08-07-2017 09:49 PM
1,625 ... 2930313233 ...
tools
    For some reason it wont let me d/l any apps from the play store.. Keeps Force Closing
    Did you let it update play services? Without that it won't do diddly.
    Tonight I'll try to finish patching up a simpler base-gapps zip specifically for thunderc 4.4.3
    Melvin Jefferson likes this.
    06-09-2014 01:40 PM
    I let it sync contacts, browser & calendar and there was nothing left to sync. So then I rebooted and tried to use it and it wouldnt do diddly

Cool I'll keep trying until you come up with that gapps
    bigsupersquid likes this.
    06-09-2014 03:45 PM
    How has the battery been on this rom, does wifi still kill it?
    06-09-2014 04:06 PM
    How has the battery been on this rom, does wifi still kill it?
    Like a kid with chocolate milk and a krazy straw
    06-09-2014 04:19 PM
    Like a kid with chocolate milk and a krazy straw
    Cleverly Said
    06-09-2014 04:37 PM
    Here's a fun twist.
    Found
    [COMMIT] [AOSP] JustArchi's ArchiDroid Optimizations - Increases performance up to 6x
    Tried it out. The -O3 optimizations work.
    the Linaro gcc 4.8 toolchain keeps the kernel from booting, but everything else runs.
    feels pretty slick. (google gcc 4.7 toolchain is default and what was being used before.)
    Gonna try to get the kernel to build with the linaro toolchain before releasing for tests.
    Go thank JustArchi in his xda thread if you're happy about this idea.
    06-09-2014 07:11 PM
    bump
    today's versions uploaded. CMaccount and CMupdater removed, small space optimizations like removing aosp keyboard from internal build.
    and zero clock lag yet. but I've had multiple installs so it's really only run overnight, and for a few hours at a time. Often an overnight caused the clock freeze, so that's actually a good sign.
    Thank you thank you - Well I've had this setup (4.4.3 OS2SD) + your skinny 4.4.3 GApps going now all day and have been loading as much stuff as I like on it - I haven't seen any issues as of yet! A big caveat however, is that so far I've only been on Wi-Fi. But I'm not anticipating any issues with the phone though as the mobile network signal comes in strong, and I am pretty sure it works because I can get the "please call your service rep for activation" msg. But I haven't actually called anyone or sent an SMS yet. Reason being, I'm using a spare VM670, one that doesn't have the phone activation any longer - (I was impelled to get another VM670 recently (ZV5) 'cause my wife was worried that while I was "playing around" with my phone, I was unreachable in case of emergency - and I had to agree.) So I put the 2.3.7 Mirage ROM on the new phone, and moved back to the "playing around". And I'm seeing a stability here that might let me move the phone activation back over to my orig ZV4. Somehow there's a terrific satisfaction to being as current as my wife's recently updated Nexus tablet. I've tried network and Internet printing, the cloud drives, Remote Desktop, TiBackup, Root uninstaller, Expedia, gallery, various music apps, it all works so far. Ah, well, except for the energy drain - "Like a kid with chocolate milk and a krazy straw " as you call it. Well, it ain't that bad if you just throw it into airplane mode at night - and keep an eye on other things that are the usual suspects like background sync etc. You can easily get a day's use of it being a phone and an occasional browser. Of course, now I must try ART. Thanks again for sharing!

Wow - just saw the post above about the ArchiDroid optimization... I very much understand your tag line BTW - it usually doesn't go over too well when I hole up in front of the PC all night =)
    06-09-2014 10:58 PM
    Just thought I mention this, ICS roms for the v have the best wifi-battery setup, I can stay connected for like 5 days with minimal use, but with the wifi connected or on. I think it was way better than gingerbread. That's why I think ICS roms are most stable. Only thing that all ics roms have in common is clock lag, yet the system clock and alarm is on par.
    06-10-2014 06:25 AM
    Just thought I mention this, ICS roms for the v have the best wifi-battery setup, I can stay connected for like 5 days with minimal use, but with the wifi connected or on. I think it was way better than gingerbread. That's why I think ICS roms are most stable. Only thing that all ics roms have in common is clock lag, yet the system clock and alarm is on par.
    I'll look at the quattrimus kernel again and check the wfif driver but I think the kernel source I used is related to that. Thanks for info.

