[ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if maybe this means my battery is going bad, but...there are times whenever I have to do a reboot of any kind (which amounts to TWO reboots, since once it completes the "Android is Upgrading: Optimizing app (x) of (x)" and goes to "Starting apps", it reboots on its own) that this thing has a bad habit of often eating up a lot of juice. Sometimes it doesn't, but more often than not, I'm either left with at least 50-60% battery (from 90-100%) or as it has lately, I'm left with a battery that's completely dead (from 90-100% to *nothing*, and the phone will not turn on) until it's plugged in...where after the double boot, it's magically at around 55-70%. What gives?
couple things.
if your battery is that different after a reboot I'd say it may well need replaced.
My older ones usually read higher after a reboot but sometimes lower.

The battery code is the weakest part of the kernel port.

Also, that 'upgrading' thing is your dalvik-cache being rebuilt. You have a script or something wiping it out before boot. Or there's a problem mounting the /data partition or something.

clwilliams6

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Appreciate the sharing! It's fun squeezing every last drop out of the V. Speaking of roomservice.xml, I'm tagging along with the rom building over on github, and am looking for the version.sh referenced. Would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction? Look like the build compiles the internal if I don't have a version specified, and I'd like to use the f2fs. Thanks!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Appreciate the sharing! It's fun squeezing every last drop out of the V. Speaking of roomservice.xml, I'm tagging along with the rom building over on github, and am looking for the version.sh referenced. Would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction? Look like the build compiles the internal if I don't have a version specified, and I'd like to use the f2fs. Thanks!
heh. I'll have to clean up the github, android_build got corrupted (it has the version.sh in it last time i used it.)

You can manually copy files around but I've not updated anything but the core files, making little interior changes, in quite a while.

I wasn't aware anyone was using the source... Since you actually are, I'll get stuff cleaned up for you today/tonight.
No guarantees on twrp building correctly without tweaking... but at least the system should do internal or external build again with the script after cleanup.

Every last drop! yep. Waiting to see the L source drop and find out if androidarmv6 is going to tweak at it...

clwilliams6

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Lol - yeah, debated bothering you at all about it, but then thought the same thing - he's prob'ly not aware anyone's even looking at it - so that tipped the scale - yeah this is a blast - (although my wife isn't nearly as amused as I am with all this phone stuff heh). Thank you sir -

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Lol - yeah, debated bothering you at all about it, but then thought the same thing - he's prob'ly not aware anyone's even looking at it - so that tipped the scale - yeah this is a blast - (although my wife isn't nearly as amused as I am with all this phone stuff heh). Thank you sir -
the wives never seem to be amused, I dunno why... it's cheaper than drinking and a lot less likely to get you involved with women of ill repute than out-of-the-house hobbies.

I can't say why it's so enjoyable, there's some indefinable satisfaction in using something you 'made yourself' even if it's just with borrowed source code (most of the source code is borrowed from androidarmv6 or cm or aosp...)

anyway... updated repo, testing a build now.
still no version.sh, pared down the device folder too, but it's all set for f2fs right now... if it works right on the first try, that is.

//edit: yep, it's starting up OK. I've read that user instead of userdebug builds run a little faster in justArchi's thread... but you lose root unless you include the right commits for su.

Last edited:

clwilliams6

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I agree - hard to explain or instill that sense of satisfaction if you don't already got it =)
Time to sync! Thanks again

//edit: yes, indeed, you ARE the man :cool: Thank you Mr. Squid for keeping this project going!
Package Complete: /home/clw6/android/system/out/target/product/thunderc/cm-11-20141017-EXPERIMENTAL-f2fs_os2sd_bigsuperROM-thunderc.zip

real 32m0.923s
user 86m33.321s
sys 9m37.005s

She boots no prob - Now to see how annoyed I can make the OV by stuffing it with apps...

Last edited:

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
couple things.
if your battery is that different after a reboot I'd say it may well need replaced.
My older ones usually read higher after a reboot but sometimes lower.

The battery code is the weakest part of the kernel port.

Also, that 'upgrading' thing is your dalvik-cache being rebuilt. You have a script or something wiping it out before boot. Or there's a problem mounting the /data partition or something.

Hmmm...that sucks. Guess I'll need to replace the battery, then.

I still can't understand why it has to go through the boot process twice, though.

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey there. I'm trying to install the latest internal gapps, using the latest TWRP multi from bigsupersquid, on an OV. I'm making sure to switch TWRP to internal mode each time. I've successfully flashed the lastest internal ROM (had problems with my SD card running OS2SD). When attempting to flash skinny gapps internal, TWRP gives me the following error: "E:Error executing updater binary in zip [path here]". I've double-checked it to make sure it's got the same updater binary that skinny_gapps_new has (and same as the updater binary in the internal ROM zip as well). MD5 matches, so that's not the issue either. Does anybody know the current trick for getting skinny gapps flashed onto internal? Thanks so much!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey there. I'm trying to install the latest internal gapps, using the latest TWRP multi from bigsupersquid, on an OV. I'm making sure to switch TWRP to internal mode each time. I've successfully flashed the lastest internal ROM (had problems with my SD card running OS2SD). When attempting to flash skinny gapps internal, TWRP gives me the following error: "E:Error executing updater binary in zip [path here]". I've double-checked it to make sure it's got the same updater binary that skinny_gapps_new has (and same as the updater binary in the internal ROM zip as well). MD5 matches, so that's not the issue either. Does anybody know the current trick for getting skinny gapps flashed onto internal? Thanks so much!
I'm sorry... Don't know why no-one had mentioned the error yet. I tested it and it wouldn't flash, had to change several things in it.
With an OV, you can use the Skinny_4.4_Gapps_new.zip on either internal or external but the _internal version leaves more space in /system (meant for OS's even tinier partition sizes)
I updated the _internal to _new_internal and reuploaded.
Thanks for the bug report.

If you use the _internal version, it's small because the gms core services is out-of date and about 1/3 the size of the current one. It works because it acts as a placeholder for the app giving it all the permissions it needs when sideloaded to /data, which it will slowly do through your data connection as soon as you try to use it.

To avoid the slow gms update which will make all other downloads hang until it's finished,
Install this one from xda, it's current. It'll eat tons of space in /data but you need it to run current gapps and certain other software.
[APP] [SHARE] Google Play Services 6.1.74 | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums
I like to push the 'thanks' button, people enjoy the props and it builds up reputation.
use the -010 - armeabi CPU version. others will force-close.
if it offers a -012 armeabi version, that one's even better, but it's not rolled out yet as of this posting.

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry... Don't know why no-one had mentioned the error yet.

Guess that may mean people are really just using OS2SD. I tried it out for about a week, but I think my SanDisk card is just on the edge of being too slow (only clocked in about 0.6MB/s on a 4K random write test).

Thanks so much for the quick reply, bigsupersquid! I'll give it a go. Think I may need to flash an original TWRP temporarily to reformat my internal partitions... TWRP_multi seems to be having trouble consistently flashing/mounting /data and /system, at least on my particular handset. Making for a fun weekend project!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Guess that may mean people are really just using OS2SD. I tried it out for about a week, but I think my SanDisk card is just on the edge of being too slow (only clocked in about 0.6MB/s on a 4K random write test).

Thanks so much for the quick reply, bigsupersquid! I'll give it a go. Think I may need to flash an original TWRP temporarily to reformat my internal partitions... TWRP_multi seems to be having trouble consistently flashing/mounting /data and /system, at least on my particular handset. Making for a fun weekend project!
make sure to use the latest (10/14) version of internal, the previous had an updater-script glitch which didn't flash the boot partition.
I'll work on twrp. Got ideas to simplify it.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
just verified something interesting about the clock lag.
noticed once a message arrived timestamped 5 min in the future. four more came in with the correct time, and were listed before the glitchy one.
just now, turned on the screen, lockscreen clock and statusbar clock 7:34 but kernel time one min less as shown with seconds counter on device info live wallpaper.
so system time isn't directly related to kernel time but is probably set from network from what I've read.
even with the use network unchecked in time/date settings I've seen lag before.

guess it might be possible to force system clock to kernel time but not sure how far I'd need to dig in to get at it.

BradN2

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
How does android's clock work if not just taking the time from the kernel? I'm surprised there's not a dedicated hardware clock that can be queried to avoid all the problems that can come from CPU frequency scaling (if timestamp counter or similar used as a clock, as I found out when I got someone to write a PLL IC config utility for a pentium 3 board, and subsequently screwing up linux's clock by it not being aware of frequency changes) and suspend/resume, etc...

On top of that, how could time from network work if the cellular radio is turned off?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
How does android's clock work if not just taking the time from the kernel? I'm surprised there's not a dedicated hardware clock that can be queried to avoid all the problems that can come from CPU frequency scaling (if timestamp counter or similar used as a clock, as I found out when I got someone to write a PLL IC config utility for a pentium 3 board, and subsequently screwing up linux's clock by it not being aware of frequency changes) and suspend/resume, etc...

On top of that, how could time from network work if the cellular radio is turned off?

I only know that the kernel is reading the hardware clock, and seems to stay relatively accurate. Apps like device info live wallpaper read the kernel clock instead of system time. Android has its own system time variable.
Android's clock goofs don't get written to the kernel time when I've been watching it (doesn't mean it doesn't get overwritten at all.)

It grabs network time from the cell radio, yes, but also through the wifi. Apparently from the NTP server in the gps.conf, which might be why some of you get bad wifi only clock lag and I get none... but I get nasty cell radio clock lag instead.

from a 2013 stackexchange post:
We confirmed with the device manufacturer that the devices use NTP to sync the time with pool.ntp.org. After a bit of research of my own, I discovered that NTP is configured in /system/etc/gps.conf. You have to be root to edit this file, but I was at least able to confirm that the information given to us was correct.

We have opened the firewall to traffic going to pool.ntp.org, and so far all of the devices have kept in sync, so it looks like this has worked as intended.

Thanks to NTP Server List (for GPS Fix) | Samsung Galaxy Apollo (Galaxy 3 i5800) | XDA Forums for the info on the NTP config file.

//edit: ah, like many other bits of the build, my device makefiles aren't overriding the gps.conf anymore, so it's using a european NTP server (thanks tons, cyanogenmod source.)
Lemme put up a flashable with the correct gps.conf for the USA. I'll add it to the OPs later.View attachment gps.conf.zip

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.2]OV-KitKat (JBC based)

Brand shiny new carrier fix zip files.
No longer bound to the current ROM release version by replacing build.prop.
I looked up AWK, and it's pretty cool.
Now the zips only edit the needed bits of build.prop instead of replacing it (and still drop in a carrier-specific eri.xml in /data.)
I like it, hopefully it'll help you poor souls who've been languishing away without your carrier label (and MMS :-!) unless you edit your own files manually...

also all gapps and pa_facilitator flashable again. woo.

Last edited:

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
some root apps do it...
otherwise I'd say something is funny with your data partition.
I'll upload the latest f2fs version, maybe try repair partition in twrp on /data before installing.

it takes around 20-min to upload.

I'll give that one a go, then. Clean install and everything. Dunno when I'll be online again to report how it goes, though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech