How do I restore Swype after flashing Harmonia 2?

sushifor5

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I finally switched from froyo Harmonia to gingerbread yesterday...I'm technically challenged and an "old dog," LOL. God bless AndyOpie, he saved my bacon so many times...he will be greatly missed, rest in peace, friend!!

When I flashed the Harmonia 2 and set up Link2sd again, I had a lot of trouble (it wouldn't auto link, argh)...I'm still having apps acting wonky today. I can't get my Swype to work now. I restored it from Titanium Backup and it won't work, keeps force closing. How can I get swype to work?

Thanks so much in advance for any help!!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
swype is a real b**** to move around, it doesn't like to be messed with.

Taking it away from Froyo, you can't put it in /system any longer. You have to sideload it and certain things in it might not work right anymore when you do.
Like in Kitkat, the old OV stock swype won't peck into certain blanks and has to be swyped in, or peck, tap the screen for new cursor, peck, tap etc.
But most of it still works.

Pull the swype apk from wherever Titanium is putting it, uninstall it, and install it through a file manager or adb instead.
when it goes into /data/app, its name is com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk

since you migrated from froyo to gb, titanium may not really be a good thing. It's going to carry over some incompatible stuff.
You might want to do clean install of all your apps instead...

sushifor5

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Well that's a bit over my ken, LOL...seems a bit of a hassle, so I'll probably be better off trying a new keyboard that has swipe capability. :) I didn't know that TiBU was incompatible, that's a bummer! I bought pro thinking it was the way to go always and forever. I have more than 100 apps...hmmm. I have noticed that my new gingerbread system is lagging a LOT, so far I'm not impressed. So I'm going to guess that it doesn't like my attempt to migrate everything over with TiBU and Link2sd.... Thanks for the info and input!

sushifor5

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
OK, actually, could you tell me if I should be using TiBU anymore? What program should I use for complete backups of apps? Is it just an issue of moving from froyo to GB or is it a TiBU issue? Thanks for your advice!

edit: another question...is it possible to make two backups of the same app on TiBU? I saw in a thread someone say something about having TiBU backups for a froyo harmonia rom, and they planned to make new TiBU backups for the GB harmonia rom. ... So how does that work? THX!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
OK, actually, could you tell me if I should be using TiBU anymore? What program should I use for complete backups of apps? Is it just an issue of moving from froyo to GB or is it a TiBU issue? Thanks for your advice!

edit: another question...is it possible to make two backups of the same app on TiBU? I saw in a thread someone say something about having TiBU backups for a froyo harmonia rom, and they planned to make new TiBU backups for the GB harmonia rom. ... So how does that work? THX!
TiBu works ok, it's moving apps and settings from one android version to another (Froyo to GB) that causes problems. Not all the /data stuff is the same from version to version but TiBu copies it all in anyway.
It's possible you can restore just app settings with TiBu after reinstalling them from Play. Recovery backups and experimentation are good for testing that.

Basically, I'd suggest clean install your apps off Play, backup, then try restoring just app settings and data with TiBu. No system app stuff with TiBu since that'll be different too.

sushifor5

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Basically, I'd suggest clean install your apps off Play, backup, then try restoring just app settings and data with TiBu. No system app stuff with TiBu since that'll be different too.
OK, this may be a dumb question, but if I clean install my apps from Play store, why would I restore app settings and data with TiBU?

Also, not to be a pain, LOL, but do you know if it is possible to make a separate and new backup of an app for the GB version on TiBU if I already have it backed up from my previous froyo rom? So can I have two versions (froyo and GB) of each app?

If I do the clean install and then backup those apps will they override my previous TiBU backups?

thanks much!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
OK, this may be a dumb question, but if I clean install my apps from Play store, why would I restore app settings and data with TiBU?
people are lazy and I figured that was one of the coveted features of TiBu.
didn't mean to imply you're lazy though.
Also, not to be a pain, LOL, but do you know if it is possible to make a separate and new backup of an app for the GB version on TiBU if I already have it backed up from my previous froyo rom? So can I have two versions (froyo and GB) of each app?

If I do the clean install and then backup those apps will they override my previous TiBU backups?

thanks much!
guessing there's either a hidden or visible tibu sdcard directory.
back it up on your PC after making your Froyo TiBu backup (mark it somehow so you know it's Froyo) then delete it from the card before making the GB backup.
treat the GB backup the same except you don't need to delete it when done unless you're going back to Froyo.

sushifor5

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
people are lazy and I figured that was one of the coveted features of TiBu.
didn't mean to imply you're lazy though.
guessing there's either a hidden or visible tibu sdcard directory.
back it up on your PC after making your Froyo TiBu backup (mark it somehow so you know it's Froyo) then delete it from the card before making the GB backup.
treat the GB backup the same except you don't need to delete it when done unless you're going back to Froyo.

OK, that makes sense, I'll look for that on sd card and use your suggestion, thanks!

One other question, if you don't mind. I've been doing clean install of my apps from Play store...it's taking so long, LOL...but last night, after I had installed Go Launcher EX and then a couple other apps, I downloaded the amazon app store. Soon after, things started getting really buggy...I had FastBoot installed and I used it, and then the phone went black and when it came on, Go Launcher EX started freaking out and changing the home screens and docks I had set up...reboot didn't fix it, made it worse...the screens were just weird. So I uninstalled amazon app store and I uninstalled FastBoot...but nothing fixed it. So I'm uninstalling GoLauncher and I'll try over again. But is the new version of Go Launcher just buggy or did I do something wrong? I'm doing clean installs and linking things to Link2sd. Thx!!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
it's hard to say what app messed things up. sometimes fast reboot causes crashes too, it sounds like the launcher dislikes being forceclosed.
maybe if you pastebin me a logcat after it goes wonky I could tell you more.

sushifor5

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
it's hard to say what app messed things up. sometimes fast reboot causes crashes too, it sounds like the launcher dislikes being forceclosed.
maybe if you pastebin me a logcat after it goes wonky I could tell you more.

Well even though I have no idea what you just said in that last sentence, LOL, I appreciate your willingness to help me! :) I really don't understand anything technical...if it weren't the "written for dummies" tutorials, I wouldn't be rooted and flashing anything, LOL. I just did a fresh wipe and am going to start over again. I saved some of the GB apps to TiBU and am going to try to restore them and set up Link2sd and see how that goes. Thanks again!