08-07-2017 10:49 PM
1,625 ... 4748495051 ...
tools
    Hello,
    Just upgrading to the latest os2sd ext4 and tried pa gapps micro. The pa gapps facilitator install failed. Do I need to do anything special.
    I installed the rom (0906)
    gapps micro
    then the facilitator
    I read that it takes out arm7 stuff so I will hold off on installing until I know it won't ruin my evening.
    Thanks
    bigsupersquid likes this.
    09-14-2014 05:01 AM
    the big thing to remove is
    system/lib/libjnilatinime.so
    replace it with the one in the rom zip. the facilitator is way outta date, i forgot and need to fix it.
    there's also a Google keyboard lib that needs deleted, i forget the exact name.
    MechaFenix likes this.
    09-14-2014 07:43 AM
    usually for build errors i just Google the error (replacing personal parts of the PATH with a *)
    otherwise I'm still learning as i go along.
    kernel errors can be fun to figure out.
    i did learn to check the config carefully because having certain options set makes it try to build parts that may not be ported to your device or otherwise unbuildable/broken.
    Good point! Yes!
    I did disable things like cifs that werent building because there wasnt really a use for cifs.
    And, the error itself is a problem with several lg kernels.
    But someone on the androidforums is helping me with that.
    09-14-2014 12:56 PM
    I did some testing with the latest os2sd:

Accelerometer: Works fine
    USB tethering: Works fine
    Wifi tethering: Would not activate after using USB tethering
    Swap auto-activate: Works fine
    Loop file mounting: Works fine
    Running Gentoo Linux in a chroot: Works fine, with some minor issues due to android's networking policy and dog slow CPU
    2.8.0.0 recovery: Seems maybe a little more stable than before, haven't tested much yet
    Battery life: Horrible with wifi on
    Clock lag: Haven't tested yet, expect problems with wifi off
    Misc: Terminal description files missing, prevents running built in nano text editor; nano works fine in gentoo chroot but not over adb shell (can't press enter)

Wifi tethering failure:
    Turn on USB tethering
    Use USB tethering
    Unplug USB
    Turn on WiFi tethering
    Configure wifi tethering (wifi tethering seems to turn off)
    Cannot turn on wifi tethering now
    Cannot turn on wifi at all now

After rebooting, wifi tether could be activated

Possible idea to reduce size of internal build: UPX any executables that are not normally loaded during long term operation, eg filesystem checkers, manual utilities, debugging programs, etc. UPXing programs that are normally running may lead to increased RAM usage, as UPX on linux needs to unpack the file to disk (or tmpfs) first.

Another possible idea: Squashfs some of the /system contents
    09-21-2014 01:35 PM
    It may be the SD card, it's a 16GB class 2 that I've had for some time, so it's probably on its last few legs. As far as the clock speed, I'm running 480min/729max with Interactive. And this thing just lags like crazy more often than not. I find it odd that the f2fs version does this.

Oddly, the clock lags a lot if it's not on Airplane Mode. Worst I've seen is falling just over an hour behind.
    09-21-2014 04:25 PM
    weird, i haven't seen clock lag in months. airplane mode, WiFi on or off...

WiFi tether only working for one reboot is old issue I'd forgotten about.

nice chroot still works, hadn't tried that in long time.
    09-22-2014 07:56 AM
    [Phoronix] F2FS Tools Gain FSCK Support will the official fsck be merged into the rom and twrp?
    09-22-2014 02:23 PM
    [Phoronix] F2FS Tools Gain FSCK Support will the official fsck be merged into the rom and twrp?
    Just run gentoo in a chroot and you can compile it yourself

But seriously I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to add to the roms, but it would probably make more sense to put in recovery than the main rom for purposes of phone troubleshooting.
    lgrootnoob likes this.
    09-22-2014 06:05 PM

But seriously I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to add to the roms, but it would probably make more sense to put in recovery than the main rom for purposes of phone troubleshooting.
    haha, i guess your right that it would make more sense to keep the binary in recovery only.
    09-22-2014 06:15 PM

haha, i guess your right that it would make more sense to keep the binary in recovery only.
    the whole system is fluffed with things like that. eventually will remove as many of them as possible for smaller build. but for chroot friendliness, the fluff may be needed. cm was always more chroot friendly than stock.
    09-23-2014 09:34 AM
    hahaha....
    google drive wouldn't let me download the 906 md5sum file, said it had been accessed too many times recently.
    that's funny, this old phone must be more alive than any of the forums would lead me to believe.

I just switched back over to the old OV because the evo doesn't need that stinking $35 plan for anything I'm going to develop on it anyway.
    So y'all are lucky, I'll be incorporating tweaks and keeping upgraded now more often.

multirom works to a point, but I couldn't get the kexec-hardboot working for different kernels.... no mirage and kitkat. possibly jellybean and kitkat.
    (specifically, the assembly recoding of the restart sequence... the restart tweak is different on thunderc/g than any of the examples given and best I could do to this point was force a full reboot.)
    but it will allow the boot-from-internal if sd fails with minimal recoding, which is really cool.
    I will eventually drag that into the build as well to make it more stable.
    omgitsMATT and syguyice like this.
    09-23-2014 11:04 AM
    Have been running the 0906 ext4 build for a couple weeks; it's much faster than 0629 and camera works as opposed to 0819, so big thanks to bigsupersquid for that. A few minor issues & nitpicks:

- I can't access any camera settings anymore (no ring/settings menu). Is this intentional?
    - Trebuchet will not show icons for apps moved to SD card. Have to go into app drawer for them. Issue was in older versions as well.
    - Phone is unable to see a wifi access point from my other phone's wifi tether (other phone is running open source "Wifi Tether" app). Normal home/business wifi router works fine.
    - GPS doesn't always seem to lock onto position, sometimes requiring a reboot (after waiting for over half hour), then locks on within 2 minutes. Has anyone else tried the GPS?
    - When GPS do work, the app (MapFactor: Navigator) complains that the compass is not properly setup, thus can only be used in "north-is-up" mode. Can't seem to find the compass calibration menu in settings.
    - Phone occasionally freezes while killing app or switching between tasks (app/task is random). Usually requires a battery pull. Have tried disabling SD swap, which helped reducing lag, but no help on freezing. EDIT: Saw some suggestions in previous pages, will try them. Thanks.
    - Still can't get full superuser/root access in a couple root apps.
    - Same issue as Shinkenred where the date location in cLock is off. Since I have weather turned on in cLock, the weather icon actually covers up the day (so I only see "WED, SEPTEMBER..." instead of the full date). Would be helpful if we can change this to lower case + abbreviation (e.g. Wed, Sept. 22) or the numerical representation (09/22/2014).

A couple misc questions:
    - Any way to change the data/swap partitions without any wipes/reinstalls? I amaze even myself by using up the 1.5G in data already... EDIT: Saw some mention of gparted and minitool in earlier posts; can anyone provide steps in using these tools for this purpose?
    - Shinkenred: Sorry about your sd card, although am wondering how you installed Kaizin Rumble on this device? I can't get half of the apps you've listed to show up in market, and manually installing via apk would often fc right after launch. I am also getting fc's on emulators like supergnes; could it be related to the tls partition switch?

The optimus is such a versatile little thing now with the new ROM that I use it more than my actual phone, and it's more responsive too even with only half of the CPU power. So it wouldn't surprise me that a lot of people are still following and downloading your ROM (even if they just lurk behind the forum). Thanks again for all the updates & keep up the good work!
    09-24-2014 09:52 AM
    the only gimmick i can offer at the moment is compass calibration.
    wave phone in repeated figure 8 motions on all 3 axis.
    forgot where i read that but it works.

move to sd is superfluous and shouldn't be used anyway, everything is already on sd and extra links can't help.
    camera? dunno. try apk from june maybe.
    ram overfills causing reboots. try fast reboot off play.
    syguyice likes this.
    09-24-2014 01:52 PM
    How do I get the phone to start the compass calibration? I went through settings and don't see an option to start... Or should I just start waving around in the street? Not that I mind, people usually avoid me anyways...

I was trying to move stuff to SD because I had ran out of the 1.5Gb I allocated to data. I looked at the previous posts a bit closer but don't have experiences running the tools mentioned. Would you have any quick n dirty suggestions, like if I copied everything (data/system/swap/etc.) out of the sd card on PC, reparitioned it with TWRP, copy everything back from PC, would the phone still work afterwards?

I'll probably try a different camera app and see if I can get controls back... anyone have recommendations for camera apps? I used to use Camera Zoom FX, looking for alternatives.... heard FV-5 gives pretty good pictures?

I don't have reboots, but rather freezes that required a reboot. I noticed that zRam is on by default and I've seen this cause freezes in my other android devices, so I'm now testing with it turned off. Fast reboot looks interesting, will try it as well. Thanks.

Any thoughts on wifi adhoc access points (not wifi routers) and GPS items?
    09-24-2014 04:08 PM
    How do I get the phone to start the compass calibration? I went through settings and don't see an option to start... Or should I just start waving around in the street? Not that I mind, people usually avoid me anyways...

I was trying to move stuff to SD because I had ran out of the 1.5Gb I allocated to data. I looked at the previous posts a bit closer but don't have experiences running the tools mentioned. Would you have any quick n dirty suggestions, like if I copied everything (data/system/swap/etc.) out of the sd card on PC, reparitioned it with TWRP, copy everything back from PC, would the phone still work afterwards?

I'll probably try a different camera app and see if I can get controls back... anyone have recommendations for camera apps? I used to use Camera Zoom FX, looking for alternatives.... heard FV-5 gives pretty good pictures?

I don't have reboots, but rather freezes that required a reboot. I noticed that zRam is on by default and I've seen this cause freezes in my other android devices, so I'm now testing with it turned off. Fast reboot looks interesting, will try it as well. Thanks.

Any thoughts on wifi adhoc access points (not wifi routers) and GPS items?
    camera settings are longpress on screen.
    backup in twrp, backup sd to pc, repartition in twrp, restore pc sd backup, restore rom backup.
    i only had to calibrate compass once per install, and yes you just wave it. triggers ami304 software cal.

no thoughts now just debugging.
    syguyice likes this.
    09-24-2014 09:28 PM
    Thanks bigsupersquid. The camera options are showing up with a different app. Compass is a lot more responsive now but not yet ideal; I may need to wave it around walking downtown some more. The GPS issue is only intermittent, and probably only with my device if no one else had this issue. Good thing is device hasn't yet froze after turning off zRAM, so hopefully it will stay that way. Will try the TWRP repartition steps; a few more questions on this front:

- Is the SWAP partition only used when SD SWAPs is turned on in Performance settings, or always?
    - How small can I make the SWAP partition?
    - What's the biggest SD card anyone has used in optimus S? I have a 16Gb in it; anyone able to use a 64Gb to its fullest?
    09-25-2014 12:01 PM
    - Shinkenred: Sorry about your sd card, although am wondering how you installed Kaizin Rumble on this device? I can't get half of the apps you've listed to show up in market, and manually installing via apk would often fc right after launch. I am also getting fc's on emulators like supergnes; could it be related to the tls partition switch?
    I sideloaded it and several other things; since they won't show up in the Play Store app for the Optimus S, I'd assume they wouldn't show up for the Optimus V, either. (Play Store on the computer says that they're incompatible with the version; no idea why. It's a crapshoot either way...some things will work anyway, others won't.) As for emulators, I've noticed that Super Gnes doesn't play nicely with this thing anyway - most emulators don't when it comes to games that require complex or multi-touch motions, such as platformers (like Megaman 7 or Castlevania). I've since given up on that one...however, Nesoid/GBCoid/Gameboid have been quite awesome...again, as long as it's simple games that don't require multiple things going on. Games like Zelda & Final Fantasy work fine, but games like Megaman Battle Network & Summon Night: Swordcraft Story are rather wonky when it comes to running (you don't always run the direction you want to).

bigsupersquid, something else I've noticed about the f2fs version: maybe this doesn't happen on the V at all, but on my S, this thing NEVER hits the ground running on the first boot. Whether it's from turning the device off and then on having to do a reboot is irrelevant, it always automatically reboots itself a few times before it finally gets going. (Most of the time, it does this twice, but on occasion, it's done so three or even four times) This wouldn't bug me so much, but having to sit through "Android is Upgrading" gets rather annoying, especially when it's wasting precious battery just on those reboots. Not sure why that is, but this is something else that the os2sd version never did, either - at least, the 06/28 one didn't. (Haven't tried the 09/06 one as I simply got & started using the f2fs version instead)
    09-25-2014 01:22 PM
    I sideloaded it and several other things; since they won't show up in the Play Store app for the Optimus S, I'd assume they wouldn't show up for the Optimus V, either. (Play Store on the computer says that they're incompatible with the version; no idea why. It's a crapshoot either way...some things will work anyway, others won't.) As for emulators, I've noticed that Super Gnes doesn't play nicely with this thing anyway - most emulators don't when it comes to games that require complex or multi-touch motions, such as platformers (like Megaman 7 or Castlevania). I've since given up on that one...however, Nesoid/GBCoid/Gameboid have been quite awesome...again, as long as it's simple games that don't require multiple things going on. Games like Zelda & Final Fantasy work fine, but games like Megaman Battle Network & Summon Night: Swordcraft Story are rather wonky when it comes to running (you don't always run the direction you want to).

bigsupersquid, something else I've noticed about the f2fs version: maybe this doesn't happen on the V at all, but on my S, this thing NEVER hits the ground running on the first boot. Whether it's from turning the device off and then on having to do a reboot is irrelevant, it always automatically reboots itself a few times before it finally gets going. (Most of the time, it does this twice, but on occasion, it's done so three or even four times) This wouldn't bug me so much, but having to sit through "Android is Upgrading" gets rather annoying, especially when it's wasting precious battery just on those reboots. Not sure why that is, but this is something else that the os2sd version never did, either - at least, the 06/28 one didn't. (Haven't tried the 09/06 one as I simply got & started using the f2fs version instead)
    f2fs is os2sd, can't format internal partitions f2fs on this old thing.
    I had 4 different cards I tried all on the same f2fs 9/6 install zip, clean installs, same phone.
    3 major malfunctions, reboots, fc's, slow running.
    1 card works great.
    go figure.
    working on dalek vm and oomkiller settings according to v6 supercharger settings to avoid the reboots.
    09-25-2014 02:01 PM
    f2fs is os2sd, can't format internal partitions f2fs on this old thing.
    I had 4 different cards I tried all on the same f2fs 9/6 install zip, clean installs, same phone.
    3 major malfunctions, reboots, fc's, slow running.
    1 card works great.
    go figure.
    working on dalek vm and oomkiller settings according to v6 supercharger settings to avoid the reboots.
    I have an idea, turn the internal /data partition into swap.
    09-26-2014 11:24 AM
    I have an idea, turn the internal /data partition into swap.
    techvendetta was fighting with that, I tried too, but even with mtd swap enabled in the kernel it wouldn't do it. can't format it as swap.
    09-26-2014 11:36 AM
    this old phone must be more alive than any of the forums would lead me to believe.
    About a year ago a work mate who was laid off needed a phone so if his kids school, potential employers or whoever called they could get a hold of him on the road. He couldn't budget a cell phone on top of his landline bill, so applied for the government assitance phones. He got a LG Optimus V VM670 and whoever his provider was loaded 500 minutes a month onto the phone. Safelink is what it was called, I think. I asked a ton of questions because it was the same phone as mine and I was curious as I had bought mine retail

I dont' know how many of them they gave away, it's impossible to say, but perhaps that would explain the traffic you get.
    09-26-2014 05:53 PM
    bigsupersquid, what's the difference between os2sd and f2fs (I hope it's apparent I don't belong here tech wise after my handful of posts haha)? I grabbed the recent os2sd build yesterday, but I've been wondering if I should go with the f2fs one instead for performance? all I do is install gapps, install my half a dozen apps to make sure they're up to date then back it all up with titanium and reflash the again without gapps. i just check my voicemail now and again and read books with an ebook reader.
    09-27-2014 12:09 PM
    bigsupersquid, what's the difference between os2sd and f2fs (I hope it's apparent I don't belong here tech wise after my handful of posts haha)? I grabbed the recent os2sd build yesterday, but I've been wondering if I should go with the f2fs one instead for performance? all I do is install gapps, install my half a dozen apps to make sure they're up to date then back it all up with titanium and reflash the again without gapps. i just check my voicemail now and again and read books with an ebook reader.
    First... f2fs is a filesystem type, like ext4.
    F2FS Put to the Test Against EXT4
    f2fs uses a lot of free space for its own upkeep. /system needs at least 384MB or so even though it's really under 256 with gapps.
    it's supposed to be more stable than ext4 on sd but, I read horror stories of both. Needs fsck.f2fs run for checking, I'll make an init script for that.
    fsck.f2fs is built into the ROM and recovery already.
    255|root@thunderc:/ # fsck.f2fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

F2FS-tools: fsck.f2fs Ver: 1.3.0 (2014-02-06)

Info: sector size = 512
    Info: total sectors = 1500000 (in 512bytes)

[FSCK] Unreachable nat entries [Ok..] [0x0]
    [FSCK] SIT valid block bitmap checking [Ok..]
    [FSCK] Hard link checking for regular file [Ok..] [0x0]
    [FSCK] valid_block_count matching with CP [Ok..] [0x0]
    [FSCK] valid_node_count matcing with CP (de lookup) [Ok..] [0xab1]
    [FSCK] valid_node_count matcing with CP (nat lookup) [Ok..] [0xab1]
    [FSCK] valid_inode_count matched with CP [Ok..] [0x550]

Done.
    root@thunderc:/ # fsck.f2fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p4

F2FS-tools: fsck.f2fs Ver: 1.3.0 (2014-02-06)

Info: sector size = 512
    Info: total sectors = 2001380 (in 512bytes)

[FSCK] Unreachable nat entries [Ok..] [0x0]
    [FSCK] SIT valid block bitmap checking [Ok..]
    [FSCK] Hard link checking for regular file [Ok..] [0x0]
    [FSCK] valid_block_count matching with CP [Ok..] [0x0]
    [FSCK] valid_node_count matcing with CP (de lookup) [Ok..] [0x7f4]
    [FSCK] valid_node_count matcing with CP (nat lookup) [Ok..] [0x7f4]
    [FSCK] valid_inode_count matched with CP [Ok..] [0x3f7]

Done.
    If you get rid of the gapps, I have a suggestion.
    Titanium likes to cause problems sometimes. It backs up more than just the apps themselves, and some of the other bits of /data it grabs may not need to be for what you're doing.
    You can install everything in Play, and instead of backing up with TiBu, back up just your /data/app directory. If you put that one directory back after a clean install, it'll re-extract data/app-lib and make the rest of /data up fresh.
    Of course, you'd have to redo your app settings without using TiBu. Might be worth trying though.
    omgitsMATT likes this.
    09-27-2014 01:27 PM
    Redoing app settings sounds like a fair price to pay for a more stable phone, I'll do this tonight. If I don't post back and just lurk, you know it worked Thanks again bigsupersquid
    09-27-2014 01:42 PM
    I can only figure out how to back up /data, not /data/apps and I hate to admit it but I've never learned even make a recovery back up before now or even after (except I backed up /data just now). I wouldn't know how to restore a back up even though the recovery tools are very transparent....

I'm a turd, I'm looking at this as I type and I see the restore button right next to the back up one. I was about to say before I seen that, I just always made sure my recovery tools were working well or my operating system was working. One or the other, so I have never needed to use the recovery tools.

If I clean install and only restore /data, will that do what you've suggested and restore the apps? Oh well I've got nothing better to do I'll give it a shot. Can you point me towards the door I need to open to read up on how to back up the /data/apps partition though if you see this and know I'm making a mistake?

And sorry about that question earlier about f2fs, I see in your 3rd post you made a point of explaining it was a file system already, I'll take care to not skim anymore because your directions are surprisingly good and you seem to always answer everything before I even ask ha.
    09-27-2014 07:55 PM
1,625 ... 4748495051 ...