[ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.3][OS2SD/internal]OV-KitKat (JBC based)

I keep running into problems installing because there's not enough room. There has to be enough room to install before link2sd can move it to the sdcard. I guess I'll go to twrp os2sd recovery and os2sd rom version and see how that works.

I'm a little confused about the cache partition.

advise 2Gb VFAT, 1Gb EXT4, 512Mb EXT4, 1Mb EXT4 in that order. Those become /sdcard, /data, /system, and /cache//edit: /cache is back on MTD and I will probably move /system over there once I stabilize a way to mount two MTD partitions together without aufs.​

So we should no longer do /cache? And does twrp mount the partitions automatically, or do we manually mount them whenever we run the recovery?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

I keep running into problems installing because there's not enough room. There has to be enough room to install before link2sd can move it to the sdcard. I guess I'll go to twrp os2sd recovery and os2sd rom version and see how that works.

I'm a little confused about the cache partition.

advise 2Gb VFAT, 1Gb EXT4, 512Mb EXT4, 1Mb EXT4 in that order. Those become /sdcard, /data, /system, and /cache//edit: /cache is back on MTD and I will probably move /system over there once I stabilize a way to mount two MTD partitions together without aufs.​

So we should no longer do /cache? And does twrp mount the partitions automatically, or do we manually mount them whenever we run the recovery?
no need for the ext cache, it uses internal now. but twrp wants a size for it, hadn't tried zero.
you have to manually mount the os2sd partitions in twrp for gapps and other zips.

for now, the skinny gapps are working ok with 4.4.3, and I haven't gotten the proper ones working yet.

as far as the confusion, I need like two days to update all my OPs, they're long and confusing and much of them is out of date and needs archived. Sorry.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

got the 4.4.3 skinny gapps working. And uploaded.
Nasty procedure though. I'll have to add it to the OP when I'm not working :)
Have to manually strip the 6/8 internal release or use the 6/9 that's uploading now. Again, it may not fit an OptS, I dont remember the difference in system size, but there's not much extra room.

Flash rom and 4.4.2 skinny gapps. Reboot, log in, let google play services update. Reboot to recovery.
Wipe system, reflash rom, flash 4.4.3 skinny gapps. Do NOT wipe dalvik-cache. Reboot, all seems good.
Same thing should work for OS2SD and bigger gapps packages. Start with old skinny gapps sd version, log in and let it settle down. Reboot to recovery, and flash the bigger gapps package (it'll delete the old ones itself if you have the real pa_gapps and not stripped variants.) Leave the dalvik-cache, it'll rebuild itself for the new gapps

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Big G probably sees it as a no no, but I think for simplicity I'm going to update gapps in a build and extract the play services etc as a flashable gapps-core, since this process is so wanky.
One big advantage to this method would be that most gapps can be installed as user apps, so only the core services have to be in system, like the sync adapters (tiny, fit easy,) phonesky (play) and play services.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Following AndyOpie150's instructions I get an error when trying to format sd-ext. Says "Error formatting /sd-ext!"

I'm using a PQI 8GB Class 10 microsd card.

I reflashed over to TWRP and formatted the microsd card that way. Reflashed back to philz and then installed bigsupersquid's newest release (6/08) and it says install completed. Reboot and just a blank screen. :(

BTW, bigsupersquid your gapps folder appears to be empty.
When you reformat to allow for the external ROM you can't go back to the internal without deleting all the partitions on the SD card and then making one ext.4 partition of 1-1.5GB. You can however install a Froyo ROM (Harmonia, Harmonius Bumblebee, or the Resurrected Bumblebee) with a regular zipped version of a CWMod recovery, which your not using an ext partition script with, and have it boot up with no problem.

While I was testing the external build I had set up the Stock ROM without an ext partition script like Link2SD (just moved apps to SD card with App Manager). I used the zipped version of Xionia so I could flash it like a ROM in TechVendettas' recovery and restore the stock ROMs backup. This way I always had a good ROM to fall back on without having to repartition the SD card.
One of the keys is having the recovery's in there zipped form so I could just flash from one to the other without having to use shell commands from a terminal.
I have the Xionia, The CWMod touchscreen, philz, and Techvendetta's all in there zipped form.

You can only use no more than 20% of the actual free space on an SD card for the partition/partitions. This means you need at least an 8GB SD card with a 16GB being ideal.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

I never had issues with a four partition card and other roms.
Mirage, harmonia both run fine. Your ext-data partition becomes sd-ext and the roms don't seem to care about the copy of /data since the sd-ext stuff doesn't use the same directory structure.

Andy has the right idea with the various recovery zips.
I do the same, swap recoveries for what I need at the time. Just remember to make backups in each if you have space cause twrp and cwm don't talk with each other.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

bump
today's versions uploaded. CMaccount and CMupdater removed, small space optimizations like removing aosp keyboard from internal build.

and zero clock lag yet. but I've had multiple installs so it's really only run overnight, and for a few hours at a time. Often an overnight caused the clock freeze, so that's actually a good sign.

Last edited:

Melvin Jefferson

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

Not sure if the 4.4.3 gapps will fit even if skinny on an Opt S. Got it down to a lame 23.1Mb with all the stuff it needs to barely connect to Play and such. Can cram it onto a V (with no leftover room) after trimming the rom.
May have to incorporate Toucan's ext scripting but not sure yet.

ugh. the new gapps don't trim very nicely. run fine on os2sd... keep on digging.

for now, the old skinny gapps are working ok on internal.

For some reason it wont let me d/l any apps from the play store.. Keeps Force Closing

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

I never had issues with a four partition card and other roms.
Mirage, harmonia both run fine. Your ext-data partition becomes sd-ext and the roms don't seem to care about the copy of /data since the sd-ext stuff doesn't use the same directory structure.
I've never been able to restore a backup of any ROM that I used an SD ext. script with, once I partitioned the SD card with TechVendettas' recovery. Just figured it was something to do with the way it partitioned it.

Andy has the right idea with the various recovery zips.
I do the same, swap recoveries for what I need at the time. Just remember to make backups in each if you have space cause twrp and cwm don't talk with each other.
That's what I was trying to say. Lol
I made the backup of the stock ROM with the Xionia. If I needed to restore it, I would just flash the Xionia.zip in TechVendetta's recovery, then restore the backup of the stock ROM.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

I've never been able to restore a backup of any ROM that I used an SD ext. script with, once I partitioned the SD card with TechVendettas' recovery. Just figured it was something to do with the way it partitioned it.
Ah. I have never used sd-ext scripts so that would explain why I've had no problems that way.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

For some reason it wont let me d/l any apps from the play store.. Keeps Force Closing
Did you let it update play services? Without that it won't do diddly.
Tonight I'll try to finish patching up a simpler base-gapps zip specifically for thunderc 4.4.3

Melvin Jefferson

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

I let it sync contacts, browser & calendar and there was nothing left to sync. So then I rebooted and tried to use it and it wouldnt do diddly

Cool I'll keep trying until you come up with that gapps

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Here's a fun twist.
Found
[COMMIT] [AOSP] JustArchi's ArchiDroid Optimizations - Increases performance up to 6x
Tried it out. The -O3 optimizations work.
the Linaro gcc 4.8 toolchain keeps the kernel from booting, but everything else runs.
:) feels pretty slick. (google gcc 4.7 toolchain is default and what was being used before.)
Gonna try to get the kernel to build with the linaro toolchain before releasing for tests.
Go thank JustArchi in his xda thread if you're happy about this idea.

clwilliams6

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

bump
today's versions uploaded. CMaccount and CMupdater removed, small space optimizations like removing aosp keyboard from internal build.
and zero clock lag yet. but I've had multiple installs so it's really only run overnight, and for a few hours at a time. Often an overnight caused the clock freeze, so that's actually a good sign.
Thank you thank you - Well I've had this setup (4.4.3 OS2SD) + your skinny 4.4.3 GApps going now all day and have been loading as much stuff as I like on it - I haven't seen any issues as of yet! A big caveat however, is that so far I've only been on Wi-Fi. But I'm not anticipating any issues with the phone though as the mobile network signal comes in strong, and I am pretty sure it works because I can get the "please call your service rep for activation" msg. But I haven't actually called anyone or sent an SMS yet. Reason being, I'm using a spare VM670, one that doesn't have the phone activation any longer - (I was impelled to get another VM670 recently (ZV5) 'cause my wife was worried that while I was "playing around" with my phone, I was unreachable in case of emergency - and I had to agree.) So I put the 2.3.7 Mirage ROM on the new phone, and moved back to the "playing around". And I'm seeing a stability here that might let me move the phone activation back over to my orig ZV4. Somehow there's a terrific satisfaction to being as current as my wife's recently updated Nexus tablet. I've tried network and Internet printing, the cloud drives, Remote Desktop, TiBackup, Root uninstaller, Expedia, gallery, various music apps, it all works so far. Ah, well, except for the energy drain - "Like a kid with chocolate milk and a krazy straw " as you call it. Well, it ain't that bad if you just throw it into airplane mode at night - and keep an eye on other things that are the usual suspects like background sync etc. You can easily get a day's use of it being a phone and an occasional browser. Of course, now I must try ART. Thanks again for sharing!

Wow - just saw the post above about the ArchiDroid optimization... I very much understand your tag line BTW - it usually doesn't go over too well when I hole up in front of the PC all night =)

SimplePurple

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site

Just thought I mention this, ICS roms for the v have the best wifi-battery setup, I can stay connected for like 5 days with minimal use, but with the wifi connected or on. I think it was way better than gingerbread. That's why I think ICS roms are most stable. Only thing that all ics roms have in common is clock lag, yet the system clock and alarm is on par.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Just thought I mention this, ICS roms for the v have the best wifi-battery setup, I can stay connected for like 5 days with minimal use, but with the wifi connected or on. I think it was way better than gingerbread. That's why I think ICS roms are most stable. Only thing that all ics roms have in common is clock lag, yet the system clock and alarm is on par.
I'll look at the quattrimus kernel again and check the wfif driver but I think the kernel source I used is related to that. Thanks for info.

@clwilliams: thanks for testing everything out, I can't even test some of that stuff! I totally get the joy of latest and greatest on obsolete hardware.

Melvin Jefferson

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: [ROM+KERNEL][CM-11.0][4.4.2]KitKat for Optimus V

Download link here. Shared folder.

cm-11-20140609-internal-thunderc-md5-ae192e68806f91561ba6a049eb120a1a.zip

archive folder here if you want older builds for some reason.

New, stripped, skinny, pa_gapps micro here, but you have to flash the old 4.4.2 skinny gapps first, reboot, sign in and update google play services, reboot to recovery, wipe system, reflash the rom, flash the new skinny gapps, and reboot. Do NOT wipe /data or dalvik-cache except for the first flash of the ROM.

Very helpful post lol. I will report on this soon.

NO CLOCK LAG!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!! lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37