[ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
so I saw a while back that cm11's bacon is about fully cooked.
androidarmv6 put up commits that may fix the play glitches.
I'd like to put together an EOL version... still no pc.
Good news is I'm getting interesting results so far with debian sid (multiarch with qemu-user-static and binfmt_misc) running some armhf, some i386, some amd64 binaries all in one debian sid chroot on my evo. It runs static binaries from all three arch's fine, and hopefully the multiarch will solve the linking errors I was getting trying to chroot straight into an amd64 debian jessie.
It will be slow but if lucky I can build with it.
The multiarch chroot is just a mind-blower.
I mean, really, just
sudo dpkg add-architecture amd64
sudo dpkg add-architecture i386
???
And raspbian is capable of it too... I had their wheezy doing multiarch as well. Just need a kernel with binfmt_misc in it and qemu-static-user in your chroot.
Fun and games going on again.
And if I got my hands on a build computer again (fried/overheated my mobo and cpu on the last one with cm12) I can make fixes about 6x faster than on my 1.5GHzx2 1GB RAM evo v... but that's hardware I can't afford.

kameron c

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I used Greenify, Wakelock Detector, and BetterBatteryStats (the full version is free on xda). I found that my phone could not enter deep sleep at all when wifi was on. The wakelock amounts with wifi and with mobile data were the same, both in the order of minutes. However, with wifi on, the awake time was in the order of hours. For this reason, Greenify did not help. Also, the stock "never keep wifi off in sleep" setting did not work. Although in the stock battery info graph, wifi was shown as off about 20 minutes after the screen was turned off, the phone never entered deep sleep. I found no difference in the logcat output between using wifi and using mobile data. Therefore, I suspect that, at least in my case, the insomnia was in the kernel.

I removed Greenify and BetterBatteryStats but I kept Wakelock Detector. After that, I installed Better Wifi On/Off (from the makers of BetterBatteryStats, full version free on Play Store). Better Wifi On/Off actually works. I have it set to turn off the wifi if there is no network activity 10 seconds after the screen is off. Now, the deep sleep hours are approximately the same in both wifi and mobile data, and the battery lasts the same amount of time in both.

kameron c

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Google forced me to update to the newest version of Google Play Services. :'(

Updated apps started to not work without the newer version of Google Play Services.
Screenshot_2015-04-05-04-52-07.png Screenshot_2015-04-05-12-20-48.png

dradzanowski

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Haha, yeah, had that won't run unless update Google Play. I just uninstalled all the apps that wanted that. Replaced Keep with Inkpad. Right now, I'm dealing with a fried micro usb plugin. Bleh. Might me time for a new Opti S

kameron c

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I am paying $25 per month for the unlimited text and data plan that now worths $35 under Virgin Mobile's grandfather clause. :D The grandfather clause stipulates that I can keep the legacy rate as long as I don't change plan or change phone. I am happy to save $120 every year by not getting a new phone.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
dang.
I'd say use cyanogen gapps and manually remove stuff like g+ and earth that are armv7 only.
I'll look into a new package. renewing ancient Toshiba t4020 for slow but functional building capacity.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
play services wakelock can be turned off.
see comments here, check dk-zero-cool's and the one above.
basically, setting/privacy/privacy guard/(menu>enable show built in apps)
long press offending app (this case, play services)
go down the list and disable keep awake, wake up, wifi controls, anything else you dislike.

if you'd like the direct approach, widgets/settings/app ops shortcut on homescreen then use it to control the app perms.

also of interest:
https://github.com/microg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
testing updated boot.img
runs a pre-boot init busybox shell script. Roughly:

mounts internal /data, checks for presence of, in order:
/data/first_boot
/data/internal_boot
(touch either of these to make them exist, they're only referenced as there or not there.)

either of those exists, phone boots into internal mode.
(first_boot gets removed by init script. It's there to insure you get both internal and os2sd systems set up with your user info on a fresh flash.)

failing to find either of those /data/*_boot files, the script checks:
existence of os2sd /data (mmcblk0p4)
if it's there, mounts os2sd /system, checks for /system/build.prop
if build.prop exists, swaps in fstab.thunderc.os2sd for fstab.thunderc in ramdisk.
unmounts /system
unmounts /data
cleans up preinit mounts
copies init to pre-init
copies android_init to init
chroot / /init

Works, too. Boots to internal on demand or if os2sd is missing or sufficiently damaged.
Disadvantages: adds at least 30 seconds to boot time regardless of boot mode.
ROM file takes longer to flash since it goes to both internal and os2sd.
Have to flash internal skinny gapps and os2sd gapps both. Working on compilation file like the ROM. Should block play services update automatically on fresh flash.

