[TWRP RECOVERY][OS2SD][INTERNAL][KITKAT ROM DEV] - TechVendetta

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Never mind how long you were gone it's just gone. It's just good to hear your still around and interested in developing for this old phone

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

TechVendetta

May 16, 2011
Visit site
hahaha, can't count the number of times I've lost grade points working on my hobbies with this stuff.

Luckily I passed my crypto class. Just applied for graduation AND I started dropping source for my recovery on github. You'll still need my device tree to build it, which I plan to upload next.

cammykool

Resident *****
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
The recovery won't read internal partitions it says it can't mount and it says when I go to wipe unable to wipe system is there any other way I can get back to a standard recovery

Posted via Android Central App

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
The recovery won't read internal partitions it says it can't mount and it says when I go to wipe unable to wipe system is there any other way I can get back to a standard recovery

Posted via Android Central App

Look for skinbark's CWM recovery here:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/nfgfef6qpril7/CM11

I've been using that one for squid's internal KitKat ROM for a couple of months now. The only thing it can't do is properly partition a SD card to contain the FAT32 and EXT4 partitions. It can wipe them both, but the only wiping I recommend anyone doing with this recovery is for EXT4 (/sd-ext). If you wipe a FAT32 partition (/storage/sdcard0), it will effectively reformat the entire card to FAT32, leaving the user to use aparted on the phone, or pulling it out and using a PC format app.

Nearly forgot to mention: you can install the zip file to the SD card. Go back to recovery, and install CWM from there. Reboot back to recovery, and it should come up.

TechVendetta

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I keep disappearing. Battery issues were resolved by picking up an extended battery of amazon for $10. With how old this phone is, most of us probably are due for new batteries anyway. I see squid forked my recovery, so I'm going to set a reminder to upload the device tree to compile it for our phone properly. I've had squids rom with working mms running stable on my phone since I started this thread, using my recovery. As an information assurance major (read: hacker) I really like knowing that I can remove my sdcard and have my device hold absolutely no data on me.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
.... I see squid forked my recovery, so I'm going to set a reminder to upload the device tree to compile it for our phone properly....
I've been looking forward to that. For example, I found that the OS2SD runs fine with /cache back on NAND and it'd be nice to have the extra partition removed from or optional in the formatting process.
... As an information assurance major (read: hacker) I really like knowing that I can remove my sdcard and have my device hold absolutely no data on me.
That makes good sense. I enjoy being able to swap just the card and flash a boot.img to move my whole huge OS over to another phone without having to go through the long backup/restore process too.

I was thinking again about ways to install a minimal system to the internal partitions and aufs mount the ext partitions over them. That way the card could be pulled while running, and if the card went bad like has happened to at least one user, the phone would still work at a basic level.

TechVendetta

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been looking forward to that. For example, I found that the OS2SD runs fine with /cache back on NAND and it'd be nice to have the extra partition removed from or optional in the formatting process.

That makes good sense. I enjoy being able to swap just the card and flash a boot.img to move my whole huge OS over to another phone without having to go through the long backup/restore process too.

I was thinking again about ways to install a minimal system to the internal partitions and aufs mount the ext partitions over them. That way the card could be pulled while running, and if the card went bad like has happened to at least one user, the phone would still work at a basic level.

A much more doable method would be to make a modified boot.img that checks for the sd parts and if they dont exist, loads boot code for an internal rom. Better yet, if I rewrote the init and added some twrp code we could have a touch based dual boot menu.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I am still having issues with zips using busybox mount /system for internal flashing.
I can usually mount os2sd system and flash that type of zip ok, but it's a toss up whether or not it tries to mount the internal correctly. I've had some work but the latest pa_gapps stuff... doesn't see /system for os2sd whether or not I mount it first, or mount/unmount.
It's the same busybox line... but the thread says something about the newest zips being new installer code by chainfire? I have yet to research that, but those zips fail to flash regardless. They're WWAAAAAYYY too big for internal, even the gmscore is 15Mb alone...

Recovery.log says (sometimes) that mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 fails due to resource busy or in use (won't remount.)

TechVendetta

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I am still having issues with zips using busybox mount /system for internal flashing.
I can usually mount os2sd system and flash that type of zip ok, but it's a toss up whether or not it tries to mount the internal correctly. I've had some work but the latest pa_gapps stuff... doesn't see /system for os2sd whether or not I mount it first, or mount/unmount.
It's the same busybox line... but the thread says something about the newest zips being new installer code by chainfire? I have yet to research that, but those zips fail to flash regardless. They're WWAAAAAYYY too big for internal, even the gmscore is 15Mb alone...

Recovery.log says (sometimes) that mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 fails due to resource busy or in use (won't remount.)
Odd, I haven't had any issues running my released recovery. Did you format your card using the formater I coded in? I'm thinking about turning my build server back on to upload the remaining device/vender tree. It's been off primarily because my room gets hot as hell with how many servers I'm running in here. ^.^;

The internal flashing is buggy but only in the sense that twrp is more robust than previous recoveries. Older recoveries had in-built functions for mounting things, but twrp has a full scripting env so you mount the stuff yourself. It also is important to know that in recovery your devs and mount points can be different than they normally are in the rom. Actually, the code that would have cleared that up is probably in the device tree... Guess I better get you that code lol.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Odd, I haven't had any issues running my released recovery. Did you format your card using the formater I coded in? I'm thinking about turning my build server back on to upload the remaining device/vender tree. It's been off primarily because my room gets hot as hell with how many servers I'm running in here. ^.^;

The internal flashing is buggy but only in the sense that twrp is more robust than previous recoveries. Older recoveries had in-built functions for mounting things, but twrp has a full scripting env so you mount the stuff yourself. It also is important to know that in recovery your devs and mount points can be different than they normally are in the rom. Actually, the code that would have cleared that up is probably in the device tree... Guess I better get you that code lol.
I have no issues flashing my own zips.
And I figured out... kinda... how to trigger the correct mounting for those snarky pa_gapps zips. It's a weird zip file that my archiver can't delete the empty folders in... the same contents in a new zip don't do the same thing. So I used the same zip to remove the armv7 keyboard libs from gapps, and replace the armv6 one, after flashing the regular, up-to-date gapps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12