@clwilliams: thanks for testing everything out, I can't even test some of that stuff! I totally get the joy of latest and greatest on obsolete hardware.
    06-10-2014 06:54 AM
    Download link here. Shared folder.

cm-11-20140609-internal-thunderc-md5-ae192e68806f91561ba6a049eb120a1a.zip

archive folder here if you want older builds for some reason.

New, stripped, skinny, pa_gapps micro here, but you have to flash the old 4.4.2 skinny gapps first, reboot, sign in and update google play services, reboot to recovery, wipe system, reflash the rom, flash the new skinny gapps, and reboot. Do NOT wipe /data or dalvik-cache except for the first flash of the ROM.
    Very helpful post lol. I will report on this soon.

NO CLOCK LAG!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!! lol
    06-10-2014 08:42 AM
    NO CLOCK LAG!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!! lol
    I haven't seen any yet either. Made it thru the night accurate.
    06-10-2014 09:14 AM
    had to drop optimizations to -O2 for internal as-is or it won't fit. The -O3 added 9Mb to the zip for os2sd, more when unpacked.
    I can probably swing the -O3 on a more minimal internal system, and move some internal apps to /data.
    Experimentation first.

This fits well with my overall plan to have a part-internal part-ext OS2SD system. Enough on internal partitions to boot and have really basic functionality if the card fails, but not much more.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
    06-10-2014 09:22 AM
    For some reason I cant find a link to the old Skinny that works (Android Keyboard shows up but no Google Services or Play Store)

I'm doing a dirty flash of 06-08

Going to try 06-09 now

11:43 - Cant add a Google account yet

12:20 - Finally got it going, GooglePS & Play Store are cooperating! (used Skinny gapps 4.4 sd) Looks good so far!

Thanks Squid!
    06-10-2014 09:35 AM
    I haven't seen any yet either. Made it thru the night accurate.
    How would one get the themes & extra bonuses offered with this beautiful beast?
    06-10-2014 11:22 AM
    The gapps stuff is definitely confusing. Would someone please provide a step-by-step for that?

I flashed skinny and then pa_gapps, but I'm getting:
    Unfortunately, Setup wizard has stopped.

Some filesystems need to be mounted in the recovery for the final flash, but not the initial one? Why the difference?

And when you say, "sign into google google account and let it complete sync", I assume that this is for people that are using google to sync their apps and data? For those of us doing it manually with titantium, this step is not necessary, correct?

1. install skinny_gapps
    2. install pa_gapps
    3. install full gapps (from here? Google Apps - CyanogenMod)

Is it possible to get an explanation of what each of these steps is accomplishing? How does installing the previous gapps allow the final, full gapps to be installed?

Also, what, if anything, still needs to be removed from any zips before they are flashed?
    06-10-2014 12:19 PM
    I'll need to get in front of an actual keyboard to answer those excellent questions .soon .
    06-10-2014 12:34 PM
    I am writing up the install steps I'm following from start to finish. I guess I will try to go back to skinny gapps.
    In previous realeases, we would stop at skinny gapps and that would be it. What is being accomplished with the other gapps packages. I seem to be able to install apps with just skinny gapps on the phone.

Patiently waiting - take your time...
    06-10-2014 12:59 PM
    1) old skinny gapps do work... For now. I was afraid 4.4.2 versions might bork things up.
    2) the 4.4.3 version of the skinny gapps (same files new versions) is well over 20Mb. Ouch.
    3) the reason I say to log into google and let it sync is so it'll download what it sees as the 'correct ' play services (gms core) which HAS to be current befoe play will download any other apps.
    More later, still on phone.
    Later=after work I'm afraid.

