[ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

BradN2

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I think there's bigger fish to fry than TCP congestion control... for instance, autoactivate swap :) Okay that should be a one-line fish somewhere, but what about getting freedreno running? That should have some decent benefits if it works. Although it's not clear to me if it's yet usable on this...

There might be wifi & usb tethering problems too, at least I had problems last time I tried it on here.

Last edited:

lgrootnoob

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Swap is detrimental to the sdcard. (it will cause it to fail prematurely)
Android's memory management wasnt designed for swap resulting in "Swap makes memory access much slower."
We already have a decent amount of ram available. on my personally tweaked build i have 150 mb free ram with no task killers or anything out of the ordinary. Just lots of removed clunk and disabled intents with a ton of tweaks in the settings.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I think there's bigger fish to fry than TCP congestion control... for instance, autoactivate swap :) Okay that should be a one-line fish somewhere, but what about getting freedreno running? That should have some decent benefits if it works. Although it's not clear to me if it's yet usable on this...

There might be wifi & usb tethering problems too, at least I had problems last time I tried it on here.
turn on sd swap in settings>performance>memory management and it should be automatic after that.
I've seen no WiFi or tether problems and there were even reports of usb tether and Bluetooth tether working.

@lgrootnoob
lz4 interesting, the fsync is implemented on an evo 3d kernel and might be portable.
the over clock reboots vary by each chips' production quality. some are fine at 864 and some reboot at anything over 600.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
news. twrp is officially 2.8
so im not sure if there are bug fixes between your prerelease twrp or what. but you know to check it out now...
yeah, there's a whole handful of commits since the 3rd when I last updated. I don't change the rev number, though, it just gets downloaded with the rest of the source code.

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Got the f2fs running. Wow...
1. The CM11 logo comes swirling fast immediately. An odd touch considering on os2sd and internal builds it started slow then sped up. On the flip side, it takes a bit longer to load.
2. The lockscreen clock is still funky...
3. Trebuchet doesn't play nicely at all. Setting apps on the home screens is a hassle for me, and setting widgets is nearly impossible as a lot of'em make it crash.
4. Seems it doesn't like reboots, either: after installing some apps, the first reboot actually removed many of'em - no idea how that happened - including TB and Holo Launcher HD...putting me back on Trebuchet. A second reboot seems to have corrected most of the madness...except now there's a lot of App Not Responding/Process Not Responding crap.
5. Maybe it's just me, but even with my Optimus S overclocked to 768 or 789, this version runs pretty slow most of the time.

lgrootnoob

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I honestly dont know what you are talking about. maybe i could make a backup of mine and let you restore it just so you can see how fast it is if youve tweaked it right.

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I honestly dont know what you are talking about. maybe i could make a backup of mine and let you restore it just so you can see how fast it is if youve tweaked it right.

...and exactly what settings are you using, anyway? Even then, you have to remember that among the Optimus Vs & Optimus Ss, not every device was created equally...so what could be smooth as silk on one device could be an absolute ghastly nightmare on another. Now, back when CM9 was around, I would ramp my device up to a full 864. No real problems other than battery drain. CM10 is where things began getting funky *for me*. CM10.1 almost never worked (sucks because I *like* the digital clock widget and the lock screen's clock widget (aka "cLock") that are in JB 4.2 and up) for me, and CM10.2 wouldn't even install, so I never bothered with those. CM11 hasn't been a cakewalk for me at all, but I've been toughing it out.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
...and exactly what settings are you using, anyway? Even then, you have to remember that among the Optimus Vs & Optimus Ss, not every device was created equally...so what could be smooth as silk on one device could be an absolute ghastly nightmare on another. Now, back when CM9 was around, I would ramp my device up to a full 864. No real problems other than battery drain. CM10 is where things began getting funky *for me*. CM10.1 almost never worked (sucks because I *like* the digital clock widget and the lock screen's clock widget (aka "cLock") that are in JB 4.2 and up) for me, and CM10.2 wouldn't even install, so I never bothered with those. CM11 hasn't been a cakewalk for me at all, but I've been toughing it out.

when you're getting crashes you should pastebin.com me a logcat and post the link here so i can give you some more of an idea what's going on.

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.2]OV-KitKat (JBC based)

Fun thing to try:

This hasn't crashed noticeably on me and seems to speed things up.
Enough testers without obvious negative results and I'll incorporate it into the base ROM.
Maybe with a backend for the functional, included automagically, CrossBreeder in it.
Takes maybe 3MB of /system.

★ [MOD] ◢ PurePerformances™X ◣ | Siri Edition | Scary performances on your Ace

It does stuff before the bootanimation so don't freak about the extended black screen booting up.

Update... After installing this [MOD] my phone has never run any better. I'm runnin this on the MiRaGe rom with the Fly_On tweak, phone boots superfast, 3g connects instantly and pages load faster, apps load faster, ram is much better, got rid of Adfree app because of the built in adblocker, phone is buttery smooth and lag free.

Thanks again bigsupersquid for sharing this! ;)

I think you guys runnin squid's rom should give this a try, if it doesn't help your phone, just uninstall with the uninstaller.zip.

After first installing this, phone was a little buggy, but after a few reboots and a couple days, this phone is amazing! :)

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site

Hmmm...perhaps I'll try this myself. Also, I may still just redo everything yet again - I think I'll have to use MiniTool to redo the partitions used for /system (currently 2GB) and /data (currently 1.33GB, that's the device storage, right?) so that between the two, there's less in system (which is at an enormous 421MB even with stuff already removed, so I may cut it to about 500MB) and the rest is on data.

Oh yeah...about that "extended black screen booting up"...funny, I didn't have that happen. After flashing the ROM, the Gapps, the Sprint fix, and then Pure Performances, I hit reboot system, glanced away to start this, glanced back, and boom...CM11 logo flying like it has been...just taking forever to load, lol. (That's okay...it's about to eat ANOTHER reboot once I get Fly-On going...) Hopefully this speeds things up for my old Optimus S...yesss. (I say hopefully, because awhile back, it was said that tweaks like Amphetamines and other goodies for the Optimus V would work on the S as well...except they didn't do jack on *my* S...)

Last edited:

Just Blank

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

just flashed my device with the latest, cm-11-20140906-EXPERIMENTAL-f2fs_os2sd_bigsuperROM-thunderc, build and its working good. but it is running a little hotter than my old cm7 build i had on it previously. any tips to make it run cooler.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

just flashed my device with the latest, cm-11-20140906-EXPERIMENTAL-f2fs_os2sd_bigsuperROM-thunderc, build and its working good. but it is running a little hotter than my old cm7 build i had on it previously. any tips to make it run cooler.
turn down overclock, turn off wifi and 3g when not in use.
if it's in airplane mode it'll run cool and for a long time, but with the radios on (especially syncing or otherwise moving data) it'll warm up and drain the battery.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Hmmm...perhaps I'll try this myself. Also, I may still just redo everything yet again - I think I'll have to use MiniTool to redo the partitions used for /system (currently 2GB) and /data (currently 1.33GB, that's the device storage, right?) so that between the two, there's less in system (which is at an enormous 421MB even with stuff already removed, so I may cut it to about 500MB) and the rest is on data.

Oh yeah...about that "extended black screen booting up"...funny, I didn't have that happen. After flashing the ROM, the Gapps, the Sprint fix, and then Pure Performances, I hit reboot system, glanced away to start this, glanced back, and boom...CM11 logo flying like it has been...just taking forever to load, lol. (That's okay...it's about to eat ANOTHER reboot once I get Fly-On going...) Hopefully this speeds things up for my old Optimus S...yesss. (I say hopefully, because awhile back, it was said that tweaks like Amphetamines and other goodies for the Optimus V would work on the S as well...except they didn't do jack on *my* S...)
andyopie said aparted app works, so you can resize the sdcard partition with that probably and avoid minitool. then twrp will finish it up after that.

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Minitool worked just fine. Seems I have to cave in and get rid of a few more apps (this time, it was FIVE APPS SHORT of having reinstalled everything), and one app in particular (Sexy Ringtones) simply wouldn't install at all anymore (never had problems with it before).

Pure Performances, however, does nothing - I keep getting a message saying to mount system & data from CWM. So how that's gonna work is beyond me - I don't think I can switch to CWM, flash Pure Performances, flash back to TWRP, and reboot system. Don't think that'd work.

Ugh!! Spoke too soon: after having to do a battery pull (blue screen of "I won't wake up"), things got real stupid real fast: lost about 20 apps for no reason, and my 3GB data partition somehow got cut down to 2.84GB. (That 501MB system partition is perfectly fine...) Device storage according to TB is a good 531MB remaining (but it incorrectly shows system as being 525MB when it's only 501); I can't check through the Storage option in Settings because it makes Settings crash. And despite having over 500 megs of device storage, nothing will install.

Oh...one of my apps that was lost? The app aLogcat.

Last edited:

lgrootnoob

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Minitool worked just fine. Seems I have to cave in and get rid of a few more apps (this time, it was FIVE APPS SHORT of having reinstalled everything), and one app in particular (Sexy Ringtones) simply wouldn't install at all anymore (never had problems with it before).

Pure Performances, however, does nothing - I keep getting a message saying to mount system & data from CWM. So how that's gonna work is beyond me - I don't think I can switch to CWM, flash Pure Performances, flash back to TWRP, and reboot system. Don't think that'd work.

Ugh!! Spoke too soon: after having to do a battery pull (blue screen of "I won't wake up"), things got real stupid real fast: lost about 20 apps for no reason, and my 3GB data partition somehow got cut down to 2.84GB. (That 501MB system partition is perfectly fine...) Device storage according to TB is a good 531MB remaining (but it incorrectly shows system as being 525MB when it's only 501); I can't check through the Storage option in Settings because it makes Settings crash. And despite having over 500 megs of device storage, nothing will install.

Oh...one of my apps that was lost? The app aLogcat.

either your sdcard sucks or minitool is ruining the filesystems.
also, did you move the minimum frequency down too low so it wasnt able to wake up from sleep?
why do you need an app to capture a logcat. its much easier over adb.
adb logcat > logcat.txt
notepad logcat.txt
copy and paste to pastebin.com
profit
it probably isnt that hard to modify the pureperformances updaterscript to work with our twrp.
also, are you running the latest twrp that bigsupersquid had made?
have you set it to use external in the twrp settings?
also, you can do an fsck.f2fs on the offending partitions to see if they are ruined.

lgrootnoob

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

andyopie said aparted app works, so you can resize the sdcard partition with that probably and avoid minitool. then twrp will finish it up after that.

I know your _really_ busy. Buuuut, you seem quite knowledgeable with lg's stuff.
Im currently building a device tree for the lucid 2. And i need some help with some build errors using cm's latest toolchain.
If you dont care then just tell me. But otherwise, here is the thread http://androidforums.com/lucid-2-al...1v-vs870-wip-port-log-thread.html#post6717999
Thank you!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

I know your _really_ busy. Buuuut, you seem quite knowledgeable with lg's stuff.
Im currently building a device tree for the lucid 2. And i need some help with some build errors using cm's latest toolchain.
If you dont care then just tell me. But otherwise, here is the thread http://androidforums.com/lucid-2-al...1v-vs870-wip-port-log-thread.html#post6717999
Thank you!
usually for build errors i just Google the error (replacing personal parts of the PATH with a *)
otherwise I'm still learning as i go along.
kernel errors can be fun to figure out.
i did learn to check the config carefully because having certain options set makes it try to build parts that may not be ported to your device or otherwise unbuildable/broken.