[ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I got libdashplayer to build (from hardware_qcom_media, which isn't used for thunder(c,g)
logcat stops griping about it being missing and successfully dlopen's the .so file.
too bad it wouldn't boot the rest of the way cause of my messed up fstab. heh.
there, fstab fixed, I get to check it out.
Code:
E/MediaPlayerFactory(  353): calling dlopen on FACTORY_LIB
E/MediaPlayerFactory(  353): calling dlsym on pFactoryLib for FACTORY_CREATE_FN 
E/MediaPlayerFactory(  353): registering DASH Player factory...

the libdashplayer (and an old 'new-to-me' QCOM flag) may, with luck, much luck, allow netflix to work.

Last edited:

BradN2

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes it should, loop support is compiled in the kernel. I've used it to mount ext4's in files on fat32. (on that note, I'm glad f2fs showed up on here because f2fs would be much better for storing gentoo than ext4)

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I thought file based swap would work without formatting anything.
should. dd your file, mkswap it, swapon it. if it's real picky, might have to be in an ext partition instead of sdcard 'cause vfat lacks permissions.
Did it not work for you? I didn't read anything about file-based swap in the thread lately.

BradN2

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
If swapon doesn't like the file, it's possible you may have to use losetup to create the loop device off it, then swapon the loop device (they're in /dev/block/loop*)

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I thought file based swap would work without formatting anything.
Ok, do this. I checked it out and it's working this way.
It does need a loop device, or dmesg says swap file has holes after swapon fails.
These instructions are for an 826Mb swapfile (linux standards recommend 1-2x total RAM)
in adb shell:
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/sdcard/swapfile bs=1024 count=826
mkswap /sdcard/swapfile 826
to create the file
Code:
losetup -f
to see the first free loop device. If none are setup it'll be loop0, which you'll have to substitute for in the next section if it's not loop0 (it'll be in the range of 0-8)
Code:
losetup /dev/block/loop0 /sdcard/swapfile
swapon /dev/block/loop0
You can use the last two commands after a reboot to turn it back on.
Type 'free' in terminal or adb shell to see it's working and how much of it is used.
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
#turn on sdcard file swap space
logwrapper losetup /dev/block/loop0 /sdcard/swapfile
logwrapper swapon /dev/block/loop0
in /system/etc/init.d, named '85sdswapfile' chmod 755 if you want it to automagically happen each reboot.
It'll log any success or glitches in logcat cause of the logwrapper command.
Hopefully this helps you out.

modifed from these sources:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/linux_admin/x1762.html
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7720

Last edited:

BradN2

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Ok, yesterday I tried out the latest f2fs os2sd on 3 different optimus S's (and brand new 8GB SD cards); the phones were all working with hydrorom before, with maybe an hour or two of testing on each.

After loading os2sd f2fs, one phone more or less seems to work (these class 10 cards are very slow even with f2fs), one fc's acore at boot (also likes to self reboot), one fc's phone at boot. I can swap SD cards and behavior doesn't change. All phones (should) have ZVD baseband, as I loaded that factory ROM with factory recovery first to get everything in sync.

Is this likely to be some kind of hardware problem, or is there anything else that typically causes stuff like that? It's just weird that recovery seems to work okay and hydrorom didn't have such problems.

Also, I tried my newer extended battery in the acore fc'ing one and it didn't change anything, so I doubt it's a battery instability. I also tried the version or so back sd card with f2fs on my main optimus, it also experienced the same problems in those phones.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
hm, I don't run any of em very long before shifting to newer test stuff, so it's hard to say. the files don't even hang around except online.
I have one OV that is on the oldest (ZV4) baseband, will OC to the top. It runs great.
The one I'm using right now for a daily driver, ZV5, only OCs to 729 without random annoying reboots which seem RAM usage based but don't drop any crash logs, either in tombstones or proc/last_kmsg. It's also pickier about sd cards that run os2sd fine on the older hardware, go figure.

My opinion is that the newer hardware is chintzier and weaker, doesn't exhibit enough predictability about random reboots to force lowering OC under what seems to work.

