[How-To] Root the LG Optimus V

Gutterball

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi Great tutorial! One thing I would do though is tell them some where in the description. To download the attachment at the bottom cause I for one didnt see it and since it wasn't in the instructions anywhere didnt download it. So I couldnt get the su commands to work and it was driving me crazy till I read a few posts and realized I needed the attachment or maybe I'm just an ass! LOL (good possibility)

also anyone not knowing where the spaces go in the commands? Should just copy and paste word for word each command. thats what I did and it worked perfectly! Thanks again!

SGH360

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello first time user of android

I was wondering after doing this will i be able to put my apps on my SD card?

Last edited:

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hello first time user of android

I was wondering after doing this will i be able to put my apps on my SD card?

You can already move apps to your sdcard with the phone as is. Go to manage apps and select the move to sdcard option. Rooting in and of itself does not add extra features to your phone, but it DOES give you permission to mess around with your phone and change things, like trying out custom themes, advanced features for moving apps to sdcards, and so on.

In short, no. Rooting will not do anything special to your phone, but it is the gateway to be able to do such things.

SGH360

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I tried that but it does not completely move the app to the SD card, just 3/4 of it. i would not mind this if the Internal Memory was not less than 200mb. what will i need to do after rooting the device?

(I thought having a bigger memory card meant you can have more apps to have at the same time) hopefully this is not a permanent case, i saw that moving to SD card was not an option back 2.1 i doubt 2.3 is going to have installing apps in SD option that would be cool though.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
RevolutionRed said:
Additionally, for everyone that cares, there's a port of Gingerbread (Android 2.3) for the S that's reported working on the V.
oh, yeah.
look here
after a little thrashing around and teeth-gnashing finding info on getting a root prompt through adb (watch the phone screen while requesting su through adb to tell the superuser app to allow root for adb-shell or adb shell says denied) I got the rom installed...
haven't played with it much yet but the specs say everything but incoming MMS works.
looks good to me so far!
And, thanks to everyone for the rooting info. I had to mix-and-match methods to find what worked for me, but it's done and I'm on gingerbread with my brand-new optimus v. Drool.

itsnotadam

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Can someone PLEASE help me. Everything goes smooth until i have to CHMOD the files, for some odd reason it cant find it or whatever, and im sure im doing it right. Please someone reply quick, since im in the middle of the process D:

(look at screenshot)

View attachment 6596

cell9

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I was able to root from Linux. Instead of Step 3, above, do the following:
First, unzip the SuperOneClick zip file and copy psneuter to the directory with adb. I used version 1.6.5

Now run these commands from the directory with adb:

./adb push psneuter /data/local/tmp

./adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/psneuter

./adb shell /data/local/tmp/psneuter

You can now continue with Step 4

Reactions: jplien

Sieistverruck

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
EDIT:nevermind. i guess i did not save the sdk to c:\android like i thought i did. silly me :p

when i try to push su it says "failed to copy 'su' to '/system/bin/su': read-only file system.

same thing when i try pushing busybox.

what am i doing wrong?

Last edited:
Reactions: pandacookie

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I tried that but it does not completely move the app to the SD card, just 3/4 of it. i would not mind this if the Internal Memory was not less than 200mb. what will i need to do after rooting the device?

(I thought having a bigger memory card meant you can have more apps to have at the same time) hopefully this is not a permanent case, i saw that moving to SD card was not an option back 2.1 i doubt 2.3 is going to have installing apps in SD option that would be cool though.

Check out an app on the marketplace called "Move to SD Enabler." It will let you set default location of downloaded apps to the SD card. I just tried it and it seems good.

Lakhota

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
ok looks like i screwd up my phone, i did all that, there was a small cursor on the left hand top screen and then it went away. screen is all black and nothing comes on..what do i do?

johncatman

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
:( Didn't Work On My LG Optimus V Gets Stuck On Waiting For Device any ideas? I Installed The Drivers And Enabled USB Debug And Install All The Other Stuff But Still No Luck :(.

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
ok looks like i screwd up my phone, i did all that, there was a small cursor on the left hand top screen and then it went away. screen is all black and nothing comes on..what do i do?

Sorry for the long time to get back to you. What's the status of your phone now? Can you reboot? Is it still completely dead?

If it really is bricked, you can always try the unbricking method posted for the Optimus S. The process is similar for the V. Here's the link:

Unbrick your phone

There is one important thing. In step 15, don't use the S nandroid dump the forum links to, use the V stock dump provided by takehull in the V forum.

ShortFuse

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why you can't click Root in SuperOneClick.

If it doesn't work, why doesn't somebody report it so I can fix it?
If it does work... then use it.

:-D

Reactions: sixit

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why you can't click Root in SuperOneClick.

If it doesn't work, why doesn't somebody report it so I can fix it?
If it does work... then use it.

:-D

Didn't work for me. I don't know why. It DOES get a temp root, but fails when copying the files for the perm one. Consider it reported :)

tehbnt

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
su issues?

Hey there, thanks for the work on this. I'm on an Optimus V with stock ROM, version Android 2.2.1, here's what I'm getting:

From "adb shell"
# ls -l /system/bin/busybox
ls -l /system/bin/busybox
-r-xr-xr-x root root 1926944 2011-02-26 17:18 busybox
# ls -l /system/bin/su
ls -l /system/bin/su
-rwsrwxr-x root root 26264 2011-02-26 17:18 su
#

From terminal on the droid:

$su
Permission denied
$

The file permissions look fine to me, anyone have any ideas?

Solved:

Needed to select Notification type: Notification (instead of Toast) in the Superuser app.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

omgwtfmason

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
EDIT2: I'm having another problem now.. I installed everything and everythings updated and I put the files in the folder, etc and super one click says i have a temp root.. I'm at the CMD window and I type the c:\android\platform-tools thing and hit enter, then i type adb shell and it says "'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." so idk what to do now lol.

EDIT: I was trying to install the .exe file and it wouldn't let me install it.. so I downloaded the zipped version and it seems to be working, I'm running the SDK manager right now.. so I'll see.. :p

I've never done this before, and I install the "Java Platform JDK" from this page Java SE Downloads like it says to and when I try to install the Android SDK it says that the Java SE Development Kit is not found.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm on a 64-bit Vista computer, so I'm installing the 64-bit version of JDK. If that even makes a difference in the process..

Last edited:

Lkr

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
EDIT2: I'm having another problem now.. I installed everything and everythings updated and I put the files in the folder, etc and I'm at the CMD window and I type the c:\android\platform-tools thing and hit enter, then i type adb shell and it says "'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." so idk what to do now lol.

EDIT: I was trying to install the .exe file and it wouldn't let me install it.. so I downloaded the zipped version and it seems to be working, I'm running the SDK manager right now.. so I'll see.. :p

I've never done this before, and I install the "Java Platform JDK" from this page Java SE Downloads like it says to and when I try to install the Android SDK it says that the Java SE Development Kit is not found.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm on a 64-bit Vista computer, so I'm installing the 64-bit version of JDK. If that even makes a difference in the process..
make sure you have your platform tools downloaded from the SDK manager
for JDK, hit back where it says you don't have it installed, and then hit next and it will show it as installed.