[ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

Scottyps

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.2][OS2SD/internal]OV-KitKat (JBC based)

Has anyone experienced trouble with downloading from the Play Store? I just flashed this ROM and the Skinny Gapps from the Sprint Thread & set up google play, but when attempting to download & install any app, I get an error message :

"[app name]" could not be downloaded due to an error. (Error retrieving information from server. [RPC:S-3])

Web browser & internet connection seems fine, so being a novice with these things, I am unsure where to go from here...

EDIT: Fixed. Turns out this is a problem not unique to this ROM

Last edited:

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Yes, I see that every time one of the partitions fills up. If you followed mgr666's recommendations and are using link2sd, go to the storage info page in link2sd and scroll all the way down to the bottom to check if you have space free on all your partitions. I'll bet one of your partitions is completely full. The error message is less than helpful!

BTW, I have found that I am able to move some applications manually that link2sd would not move automatically. I also used link2sd to integrate some updates into their applications and that saved space too. Just make sure you have a good backup and don't be afraid to experiment.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Y'all really should consider either the OS2SD version, or if you're like me and like some stuff on internal and external, you should try my scripts HERE. Your cache size, dalvik-cache size, and system partition size will SERIOUSLY limit how many apps you can have on your phone if you're using the internal with Link2SD only.

That's what I used to do... until I wiped my dalvik-cache in recovery one day--BAD MOVE. This destroys all the links created by Link2SD, and so the entire dalvik-cache that had been linked gets rebuilt internally, and if you have, like, 200 apps like me, the little Optimus S partitions can't come close to handling that. My scripts prevent that as the entire dalvik-cache is moved externally, with the ability to link individual apps just like before, and a handy cache/dalvik wipe-script to start fresh with rebuilt caches and no headaches.

dradzanowski

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

Every time I try a fresh download, I get "failed-network error". It starts downloading, then gets down to about 15 Mb and switches to failed.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Every time I try a fresh download, I get "failed-network error". It starts downloading, then gets down to about 15 Mb and switches to failed.

Trying to download right now. Will let you know as soon as I find out if I can or not.
EDIT: Internal build downloaded just fine. Sorry I didn't tell you earlier, left the comp to go do other stuff; forgot to come back.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Which Governers and CPU frequencies are the best for this OS2SD ROM?
Frequency depends on your phone, they're all a little different.
Don't tell it to set on boot until you're adjusted in.
To see the max overclock you can manage, set it as high as it goes first. If it doesn't immediately reboot, open gallery and/or camera and mess around. If it doesn't reboot you've got a nice chip. If it does try again one setting lower. Keep doing that until no reboots, use it a while, if no random reboots, then drop overclock one more notch (that's supposed to be your stable setting) and tell it to set on boot.
I use performance governor myself but that's supposed to be for power savings (no ramp up/down for cpu supposedly uses less power.) You can experiment with governors, use what I do, or just leave it at default.

Lpen21

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

Hey all trying out a new app called sEFix entropy fixer which changes the threshold level to a recommended range between 128-256. The default without the app is 64 for me, with seeder. This only changes the the threshold and does not mess with entropy levels. So far seems to help with Lag overall.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Hey, been looking into swap files and partitions. Was going to give one or the other a try (read all about +'s and -'s). Does the kernel support swap partitions or should I just use a swap file?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Hey, been looking into swap files and partitions. Was going to give one or the other a try (read all about +'s and -'s). Does the kernel support swap partitions or should I just use a swap file?

the kernel does have swap enabled
//edit:; and if you want to check for anything specific in the kernel config,
Code:
zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i  <WTF>
where <WTF> is the thing you're looking for (like SWAP)
the -i makes it case insensitive but kernel config is all uppercase anyway except for help text.

Last edited:

Lpen21

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

Here is a link to an app called MenuBeGone comes from Xposed framework http://dl.xposed.info/modules/ro.epb.menubegone_v1_9a8d1f.apk
It changes the menu button to the left of home into a multitasking tool of recently used apps and gives access to the 3 button menu on all other apps. Supposed to to give same functionality as Samsung s5 which retains a physical home button and capacitive menu button. Nothing earth shattering but still kind of cool.
Edit: I downloaded it but not sure if we already had this functionality, need someone to confirm

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Here is a link to an app called MenuBeGone comes from Xposed framework http://dl.xposed.info/modules/ro.epb.menubegone_v1_9a8d1f.apk
It changes the menu button to the left of home into a multitasking tool of recently used apps and gives access to the 3 button menu on all other apps. Supposed to to give same functionality as Samsung s5 which retains a physical home button and capacitive menu button. Nothing earth shattering but still kind of cool.
Edit: I downloaded it but not sure if we already had this functionality, need someone to confirm
long press home for recent apps (press the three-button on the top right to kill them or swipe them away one at a time to kill them, clearing RAM)
The menu overflow button (the three-dot thing) shows up some places like Browser but I haven't gone digging in PAC to get the goodies out yet. Hades, I haven't gotten a running build for a full month since something broke that makes it bootloop.

Lpen21

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

Interested in trying this. Read up on it and the only downside seems to be increased lag if overused.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

the kernel does have swap enabled
//edit:; and if you want to check for anything specific in the kernel config,
Code:
zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i  <WTF>
where <WTF> is the thing you're looking for (like SWAP)
the -i makes it case insensitive but kernel config is all uppercase anyway except for help text.

Thanks, very helpful! I did get a 256MB swap partition working using Swapper 2 from the play store and it already seems to be helping. I've been using the newest Swype keyboard trial, which loaded kinda slow. Not anymore.
This is something that probably lessens sd card lifespan, and there is potential for hard brick (which is why I needed to be absolutely sure it was supported) for both unsupported ROMs and misconfigured swap partitions. In spite of this, the benefits seem pretty awesome, so I'm gonna continue to test. Will let y'all know how things turn out! :)

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Interested in trying this. Read up on it and the only downside seems to be increased lag if overused.

Yeah, I've read smaller is better for partition size (128-512ish MB ) as there is less data to be searched through. Less is somewhat better with regard to settings too from what I've read (similar to what you were saying) as SD is slower than true RAM--this becomes a balancing act as native RAM r/w speed is better but not by enough to offset the benefit from the extra "ram" quantity gained through the SD partition.

Also, be VERY careful to use the right partition in settings before activating as it appears the app has potential to overwrite important partitions and hard brick your phone. Here's another spot in the Android market where I wish I knew how to program apps and update this 2010 thing. Prevent writing to non-swap partitions. Maybe let it take into consideration current RAM to auto-optimize settings rather than the guess and check you have to do currently.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

zram is some kind of compressed-swap in RAM too. it seems to keep my V from freezing or rebooting as quickly under persistent app existence (oom killer doesn't seem to be working right as my RAM usage goes up in the 80-90+ % range over time after opening multiple apps.)
I use 'device info live wallpaper' to monitor RAM, tilt, compass, battery, cpu, and actual system time.
using fast reboot off market, plus the long-press home to kill background apps, frees RAM up nicely. But those are manual solutions, and I have to notice they need used as well.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

... Here's another spot in the Android market where I wish I knew how to program apps and update this 2010 thing...
yuk. decompiling and modding and recompiling. Not enough open source stuff out there, even these days.
Those issues are exactly why I share source code.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

yuk. decompiling and modding and recompiling. Not enough open source stuff out there, even these days.
Those issues are exactly why I share source code.

Yeah, with something like that, it'd probably be better just to start from scratch.

Lpen21

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

zram is some kind of compressed-swap in RAM too. it seems to keep my V from freezing or rebooting as quickly under persistent app existence (oom killer doesn't seem to be working right as my RAM usage goes up in the 80-90+ % range over time after opening multiple apps.)
I use 'device info live wallpaper' to monitor RAM, tilt, compass, battery, cpu, and actual system time.
using fast reboot off market, plus the long-press home to kill background apps, frees RAM up nicely. But those are manual solutions, and I have to notice they need used as well.
The most RAM I can free up without rebooting is around 240 mb and that is quickly used up if I am surfing for like 5 min. If it gets below 60 then things come to a screeching halt. I have a widget monitoring RAM as well and if it gets to around 100 I will use quick reboot. I think changing the entropy threshold from 64 to 250 seems to be helping with lag but not with RAM depletion. Would be nice to have an app that would execute a quick reboot in the background at predetermined levels but that would probably cost some lag.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

The most RAM I can free up without rebooting is around 240 mb and that is quickly used up if I am surfing for like 5 min. If it gets below 60 then things come to a screeching halt. I have a widget monitoring RAM as well and if it gets to around 100 I will use quick reboot. I think changing the entropy threshold from 64 to 250 seems to be helping with lag but not with RAM depletion. Would be nice to have an app that would execute a quick reboot in the background at predetermined levels but that would probably cost some lag.
fast reboot pro does it on a time interval, I think. Might have more features.
and the bloody oom killer is supposed to knock off apps one at a time by lowest priority as the RAM usage increases. I don't think it's working right. It kills things sometimes (see it in the log,) but not often enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34