I'll post some updates soon. Hard to do a lot with a laptop roughly equivalent to my Evo. no 64-bit system, so no ROM build capability. does kernels and boot images, and zip files, fine though.
// made OS2SD switcher app to go along with. Lets you select which mode to boot into.

//edit: FYI, the os2sd lockscreen time/date centering issue is the LockClock apk. If it's getting its weather feed it looks ok, but without that the date is off-center. Remove the apk to fix the visual glitch.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Closer to an 'update'
no new source build unfortunately, but the modded boot.img is holding up well.

Did you know that linux-4.1 from kernel.org supports an armv5 device out-of-the box (Dreamplug) (and two armv6k as well?)
They're different mach- models and 4.1 has removed the mach-msm applicable bits for older chips completely.
I dislike google and lg more after finding that out.
//edit: and don't forget Qualcomm for being annoyed at since they see fit to obsolete chips and STILL not release source code to support them. Not like they're expecting to make their own breakthroughs on the msm7x27 series... they even removed it completely from the CAF linux-msm kernel quite a while back.

Last edited:

mister_zero

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
So...I defected to BobZHome's ICS. My phone just seems to be a lot happier running that.

But, that ROM also has a clock lag issue, and there's a very simple workaround: Install a clock widget from Play. I tried several and they all kept perfect time. That doesn't fix the lock screen clock, though.

Maybe this would work for the clock lag issue on this ROM, too?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
So...I defected to BobZHome's ICS. My phone just seems to be a lot happier running that.

But, that ROM also has a clock lag issue, and there's a very simple workaround: Install a clock widget from Play. I tried several and they all kept perfect time. That doesn't fix the lock screen clock, though.

Maybe this would work for the clock lag issue on this ROM, too?
Clock widgets's've been tried but maybe something would work.

I never liked ics much. But I'm testing an internal/os2sd mirage from the last official build. seems to work ok. I just like the stability and kernel improvements of mrg666's work. The random reboots on the kitkat are annoying me and I can't build to try to fix them.

Redchigh

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently using
11.0-f2fs_os2sd_bigsuperROM
ZV5 baseband
3.0.101r6.0 ack@build-mach#4 kernel

Build # cm_thunderc-userdebug 4.4.4 KU84Q
f2fs_os2sd_bigsuprrom test-keys

Should I update anything? Everything works (camera, video record, hotspot, wifi, etc) except-
random reboots -particularly when I plug in or unplug my USB cable, but other times as well
Black-blue screen -unresponsive, just goes black but screen is on, a couple times a day. Occasionally when this happens it won't reboot, and when I hard reset the black lit screen comes back. Might be SD card/SD card reader failure.
Oh, and the status bar craps out on me and disappears, freezing the active app. Putting the phone to sleep and waking it up will fix it, though its hard to wake up.

Any ideas whether this is Android, hardware, or a combination?
I'd rather not buy another V, since I can get a 4G phone for $40-50...

One BIG question-
Are there any other roms I can flash with TWRP, and my partitions exactly as they are?
I just want to compare without having to reformat it. (No PC, so no way to back it up)

Thanks for the work, I love your rom.
(Want to clarify, not sarcasm. Kitkat on this OV has totally spoiled me! Even with the problems, I don't think I could go back to anything else.)

syguyice

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi Redchigh, I'll take a crack at the items you mentioned. Your 3 issues sound related to each other, likely due to random components crashing, which are possible symptoms of memory/swap corruption. Bigsupersquid may ask you for logcats to determine the exact process/cause, but in the meantime I'd suggest trying the october/november ext4 builds (non-f2fs). Given that os2sd builds rely heavily on SD card (anything from internal storage to more importantly in your case, memory swaps), and that f2fs builds use a new disk library/format that have stability issues in this ROM, it would be safer to get it out of the way first.

Other than that, I suggest keeping the performance parameters at defaults (CFQ IO scheduler, Interactive processor governor, no overclocking, and original memory management settings) to make sure os2sd runs stable first, before embarking on any kind of tweaking.

Hope this helps.

Redchigh

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed I am running f2fs.. Even before, OS2SD wore out my sd cards really fast. (Had to buy a new one every two months.)

I suspect my sd card, so I bought a new 32gb. I'm upgrading to an Optimus F6 soon for 4G, so I was planning on getting a new card anyway.

Is there any reason to use os2sd over internal+toucanscript?

Also, I'm not sure where to get gapps. The link in the first post isnt applicable anymore.

Thanks for the help.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Toucanscrypt runs great, requires a little less initial configuration and should require a little less out of your sd. However if you've got issues with your internal memory, then obviously running as much external as possible might be smart, and thus OS2SD would be wise in such a case.

syguyice

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
@Redchigh: I know os2sd puts a strain on SD cards, but a new one every 2 months is a little extreme. I've been using an (old) 16gb with this ROM, and it's just starting to show possible issues now after a year of abuse, so I suspect even more serious disk activity is happening in your optimus. Is your memory usually below 30mb free, and/or with disk intensive apps running? I suspect the main culprit to be heavy swapping due to low RAM. One way to monitor the disk activity would be via the CPU Usage display under Developer Tools, and watch for big activity in blue. How has your battery life been?

I haven't used Toucanscript, although internal build was very limiting. Does Toucanscript move the cache and swap partitions to SD card?

There have been a few discussions on getting gapps and how to tweak it to work (e.g. finding old armv6 builds). I personally have avoided them in this aging phone, and substituted with 3rd party options when necessary (e.g. map navigator for gps). Bigsupersquid may be able to point you to where the current repository for gapps is.

Also, for your BIG question 2 posts back, it's unlikely there are other ROMs that would work with bigsupersquid's setup as-is. This may be a good reason to go with internal+Toucanscript, if you want to be able to switch between different ROMs easily.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
@Redchigh:
I haven't used Toucanscript, although internal build was very limiting. Does Toucanscript move the cache and swap partitions to SD card?

Also, for your BIG question 2 posts back, it's unlikely there are other ROMs that would work with bigsupersquid's setup as-is. This may be a good reason to go with internal+Toucanscript, if you want to be able to switch between different ROMs easily.

Too much to explain so here's the quote from my site:
"Here it is! My script originally designed for KitKat on the Optimus S/V. It's got a new name, and I'm bumping it up to 1.0 1.1 after a major find and another major breakthrough! You can now install apps from play store without /data filling ANY from temp apk downloads. It was actually surprisingly hard to find where it stored those! Also, the entire /data/app folder can be temporarily (or permanently if desired) moved to SD. This allows you to install apps that are too large to fit internally, link them with Link2sd, and then return the folder to internal with the link intact! I know, epic right?!

*Goal*
The goal of Toucanscript is to maximize the app potential with older phones through unique use of the SD card. This is all done while balancing the benefits of extra internal space for apps with the benefits of running as much internally as possible.

*Here's what it does:*

Cache is moved to sd-ext, and thus the internal cache partition is empty.
App libraries are moved to /intextra which is the renamed empty cache partition. This frees space on the data partition to install larger apps (although total app size is limited only by the size of the sd-ext partition, individual apps still install internally before being linked, and thus apps larger than about 100 MB won't install). With a new script add-on, data partition size is no longer an issue!
Dalvik-cache is moved to sd-ext along with playstore temp downloads!
As space on the system partition is precious, /system/media, /system/tts, and /system/app are moved to /intextra as well. Thus, system apps still run off the internal, but they have some extra space.​

Basically, it's a folder-by-folder (and some file-by-file) OS2SD mimic to a single SD partion rather than several with none of the limits of internal yet as much running internal as possible, and the ability to move individual apps via Link2SD between internal and external (wheh!). And yes, it should work with other roms, although if I remember right, recent recovery/rom combinations switch 2 internal partitions around which may mean I might have to do a slight tweak to the script if you use a different recovery/rom. I'd be happy to do so if it doesn't work as is, and it'd be only like a 2 second flash to go between the two script versions rather than hours reconfiguring partitions.​