I'm sure there's other variables... these things aren't really meant to run off the sd card interface.
What about running sd benchmarks on good workable regular installs (on all 3,) plus os2sd, with the semi-working phone? maybe the sd slot isn't as good or something, (grasping at straws)

I was wondering about changing the part of the kernel that reads atags, to force sd partitions instead of the mtd mapped ones for system and data.
dunno if that would matter, though.
And the last build had the bug that tweaked the lockscreen text. I eventually figured that out, it was the location in the device makefiles of the inherit bla bla statements for the msm7x27-common stuff.
I'm about to test last night's bedtime os2sd build with all the apps/fonts and such that get pulled for internal.
On an older 8GB card that used to be cool but glitched recently.

ah, yes, it seems to be working fine. my boy's toy ov, OC's at 806, newest pa_gapps nano with pa_facilitator (which contains the NEWEST gmscore for today) seem stable.

once it all uploads, maybe give it a shot. it should stabilize some of the weirdities.

Last edited:

BradN2

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I've definitely noticed some SD slot problems on these phones (there is a 4th phone that I gave up on using SD cards in because it was too flaky, and my class 4 16GB now seems kinda wonky even in its original phone), but it's just weird that when the card *seems* to be working in them, those two phones have the same consistent problems...

Maybe I should try an internal build and see if it blows up.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I've definitely noticed some SD slot problems on these phones (there is a 4th phone that I gave up on using SD cards in because it was too flaky, and my class 4 16GB now seems kinda wonky even in its original phone), but it's just weird that when the card *seems* to be working in them, those two phones have the same consistent problems...

Maybe I should try an internal build and see if it blows up.
bet it works. but still, I'd say benchmark the same cards in different phones (and maybe it'd be different with os2sd running, on the phone which'll kinda handle it.)
The newer build might clear some software glitches which could help mess things up. I'm sure there was more than the lockscreen overlay that got borked. //edit, no, it's working ok but still not right.
Only the pa_facilitator update is getting uploaded.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Also, you'll have to get the newest stuff at Android File Host.
I'm tired of google not coughing up download stats even though I've read they are indeed buried in their system. They stopped supporting access to those through docs some time back, and now it requires a business account (with a domain, which I don't feel like paying for, yet.)

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I just recently started having similar issues that BradN2 has stated before (acore fc'ing and phone rebooting), although it was working perfectly fine up till last night since I've made the switch to os2sd. I've tried reverting to the previous f2fs build, but same results, even on a clean install(after installing a couple apps). Sometimes the phone seems to be perfectly fine, but then a few minutes later it freezes up and reboots, or it will go to a black screen and not reboot.
I've tried messing with the performance settings, although I usually have 0 issues with OC'ing at the highest setting(I too have a ZV4 that can run fully OC'd). It can't be my sdcard, cause its a very new card and works fine with my ZTE Awe that I have to boot from sdcard/adb Shell (it has that nasty Encryption Unsuccessful error and needs to manually boot into a custom kernel while not having root access).
What could possibly cause this to be suddenly happening? I've had to lock up my hammer before it became closely acquainted with my phone lol.

john donut

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Also, you'll have to get the newest stuff at Android File Host.
I'm tired of google not coughing up download stats even though I've read they are indeed buried in their system. They stopped supporting access to those through docs some time back, and now it requires a business account (with a domain, which I don't feel like paying for, yet.)
do you have the link? thx

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I just recently started having similar issues that BradN2 has stated before (acore fc'ing and phone rebooting), although it was working perfectly fine up till last night since I've made the switch to os2sd. I've tried reverting to the previous f2fs build, but same results, even on a clean install(after installing a couple apps). Sometimes the phone seems to be perfectly fine, but then a few minutes later it freezes up and reboots, or it will go to a black screen and not reboot.
I've tried messing with the performance settings, although I usually have 0 issues with OC'ing at the highest setting(I too have a ZV4 that can run fully OC'd). It can't be my sdcard, cause its a very new card and works fine with my ZTE Awe that I have to boot from sdcard/adb Shell (it has that nasty Encryption Unsuccessful error and needs to manually boot into a custom kernel while not having root access).
What could possibly cause this to be suddenly happening? I've had to lock up my hammer before it became closely acquainted with my phone lol.

do you have the link? thx
I bet there's either kernel problems or f2fs issues with the kernel.
I reverted to 3.0.8 kernel code, and ext4, and a card that was being uppity is working just fine now.
here's the new ROM download folder.

Like I said earlier, I'm not going to be updating internal for a while, if at all, until it is switchable with os2sd at boot or in some kind of settings.
so, the gapps folder just has the pa_facilitator, and until I get the removal zip lists together, I can only advise the pico pa_gapps

and here's the updated sprint/verizon carrier fixes. They should actually work on any version of this ROM, and maybe other OV roms.

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
just verified something interesting about the clock lag.
noticed once a message arrived timestamped 5 min in the future. four more came in with the correct time, and were listed before the glitchy one.
just now, turned on the screen, lockscreen clock and statusbar clock 7:34 but kernel time one min less as shown with seconds counter on device info live wallpaper.
so system time isn't directly related to kernel time but is probably set from network from what I've read.
even with the use network unchecked in time/date settings I've seen lag before.

guess it might be possible to force system clock to kernel time but not sure how far I'd need to dig in to get at it.

I'm a few days behind here, but I thought I'd give another data point from my recent experience.

Up until last Sunday I was running f2fs os2sd. Clock lag was horrible for me, on both wifi and cellular, although possibly worse on wifi. I got my phone running latest internal last Sunday night, and since then I've not noticed any clock lag at all.

I'm not sure I know enough about the clock to venture a guess at why, but I thought I'd share the experience.

Oh btw, thanks again bigsupersquid for all the help last weekend with getting internal running on my phone. :) It's been running nice and smooth all week!

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I bet there's either kernel problems or f2fs issues with the kernel.
I reverted to 3.0.8 kernel code, and ext4, and a card that was being uppity is working just fine now.
here's the new ROM download folder.

Like I said earlier, I'm not going to be updating internal for a while, if at all, until it is switchable with os2sd at boot or in some kind of settings.
so, the gapps folder just has the pa_facilitator, and until I get the removal zip lists together, I can only advise the pico pa_gapps

and here's the updated sprint/verizon carrier fixes. They should actually work on any version of this ROM, and maybe other OV roms.

Thanks for the speedy response, I will install the new ROM and run it through my unorthodox daily usage and report back anything out of the ordinary(Other than my abusive use of xposed framework modules).

BradN2

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Tried loading the 20141025 os2sd version on two phones...
Edit: Wait, that's an ext4 build, hold on...

Testing results: Phone that was FC'ing "Phone" still does so, otherwise seems to start up okay. Phone that was FC'ing Acore no longer boots even to the CM logo. I noticed one SD read failure event (while checking package md5sum), but tried many times. Factory 2.2 ROM still runs fine.

Will try internal build when I get some more time.

Last edited:

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
So far, the new ext4 os2sd build is working a lotlot better than the f2fs build. Very few hiccups, sometimes the phone will freeze up and either sit on a black screen or reboot after a couple seconds/minutes on boot just like the f2fs, but not as often. I'm not experiencing any fc'ing except for the occasional settings or theme fc, but only when messing with some settings or theme stuff that kinda needs em to restart anyway.

Also, xposed frameworks modules seem to be behaving a lot better than before. XuiMod is a lot lot more fluid with its animations, xhalomultiwindow is a hell of a lot more responsive, GravityBox(KK) works flawlessly, along with several other modules.

I can truly multi-task with several apps/windows open at the same time now. I feel that fast reboot isn't nearly as needed with the ext4 rom vs the f2fs version.

I think i also used the performance mod on initial rom install, but other than that not much else added(performance enhancing wise).

Other than the occasional hiccup after boot, this performs better in my experience so far. Especially after all the apps I've installed.

Another thing, sometimes to help avoid the boot/reboot hiccup(not sure if this actually helps or not) I quickly go to apollo and start playing music after the phone fully boots. It seems to prevent the freeze up/reboot somehow vs just letting it sit there after booting. Odd as hell, but I'm not complaining haha.

One last thing, out of curiousity, do you think it will be possible to add screen recording support to the ROM/kernel for this phone? That'd prove to be an interesting and useful feature for some of the "how do you" questions, or for simply showing some minor errors we may be running into that dont cause a reboot.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Been looking into dlna screencast, no real luck, and have not found one screen recorder working... Same omx errors as netflix and others or armv7.
Any open source mods?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon