08-07-2017 10:49 PM
1,625 ... 3738394041 ...
tools
    Thanks, glad I finally posted otherwise I would have grabbed a class 10.
    07-10-2014 06:26 AM
    f2fs has some good performance characteristics - I installed gentoo on a compactflash card using it (for portage and everything). It was relatively impressive compared to how ext3 would have been. Its filesytem repair abilities are lacking, but android is mostly a "full backup" style system anyway.
    07-10-2014 08:24 AM
    Actually I think what makes cards better or worse for hosting android OS is small random write speed. The higher speed classes can do more throughput, but they usually do it by writing large blocks at a time. It doesn't play nice with operating system functions that alter lots of small bits of data randomly distributed.

The speed class actually does specify minimum contiguous write speed and read speed, but in practice read speeds are generally faster than write speeds (and don't usually have much penalty for random access) so it's usually a moot point. There is an additional complication with bad random write performance - reads can't even be executed while the card is busy writing. This is probably the real cause of performance issues. Outgoing writes can always be cached but when reads are blocked, something will need to wait.
    I agree with this. I posted a few photos of my own a while back that shows I could at least get a Transcend 64 GB Class 10 card to be read inside a V. I never actually used it to do anything else. It's for my dual core Optimus F3, which handles the card flawlessly. Class 10 is great to use with the newer multi core devices.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
    07-10-2014 12:33 PM
    ROM is running relatively smoothly now. Only minor quibble is that blasted clock lag. It happened today for the third time just now (fell behind by 5min at 16:45, by 10min at 16:35, and by 30min at 16:05). I think that this could be related to being connected to Wi-Fi, but I have no way to know for sure. This is a guess just based on the fact that my Optimus S is currently connected to Wi-Fi here...and last night at Starbucks, it was connected to Wi-Fi and the clock had fallen behind a whopping five times in a span between 19:00-19:50.

Link2SD worked perfectly, and so I also set up Toucanscrypt, then went about restoring my apps. Had to let some apps hit the sd card, though, as the ext partition got completely filled up, BUT...every last one of my apps (TB indicates 115 user apps) is back on there.

Is the "Power Menu" option not a part of the settings anymore? I miss not having the ability to get "Profiles" *out* and "Screenshot" *in*...
    07-10-2014 04:56 PM

use new os2sd TWRP
    in recovery:
    advanced > partition sd card
    set ext4 (or swap) size: at least 256 (MB)
    OS2SD system size: at least 512, up to 768
    OS2SD data size: from 512 to 1024 or more depending on how ridiculous you'd like your app storage space.
    swipe to partition, wait patiently as it'll take a while. Vibrates when done.

mount menu
    format system, data and cache

install, in this order:
    rom zip
    gapps

set ext4 (or swap) size: at 512 (mb)
    OS2SD system size: at 768
    OS2SD data size: from 512 to 1024??

I grabbed a SanDisk 32GB MicroSDHC High Speed Class 4 Card on my way home today, it's kinda big and I doubt I'll ever use that much storage when my operating system on my laptop doesn't even have that much data, but it was the only size they had for Class 4 cards and it was only $13.00.

So this is going to be like installing Xubuntu, I'll make a Swap, Root (system?) and Home (data) partition then install the operating system (your rom)? So to be able to get the most out of my SD card I'll make the first two partitions the sizes you reccomended and I'll put the rest of the space left on the micro sd card in the data partition?

When you say ''install, in this order'' I need to know how ADB works and use the terminal to do this part, correct? Because if that's the case, I'm going to have to sit down and learn how that works. I was watching a Youtube video of a guy showing how to ADB Sideload .zips with twrp on his Windows PC, it didn't look difficult and I think I should have this figured out and finished before work on Monday

One more question, I have the internal rom installed at the moment (but I already flashed the os2sd recovery.img suggested for isntalling the os2sd rom), should I make sure that is wiped in some way before I install the os2sd rom and if so how do I go about that?

I booted into the recovery image and I was able to turn on USB storage with my Xubuntu laptop while in the recovery (to cool, I'm sure that was possible with some of the older ROMs recovery tools too but this was way easier than I expected and the first time I had seen it), so could I format like you instructed and then copy over the gapps and rom you reccomend and then install from TWRT instead of trying to figure out how to install the rom from the terminal?

I know you must hate questions like these, I'm showing my noob colors here and it must make some people grit their teeth but you seem nice enough, haha
    07-11-2014 03:59 PM
    after getting home I'll sort you out.

For the moment backup your sd card because as you probably know partitioning will wipe it.

No need for adb
    The recovery does the partitioning and formatting.
    More in about an hour.
    set ext4 (or swap) size: at 512 (mb)
    OS2SD system size: at 768
    OS2SD data size: from 512 to 1024??

I grabbed a SanDisk 32GB MicroSDHC High Speed Class 4 Card on my way home today, it's kinda big and I doubt I'll ever use that much storage when my operating system on my laptop doesn't even have that much data, but it was the only size they had for Class 4 cards and it was only $13.00.

So this is going to be like installing Xubuntu, I'll make a Swap, Root (system?) and Home (data) partition then install the operating system (your rom)? So to be able to get the most out of my SD card I'll make the first two partitions the sizes you reccomended and I'll put the rest of the space left on the micro sd card in the data partition?

When you say ''install, in this order'' I need to know how ADB works and use the terminal to do this part, correct? Because if that's the case, I'm going to have to sit down and learn how that works. I was watching a Youtube video of a guy showing how to ADB Sideload .zips with twrp on his Windows PC, it didn't look difficult and I think I should have this figured out and finished before work on Monday

One more question, I have the internal rom installed at the moment (but I already flashed the os2sd recovery.img suggested for isntalling the os2sd rom), should I make sure that is wiped in some way before I install the os2sd rom and if so how do I go about that?

I booted into the recovery image and I was able to turn on USB storage with my Xubuntu laptop while in the recovery (to cool, I'm sure that was possible with some of the older ROMs recovery tools too but this was way easier than I expected and the first time I had seen it), so could I format like you instructed and then copy over the gapps and rom you reccomend and then install from TWRT instead of trying to figure out how to install the rom from the terminal?

I know you must hate questions like these, I'm showing my noob colors here and it must make some people grit their teeth but you seem nice enough, haha
    omgitsMATT likes this.
    07-11-2014 06:16 PM
    I'm sorted now, once I took the time to put that all to text things were making sense and I just went ahead. It's running awesome. Thanks again for all your hard work, I had been following this thread for months and would occasionally flash it then switch back to Mirage because of space, but when your latest release came out and installed perfect with no problem I knew it was time to grab a SD card bigger than 1gb and give it a real go.

I'm ear to ear with a stupid grin, this is the best
    bigsupersquid and badblue1__ like this.
    07-11-2014 06:19 PM
    Only report of clock lag I've seen.
    Mine s on WiFi only.
    The power menu settings are still in there somewhere but got moved.
    ROM is running relatively smoothly now. Only minor quibble is that blasted clock lag. It happened today for the third time just now (fell behind by 5min at 16:45, by 10min at 16:35, and by 30min at 16:05). I think that this could be related to being connected to Wi-Fi, but I have no way to know for sure. This is a guess just based on the fact that my Optimus S is currently connected to Wi-Fi here...and last night at Starbucks, it was connected to Wi-Fi and the clock had fallen behind a whopping five times in a span between 19:00-19:50.

Link2SD worked perfectly, and so I also set up Toucanscrypt, then went about restoring my apps. Had to let some apps hit the sd card, though, as the ext partition got completely filled up, BUT...every last one of my apps (TB indicates 115 user apps) is back on there.

Is the "Power Menu" option not a part of the settings anymore? I miss not having the ability to get "Profiles" *out* and "Screenshot" *in*...
    Shinkenred likes this.
    07-11-2014 06:24 PM
    Only report of clock lag I've seen.
    Mine s on WiFi only.
    The power menu settings are still in there somewhere but got moved.
    Ouch. I haven't been able to find the power menu settings.

Sent from my SPH-M830 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-11-2014 09:23 PM
    Ouch. I haven't been able to find the power menu settings.

Sent from my SPH-M830 using AC Forums mobile app
    settings > buttons > power menu

Shinkenred likes this.
    07-12-2014 02:44 AM
    How come lucky patcher doesn't work on os2sd?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-12-2014 06:46 PM
    How come lucky patcher doesn't work on os2sd?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using AC Forums mobile app
    dunno, probably something with the way it mounts directories.
    xposed works.
    07-12-2014 08:10 PM
    any opinions on wifi battery drain over the last two releases or so?
    07-13-2014 12:45 PM
    It's hard to judge battery drain - my battery is pretty old and crappy.

But, I reflashed to verify, I think the July 5 release still doesn't totally fix the accelerometer. It survived some quick testing but after a while it still stops working.
    bigsupersquid likes this.
    07-13-2014 09:42 PM
    I wish I could say but mine is also old, at least 3 yrs probably a firm 3.5. I was thinking about getting a new battery the other day.
    07-14-2014 07:38 AM
    I have new batteries but since my V's are out of service I have limited ability to test em under normal use.
    07-14-2014 09:19 AM
    Sorry to report that My little phone has died ( drowned) it's been a bunch of fun tweaking this phone. I now have a kyocera Hydro Vibe, which is a really good phone ( and waterproof) but no more tweaking for me beyond just root access as the bootloader is locked down tighter than for Knox.
    It's been a lot of fun and thanks to you all for all the hard work developing this phone to way beyond its full potential.
    AndyOpie150 and bigsupersquid like this.
    07-14-2014 09:29 AM
    For internal build, i had to revert back to 0627 build, so i can use int2ext script. With the newer builds, int2ext causes phone nor ro boot.
    Xince my tablet crapped out, i use alot of apps. At peast until i get a new one.

Sent from my LG-VM670
    07-14-2014 11:07 AM
    For internal build, i had to revert back to 0627 build, so i can use int2ext script. With the newer builds, int2ext causes phone nor ro boot.
    Xince my tablet crapped out, i use alot of apps. At peast until i get a new one.

Sent from my LG-VM670
    I'll try to see why that's happening.
    link me the script you're using.
    dingermtb likes this.
    07-14-2014 11:41 AM
    The link is on this page about halfway down

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=

I installed manually and ckanged permissions. It will show thar it properly installed when looking at app space, but as soon as you install an app, it won't boot after a reboot. Script works perfectly with 0627 build and earlier builds.

Thank you for taking a look.
    Sent from my LG-VM670
    07-14-2014 12:24 PM
    That link didn't seem to work. Here is the post with direct link from thekraven's JNC thread.
    There was a "fixed" version of int2ext+ that was floating around TheKraven's JBC thread a while back which is what I used. You can find it at https://anonfiles.com/file/ef01114e9...1acb1e3574412b I had to install it manually though. I was also unable to download the main gapps in the OP, so I used the "alternative" light gapps which are listed right below those in the OP.

Sent from my LG-VM670

Sent from my LG-VM670
    07-14-2014 12:48 PM
    That link didn't seem to work. Here is the post with direct link from thekraven's JNC thread.

Sent from my LG-VM670

Sent from my LG-VM670
    I can't get that to download either. Tried firefox and android.
    07-15-2014 10:23 AM
    Try this link. I uploaded it to Google Driv3. Thanks again for looking into it..

Try this link. I uploaded to Google Drive. Thanks again for looking into it.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0By5C...p=docslist_api
    Sent from my ZombieKat 4.4.4-VM670 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
    07-15-2014 01:34 PM
    I'll try to see why that's happening.
    link me the script you're using.
    Same happened with me, I was using cronmod in2extv2+ I think.
    07-16-2014 04:11 AM
    any opinions on wifi battery drain over the last two releases or so?
    With the WiFi on for a period of time or all night, did you experience excessive drain, or just a few or none at all?
    07-16-2014 04:14 AM
1,625 ... 3738394041 ...