Toucanscrypt: Unlimited Apps!

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Optimus V: Internal KitKat with mount scripts

So, we still need to use link2sd with this, right? I also noticed that link2sd now has to be purchased for $2.35 to have access to all the features:

Plus features:
- Links internal data directory of the apps to SD card **
- Links dex files of the system apps to SD card
- Auto clear cache service
- Removes ads from Link2SD​

mounts2sd still seems to be completely free - has anyone here tried it on this phone with this ROM?

It's certainly not like the free version is a trial. It's more of a basic vs. pro version thing. I've been using the free version and loving it. The extra features aren't really necessary. Plus, mounts2sd also has a pro version. I used it once some years back and didn't like it, but can't remember why. Some of the benefits in using my script are that the script itself is set-it-and-forget-it. You don't have to keep tinkering with things to get it right. 2nd, you can move individual apps via Link2SD instead of the entire app folder. 3rd, my script provides extra space on the system partition--necessary if you want Google now. 4th, My script links cache to SD solving a separate "catch" when installing large apps. 5th, since cache is moved, I can bind mount things to it's internal directory so as to provide quicker access.

I am envious of mounts2sd's app interface. I'd like to build one eventually, and include similar features as Link2SD so it wouldn't need to be installed, but for now, it does the job.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Would you add your recommendation about recoveries to the root post?

For installing the rom and utilities described in this thread, I expect we are just back to using a "normal" recovery like the RA-thunderc-v-2.2.0 that I have on the phone from the mrg666 install? As opposed to the modified recovery used for os2sd that links some system directories to sdcard, right? Or wasn't there a problem with using the older recoveries with kitkat that got all the recovery development going again? I think the needed recovery information is all that is missing from the root post.

Thank you!

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Would you add your recommendation about recoveries to the root post?

For installing the rom and utilities described in this thread, I expect we are just back to using a "normal" recovery like the RA-thunderc-v-2.2.0 that I have on the phone from the mrg666 install? As opposed to the modified recovery used for os2sd that links some system directories to sdcard, right? Or wasn't there a problem with using the older recoveries with kitkat that got all the recovery development going again? I think the needed recovery information is all that is missing from the root post.

Thank you!

Sorry it's been so long. Had a really busy month, and been out of town a lot.

Any recovery that works with the internal version of Big Super Rom should be fine. Steer clear of recoveries for OS2SD as these were built only for OS2SD and this script is unnecessary/incompatible. Thanks for your interest!

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Here it is!
My script originally designed for KitKat on the Optimus S/V has a new name, and I'm bumping it up to 1.0 after a major find and another major breakthrough! You can now install apps from play store without /data filling any from temp apk downloads. It was actually surprisingly hard to find where it stored those! Also, the entire /data/app folder can be temporarily (or permanently if desired) moved to SD. This allows you to install apps that are too large to fit internally, link them with Link2sd, and then return the folder to internal with the link intact! I know, epic right?!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Sorry it's been so long. Had a really busy month, and been out of town a lot.

Any recovery that works with the internal version of Big Super Rom should be fine. Steer clear of recoveries for OS2SD as these were built only for OS2SD and this script is unnecessary/incompatible. Thanks for your interest!
if you want to make your script compatible with ryan's TWRP...
(and this should work in any recovery, since it hardcodes what gets mounted)

run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/dev/block/mtdblock5", "/system");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/dev/block/mtdblock6", "/data");

that will flash to internal.

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site

This script is already Awesomesaucity & Amazeballs as it was. But now this new version!? I'm chomping at the bit to take it for a spin already!! Gonna have to do it later when I can plug the Optimus S to a wall...

Lions2

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Well.The script It worked for me on 4.4,4 kitkat, but when I reboot I loose ALL of the apps I downloaded plus it wont let my install them from the play store, or even pull an apk from the internet. I flashed back to my nandroid, re-flashed kitkat rom and script, and the same thing happens. Anyone know the reason?

Last edited:

Lions2

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I had to flash back to bean_whiz to get full results of this script. (but thank you bigsupersquid the 4.4,4 is one of the most stable roms on my ov) The bean_whiz rom + script BLEW MY MIND!!!!! I'm able to install large games with no problem. I have one app thats over 88mb total space and one that is a little more than 77mb total space yet I still have a little over 160mb left!! @bigsupersquid, AndyOpie150, Toucan4267, and thekraven If I could donate to you guys I totally would! Thanks to all of my OV has been way more enjoyable!!! c:

Posted via Android Central App

Redchigh

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Seems to not be working for me.

Im using Internal Kitkat, and my internal is full. I downloaded link2sd, rebooted, and downloaded and linked only a few things before I began runningout of space.
I then flashed unlimited installer, which helped a little, but int is still full, and I can't install the google play services update..

Ill try a reflash I guess, and check back later.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Which internal partition is filling up? The app I like to use to tell is called Storage Partitions. Advanced options show you just which partitions are filled. Let me know which "/{blank}" partitions are filled to what percent.

Also, could you paste the contents of the log Toucanscrypt creates; that'd help me figure out what's going wrong. It's created in /data/local entitled "linknlog"

Some other things to check:
1. Did you use the right recovery to flash? It should have an option in it to change to internal mode rather than OS2SD.
2. Are you linking apps as you go? That should keep partitions from filling up. Also, if using the "Unlimited Apps" script, nothing should be saved internally as you install a new app. It Internal is still "filling" as you install apps wwith the unlimited script, then something must not be right.

I'll actually be up in the Wyoming mountains out of cell range from tomorrow morning until about 7pm Saturday, but feel free to keep posting progress, and I'll help as soon as I'm back.

Last edited:

Redchigh

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Well...
Tried to download storage partitions, but alas, not enough internal space.

Was going to find the log, but there isn't a file browser in the internal build...
Not enough internal space to install one.

Perhaps I should just reflash from the beginning.
I did have one idea.. Perhaps it broke because I flashed PurePerformance from the kitkat thread?

Redchigh

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
One somewhat related question-

Using TWRP (Internal mode) to format the SD card..
What should I do for the SWAP partition option?
0? 1? Or doesn't matter since it won't be used?

Oh... And something REALLY weird..
I never got the 'android is updating' message. Neither after toucanscrypt, OR the rom itself. Bizarre....

Last edited:

Redchigh

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I reflashed, and downloaded storage partitions.
My educated guess, is that it's not working.. Then again, I have only downloaded storage partitions and titanium backup. >.>

Storage Partitions are as follows:
Code:
Internal Storage (427MB, 9 Partitions)

Partition mtdblock5 164MB
Apps- 44MB Free

Partition mtdblock5 179MB
Android- 16MB Free

External Storage 0
29.66GB, 3 Partitions

Partition mmcblk0p1 26.10GB
User Storage 25.01GB Free

Partition mmcblk0p2 2.82GB
/data/sdext2 2.76GB Free

Partition mmcblk0p3 763MB
NA 763MB Free

Does that help?

Something else, that I find particularly strange....
There is no linknlog file. I used root browser to search the whole device after it wasn't in /data/local

Bleh. I'm not gonna bother switching to OS2SD since I just use it as a wifi hotspot.
If the puzzle bugs you though, I'll be glad to help you nail it down.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey, back in cell signal and have some limited free time on my hands! Haven't looked at things yet, but wanted to let you know I'm on task!

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Ha! Just had an epiphany (I think)! Read posts #1505-1508 on the Squid's Kitkat thread, check under your settings, about tablet, to see if SELinux is enabled.
If it is, then install this:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.mrbimc.selinux&hl=en&token=ekoZr7Sa
(run it, set it to permissive, or whatever is necessary) and reboot.

Tell me if it works (or at least gives you the log). My guess is that with SELinux enforced it wasn't even running my script and thus there was nothing to log.

Redchigh

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Indeed!
SElinux WAS st to enforcing :)

Should I reflash now?

Also, the developer of that app was banned from Google Play, but the file waqs easy enough to find on XDA..

So I need to reflash both scripts now, right?

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I would go ahead and reflash the script after ensuring that SELinux is Permissive, then check if the script created its log. Hopefully that was the only issue. Was thinking too that if it's still giving issue, you could install a very lightweight terminal app, and do the command "mount | grep ext4" which will post a part of the info from the log and should at least let me know which folders/partitions are being mounted to your sd card.