[TWRP RECOVERY][OS2SD][INTERNAL][KITKAT ROM DEV] - TechVendetta

TechVendetta

May 16, 2011
Visit site
So rather than cluttering the various other threads with my updates this will be my main stable releases and support thread.

[TWRP RECOVERY]
  • supports internal and os2sd roms
  • allows back up and restore from internal and external
  • built-in file manager
  • custom coded os2sd card partitioner
  • every other feature of twrp is functioning properly
If you were testing my beta builds, you may need to either delete your twrp folder (at least the settings file) or select "storage: sdcard storage" then tap the radio button during your first backup, this may also be true after formating since the partition table changes. After doing this once its stored by twrp in settings. Also, be patient during sdcard partitioning, especially with larger cards, the phone will vibrate and display success when its done.

[DOWNLOAD: recovery.img]
[DOWNLOAD: recovery.zip]

[KITKAT ROM]
Still not stable enough for release...
My ROM is based off Bigsupersquid's repo, which is based off JBC.
My work focuses on os2sd specifically.
I post weekly/nightly builds on my website under the forum section.
Note that those builds can be unstable (which is why they aren't on here yet)

Now that TWRP is functioning the way I wanted, I'll be refocusing on the ROM, and cleaning up my code to post to github.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Very nice! I will certainly be using your new recovery, as well as keeping an eye on the development of the Rom. One quick question, how does your Rom differ from Squid's?

TechVendetta

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Very nice! I will certainly be using your new recovery, as well as keeping an eye on the development of the Rom. One quick question, how does your Rom differ from Squid's?

Well Squid actually beat me to alot of fixes, he got mms fully working before me. I was tweaking mostly performance related values, like battery and sdspeed and clock speed and time fixes. Which reminds me, Squid nice job on the mms fix, I just flashed your rom from my recovery and its working pretty decent. As far as generic zips, I'm assuming you mean ones that don't specify a mount path for system? See the problem with that is to allow that you would need to mount both internal and external at /system, however, doing so would break the ability to backup both internal and external system. I suppose one solution would be to add a scanner that parses the recovery script looking for a mount command. Then if one isnt found it could suggest a mount before running. This would be relatively easy compared to what I've done so far.

But they shouldnt default to internal, extsystem mounts at /system in recovery and intsystem mounts at /system_internal

I do plan to add multiboot support in the boot image (and maybe recovery) I also am trying to use the mtd blocks as swap.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
... As far as generic zips, I'm assuming you mean ones that don't specify a mount path for system? See the problem with that is to allow that you would need to mount both internal and external at /system, however, doing so would break the ability to backup both internal and external system. I suppose one solution would be to add a scanner that parses the recovery script looking for a mount command. Then if one isnt found it could suggest a mount before running. This would be relatively easy compared to what I've done so far.

But they shouldnt default to internal, extsystem mounts at /system in recovery and intsystem mounts at /system_internal...
ah, but the line
Code:
run_program("/tmp/busybox","mount","-o","rw,remount","/system");
in updater-script mounts the MTD partition to /system regardless of the fstab. I think it's using the atag partition data.

TechVendetta

May 16, 2011
Visit site
That's odd, that line should use the os2sd mount at /system... I suppose I can script in backwards compatibility, maybe even internal to external ROM conversion. Any other script lines like that to filter for?

Posted via Android Central App

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
That's odd, that line should use the os2sd mount at /system... I suppose I can script in backwards compatibility, maybe even internal to external ROM conversion. Any other script lines like that to filter for?

Posted via Android Central App
I think it's busybox borking it up. but similar lines for /data. the "-o blah blah" doesn't matter.
//edit: at least yours flashes those zips to internal, the cwm6.0.4.5 and up error when trying to mount like that unless the partition is already mounted.

and, know what? it just flashed CrossBreeder 12-1 to ext without any tweaking. Maybe my earlier tests were bunk... sorry :/

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Defect!!!! Your recovery is just a black screen!!!! Squiddie makes better recovries than you!!!
bad flash. try again. you'll have to use terminal since the recovery isn't working.
Code:
su
flash_image recovery /storage/sdcard0/Download/recovery.img
if you downloaded it to the card in the phone. else put it in the Download folder on the card.
the fakeflash I uploaded is skinbark's patched into a cm7-era CWM fakeflash zip. That wasn't really mine either.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Ah, think I figured it out.
CrossBreeder and other scripts that use the half-***ed 'mount /system' format instead of specifying where it mounts from, will flash to whatever /system /data and /cache are currently mounted. I added instructions for that to my ROM thread and set TWRP as the preferred recovery now.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Defect!!!! Your recovery is just a black screen!!!! Squiddie makes better recovries than you!!!

This really is a disrespectful way to ask for help. These good people invest their own time and energy into massive projects to extend the usefulness of dated hardware. It's a labor of love and if they don't feel appreciated they run out of reasons to share their work. If your statement was made in good humor, it's good etiquette to include an emoticon to indicate that. I don't mean to lay into you, but I know I would be angered if that statement were aimed at me.

Sent from my HTC_A510c using Tapatalk 2

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, Casey - you need to be polite and nice to people if you want them to help you. If you happen to be as young as your photo, maybe you haven't learned this yet. Just keep doing a lot of reading and learning from others with more experience. Look at how they describe issues they are having and how they ask for help and respond to each other. They are a very helpful and hardworking group of people.

All the people here are volunteers trying to help each other out. Be grateful to them - they are not being paid for this, you know. Otherwise, you will just find yourself ignored and on your own.

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The recovery looks very nice! Loved the portal/android graphic - LOL.

I couldn't get usb storage to work from it, but it may be lack of experience on my part. The sdcard is already set up and working with os2sd. When I try to mount sdcard storage from your recovery, the computer bings for a new device but doesn't pop up the explorer window it should for a new file device.

I'll play with it some more tomorrow.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
The recovery looks very nice! Loved the portal/android graphic - LOL.

I couldn't get usb storage to work from it, but it may be lack of experience on my part. The sdcard is already set up and working with os2sd. When I try to mount sdcard storage from your recovery, the computer bings for a new device but doesn't pop up the explorer window it should for a new file device.

I'll play with it some more tomorrow.
that part is broken yet afaik.

Casey Campanile

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Great your recovery messed me up techvendetta. My apps can not get root access. Superuser request not responding. Help! What should I do?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar