[ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I started usimg RAM Booster from Xposed Installer, but I guess it wasnt really doing much. I forgot about fast reboot. I'll try it out again and see how well it works out with my usage.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I started usimg RAM Booster from Xposed Installer, but I guess it wasnt really doing much. I forgot about fast reboot. I'll try it out again and see how well it works out with my usage.

that post I linked to a couple back has a fix of sorts.
again:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...superrom-thunderc-4-4-4-a-50.html#post3929137
dalvik props, oom settings, minfree settings to mostly match v6 supercharger.
it holds my ram 35-45% with no apps open. ram over 75%, oomkiller actually starts working, see it in logcat.

like I said, not perfect, but helps a little. flash over last f2fs rom in recovery at any time. any other rom version, the build.prop in zip will bork it up. you can use it with older f2fs version if you pull build.prop and just manually copy dalvik props over to the build.prop in that rom.
remember chmod 644 after any manual kitkat build.prop changes to avoid bootloop. the zip does it automagically.

I believe that some MB of that used ram is gobbled persistently, immediately by system at boot, as loop-device ramdisks.

and fast reboot, has been great since ics. in jb, I pretty much had to have it to avoid major lags.
gotta run it whenever you notice issues, though.

on the same note, long-press the home button and either swipe away background apps (or press the 3-bar button in the upper right corner to clear them all.) I see the ram usage immediately go down by nearly as much as fast reboot gives.
fast reboot, however, restarts hidden apps like gms services and such, so can do a better job... or make your device crash if it's OC'd too high for its britches.

Last edited:

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I flashed that zip, and I will report back in a couple days of use.
I also assigned fast reboot to a pie control through GravityBox from Xposed installer for convenience.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Google really has it in for low-storage devices.
[APP] [SHARE] Google Play Services 6.1.71 | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

the latest is a whopping 32MB for the armeabi version. Not even caught up to the 160 dpi armeabi version yet! be bigger.

there is just no way that internal installs will be able to keep up with gapps. huge even to sideload.
even with link2 stuff, you need a tolerable card or you'll get slowdown linking gapps.

on the bright side, the newer gmscore uses less RAM. like, 10% less. Yay!

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Thats one of the reasons why i dropped the internal build for the os2sd. It began to look like the end of the road for it the way gapps was going.

I'm running off a 32GB class 10 UHS-1 Samsung microSD card that i picked up for ~$26 at wally world. I had to make a choice between this and a sandisk card of the same class and UHS boost. Only a 1 dollar difference, so i went for the samsung which had slightly faster read speeds (48mb/s vs 42mb/s).

omgitsMATT

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I gave my phone away to a 14 year old sister who still lives at home and I think she either dropped it or got it wet, but just in case it's software related does this sound familar to anyone?

When the phone turns on it shows the LG screen, then powers off immediately. Then powers on, then off, then on. Always showing the LG logo when powering on for only a moment. It won't even charge.

Is it perhaps the ''Art'' that was enabled and talked about in the original post, or is it that she dropped it or got it wet or both?

Edit,

I can't even boot into the recovery. I'm going to Google how to unbrick a hard bricked phone like this, hopefully some older threads will come up. I might get to learn something while I'm at it

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like 1 of 2 things:

1: sounds like the charger cable or the phone port may be damaged. Try either wrapping the wrapping over the screen of the phone, or pushing slightly, in any direction, till it boots further, and wrap the cord around the phone in that direction. You can also try other chargers.

2: it might be water damage to the battery. There is a water damage indicating sticker near the metal connectors on the battery(if it's pink/red there's water damage). You can try purchasing a spare battery from amazon, and see if it fully boots. There are some inexpensive batteries that you can find there.

If neither of those work, then the phone may be damaged beyond repair.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I gave my phone away to a 14 year old sister who still lives at home and I think she either dropped it or got it wet, but just in case it's software related does this sound familar to anyone?

When the phone turns on it shows the LG screen, then powers off immediately. Then powers on, then off, then on. Always showing the LG logo when powering on for only a moment. It won't even charge.

Is it perhaps the ''Art'' that was enabled and talked about in the original post, or is it that she dropped it or got it wet or both?

Edit,

I can't even boot into the recovery. I'm going to Google how to unbrick a hard bricked phone like this, hopefully some older threads will come up. I might get to learn something while I'm at it

lg logo good. means not bricked.

battery too low to boot.
unless you have another way to charge it you'll have to be tricky.

plug it in.
hold recovery keys as it reboots.
don't let go until recovery starts.

that trick should work even if the battery is so fried out it won't hold a charge, or even if it's flat dead and won't even power on. As long as the battery is present it should boot to recovery this way.

let it charge in recovery to at least 15%.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I have adblocking working with CrossBreeder!
turns out dnsproxy2 was only built for armv7 all the sources I could find (not many, either.)
I fixed sources (at least enough to build and run, not sure how perfect that really was)
Now I have kitkat CrossBreeder adblocking with blank pixels instead of ads. It's beautiful.
I will share soon.
Plus I tweaked fivefour's CrossBreeder app to handle three more switches. It fixes the usb tethering, too. If it was broken?

CrossBreeder with armv6 dnsproxy2 here.
the app is here. install CB first. then the app.
click the switches instead of swiping them or it won't change the settings.

oh, and don't bother trying to install CB on internal unless you aren't using gapps or it won't all fit, then it'll cause a bunch of glitch-ues.

//edit edit
after running this for about a day, I highly recommend giving it a try on os2sd.
the browser improvements alone make it worthwhile. the adblock affects apps as well as the browser.
my ui isn't lagging anymore either.
ram usage doesn't seem affected.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I thought the CB tetherboost fixed the usb tethering but it was a recent repo sync that did that instead.

I really need to get y'all a new set of builds up.
The amount of rampaging I had to do on /system/app to make the internal fit, though, I'm afraid it's going to be the last internal build until I integrate enough multirom to fallback to the internal partitions when the card isn't right. Making something that can't even support all the hardware in the phone bugs me.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Did you look into UPX'ing at all?
well, it's not already android native, and I can't really justify porting something into the system just to maintain an older format I don't even use myself...
It does look interesting, but there's a kitkat/ (L? if aav6 ever touches up ART the rest of the way) issue:
from the docs
In SELinux "strict enforcing" mode (the most restrictive), generating
new instructions at runtime is not allowed at all: any page with
PROT_EXEC permission must be mapped from a file in a mounted filesystem
that has 'x' [eXecute] permission, and the generation of such files is
also tightly controlled. A program that was compressed by UPX will not
run in SELinux strict enforcing mode. Attempts will fail with exit
code 127, and a record will be added to the history file
/var/log/audit/audit.log.

In "targeted enforcing" mode, SELinux pays close attention mostly to
designated processes that run with elevated privileges: web server,
print server, login server, etc. Ordinary user executables receive
much less scrutiny. However, one of the eventual goals of SELinux is to
eradicate runtime generation of instructions because of the possibility
for exploitation by malware (virus, trojan, key logger, privilege
elevation exploit, etc.) Thus targeted enforcing mode notices and
logs the use of "execmem" capability that is used by a program which
was compressed by UPX. In keeping with the goal of eventual prohibition,
SELinux ordinarily would deny execmem. However, most current SELinux
systems, including Fedora Core 5 [set for release March 15, 2006],
override this with "allow_exemem=1" in /etc/selinux/targeted/booleans.
Thus a program compressed by UPX will run in the default installed
configuration (targeted enforcing, allow_execmem=1) of SELinux under
Fedora Core 5. Each invocation will add a few lines to the log file
/var/log/audit/audit.log, one line for each use of execmem. If the
SELinux policy becomes more restrictive in the future, then a special
SELinux class or other mechanism must be created for compressed programs,
or else UPX-compressed executables will not run then.

In its "permissive" modes, SELinux just logs the potential problems,
but otherwise does not interfere. A program compressed by UPX will run
in any permissive mode.
I lost permissive mode a while ago... it starts that way but the system takes over and turns it enforcing, even with the kernel config set to non-enforcing.

BradN2

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
For UPX you just run an x86 upx binary to compress the ARM ones (any upx binary can compress any supported architecture). It doesn't need to be part of the toolchain or anything, but I'd imagine you'd want to write a script to apply it to selected binaries or such.

Note that if you build upx from source, you'll be missing the more advanced proprietary compression format.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
For UPX you just run an x86 upx binary to compress the ARM ones (any upx binary can compress any supported architecture). It doesn't need to be part of the toolchain or anything, but I'd imagine you'd want to write a script to apply it to selected binaries or such.

Note that if you build upx from source, you'll be missing the more advanced proprietary compression format.
but for the arm binary it produces to be able to execute (because of the transfer of control to either new code or a file) you have to ignore selinux throwing a hissy fit.
I'd need to figure out how to get back to permissive selinux mode to do that. After that, it might well be worth a pass. Not everything big is executable, though, the libs and apks take up a lot of the space.
it's only about 8MB for xbin and bin together.... the emoji fonts (not in the new internal build by default) take up 5MB by comparison.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.2]OV-KitKat (JBC based)

new internal build!

maybe last, until I get multirom in it and you can just pull the sdcard or flip a settings switch to go internal. But it's tiiiiiinyyyyy

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering if maybe this means my battery is going bad, but...there are times whenever I have to do a reboot of any kind (which amounts to TWO reboots, since once it completes the "Android is Upgrading: Optimizing app (x) of (x)" and goes to "Starting apps", it reboots on its own) that this thing has a bad habit of often eating up a lot of juice. Sometimes it doesn't, but more often than not, I'm either left with at least 50-60% battery (from 90-100%) or as it has lately, I'm left with a battery that's completely dead (from 90-100% to *nothing*, and the phone will not turn on) until it's plugged in...where after the double boot, it's magically at around 55-70%. What gives?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo