06-19-2014 08:02 PM
56 123
tools
    I love the recovery so far! I don't use all the features.. (I flashed the kitkat from the other thread, just because I need mms.:x)

I'm having a bit of a problem flashing the int2ext scripts though.. I only have one sd-ext, meant for internal (with the int2ext script mentioned)
    Am I right that I need to mount OS2SD system and internal system first?
    No int2ext for OS2SD roms.
    It is already on the card.
    02-24-2014 01:54 PM
    Ah.

I was flashing the internal rom, but with the TWRP recovery. I think I'll just take the plunge and use the OS2SD rom.
    TechVendetta likes this.
    02-24-2014 02:38 PM
    Casey, first of all, please stop beginning your posts with accusations. Secondly, a quick Google search for QtADB will provide the best tool for working with ADB for those inexperienced with it. Full GUI interface and many functions are automated. I understand how stressful it is when you think your phone may be bricked, but seriously, every thread here is experimental and has a disclaimer. If you didn't realize that there's always a possibility that your phone may be damaged by these actions, and if you didn't see (or disregarded) the warnings, then perhaps Android modification might not be the best hobby for you. Again, please try to be more respectful, otherwise you most likely will not receive any further help.

Sent from my HTC_A510c using Tapatalk 2
    02-25-2014 02:17 AM
    Casey, first of all, please stop beginning your posts with accusations. Secondly, a quick Google search for QtADB will provide the best tool for working with ADB for those inexperienced with it. Full GUI interface and many functions are automated. I understand how stressful it is when you think your phone may be bricked, but seriously, every thread here is experimental and has a disclaimer. If you didn't realize that there's always a possibility that your phone may be damaged by these actions, and if you didn't see (or disregarded) the warnings, then perhaps Android modification might not be the best hobby for you. Again, please try to be more respectful, otherwise you most likely will not receive any further help.

Sent from my HTC_A510c using Tapatalk 2

Yeah sorry everyone, I'm busy preparing for a hacking competition in new york this week so I haven't been able to keep up with all my various side projects. As for Casey, if I remember correctly the maker of the flash image gui actually had issues with black screening which is why it was abandoned for the most part. Since you already had a custom recovery, you clearly neglected the zip version that could have been flashed from recovery. As for your root issues, odds are you were probably using some form of apps2sd and messed up your sdcard or grew dalvik too large causing a partial data reset and permission errors. This is a known issue that has plagued this phone ever since roms started using more data. There are various other methods to recover, from re-installing or rerooting to recovering from fast boot or using adb.

As for the other issues, there is a known issue with usb storage mounting. This is due to twrp using a different fstab format, I have a fix for it, just haven't had the time to apply and test it. And Squid, that lazy system mount was what I was asking about. That's how devs used to do it back around gingerbread, before devices started using internal storage that was actually a soldered in sd card. Its standard practice now to use the block mounts.

And yeah my focus for this twrp was for os2sd roms because honestly we're at the point now where that is becoming one of the only options to keep these phones running the latest code. The sd partitioner I added really makes it so much easier for people to take the plunge. I added the internal rom support mainly for backwards compatibility and the potential for future dual booting. I'm also running squid's os2sd build, mainly because I'm too damn busy to merge his mms fix and add in my power and time fixes. I'll have more time for dev work some time next week.
    02-25-2014 05:07 AM
    One other thing I noticed about mounting.
    On booting into recovery, in mounts, you have "OS2SD" and "Internal" system,data, and cache.
    After formatting the "OS2SD" partitions, the names become system, data, and cache. The "Internal" partitions become system_internal etc after formatting them.
    mounting/unmounting in the menu does not affect the names.
    skinbark likes this.
    02-25-2014 07:39 AM
    The root problem wasusb debugging. I am sorry for what I said before, Techvendetta.
    bigsupersquid likes this.
    02-25-2014 10:59 AM
    One other thing I noticed about mounting.
    On booting into recovery, in mounts, you have "OS2SD" and "Internal" system,data, and cache.
    After formatting the "OS2SD" partitions, the names become system, data, and cache. The "Internal" partitions become system_internal etc after formatting them.
    mounting/unmounting in the menu does not affect the names.
    Those should be just mount points. Mtd blocks don't have labels, there's a start and end assignment with fake labels usually in bootloader or kernel. For backup and restore purposes twrp uses the mount point names. Which is how it knows where to restore to.

Posted via Android Central App
    02-25-2014 03:32 PM
    Those should be just mount points. Mtd blocks don't have labels, there's a start and end assignment with fake labels usually in bootloader or kernel. For backup and restore purposes twrp uses the mount point names. Which is how it knows where to restore to.

I was just referring to the "what-u-see' when running recovery. The actual mount points don't change, yes. Bootloader holds the atag data, kernel deciphers it. I remember looking over the kernel bit for that while porting it.
    02-25-2014 08:35 PM
    I was just referring to the "what-u-see' when running recovery. The actual mount points don't change, yes. Bootloader holds the atag data, kernel deciphers it. I remember looking over the kernel bit for that while porting it.
    My last side project was reverse engineering the Coby Kyros tablet. I actually hexedited the u0 bootloader and modified the block partition map. xD Pretty risky business however. But it sure solved the storage issues on that tab. The default map was total crap.
    02-26-2014 11:42 AM
    I'm still having issues with both internal and ext partitions mounting to /system at the same time. Shouldn't happen... both CrossBreeder which is generic about mounting and the sd-gapps which specify mount points do it, and not consistently.

//edit: seems to happen after messing in the mounts menu. if I leave the mounts alone the sd-gapps flash fine.
    02-28-2014 08:58 PM
    Silly question.
    What do I need to do to allow your recovery to see my backups made with a ClockworkMod recovery?
    03-05-2014 11:47 PM
    The root problem wasusb debugging. I am sorry for what I said before, Techvendetta.
    Do you still have a black screen in the recovery mode? If you need help to straighten out, start a new thread and I'll be happy to help you fix it.
    03-05-2014 11:52 PM
    He already fixed by flashing as .zip.
    03-10-2014 07:35 PM
    Another silly question:
    Has anybody backed up the OS2SD KitKat with this recovery, and successful restored said backup?
    03-11-2014 10:37 PM
    Is there a way to button-press boot to recovery or fastboot? Otherwise I might be bootlooped to death...

I was playing with OV-KitKat, didn't like the battery life + random FC's, decided to go back to Mirage. I altered my SD partitions back the way they were using Minitool Partition Wizard. Phone attempts to actually boot (obviously, to nothing) with USB cable connected. LG logo over and over again.

Any suggestions on key combo to boot to fastboot or recovery so I can start over?

Sorry, disregard, got it, don't know if maybe I wasn't pressing buttons hard enough.....

Hold volume down, hold Home, hit Power.... same as usual.
    03-12-2014 07:31 PM
    Another silly question:
    Has anybody backed up the OS2SD KitKat with this recovery, and successful restored said backup?
    yes. works fine for me.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
    03-12-2014 09:03 PM
    yes. works fine for me.
    Sorry I was gone for so long guys, I'm trying to make sure I graduate college in the next semester. Just got a new ford focus, so I'm going to be getting back into building soon.
    03-28-2014 09:31 PM
    Sorry I was gone for so long guys, I'm trying to make sure I graduate college in the next semester. Just got a new ford focus, so I'm going to be getting back into building soon.
    hahaha, can't count the number of times I've lost grade points working on my hobbies with this stuff.
    03-28-2014 09:33 PM
    Never mind how long you were gone it's just gone. It's just good to hear your still around and interested in developing for this old phone

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    03-29-2014 09:53 PM
    hahaha, can't count the number of times I've lost grade points working on my hobbies with this stuff.
    Luckily I passed my crypto class. Just applied for graduation AND I started dropping source for my recovery on github. You'll still need my device tree to build it, which I plan to upload next.
    bigsupersquid and AndyOpie150 like this.
    05-01-2014 06:11 PM
    Will this work on the Optimus S?
    05-21-2014 06:48 PM
    Will this work on the Optimus S?
    should.
    05-23-2014 09:24 PM
    The recovery won't read internal partitions it says it can't mount and it says when I go to wipe unable to wipe system is there any other way I can get back to a standard recovery

05-26-2014 02:55 AM
    The recovery won't read internal partitions it says it can't mount and it says when I go to wipe unable to wipe system is there any other way I can get back to a standard recovery

Look for skinbark's CWM recovery here:
    https://www.mediafire.com/folder/nfgfef6qpril7/CM11

I've been using that one for squid's internal KitKat ROM for a couple of months now. The only thing it can't do is properly partition a SD card to contain the FAT32 and EXT4 partitions. It can wipe them both, but the only wiping I recommend anyone doing with this recovery is for EXT4 (/sd-ext). If you wipe a FAT32 partition (/storage/sdcard0), it will effectively reformat the entire card to FAT32, leaving the user to use aparted on the phone, or pulling it out and using a PC format app.

Nearly forgot to mention: you can install the zip file to the SD card. Go back to recovery, and install CWM from there. Reboot back to recovery, and it should come up.
    05-26-2014 09:05 AM
    Sorry I keep disappearing. Battery issues were resolved by picking up an extended battery of amazon for $10. With how old this phone is, most of us probably are due for new batteries anyway. I see squid forked my recovery, so I'm going to set a reminder to upload the device tree to compile it for our phone properly. I've had squids rom with working mms running stable on my phone since I started this thread, using my recovery. As an information assurance major (read: hacker) I really like knowing that I can remove my sdcard and have my device hold absolutely no data on me.
    bigsupersquid likes this.
    06-06-2014 03:35 PM
56 123