08-07-2017 10:49 PM
1,625 ... 3637383940 ...
tools
    I used the 4.4 skinny gapps os2sd, then got Google search manually. How come Google search crashes whenever I try to use it?
    Remember, if you install Google Now (Search) go as quickly as possible into app drawer>Google settings>Search and Now>Voice>Hotword Detection and turn it off, then back up one submenu to Voice again and turn off all the checkboxes and set speech to off.
    You can install voice search and talkback from market (enable talkback in accessibility settings) for those functions without fc. (and voice search wrapper from xda if you want voice control over Search.)...
    I need to post that info clearly in one of the three posts I got the kind mod to add.
    It crashes because its voice controls (especially hotword) are armv7 and fc.
    07-06-2014 04:26 PM
    It probably needs the lib files, /system/lib. Check there and see if they are already there.
    It's a system app, so it might need the lib files.
    If already there try changing the permissions of the app. Terminal command:
    Code:
    su
    fix_permissions
    If that doesn't work delete the lib files/file for it and reinstall app.

Posted via Android Central App
    Shinkenred likes this.
    07-06-2014 06:54 PM
    It probably needs the lib files, /system/lib. Check there and see if they are already there.
    It's a system app, so it might need the lib files.
    If already there try changing the permissions of the app. Terminal command:
    Code:
    su
    fix_permissions
    If that doesn't work delete the lib files/file for it and reinstall app.

it's not meant to run on our chipset. Play won't even let it download, (or recognize that it's installed unless a user app)... you have to sideload or flash to system.
    It does need the libs, but they're only partly compatible.
    The 'turn off this that and the other' instructions above work around the armv7 parts of the app and allow it to run without fc'ing.
    The extra apps like voice search from playstore used with voicesearchwrapper, plus talkback from playstore, add back most of the functionality that is broken in Search for armv6.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
    07-06-2014 07:11 PM
    ok, there was a glitch setting perms on a nonexistent file. Surprised there were no reports.

Unified 4.4.4 carrier fixes uploaded, use for both internal and os2sd, just use the right recovery.
    The 4.4.4 sprint fix does not appear to work. The old SprintFixCM-11.zip does still work with the 0705 os2sd build (but does throw the permissions error, but the button swap still works afterward).

Also on os2sd, swap on second SD partition is not activated. Is there an easy place to add a swapon command? I see that some internal swap is activated though, but 64MB isn't quite enough for my liking.
    bigsupersquid likes this.
    07-06-2014 10:10 PM
    The 4.4.4 sprint fix does not appear to work. The old SprintFixCM-11.zip does still work with the 0705 os2sd build (but does throw the permissions error, but the button swap still works afterward).
    thanks. wanna try the new one?
    BradN2 likes this.
    07-06-2014 10:27 PM
    Sure, will report back soon!

Sprint patch works great now! Also haven't noticed any accelerometer problems!

I think considering what this phone has to work with, you and techvendetta have hit this one out of the park!
    07-07-2014 12:06 AM
    Don't forget thekraven, skinbark, all androidarmv6, and more.
    07-07-2014 05:04 AM
    Also on os2sd, swap on second SD partition is not activated. Is there an easy place to add a swapon command? I see that some internal swap is activated though, but 64MB isn't quite enough for my liking.
    I didn't see this one.
    If you formatted the partition as swap, the settings > performance > memory management has a pair of controls for it.
    One to turn it on, one to give it priority over the zram (which is what you see the 64 MB of.)
    07-08-2014 10:06 AM
    This looks really positive to me.
    [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4-screenshot_2014-07-08-08-54-16.png[ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4-screenshot_2014-07-08-08-54-58.png

This is even with "Keep WiFi on during sleep" set to "Always."

Now it's the cLock getting mad about me having the location turned off overnight that's draining the battery.

For me it's usually the screen.
    07-08-2014 10:09 AM
    ok, there was a glitch setting perms on a nonexistent file. Surprised there were no reports.

Unified 4.4.4 carrier fixes uploaded, use for both internal and os2sd, just use the right recovery.
    Current recovery is TWRP 2.7.1.0...
    Current ROM is the 07/04 one...
    JUST downloaded the newest version of the Sprint Fix...
    Re-downloaded the current gapps, just to be safe.

Flashing...and...nope. The "SprintFixCM-11-4.4.4.zip" still ain't working. It's still showing:
    "set_perm: some changes failed
    E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard/000root/SprintFixCM-11-4.4.4.zip
    Error flashing zip /sdcard/000root/SprintFixCM-11-4.4.4.zip"

And since I had it set to flash the ROM first, followed by the Sprint Fix, and then the gapps, it's wonking out on me during the botched Sprint Fix. Correction: it's doing the same thing with the "Skinny_4.4.4_Gapps-internal.zip", too, only it doesn't seem to have problems with the "set_perm" part like the Sprint Fix did.

E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard/000root/Skinny_4.4.4_Gapps-internal.zip
    Error flashing zip /sdcard/000root/Skinny_4.4.4_Gapps-internal.zip"
    07-08-2014 03:07 PM
    Current recovery is TWRP 2.7.1.0...
    Current ROM is the 07/04 one...
    JUST downloaded the newest version of the Sprint Fix...
    Re-downloaded the current gapps, just to be safe.

Flashing...and...nope. The "SprintFixCM-11-4.4.4.zip" still ain't working. It's still showing:
    "set_perm: some changes failed
    E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard/000root/SprintFixCM-11-4.4.4.zip
    Error flashing zip /sdcard/000root/SprintFixCM-11-4.4.4.zip"

And since I had it set to flash the ROM first, followed by the Sprint Fix, and then the gapps, it's wonking out on me during the botched Sprint Fix. Correction: it's doing the same thing with the "Skinny_4.4.4_Gapps-internal.zip", too, only it doesn't seem to have problems with the "set_perm" part like the Sprint Fix did.

E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard/000root/Skinny_4.4.4_Gapps-internal.zip
    Error flashing zip /sdcard/000root/Skinny_4.4.4_Gapps-internal.zip"
    The things.
    First, you're wiping system first?
    2: all the twrps look the same.
    3. I need the recovery.log
    Shinkenred likes this.
    07-08-2014 06:48 PM
    If your using the internal KitKat, the philz recovery works best

bigsupersquid and badblue1__ like this.
    07-08-2014 07:23 PM
    If you formatted the partition as swap, the settings > performance > memory management has a pair of controls for it.
    Oh snap, I never noticed that. It doesn't seem to be working though. I have swap version 2 on second SD partition (created with mkswap on newish linux). A manual swapon activates it fine. Type is set to 82 (linux swap).

Minor gripe - seems like after booting, some service takes a long time to come up before shell can start in terminal emulator.
    07-09-2014 03:09 AM
    Oh snap, I never noticed that. It doesn't seem to be working though. I have swap version 2 on second SD partition (created with mkswap on newish linux). A manual swapon activates it fine. Type is set to 82 (linux swap).

Minor gripe - seems like after booting, some service takes a long time to come up before shell can start in terminal emulator.
    use a different terminal, cm's does that. try connectbot.

might try formatting the swap partition in twrp, that worked for me back when I tested it.

you could also fix the /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 line in the fstab.thunderc for swap
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 none swap defaults recoveryonly

or swapon in an init.d file.
    07-09-2014 07:29 AM
    I used the 4.4 skinny gapps os2sd, then got Google search manually. How come Google search crashes whenever I try to use it?
    Nevermind... saw squid's response to this just now
    07-09-2014 11:15 AM
    The things.
    First, you're wiping system first?
    *goes through wipe process yet again* ...wait a minute, what the deuce!? Whoa, how did I NOT notice that the "basic" wipe in TWRP doesn't even touch system!? Okay, let's try it manually via Advanced Wipe. System (and everything Basic takes care of), check. Flashing...and...success!! Everything flashed!! Reboot system...and...it appears to have booted up fine!! Wait...had a "process.acore" type of FC error, but everything seems fine. Checking partition info...System indicates 150MB/158MB! Gonna have to download a file manager, but that's okay. Gonna let this beast roll for awhile in order to see what happens from here.

...wow, that IS Hacker's Keyboard. Whoops...thought it was the stock Android keyboard at first, since it looked so much like it.

Hmmmmm...AndyOpie150, I think I'll make a backup of this later and go through the process again with BeanWhiz, this time making sure that system gets wiped as well (whether I use TWRP or revert back to skinbark's CWM)...perhaps that was the underlying problem in that case, too.
    07-09-2014 04:57 PM
    You need to install the recovery I linked to in the first post of the Bean_Whiz ROM to Install the Bean_Whiz ROM.

To install the internal version of the KitKat ROM you need to use the philz recovery.

badblue1__ likes this.
    07-09-2014 05:29 PM
    You need to install the recovery I linked to in the first post of the Bean_Whiz ROM to Install the Bean_Whiz ROM.

To install the internal version of the KitKat ROM you need to use the philz recovery.

Hmmm. For internal KitKat I simply followed the link that's on the first page of this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/opt...2-7-1-0-a.html (After all, it does say "YOU MUST USE THIS RECOVERY".)

As for Bean_Whiz, are you sure that only ClockworkMod 5.2.0.7-th7 works? The other one was CWM 6.0.4.6. A "more recent" CWM recovery shouldn't have problems with a JB-based ROM.
    07-09-2014 05:51 PM
    Philz should be fine for internal. I just can't trouble shoot glitches with that recovery.
    As for Bean_Whiz, are you sure that only ClockworkMod 5.2.0.7-th7 works? The other one was CWM 6.0.4.6. A "more recent" CWM recovery shouldn't have problems with a JB-based ROM.
    I successfully tested the internal TWRP on MiRaGe and it flashed fine, but I dunno about the early kitkat CWM.
    badblue1__ likes this.
    07-09-2014 06:00 PM
    So perhaps I should regain that CWM and ditch the early KitKat CWM, just to play it safe?

Oh: not sure what's causing it and it may be just my Optimus S, but the clock has lagged behind four times in the last 50min...correction, five times. Just did it again.
    Sent from my SPH-M830 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-09-2014 07:50 PM
    This is the reason I get to have nice things, thanks for rom.

edit,

I have an old Nokia TracFone with thousands of minutes and it's my phone I use for everything. With that said, is the OS2SD thing difficult? I was pricing class 10 sd cards on Amazon and I'm tempted to buy one and give it an honest shot, but everything I do is a struggle when it comes to computers or any other kind of electronics. However, if I stare at a screen long enough it begins to make sense and if I can better performance out of this phone with that set up, I'm going to go for it.
    07-09-2014 08:33 PM
    Bad Idea. Class 10 SD cards are notorious for problems in Android OS application. The class of a card only designates write speed. Not quality or read speed.
    Read speed is the most important for our application.
    Get a class 4 Sandisk micro SD card. They have the best read speeds with the V.

07-09-2014 08:49 PM
    Read speed is the most important for our application.
    Actually I think what makes cards better or worse for hosting android OS is small random write speed. The higher speed classes can do more throughput, but they usually do it by writing large blocks at a time. It doesn't play nice with operating system functions that alter lots of small bits of data randomly distributed.

The speed class actually does specify minimum contiguous write speed and read speed, but in practice read speeds are generally faster than write speeds (and don't usually have much penalty for random access) so it's usually a moot point. There is an additional complication with bad random write performance - reads can't even be executed while the card is busy writing. This is probably the real cause of performance issues. Outgoing writes can always be cached but when reads are blocked, something will need to wait.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
    07-09-2014 11:34 PM
    f2fs looks interesting for avoiding the card and mtd storage slowdowns and glitches but I haven't looked too closely into it yet.
    twrp does support it already though.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
    07-10-2014 06:15 AM
    This is the reason I get to have nice things, thanks for rom.

edit,

I have an old Nokia TracFone with thousands of minutes and it's my phone I use for everything. With that said, is the OS2SD thing difficult? I was pricing class 10 sd cards on Amazon and I'm tempted to buy one and give it an honest shot, but everything I do is a struggle when it comes to computers or any other kind of electronics. However, if I stare at a screen long enough it begins to make sense and if I can better performance out of this phone with that set up, I'm going to go for it.
    the os2sd thing is easy enough if you start with a fresh card, partition it in twrp, and go from there. Mostly after installation it's user-transparent.
    AndyOpie150 and omgitsMATT like this.
    07-10-2014 06:19 AM
1,625 ... 3637383940 ...