//edit: a bit more.
    Use pa_gapps from the thread I linked.
    Take out system/lib/libjni_latinime.so, or you'll be Sooo-rrrrry.
    Use his remover zip for google+ or anything else you don't want.

Mounting /system or /data in twrp isn't needed for os2sd rom but IS needed for flashable extra zip files with os2sd.imight have forgotten to mention the mounting system step on gapps.
    06-10-2014 01:35 PM
    How would one get the themes & extra bonuses offered with this beautiful beast?
    Never themed anything before. The engine it's a included though. Try play.
    Bonus? If you know of apps or tweaks with open source code link them and I'll look into them.
    Melvin Jefferson likes this.
    06-10-2014 02:39 PM
    1)
    Use his remover zip for google+ or anything else you don't want.

Mounting /system or /data in twrp isn't needed for os2sd rom but IS needed for flashable extra zip files with os2sd.imight have forgotten to mention the mounting system step on gapps.
    So, flash skinny gapps and then flash pa_gapps, right?

For the stripping, pa_gapps doesn't have system/lib/libjni_latinime.so so I presume you are talking about doing that in the official gapps, which does have it and I downloaded from here: Google Apps - CyanogenMod

And I'm already sorry, as I can't get past the welcome screen without errors: "Unfortunately, google play services has stopped". I may need to start all over again.
    06-10-2014 04:33 PM
    Old skinny, reboot, sign in, wait for play services to download.
    Then flash stripped pa or cm or what have you.

The skinny pa I uploaded is already stripped.
    Tonight I'll streamline the gapps process .

//edit: testing gapps configurations.
    for stripping, also watch for libjni_unbundled_latinimegoogle.so
    06-10-2014 04:56 PM
    Sigh, somehow, I messed up my phone. I was ok until I started install other than skinny gapps.

Now, even when I wipe all the partitions in twrp and reinstall the rom, I get the error: Unfortunately, setup wizard has stopped.
    I tried running the wipe in twrp.
    I also ran the partition in twrp.
    Then I tried installing skinny gapps again.
    Same thing. And it is messed up. I can't get to the desktop, settings, or anything even if I dismiss the alert.

How do I get back to a known good state with everything wiped for install? I am not very familiar with the os2sd version of twrp so maybe I'm missing some important step related to mounting the partitions? Or are they automatically mounted if found? Do they need to have specific labels?
    06-10-2014 08:29 PM
    Sigh, somehow, I messed up my phone. I was ok until I started install other than skinny gapps.

Now, even when I wipe all the partitions in twrp and reinstall the rom, I get the error: Unfortunately, setup wizard has stopped.
    I tried running the wipe in twrp.
    I also ran the partition in twrp.
    Then I tried installing skinny gapps again.
    Same thing. And it is messed up. I can't get to the desktop, settings, or anything even if I dismiss the alert.

How do I get back to a known good state with everything wiped for install? I am not very familiar with the os2sd version of twrp so maybe I'm missing some important step related to mounting the partitions? Or are they automatically mounted if found? Do they need to have specific labels?

How do I get back to
    It takes a clean first boot without gapps or a dirty flash of working /data and wiped /system.
    As far as I can tell. Internal as well.

It's an old problem... I thought it went away but no, I was just doing dirty flashes and not paying enough attention.

Sorry...

and for sure use the skinny gapps for now, it's hard to replicate the 4.4.3 ones being functional. Tweaky.
    The fun of hot-off-the-hard-drive experimental software!
    badblue1__ and yaconsult like this.
    06-10-2014 09:16 PM
    Thank you very much - I will give that a try when I get back from shopping.

No complaints at all - this is what bleeding edge is all about. Your work is appreciated!

That worked. So don't burn rom and skinny gapps at the same time - you need to boot the phone and let it come completely up. Then reboot recovery and install gapps.
    06-10-2014 09:56 PM
    Yeah - I see that...
    06-11-2014 03:51 AM
1,625 ... 2930313233 ...