[How-To] Root the LG Optimus V

Noodles#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
This guide will show you how to get a permanent root on your Optimus V, WITHOUT flashing a custom recovery.

Much of this post comes from KSmithInNY's Guide to rooting the Optimus S which can be found HERE. Thanks to KSmithInNY for letting me use his guide as a base.

WARNING - This is a cat and mouse game we play with manufacturers. I guarantee you an update will come from LG that patches this exploit and will prevent people from rooting. It will also close your root access if you've already rooted using this method. Long story short, NEVER ACCEPT OTA UPDATES FROM THE CARRIER OR MANUFACTURER.

What You'll Need:
- Sun JDK, FOUND HERE
- The Android SDK, FOUND HERE. Install this on the root of your computer so the path is C:/android. After you've installed the SDK, make sure it's up to date by launching the SDK Manager. This will be something like c:\android\SDK Manager.exe. It will ask you to update several things, but the only one that needs to be up to date is the SDK Platform for Android 2.2
- Drivers for the LG phone installed on your computer. Instructions can be FOUND HERE courtesy of our favorite android hacker, modder, developer, blogger (jack of all trades) gbhil
- SuperOneClick v1.6.3, which is available from xda-developers HERE.
- And the file I have attached to this post. Download it, unzip it, and put the 2 files inside in your android\platform-tools folder created from installing the SDK.

Before you go any further, make sure you have downloaded/installed/updated everything in the list above, or will you not be able to complete the root.

Ready?
Step 1: Plug your phone into your PC with the USB cable.

Step 2: Make sure the phone is charge only (don't mount as USB drive) and USB debugging is enabled. Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > check mark USB debugging

Step 3: Run SuperOneClick.exe. Select the psneuter exploit on the right, and then click the Shell Root button. SuperOneClick will attempt to gain a temporary root for your phone. This may take several tries. Keep trying until you get a message that says "You phone has a Temp ADB Root". Leave this window open, do not reboot your phone, and continue to step 4.

Step 4: Open a CMD window and type the following:

cd c:\wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is (mine for example is C:\android\platform-tools).
(After entering the next line, adb shell, you should have a "#" prompt, if instead you see "$", SuperOneClick has not been able to gain access to your phone. Go Back to step 3 and try again).
adb shell
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
exit
adb push su /system/bin
adb push busybox /system/bin
adb shell
cd /system/bin
chmod 4755 su
chmod 555 busybox
exit
adb reboot

(Your phone will now reboot)

Step 5: Go to the android market on your phone and download "Superuser"(free). The developer will be listed as ChainsDD. You can then download TitaniumBackup and attempt to backup your phone. It will also check to make sure your phone has been rooted correctly. It you don't get any errors, your phone has been rooted correctly!

Donations:
What I ask is, if this helps you root, tweak, or modify your phone, please watch this thread and help someone who may be experiencing issue. Yes, I am asking you to donate your time. The same donation I made while writing this so you could root your phone

Simple Explanation of commands and programs:
busybox - busybox is collection of Linux utilities to manipulate files and many other things. Many programs that require root use busybox to copy files and move them around, among other things.
su - su allows programs to run with higher (e.g. root) permissions.
adb shell - Logs you into your phone and allows you to enter commands directly
exit - Logs you out of your phone
adb push - Sends a file to your phone
mount - Allows you set up file systems as read/write instead of read only, among many other things
cd - Changes to whatever directory is specified
chmod - Changes the permissions for the file specified. the number 4755 simply tells the linux system that anyone can run the file.
thanks, it worked

EnBat43

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Got my Optimus V almost two months ago. I really love it, but found at times the battery drained at an alarming rate and the phone would heat up. I think I tracked it down to the WHERE app. I would FORCE STOP it, but sure enough the battery would start draining and I would find WHERE was running again. I like WHERE when I need it, but would like to turn it off at other times. Can't find an option to either shut it off or delete, so I surfed the web looking for solutions. Found all this Rooting stuff, opened a whole new world for me. Thanks for all the good information and help.

Still, shouldn't there be an option to close WHERE, and have it stay off, until you specifically turn it on?

dankitchen

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
This guide will show you how to get a permanent root on your Optimus V, WITHOUT flashing a custom recovery.

Much of this post comes from KSmithInNY's Guide to rooting the Optimus S which can be found HERE. Thanks to KSmithInNY for letting me use his guide as a base.

WARNING - This is a cat and mouse game we play with manufacturers. I guarantee you an update will come from LG that patches this exploit and will prevent people from rooting. It will also close your root access if you've already rooted using this method. Long story short, NEVER ACCEPT OTA UPDATES FROM THE CARRIER OR MANUFACTURER.

What You'll Need:
- Sun JDK, FOUND HERE
- The Android SDK, FOUND HERE. Install this on the root of your computer so the path is C:/android. After you've installed the SDK, make sure it's up to date by launching the SDK Manager. This will be something like c:\android\SDK Manager.exe. It will ask you to update several things, but the only one that needs to be up to date is the SDK Platform for Android 2.2
- Drivers for the LG phone installed on your computer. Instructions can be FOUND HERE courtesy of our favorite android hacker, modder, developer, blogger (jack of all trades) gbhil
- And the file I have attached to this post. Download it, unzip it, and put the 2 files inside in your android\platform-tools folder created from installing the SDK.

Before you go any further, make sure you have downloaded/installed/updated everything in the list above, or will you not be able to complete the root.

Ready?

Step 2: Make sure the phone is charge only (don't mount as USB drive) and USB debugging is enabled. Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > check mark USB debugging

Step 3: Run SuperOneClick.exe. Select the psneuter exploit on the right, and then click the Shell Root button. SuperOneClick will attempt to gain a temporary root for your phone. This may take several tries. Keep trying until you get a message that says "You phone has a Temp ADB Root". Leave this window open, do not reboot your phone, and continue to step 4.

cd c:\wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is (mine for example is C:\android\platform-tools).
(After entering the next line, adb shell, you should have a "#" prompt, if instead you see "$", SuperOneClick has not been able to gain access to your phone. Go Back to step 3 and try again).
adb shell
exit
adb push su /system/bin
adb shell
cd /system/bin
chmod 4755 su
chmod 555 busybox
exit
adb reboot

Step 5: Go to the android market on your phone and download "Superuser"(free). The developer will be listed as ChainsDD. You can then download TitaniumBackup and attempt to backup your phone. It will also check to make sure your phone has been rooted correctly. It you don't get any errors, your phone has been rooted correctly!

Donations:
What I ask is, if this helps you root, tweak, or modify your phone, please watch this thread and help someone who may be experiencing issue. Yes, I am asking you to donate your time. The same donation I made while writing this so you could root your phone

busybox - busybox is collection of Linux utilities to manipulate files and many other things. Many programs that require root use busybox to copy files and move them around, among other things.
mount - Allows you set up file systems as read/write instead of read only, among many other things
chmod - Changes the permissions for the file specified. the number 4755 simply tells the linux system that anyone can run the file.
This is great, thanks!

SmokedOut

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I have tried and tried and I can not get it to push the su or busybox file it tell me its a read only file or runs a list of parameters dir, ect. what is going on?

Edit: I got it phone is rooted finally took to times once I found my typing error to get it to take to the phone but works now.

Thanks for the post. To any one that might have issues type some of the command lines in this forum to get a eye for how the spacing ect looks so that you type it right when in the CMD windows on your computer.

Last edited:

the81edition

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

What You'll Need:
- Sun JDK, FOUND HERE

Ready?

adb shell
exit
adb push su /system/bin
adb shell
cd /system/bin
chmod 4755 su
chmod 555 busybox
exit
adb reboot

Donations:

trying it
fingers crossed

autobotguy

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I recently got my phone back from LG for repairs and it seems like they installed firmware V5 (android 2.2.2) on it. I tried to root the phone (had to use SuperOneClick 1.9.5 as 1.6.3 is not longer available) and I can't seem to be able to obtain temp root through SuperOneClick. I have hit the shell root about 30 times and it keeps coming up with an error. This is what I see in SuperOneClick....

OK

Starting ADB Server...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

OK

Waiting for device...

OK

Pushing psneuter...
2021 KB/s (585731 bytes in 0.283s)

OK

chmod psneuter...
error: closed

FAILED

I would greatly appreciate any assistance with this issue. Thanks!!!!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad