08-07-2017 10:49 PM
1,625 ... 6162636465
tools
    Video related:
    MX Player with the armv6 vfp codec also work well on my phone. Video camera is still broken. I tried Google Camera app from Google Play a couple weeks ago. It was totally broken. I had to do a nandroid restore to get back the Gapps camera which at least took still photos.
    I am able to record video using Open Camera. Just make sure you go into the settings and change the resolution for video recording to 640 x 480 or lower before you try to switch from still camera mode to video, otherwise it will force close. I'd post a link but the forum won't let me do that because I don't have 10 posts yet. Even if the video doesn't work for you, it's a good little camera app: Lightweight, nifty features, free, and with no ads.

Regarding MX Player, according to the descriptions of the codecs on Play, you only need them if the main app prompts you to download them, and I don't get a prompt. Do I actually need the codec?
    bigsupersquid likes this.
    03-23-2015 01:27 AM
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...encamera&hl=en
    Thank Mister_Zero for the app

Works-first time I've had video, verified that you need to change the vid res to 480 x 600
    Tracking these updates, backtracked and added the gms-1 folder to the app/data.
    Didn't actually roll back play store, just services. We'll see if it keeps working. Did install and update with play store, so it doesn't mind using the original services with a newer store.

Anybody-very specifically-running an OptiS, OS2SD version, on the 10-25 build, NOT able to use GPS apps due to the GPS acting like it's not on?

Also, I'm going to plug a Launcher I've been using that's kind of nice. Any fans of Zeam launcher would probably appreciate Hola Launcher. It does plug for other Hola stuff, but not in an annoying way. I love the Hola Boost thing built into it. Eliminated the need for things like battery doctor/ other RAM cleaning apps. Really clean and light on the install.

Hate to celebrate due to others misfortune, but I like all the new attention the ROM is getting due to phone's breaking.
    Ahh the good old trusty reliable (albeit slow) Opti series.
    03-27-2015 06:41 PM
    Apps I like: audible, camera zoom fx, catan, dolphin browser, elixir widgets, quickoffice, Swype keyboard, osmand, Pandora, weather channel, appgratis, avast, es file explorer, Google search, mx player, mysword, pitchlab. That's a start anyway. ;-)
    The current version of Pandora (from Play) stopped working for me, just within the last week or so. That was a crisis; I listen to hours of Pandora at work, since streaming music on my work PC is verboten. I reverted to version 5.6.2 from apkmirror(dot)com and all is well.

Had Dolphin browser; it worked fine, but I switched to Dolphin Mini because it's faster and I actually prefer its UI.
    03-28-2015 01:46 PM
    Tested many things--a long list of updates for everyone.

bigsupersquid, I have used the gps.conf without the NTP lines for a week. It is better than before in that the three clocks are no longer out of sync but they still lag together after a while. This synchronized lag is most noticeable when I first turn on the screen in the morning. With the new gps.conf, the clocks update a few seconds after I turn on the screen. I used to have to wait as much as a minute before they update to the correct time.

syguyice, about a month ago, I ran my phone with "Show CPU usage" for a week. I noticed that the random reboots occurred when the list is very long, regardless of how much RAM is used/left. I disabled zRAM to reduce CPU load, and that seemed to help. However, that was before I overclocked to 806MHz. Now, my phone is happy to run with zRAM. Waze is actually quite usable on this phone.

dradzanowski, are you able to report crashes? Whenever I click report on the pop-up message after an app crashes on my phone, I get the "Google Play Store has stopped working" error. I'd be interested to know if a newer version of Play Store with an older version of Play Services can report crashes.

mister_zero, thank you for the Open Camera recommendation. It is also the first time I have video on this ROM.
    On my phone, Dolphin browser causes reboot about every 2 out of 3 times I close the browser and return to the home screen. I tried clearing data/cache and reinstalling but Dolphin consistently causes reboots.
    bigsupersquid and Shinkenred like this.
    03-28-2015 03:47 PM
    Try CM Browser instead. It happens to be smaller a file size and a little faster than Dolphin.

bigsupersquid, do you know if SD cards by Lexar are any good? Target doesn't seem to carry SanDisk anymore.
    04-02-2015 09:57 PM
    Try CM Browser instead. It happens to be smaller a file size and a little faster than Dolphin.

bigsupersquid, do you know if SD cards by Lexar are any good? Target doesn't seem to carry SanDisk anymore.
    No good.
    [ROM] [4.4.4] CyanogenMod 11.0 for LG Optimus One [F2FS] [OS2SD] [14/12/11] - Post #250 - XDA Forums
    And my experience with several lexar 16G , was very poor.
    Shinkenred likes this.
    04-03-2015 10:50 AM
    bigsupersquid and other contributors,
    Thanks for this mod. I have 1025 ext4 setup on my Optimus V with pico pc gapps and CrossBreeder. I fixed the 01cache, gps.conf and the boot.img as described in the thread. Some play store closed messages still to resolve. It works for what I want. Biggest issues is battery life. I run it on wifi almost exclusively so maybe that's it, but when I look at the system/battery screen it shows "Screen" as the biggest user at 63% after an hour with wifi off and airplane mode on. CPU set to 806/122. Any suggestions on how to improve battery life? It dropped almost 10% of battery in 1 hour.
    04-06-2015 03:59 AM
    Long press home and swipe away background apps, use fast reboot, try the double tap statusbar to sleep instead of power button..
    Tell google location settings it can't use wifi controls too.
    It's a real battery sucker, i need multiples charged or mostly keeping it plugged in during use to get thru a day of really using the gps and data.
    badblue1__ likes this.
    04-06-2015 05:55 PM
    The biggest battery savers for me are:
    A. Keep wifi off unless needed. Annoying yes, but that's still a big cause for battery drain for me. Also, uncheck any wifi setting allowing apps to use wifi network for location/other even while wifi is off.
    B. Download and use "Greenify" from the app store to see what's waking or keeping awake your processor. Google Search was my biggest culprit. Greenify-ing it keeps it from waking your processor to run, only allowing it to do it's thing when processor is already running.

EDIT:
    P.S. My phone's not been on a charger since 7am. It's now 10:30pm, and my phone has 35% battery, just for some stats.
    04-07-2015 12:35 AM
    The biggest battery savers for me are:
    A. Keep wifi off unless needed. Annoying yes, but that's still a big cause for battery drain for me. Also, uncheck any wifi setting allowing apps to use wifi network for location/other even while wifi is off.
    B. Download and use "Greenify" from the app store to see what's waking or keeping awake your processor. Google Search was my biggest culprit. Greenify-ing it keeps it from waking your processor to run, only allowing it to do it's thing when processor is already running.

EDIT:
    P.S. My phone's not been on a charger since 7am. It's now 10:30pm, and my phone has 35% battery, just for some stats.
    Greenify a good idea, especially with all the apps you can fit on os2sd. Background apps gobble battery. Google apps are particularly bad about it but they're far from the only ones.
    I can keep my v idle with one battery over a day but if I'm really using it heavily I'm guaranteed to drain a battery or three.
    04-07-2015 06:41 AM
    so I saw a while back that cm11's bacon is about fully cooked.
    androidarmv6 put up commits that may fix the play glitches.
    I'd like to put together an EOL version... still no pc.
    Good news is I'm getting interesting results so far with debian sid (multiarch with qemu-user-static and binfmt_misc) running some armhf, some i386, some amd64 binaries all in one debian sid chroot on my evo. It runs static binaries from all three arch's fine, and hopefully the multiarch will solve the linking errors I was getting trying to chroot straight into an amd64 debian jessie.
    It will be slow but if lucky I can build with it.
    The multiarch chroot is just a mind-blower.
    I mean, really, just
    sudo dpkg add-architecture amd64
    sudo dpkg add-architecture i386
    ???
    And raspbian is capable of it too... I had their wheezy doing multiarch as well. Just need a kernel with binfmt_misc in it and qemu-static-user in your chroot.
    Fun and games going on again.
    And if I got my hands on a build computer again (fried/overheated my mobo and cpu on the last one with cm12) I can make fixes about 6x faster than on my 1.5GHzx2 1GB RAM evo v... but that's hardware I can't afford.
    04-07-2015 05:25 PM
    I used Greenify, Wakelock Detector, and BetterBatteryStats (the full version is free on xda). I found that my phone could not enter deep sleep at all when wifi was on. The wakelock amounts with wifi and with mobile data were the same, both in the order of minutes. However, with wifi on, the awake time was in the order of hours. For this reason, Greenify did not help. Also, the stock "never keep wifi off in sleep" setting did not work. Although in the stock battery info graph, wifi was shown as off about 20 minutes after the screen was turned off, the phone never entered deep sleep. I found no difference in the logcat output between using wifi and using mobile data. Therefore, I suspect that, at least in my case, the insomnia was in the kernel.

I removed Greenify and BetterBatteryStats but I kept Wakelock Detector. After that, I installed Better Wifi On/Off (from the makers of BetterBatteryStats, full version free on Play Store). Better Wifi On/Off actually works. I have it set to turn off the wifi if there is no network activity 10 seconds after the screen is off. Now, the deep sleep hours are approximately the same in both wifi and mobile data, and the battery lasts the same amount of time in both.
    04-07-2015 07:58 PM
    Google forced me to update to the newest version of Google Play Services.

Updated apps started to not work without the newer version of Google Play Services.
    [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4-screenshot_2015-04-05-04-52-07.png [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4-screenshot_2015-04-05-12-20-48.png
    04-08-2015 06:43 PM
    Haha, yeah, had that won't run unless update Google Play. I just uninstalled all the apps that wanted that. Replaced Keep with Inkpad. Right now, I'm dealing with a fried micro usb plugin. Bleh. Might me time for a new Opti S
    04-09-2015 10:35 AM
    Haha, yeah, had that won't run unless update Google Play. I just uninstalled all the apps that wanted that. Replaced Keep with Inkpad. Right now, I'm dealing with a fried micro usb plugin. Bleh. Might me time for a new Opti S
    last i saw they were under $20 shipped from sleazebay. Sometimes under $15.
    04-09-2015 07:37 PM
    I am paying $25 per month for the unlimited text and data plan that now worths $35 under Virgin Mobile's grandfather clause. The grandfather clause stipulates that I can keep the legacy rate as long as I don't change plan or change phone. I am happy to save $120 every year by not getting a new phone.
    04-09-2015 10:54 PM
    I think I'll be okay because I can just install the apps I need with .apks but what's the fix if I want the Play store?

[GAPPS][CLOSED][4.4.4] PA-GOOGLE APPS (All R… | Paranoid Android | XDA Forums
    04-10-2015 08:53 PM
    dang.
    I'd say use cyanogen gapps and manually remove stuff like g+ and earth that are armv7 only.
    I'll look into a new package. renewing ancient Toshiba t4020 for slow but functional building capacity.
    04-12-2015 12:12 AM
    play services wakelock can be turned off.
    see comments here, check dk-zero-cool's and the one above.
    basically, setting/privacy/privacy guard/(menu>enable show built in apps)
    long press offending app (this case, play services)
    go down the list and disable keep awake, wake up, wifi controls, anything else you dislike.

if you'd like the direct approach, widgets/settings/app ops shortcut on homescreen then use it to control the app perms.

also of interest:
    https://github.com/microg
    04-17-2015 11:55 AM
    04-23-2015 10:01 AM
    testing updated boot.img
    runs a pre-boot init busybox shell script. Roughly:

mounts internal /data, checks for presence of, in order:
    /data/first_boot
    /data/internal_boot
    (touch either of these to make them exist, they're only referenced as there or not there.)

either of those exists, phone boots into internal mode.
    (first_boot gets removed by init script. It's there to insure you get both internal and os2sd systems set up with your user info on a fresh flash.)

failing to find either of those /data/*_boot files, the script checks:
    existence of os2sd /data (mmcblk0p4)
    if it's there, mounts os2sd /system, checks for /system/build.prop
    if build.prop exists, swaps in fstab.thunderc.os2sd for fstab.thunderc in ramdisk.
    unmounts /system
    unmounts /data
    cleans up preinit mounts
    copies init to pre-init
    copies android_init to init
    chroot / /init

Works, too. Boots to internal on demand or if os2sd is missing or sufficiently damaged.
    Disadvantages: adds at least 30 seconds to boot time regardless of boot mode.
    ROM file takes longer to flash since it goes to both internal and os2sd.
    Have to flash internal skinny gapps and os2sd gapps both. Working on compilation file like the ROM. Should block play services update automatically on fresh flash.

I'll post some updates soon. Hard to do a lot with a laptop roughly equivalent to my Evo. no 64-bit system, so no ROM build capability. does kernels and boot images, and zip files, fine though.
    // made OS2SD switcher app to go along with. Lets you select which mode to boot into.

//edit: FYI, the os2sd lockscreen time/date centering issue is the LockClock apk. If it's getting its weather feed it looks ok, but without that the date is off-center. Remove the apk to fix the visual glitch.
    Shinkenred likes this.
    05-07-2015 12:57 PM
    Closer to an 'update'
    no new source build unfortunately, but the modded boot.img is holding up well.

Did you know that linux-4.1 from kernel.org supports an armv5 device out-of-the box (Dreamplug) (and two armv6k as well?)
    They're different mach- models and 4.1 has removed the mach-msm applicable bits for older chips completely.
    I dislike google and lg more after finding that out.
    //edit: and don't forget Qualcomm for being annoyed at since they see fit to obsolete chips and STILL not release source code to support them. Not like they're expecting to make their own breakthroughs on the msm7x27 series... they even removed it completely from the CAF linux-msm kernel quite a while back.
    05-16-2015 10:27 AM
    So...I defected to BobZHome's ICS. My phone just seems to be a lot happier running that.

But, that ROM also has a clock lag issue, and there's a very simple workaround: Install a clock widget from Play. I tried several and they all kept perfect time. That doesn't fix the lock screen clock, though.

Maybe this would work for the clock lag issue on this ROM, too?
    05-16-2015 04:13 PM
    So...I defected to BobZHome's ICS. My phone just seems to be a lot happier running that.

But, that ROM also has a clock lag issue, and there's a very simple workaround: Install a clock widget from Play. I tried several and they all kept perfect time. That doesn't fix the lock screen clock, though.

Maybe this would work for the clock lag issue on this ROM, too?
    Clock widgets's've been tried but maybe something would work.

I never liked ics much. But I'm testing an internal/os2sd mirage from the last official build. seems to work ok. I just like the stability and kernel improvements of mrg666's work. The random reboots on the kitkat are annoying me and I can't build to try to fix them.
    05-25-2015 05:30 PM
    I'm currently using
    11.0-f2fs_os2sd_bigsuperROM
    ZV5 baseband
    3.0.101r6.0 ack@build-mach#4 kernel

Build # cm_thunderc-userdebug 4.4.4 KU84Q
    f2fs_os2sd_bigsuprrom test-keys

Should I update anything? Everything works (camera, video record, hotspot, wifi, etc) except-
    random reboots -particularly when I plug in or unplug my USB cable, but other times as well
    Black-blue screen -unresponsive, just goes black but screen is on, a couple times a day. Occasionally when this happens it won't reboot, and when I hard reset the black lit screen comes back. Might be SD card/SD card reader failure.
    Oh, and the status bar craps out on me and disappears, freezing the active app. Putting the phone to sleep and waking it up will fix it, though its hard to wake up.

Any ideas whether this is Android, hardware, or a combination?
    I'd rather not buy another V, since I can get a 4G phone for $40-50...

One BIG question-
    Are there any other roms I can flash with TWRP, and my partitions exactly as they are?
    I just want to compare without having to reformat it. (No PC, so no way to back it up)

Thanks for the work, I love your rom.
    (Want to clarify, not sarcasm. Kitkat on this OV has totally spoiled me! Even with the problems, I don't think I could go back to anything else.)
    06-08-2015 07:02 PM
1,625 ... 6162636465