[ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

Lpen21

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.2][OS2SD/internal]OV-KitKat (JBC based)

That is interesting, but be sure to check coverage before jumping. I just checked for my address and Virgin has Wimax here rather than LTE in my area in the heart of Silicon Valley. The Volt doesn't list Wimax as one of its features. And I suppose that the spark version of LTE will be available in a lot less areas than traditional LTE.

T-Mobile does have LTE coverage in my area and I have the new model Moto G LTE on order from Amazon.

Also, although the Volt comes with kitkat, virgin has conditioned me to not expect any significant updates while Motorola gets all the new releases. The Volt price is attractive, though - $180 vs $220. Options are good!
Wife just got this phone and it does not disappoint. We do have LTE in our area, but really for me its not that important since I have wifi at home and at work. The battery in this thing is a monster, heavy use and lasts FOREVER. This is a Very nice phone for the price point, good camera and instantly Syncs to cable box or satellite provider to double as a remote control. I was impressed by this phone but as I said earlier I'm going to squeeze every last bit of use out of my V, this will probably be my next phone as the S5 is $600 and the S3 still too pricey.

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey...bigsupersquid...

This ROM won't install at all anymore per se: the boot animation is blurry, and once the setup wizard shows up, it crashes the moment I press start...

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Hey...bigsupersquid...

This ROM won't install at all anymore per se: the boot animation is blurry, and once the setup wizard shows up, it crashes the moment I press start...
the gapps have to be flashed with the ROM for the setup wizard issue.
boot animation is half-res to save space.
Your nand doesn't flash well either, unless you've replaced the phone... but if it gets as far as setupwizard it probably flashed ok.

dradzanowski

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.2]OV-KitKat (JBC based)

Running the ROM now. Amazing, root uninstalled a few of the system files, I've got gmail, battery doctor, dolphin browser mini, Android music player, sports tracker, and inkpad squeezed in. It takes away the gaming option (which is good for my family).
Snappy speed, beautiful, running nice and quick at 480-600 for the clock.
One thing, do you have just the speakerphone fix separate? I don't want a full update, just a fix.
It routes all calls to the speaker, kind of not super private.
AMAZING ROM! Love it, it's my daily driver.
28 hours on this ROM on a full charge, only had 24 on SlimBean (with battery doctor)

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Running the ROM now. Amazing, root uninstalled a few of the system files, I've got gmail, battery doctor, dolphin browser mini, Android music player, sports tracker, and inkpad squeezed in. It takes away the gaming option (which is good for my family).
Snappy speed, beautiful, running nice and quick at 480-600 for the clock.
One thing, do you have just the speakerphone fix separate? I don't want a full update, just a fix.
It routes all calls to the speaker, kind of not super private.
AMAZING ROM! Love it, it's my daily driver.
28 hours on this ROM on a full charge, only had 24 on SlimBean (with battery doctor)
There were originally problems with audio routing between phone earpiece and speaker in the kernel way before kitkat.
Thought that was all fixed.
Turning on speakerphone reverted the output to the earpiece when it was doing that.

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site

the gapps have to be flashed with the ROM for the setup wizard issue.
boot animation is half-res to save space.
Your nand doesn't flash well either, unless you've replaced the phone... but if it gets as far as setupwizard it probably flashed ok.

Ahhh, so the gapps have to be flashed WITH it. Okay...I'll make another backup and try again when I get a chance to. (Hopefully, while I'm still around a Wi-Fi connection!!)

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

So, this seems to currently be the most preferred method for kitkat on the V these days, huh?

That is:
  • this script
  • link2sd
  • internal build linked from the beginning of this thread.
And the only remaining issue seems to be clock lag that only affects the time displayed on the status bar and any clock widgets? How's it doing as far as crashes, unexpected reboots, etc.?

I managed to mess up my mrg666 install by letting link2sd move the holo launcher to the sdcard. I got it working again, but it's very sluggish so I'm just going to reinstall. Might just give kitkat a try. There is a GREAT free to-do/organizational/collaboration web service called Trello at trello.com and their free android client does not work on gingerbread.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

And the only remaining issue seems to be clock lag that only affects the time displayed on the status bar and any clock widgets?,,.

The alarm fails often.
But the clock lag is the big unsolved issue. If I could get a build past March 15 to boot maybe it'd work.
Oh, and the compass might not be working right.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

The alarm fails often.
But the clock lag is the big unsolved issue. If I could get a build past March 15 to boot maybe it'd work.
Oh, and the compass might not be working right.

Also, battery drain while wifi is on is higher than it should be (even if not connected to a network). Not insanely high or anything, but enough that it is a minor annoyance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site

...ahhh, scrap.

Still a no go, bigsupersquid. Even doing ROM+gapps, once it boots up and reaches the setup wizard, the moment I push start, the wizard crashes and renders me unable to do anything.

And it only gets stranger: once back in recovery, it wouldn't restore the backup I had made! No idea how that happened, the nand backup process went fine, but every restore attempt got hung up with an error "during restore sd-ext".

Stranger still, despite the recovery recently REFUSING to flash or restore backups of anything below CM11 (which hadn't been a problem before as I have both a CM10 nand and a BeanWhiz nand), I tried to restore one of my other nand backups...and it restored the BeanWhiz one successfully! Admittedly...I am stumped.

Posted via Android Central App

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

...ahhh, scrap.

Still a no go, bigsupersquid. Even doing ROM+gapps, once it boots up and reaches the setup wizard, the moment I push start, the wizard crashes and renders me unable to do anything.

And it only gets stranger: once back in recovery, it wouldn't restore the backup I had made! No idea how that happened, the nand backup process went fine, but every restore attempt got hung up with an error "during restore sd-ext".

Stranger still, despite the recovery recently REFUSING to flash or restore backups of anything below CM11 (which hadn't been a problem before as I have both a CM10 nand and a BeanWhiz nand), I tried to restore one of my other nand backups...and it restored the BeanWhiz one successfully! Admittedly...I am stumped.

Posted via Android Central App
Have you tried the os2sd? I bet your sdcard is more stable than your nand.

Lpen21

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

Something similar happened to me, where my phone kept constantly rebooting. Got frustrated and tried to restore from Nandroid. I had 3 different restore points and all of them failed to restore. I remembered that a few days back I had dropped the phone( pretty hard) so maybe the sd card got jostled. So I removed the micro sd and re inserted. Problem solved.

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site

I'll need to have a bigger sd card for that, lol. I don't think I'd have enough room to make the required partitions and then put on everything else back as well with the 16GB I currently have.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

I'll need to have a bigger sd card for that, lol. I don't think I'd have enough room to make the required partitions and then put on everything else back as well with the 16GB I currently have.

What have you got on there??? I used an 8 Gb no issues and even had a linux install on it.
Ran out of download room until I cleaned off Raspbian.
Just takes time to back up, and the vfat partition can be empty except for the install zip files.
Up to you, though, just a suggestion based on your personal flashing issue history with that phone of yours.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
It's my thread and I'll b*tch if I want to...

Well.
Sure everyone's noticed there's been zero significant dev activity from me since April.
You can all thank the concept of married with children for that. Thought I should have dev time, it is the ONLY activity I enjoy alone anymore, but it "interferes with me getting things done," things I don't agree are necessary, but which cause ballistic blowouts if everyone doesn't chip in to make things the way one single family member wants them to be. Booooooo.
Since I don't watch tv, or drink, or chat all the time on Facebook, it looks to a person who's enjoyment is filled with those things that I'm "wasting time making my phone better." Nevermind the hours frittered away on the three aforementioned activities counting towards equal free time.
I hate the double standard. I have tolerated its ill effects for at least 5 years now, lost all kinds of property, friends, and pieces of self, and gained nothing but drama, hassle, whining and being bossed around just to keep an intact home environment for my kids. I
I'd have lost tolerance for the way I've been treated almost three years ago if not for trying to keep it together for my kids.
I've lost every bit of say in what is done and how things are handled.
My kids have been put in public school against my clearly stated reservations and disagreement.
This is now a two-job household , leaving no time for chores that used to be done by whichever of us was the stay home parent , making it really a three job household.
While my goals and views of the relationship, money, school, and work are the same as when this started ten years ago, hers have "grown up" into sh*tty spend-spend-wah-money-wah-not-good-enough-want-higher-living-standards nonsense. My kids are living better than I did at their ages.

This post may self destruct at any time.
Can' facebook anything cause of the double sandard where I get whined at for posting and asked if my relationship status is public and posted. Like I'm the one messaging opposite gender folks who are known to try to incite women to cheat.
I hate double standards .
That is all.

Oh, now gotta drive 40min to rethrow a 10 cent paper they say I missed, but I didn't.they'll charge me 1.50 if I don't.

Lpen21

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: It's my thread and I'll b*tch if I want to...

Haha, I get the same thing at my house. Facebook? That does not count "it's how I connect with family and I use it to schedule events" watching tv "it's the only thing that I use to unwind" that doesn't count either. Heaven forbid I get on my laptop or tablet. It's been called my "girlfriend" "boobie box" whatever that means. Bigsupersquid the problem is that you are looking at things through a lens of reason, accountability and logic. Throw all that out the window and you will see the other sides viewpoint, which is kind of like a bizarre alternate quantum universe.

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: It's my thread and I'll b*tch if I want to...

I installed this on my test phone yesterday and it looks really nice. Free space on all the partitions and responsive.

I left it sitting overnight and at noon on Sunday, the phone's time is still 6 on Saturday! Am I correct in assuming that the reason it is so far off is that this phone is not activated and so it never connects to the phone network?

The main question I have is when and how is the time on the phone synchronized with the actual time? And what operations or programs will force the time on the phone to be synchronized? It seems like I should be able to create a Tasker task to do whatever is needed.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair