07-08-2013 02:37 PM
972 ... 3031323334 ...
tools
    I was almost to afraid to try it, thanks for the guide.
    07-06-2011 12:49 AM
    Can anyone show me a good reliable set of instructions to root using the mac? thank you
    07-06-2011 03:40 AM
    Thanks for the info!
    07-06-2011 06:07 AM
    I didn't have any errors with any command but on the step to install superuser and titanium backup i couldn't install anything. Hard resetting and redoing it worked.

I'm not sure ota updates work but should we disable them somehow?
    This guide will show you how to get a permanent root on your Optimus V, WITHOUT flashing a custom recovery.
    07-06-2011 06:13 AM
    This guide will show you how to get a permanent root on your Optimus V, WITHOUT flashing a custom recovery.

Much of this post comes from KSmithInNY's Guide to rooting the Optimus S which can be found HERE. Thanks to KSmithInNY for letting me use his guide as a base.

WARNING - This is a cat and mouse game we play with manufacturers. I guarantee you an update will come from LG that patches this exploit and will prevent people from rooting. It will also close your root access if you've already rooted using this method. Long story short, NEVER ACCEPT OTA UPDATES FROM THE CARRIER OR MANUFACTURER.

What You'll Need:
    - Sun JDK, FOUND HERE
    - The Android SDK, FOUND HERE. Install this on the root of your computer so the path is C:/android. After you've installed the SDK, make sure it's up to date by launching the SDK Manager. This will be something like c:\android\SDK Manager.exe. It will ask you to update several things, but the only one that needs to be up to date is the SDK Platform for Android 2.2
    - Drivers for the LG phone installed on your computer. Instructions can be FOUND HERE courtesy of our favorite android hacker, modder, developer, blogger (jack of all trades) gbhil
    - SuperOneClick v1.6.3, which is available from xda-developers HERE.
    - And the file I have attached to this post. Download it, unzip it, and put the 2 files inside in your android\platform-tools folder created from installing the SDK.

Before you go any further, make sure you have downloaded/installed/updated everything in the list above, or will you not be able to complete the root.

Ready?
    Step 1: Plug your phone into your PC with the USB cable.

Step 2: Make sure the phone is charge only (don't mount as USB drive) and USB debugging is enabled. Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > check mark USB debugging

Step 3: Run SuperOneClick.exe. Select the psneuter exploit on the right, and then click the Shell Root button. SuperOneClick will attempt to gain a temporary root for your phone. This may take several tries. Keep trying until you get a message that says "You phone has a Temp ADB Root". Leave this window open, do not reboot your phone, and continue to step 4.

Step 4: Open a CMD window and type the following:

cd c:\wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is (mine for example is C:\android\platform-tools).
    (After entering the next line, adb shell, you should have a "#" prompt, if instead you see "$", SuperOneClick has not been able to gain access to your phone. Go Back to step 3 and try again).
    adb shell
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
    exit
    adb push su /system/bin
    adb push busybox /system/bin
    adb shell
    cd /system/bin
    chmod 4755 su
    chmod 555 busybox
    exit
    adb reboot

(Your phone will now reboot)

Step 5: Go to the android market on your phone and download "Superuser"(free). The developer will be listed as ChainsDD. You can then download TitaniumBackup and attempt to backup your phone. It will also check to make sure your phone has been rooted correctly. It you don't get any errors, your phone has been rooted correctly!

Donations:
    What I ask is, if this helps you root, tweak, or modify your phone, please watch this thread and help someone who may be experiencing issue. Yes, I am asking you to donate your time. The same donation I made while writing this so you could root your phone

Simple Explanation of commands and programs:
    busybox - busybox is collection of Linux utilities to manipulate files and many other things. Many programs that require root use busybox to copy files and move them around, among other things.
    su - su allows programs to run with higher (e.g. root) permissions.
    adb shell - Logs you into your phone and allows you to enter commands directly
    exit - Logs you out of your phone
    adb push - Sends a file to your phone
    mount - Allows you set up file systems as read/write instead of read only, among many other things
    cd - Changes to whatever directory is specified
    chmod - Changes the permissions for the file specified. the number 4755 simply tells the linux system that anyone can run the file.
    need 1 post
    07-06-2011 05:38 PM
    thanks ^_^
    07-07-2011 09:03 AM
    thanks many times
    07-09-2011 01:59 AM
    I have followed every step to a t. And cant for the life of me get the phone rooted. I must have tried at least 10 times now...
    07-12-2011 01:48 AM
    Step 4: Open a CMD window and type the following:

cd c:\wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is (mine for example is C:\android\platform-tools).
    (After entering the next line, adb shell, you should have a "#" prompt, if instead you see "$", SuperOneClick has not been able to gain access to your phone. Go Back to step 3 and try again).
    adb shell
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
    exit
    adb push su /system/bin
    adb push busybox /system/bin
    adb shell
    cd /system/bin
    chmod 4755 su
    chmod 555 busybox
    exit
    adb reboot

(Your phone will now reboot)

Ran into a snag in step 4. The mount command echoed (perhaps that's normal), and the first push command said that the path was invalid. This phone was purchased on 7/11/11, and I was able to use SuperOneClick for a permanent root.

Software/firmware specs:

Android 2.2.1
    Kernel 2.6.32.9
    Build FRG83
    SW version VM670ZV4

Cheers!
    07-13-2011 10:40 PM
    anyone try this using windows in a virtualbox?
    07-14-2011 12:01 AM
    <snip>
    - Drivers for the LG phone installed on your computer. Instructions can be FOUND HERE courtesy of our favorite android hacker, modder, developer, blogger (jack of all trades) gbhil
    <snip>
    Do you actually mean we should follow all of the instructions there, including:

Do Optimus V owners really install the LGP500 drivers?
    Do we need to set Singapore as our language?
    Thanks... I am new to this(cell phones) and so do not want to do anything that I cannot fix.
    I have been using computer sense CP/M days, so I am not new to computers at all.
    I have access to a Win7, WinXP, and Linux machine here if anything is needed.
    07-15-2011 10:42 AM
    I don't think we'll have anything going for at least a week or so. The phone was just officially released yesterday. It took a little bit for the Intercept's deving to get going, but it is going fairly well now.
    Guys I want to root my phone so I can customize it and I am just not comfortable doing it looking at the instructions. Any advice? I want to overclock it and rid of all the bloatware. Thanks in advance!
    07-16-2011 09:20 PM
    Do you actually mean we should follow all of the instructions there, including:
    [BOX="3. Under the Options & Help menu, choose Country & Language. Set Singapore as your country, and English as your language (unless you prefer another of the listed languages. Hillbilly was not listed.) 4. Next, on the main window choose to install the USB driver, and choose LGP500 as the model number."][/BOX]

Do Optimus V owners really install the LGP500 drivers?
    Do we need to set Singapore as our language?
    Thanks... I am new to this(cell phones) and so do not want to do anything that I cannot fix.
    I have been using computer sense CP/M days, so I am not new to computers at all.
    I have access to a Win7, WinXP, and Linux machine here if anything is needed.
    I just rooted my LG Optimus V following the instructions in the original post including choosing Singapore for the country while installing the LG drivers (language is English).
    07-17-2011 07:28 AM
    Guys I want to root my phone so I can customize it and I am just not comfortable doing it looking at the instructions. Any advice? I want to overclock it and rid of all the bloatware. Thanks in advance!
    The instructions worked for me without any problem. For deleting the bloatware I have used Titanium backup. The free version worked fine for that purpose. I have deleted the followings since I did not need them.SCVNGR, Twidroyd, WHERE, Poynt. I have also deleted the original versions of Google Maps, Google Search, Voice Search, and GMail since there are updated versions of these apps in the Market. Titanium backup can save a backup of these in your SD card and it is a very good idea.

After this cleanup, I used link2SD to move all of the user apps (that I have installed from Market not the system apps) to SD. Link2SD requires rooting and can move all of the user apps to SD card including the apps app2SD cannot move. But you need to repartition your SD card. Just read the instruction in the Market page for Link2SD.

Now I still have 140MB empty space in the internal memory after installing everything I wanted. I am also considering a custom recovery image and kernel but I have not decided yet. Update: I have flashed Harmonia 1.3.1.
    07-17-2011 07:47 AM
    Installed JDK and ADK to default directories. At 1st, ADK wouldn't install saying JDK not installed. Went to the JDK folder and manually ran jave.exe. The ADK program installed and gives me a program called SDK Manager. I'm assuming this is the program used to mod the phone? Anyway, running SDK Manager causes it to check for many updates. Afterwards, there aren't any Android virtual devices listed and I am unable to select a target device. Have tried this with the phone disconnected and connected with USB debugging enabled. Any ideas?
    07-17-2011 06:04 PM
    After several tries it finally worked! Thanks.
    07-18-2011 05:12 PM
    Seems to have worked... I had a few unexpected reboots after completing Step 4 completed. Hope it worked smoothly!
    07-18-2011 10:31 PM
    when i go to the java site to Dload the SUN JDK i get lost, there are a million things and i don't know what to get!! HELP!!
    07-19-2011 06:36 PM
    when i go to the java site to Dload the SUN JDK i get lost, there are a million things and i don't know what to get!! HELP!!
    Java SE 6 Update 26 JDK (Java SE Development Kit 6u26), most likely the Windows x86 version.
    07-20-2011 11:41 AM
    Hello,
    I am a new member of this Forum and using LG Optimus V for the last two months. I have never tried rooting an android. I want to do this but a bit nervous.

How safe it is to root the phone?
    If I make any mistake, can rooting damage the phone?

Details of the phone is given below:

Model Number: LG Optimus VM672
    Android Version: 2.2.1
    Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9
    SW version: VM670ZV4
    HW version: 1.2

I will be extremely grateful if you please answer my questions and help me rooting my first android phone.

Please let me know if you need any more info about the phone.

Thanking You,

Shahad
    07-21-2011 03:49 AM
    Easiest way to root now is with the newer 'Gingerbreak' app found here:

[26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers
    07-24-2011 02:58 AM
    Hi, everyone.
    I just bought my LG optimus V and wanted to follow this thread to root my phone. But I downloaded the superclick 1.95 and I got a message that my phone has been rooted after I click root on it. So I reboot the phone and download the titaniumbackup, it looks like my phone has been already rooted after one click. Does anyone know how to check my phone is totally rooted?

Thanks,
    Wingswing
    07-24-2011 09:43 PM
    install 'terminal emulator' from the app market, it's a good tool to have anyway. then type 'su' in it, there should be a popup dialog asking you to grant the app super-user privileges. If you can then you have root, otherwise you don't.
    07-25-2011 02:08 AM
    Same here. I need the version for Windows XP.

Sent from my VM670
    07-27-2011 03:12 PM
    Same here. I need the version for Windows XP.

Sent from my VM670
    The instructions here are outdated. Use the new Gingerbreak, install .apk and run it on the phone (no need to even connect to a PC, except to transfer the .apk file for installation.
    07-27-2011 03:53 PM
972 ... 3031323334 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD