08-07-2017 09:49 PM
1,625 ... 62636465
tools
    Hi Redchigh, I'll take a crack at the items you mentioned. Your 3 issues sound related to each other, likely due to random components crashing, which are possible symptoms of memory/swap corruption. Bigsupersquid may ask you for logcats to determine the exact process/cause, but in the meantime I'd suggest trying the october/november ext4 builds (non-f2fs). Given that os2sd builds rely heavily on SD card (anything from internal storage to more importantly in your case, memory swaps), and that f2fs builds use a new disk library/format that have stability issues in this ROM, it would be safer to get it out of the way first.

Other than that, I suggest keeping the performance parameters at defaults (CFQ IO scheduler, Interactive processor governor, no overclocking, and original memory management settings) to make sure os2sd runs stable first, before embarking on any kind of tweaking.

Hope this helps.
    06-10-2015 02:30 PM
    I just noticed I am running f2fs.. Even before, OS2SD wore out my sd cards really fast. (Had to buy a new one every two months.)

I suspect my sd card, so I bought a new 32gb. I'm upgrading to an Optimus F6 soon for 4G, so I was planning on getting a new card anyway.

Is there any reason to use os2sd over internal+toucanscript?

Also, I'm not sure where to get gapps. The link in the first post isnt applicable anymore.

Thanks for the help.
    06-10-2015 06:47 PM
    Toucanscrypt runs great, requires a little less initial configuration and should require a little less out of your sd. However if you've got issues with your internal memory, then obviously running as much external as possible might be smart, and thus OS2SD would be wise in such a case.
    Shinkenred likes this.
    06-11-2015 04:26 AM
    @Redchigh: I know os2sd puts a strain on SD cards, but a new one every 2 months is a little extreme. I've been using an (old) 16gb with this ROM, and it's just starting to show possible issues now after a year of abuse, so I suspect even more serious disk activity is happening in your optimus. Is your memory usually below 30mb free, and/or with disk intensive apps running? I suspect the main culprit to be heavy swapping due to low RAM. One way to monitor the disk activity would be via the CPU Usage display under Developer Tools, and watch for big activity in blue. How has your battery life been?

I haven't used Toucanscript, although internal build was very limiting. Does Toucanscript move the cache and swap partitions to SD card?

There have been a few discussions on getting gapps and how to tweak it to work (e.g. finding old armv6 builds). I personally have avoided them in this aging phone, and substituted with 3rd party options when necessary (e.g. map navigator for gps). Bigsupersquid may be able to point you to where the current repository for gapps is.

Also, for your BIG question 2 posts back, it's unlikely there are other ROMs that would work with bigsupersquid's setup as-is. This may be a good reason to go with internal+Toucanscript, if you want to be able to switch between different ROMs easily.
    06-11-2015 12:11 PM
    @Redchigh:
    I haven't used Toucanscript, although internal build was very limiting. Does Toucanscript move the cache and swap partitions to SD card?

Also, for your BIG question 2 posts back, it's unlikely there are other ROMs that would work with bigsupersquid's setup as-is. This may be a good reason to go with internal+Toucanscript, if you want to be able to switch between different ROMs easily.
    Too much to explain so here's the quote from my site:
    "Here it is! My script originally designed for KitKat on the Optimus S/V. It's got a new name, and I'm bumping it up to 1.0 1.1 after a major find and another major breakthrough! You can now install apps from play store without /data filling ANY from temp apk downloads. It was actually surprisingly hard to find where it stored those! Also, the entire /data/app folder can be temporarily (or permanently if desired) moved to SD. This allows you to install apps that are too large to fit internally, link them with Link2sd, and then return the folder to internal with the link intact! I know, epic right?!

*Goal*
    The goal of Toucanscript is to maximize the app potential with older phones through unique use of the SD card. This is all done while balancing the benefits of extra internal space for apps with the benefits of running as much internally as possible.

*Here's what it does:*
    [INDENT]
    Cache is moved to sd-ext, and thus the internal cache partition is empty.
    App libraries are moved to /intextra which is the renamed empty cache partition. This frees space on the data partition to install larger apps (although total app size is limited only by the size of the sd-ext partition, individual apps still install internally before being linked, and thus apps larger than about 100 MB won't install). With a new script add-on, data partition size is no longer an issue!
    Dalvik-cache is moved to sd-ext along with playstore temp downloads!
    As space on the system partition is precious, /system/media, /system/tts, and /system/app are moved to /intextra as well. Thus, system apps still run off the internal, but they have some extra space.
    Basically, it's a folder-by-folder (and some file-by-file) OS2SD mimic to a single SD partion rather than several with none of the limits of internal yet as much running internal as possible, and the ability to move individual apps via Link2SD between internal and external (wheh!). And yes, it should work with other roms, although if I remember right, recent recovery/rom combinations switch 2 internal partitions around which may mean I might have to do a slight tweak to the script if you use a different recovery/rom. I'd be happy to do so if it doesn't work as is, and it'd be only like a 2 second flash to go between the two script versions rather than hours reconfiguring partitions.
    Shinkenred likes this.
    06-11-2015 12:36 PM
    Could my problems have been because it was f2fs?

Battery life is horrible, or rather, was.
    So far with this internal build, its quite a bit better. Still bad, only able to get a couple hours of heavy use on a charge, but twice as good as it was.
    06-11-2015 02:49 PM
    @Redchigh: I believe f2fs contributed to at least half of your problems, thus it was first on my to-remove list. The rest would likely come down to limitations of the phone/rom, and some can be alleviated via tweaks. What would your heavy use consist of? My optimus can squeeze out ~6 hours of mixed video playback and audio streaming/downloading over wifi (medium usage), or use 5% of battery for 2 hours of local audio podcast playback (light usage). These are mostly due to mine being used as a media player (in airplane mode with wifi & misc tweaks), which allows it to use 1% of battery for each 4 hours of standby, so my optimus can keep me occupied on my commute while still keeping my real (and even more battery-hungry) phone charged.

If your usage consists of a lot of phone calls / mobile data / screen-on time, then the battery life would be greatly diminished given how small/old Optimus is, but I would say you should still be able to squeeze out at least another hour or 2 when tweaked properly.
    06-17-2015 10:27 AM
    Heavy use is mostly just non-stop web browsing, or simple gaming.
    I also use it as a hotspot, but having it last more than an hour doing that is just out of the realm of possibility I think.
    06-18-2015 04:43 AM
    I assume you are using mobile data (instead of wifi) given that you use hotspot, which combined with a lot of screen time (browsing/gaming) and network traffic (web/game ads) would mean your battery life would probably top at 2 hours, maybe 3 if you are willing to take some actions to conserve battery power, like turning off mobile data when you don't need it, reduce screen brightness, etc. For reference, I use about 20% battery after an hour of Plants vs Zombies.

Before working on battery life however, how are the random issues you reported earlier looking now? If the phone is still not usable then we should resolve that first.
    06-18-2015 10:06 AM
    Forgive my improper use of the thread, but as a long time follower/subscriber/poster here I figured most of you wouldn't mind, plus comments have been slow here anyway. Got a guy trying to get my Toucanscrypt that I built for this rom to work with a different rom and recovery. In theory, this shouldn't be a problem; I've checked for incompatibilities and even tweaked it to work better with what he has. However, he's stuck at square one: getting the thing to flash. Every time he tries, he gets:
    Code:
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Installing update...
    E:Error in /sdcard/Toucanscrypt-1.1alternate.zip
    (Status 0)
    Installation aborted.
    I've tried working him through everything I could think of. I flashed it myself and it worked just fine. I had him do an update-binary swap with something that did flash fine, etc.

Do you, squid, or any of y'all with your plethera of knowledge, have any clue what might be causing a Status 0 preventing this zip from flashing? Thanks in advance, and again, I apologize for the break in etiquette.
    Shinkenred likes this.
    06-28-2015 12:17 AM
    Figured it out, sort of. Recovery he was using didn't work. New recovery and worked just fine. Don't know why that should make a difference with flashing a zip, but eh. Any info that'd help me make sense of this for the future would be greatly appreciated. Hope you all are doing well!
    06-28-2015 10:58 PM
    Hi Toucan, which recovery failed and which worked? Perhaps it's due to the partition migrations in TWRP for this ROM. Also, which other ROM is he using? Given that development here is slowing down, and my Optimus is due for a new install after replacing the failing sdcard (data slowly disappearing), it may be time for something new (sorry Bigsupersquid; it's not you, it's me )
    07-01-2015 08:36 AM
    He was working with mirage and bean whiz on 2 different phones. Not sure what recovery didn't work, but squid's recovery is what worked.
    07-01-2015 11:08 AM
    Here's the Toucanscrypt thread where we went back and forth: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=375959
    Toucanscrypt: Unlimited Apps!
    07-01-2015 11:09 AM
    I can open you a vm if you'd like. all i have right now is omnirom 5.1 source, but it can be put on an ssd. if you do take up my offer, email me ssh details jaclane299@gmail.com
    07-31-2015 10:00 AM
    I can open you a vm if you'd like. all i have right now is omnirom 5.1 source, but it can be put on an ssd. if you do take up my offer, email me ssh details
    noted, and thanks. got an older 64 bit box, it at least runs modern toolchains. Even if the 3.0 kernel crashes on thunderc if compiled with gcc 4.8 on up.
    Advise purging your email for bot scanners though.
    08-07-2015 08:09 PM
    Same problem with gcc 4.8. It's related to slub I think.
    bigsupersquid likes this.
    08-28-2015 05:11 PM
    I've not done much debugging lately, temporarily reverted to no-gapps Mirage so I can text message and browse at work without reboots.
    I will get to it sometime, kitkat needs a 'final' release.
    Been playing with native Raspian, fbdev (no accel,) evdev touchscreen, e17 gui. Fairly decent. have wifi, bluetooth turns on with brcm_patchram_plus.. scans and recognizes devices, gets their info, but doesn't pair yet though. Bad bluetoothd.
    Almost have freedreno running but can't get system to insert the yamato*.fw files to start up and it segfaults without the firmware. without the GL, xrandr bites and won't change anything, won't scale, won't rotate or pan. Just try running a browser in 320x480 without scaling or panning.
    kernel branch debian for patches and config changes for that. no info to share on the wifi and bt except the xda thread that clued me in...
    [GUIDE] Native Debian on Samsung Galaxy i750… | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums
    teaser screenie, building kpkg
    [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4-shot-2015-08-30_23-29-02.png
    lgrootnoob likes this.
    08-31-2015 02:30 PM
    Sounds like it didn't flash right. Wipe and reflash.
    10-10-2015 07:38 PM
    Sounds like it didn't flash right. Wipe and reflash.
    Hey thanks for replying. I'm using TWRP, when you say wipe and reflash, do you mean wipe Data, cache, dalvik or advanced wipe? Also should I be installing the Internal or the OS2SD version? I'm struggling to find much through googling, and I'm on a mac so the fact I've made it this far seems surprising.
    10-10-2015 08:56 PM
    I actually don't have this phone anymore.

Read the first post again. OS2SD moves the OS to a partition on the SD card. It has its benefits and drawbacks.

Internal is slightly easier, OS2SD requires partitioning the SD.

I'm really sure the directions in the first post will help if you take it slow. I'm pretty sure wipe is under wipe/format. You want to wipe system, data, cache, and dalvik.
    10-10-2015 08:59 PM

Read the first post again. OS2SD moves the OS to a partition on the SD card. It has its benefits and drawbacks.

I'm really sure the directions in the first post will help if you take it slow. I'm pretty sure wipe is under wipe/format. You want to wipe system, data, cache, and dalvik.
    I'll give this a try. Thanks
    10-10-2015 09:19 PM

Can't seem to get the SDcard to format and mount properly, just went ahead and installed the internal version. Everything's working great. Thanks for the help man!
    10-11-2015 02:11 PM
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Years guys, I know I'll not remember when it actually comes up.
    12-05-2015 09:00 PM
    Happy new year everyone!

So I've been paying attention to this board for the past couple months but I haven't had the time or know how to really get rooting. Seems like maybe now is the time to start. I'm what you would call 'a total n00b'. So, sorry, these questions are going to sound really dumb. First things first, how I actually load the TWRP recovery image onto the phone?
    01-01-2016 08:58 PM
1,625 ... 62636465