can however install a Froyo ROM (Harmonia, Harmonius Bumblebee, or the Resurrected Bumblebee) with a regular zipped version of a CWMod recovery, which your not using an ext partition script with, and have it boot up with no problem.

While I was testing the external build I had set up the Stock ROM without an ext partition script like Link2SD (just moved apps to SD card with App Manager). I used the zipped version of Xionia so I could flash it like a ROM in TechVendettas' recovery and restore the stock ROMs backup. This way I always had a good ROM to fall back on without having to repartition the SD card.
    One of the keys is having the recovery's in there zipped form so I could just flash from one to the other without having to use shell commands from a terminal.
    I have the Xionia, The CWMod touchscreen, philz, and Techvendetta's all in there zipped form.

You can only use no more than 20% of the actual free space on an SD card for the partition/partitions. This means you need at least an 8GB SD card with a 16GB being ideal.
    06-09-2014 05:45 AM
    I never had issues with a four partition card and other roms.
    Mirage, harmonia both run fine. Your ext-data partition becomes sd-ext and the roms don't seem to care about the copy of /data since the sd-ext stuff doesn't use the same directory structure.

Andy has the right idea with the various recovery zips.
    I do the same, swap recoveries for what I need at the time. Just remember to make backups in each if you have space cause twrp and cwm don't talk with each other.
    badblue1__ likes this.
    06-09-2014 08:25 AM
    bump
    today's versions uploaded. CMaccount and CMupdater removed, small space optimizations like removing aosp keyboard from internal build.

and zero clock lag yet. but I've had multiple installs so it's really only run overnight, and for a few hours at a time. Often an overnight caused the clock freeze, so that's actually a good sign.
    06-09-2014 10:22 AM
    Not sure if the 4.4.3 gapps will fit even if skinny on an Opt S. Got it down to a lame 23.1Mb with all the stuff it needs to barely connect to Play and such. Can cram it onto a V (with no leftover room) after trimming the rom.
    May have to incorporate Toucan's ext scripting but not sure yet.

ugh. the new gapps don't trim very nicely. run fine on os2sd... keep on digging.

for now, the old skinny gapps are working ok on internal.
    For some reason it wont let me d/l any apps from the play store.. Keeps Force Closing
    06-09-2014 11:55 AM
    I never had issues with a four partition card and other roms.
    Mirage, harmonia both run fine. Your ext-data partition becomes sd-ext and the roms don't seem to care about the copy of /data since the sd-ext stuff doesn't use the same directory structure.
    I've never been able to restore a backup of any ROM that I used an SD ext. script with, once I partitioned the SD card with TechVendettas' recovery. Just figured it was something to do with the way it partitioned it.

Andy has the right idea with the various recovery zips.
    I do the same, swap recoveries for what I need at the time. Just remember to make backups in each if you have space cause twrp and cwm don't talk with each other.
    That's what I was trying to say. Lol
    I made the backup of the stock ROM with the Xionia. If I needed to restore it, I would just flash the Xionia.zip in TechVendetta's recovery, then restore the backup of the stock ROM.
    06-09-2014 12:35 PM
    I've never been able to restore a backup of any ROM that I used an SD ext. script with, once I partitioned the SD card with TechVendettas' recovery. Just figured it was something to do with the way it partitioned it.
    Ah. I have never used sd-ext scripts so that would explain why I've had no problems that way.
    06-09-2014 01:39 PM
1,625 ... 2829303132 ...