[How-To] Root the LG Optimus V

mehndi

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
@Whyzor

It says the drivers for the Optimus V are optional? Should I download the drivers to my sd card on my phone? Where can a find a free file manager app to install Gingerbreak apk to my phone? Can I root, install a custom recovery and then wait for a while to flash a ROM? Can I use Harmonia or Bumblebee ROM? I really don't know what any of these ROMS are, I have just been reading a lot about them.

mehndi

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
@Whyzxor

Isn't this what I should be following? Nothing about Superoneclick.

This is what I see in Simplified Root, Recovery, Custom ROM Thread:

This is a simplified guide for those new to rooting & flashing a custom ROM on the Optimus V. No need to type complex commands that are hard to follow and prone to mistakes. Basically there are 3 main steps: Root, Install custom recovery, & flash custom ROM.

Windows Drivers for the Optimus V (Optional, but suggested):
http://www.lg-phones.org/wp-content/...-Optimus-V.zip

Rooting

Rooting is the process of gaining administrative rights to the phone so one can do customizations that aren't normally allowed. Root by itself doesn't do anything interesting, unless there's an app that needs it. The fancy stuff comes from custom ROMs. Just remember Virgin Mobile Activation only works on Froyo ROMs, so do it before going to Gingerbread. The easiest way to root nowadays is to use GingerBreak. It can be found here:

[26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers

Instruction Steps:

1. Turn on USB Debugging (Settings - Applications - Development)
2. Copy the GingerBreak.apk to a /sdcard dir, then using a 'file manager' app (search for one in Android Market) install it like a regular app.
3. It can take up to 10 minutes, and will reboot automatically when complete (rooted), if attempt fails, reboot manually & run it again.
3a. In App Market, find & install 'busybox' & run it.

Install custom recovery image

The recovery image is an alternative bootup instead of normal Android Operating System. It allows low-level operations such as backup/restore a ROM, wipe partitions, and flash ROMs.

4. Download and copy the recovery image VM670NH_recovery.img (works with newer OV screens) onto your /sdcard.
5. Install the Flash Image GUI app (save the .apk to a /sdcard directory, then open it with file manager). Run the app & select 'Recovery Image' option with the file above.

Flash Custom ROM

[ROM+Kernel] Inferior Human Organs unofficial CM7.1 (Gingerbread)

6. Copy the unextracted ROM .zip that you wish to install to the /sdcard dir. Also if installing a CyanogenMod Gingerbread ROM, the unextracted gapps.zip also needs to be placed in the same dir to flash right after the ROM .zip.
7. Boot into Clockworkmod recovery mode (From powered off state, hold vol-down, home, and power button until the LG logo appears).
8. FIRST, BACKUP ORIGINAL ROM! Don't continue until this is successful. use vol-up/down, camera, & back keys to navigate in recovery.
9. Wipe Data/Factory Reset, wipe cache partition, & under Advanced Settings, Wipe dalvik-cache, then format all partitions EXCEPT /sdcard.
10. Flash the custom ROM.zip from sdcard and gapps.zip too if going to a CyanogenMod ROM
11. Reboot and enjoy the new ROM, the first boot takes longer than usual, also some problems may disappear after rebooting.

NOTES:

- NEVER use the Android Settings 'Factory Reset' from now on, only do factory reset & wipes from within recovery mode. Most ROMs should have this option removed from the Android settings.

- Some newer Optimus V screens hardware changed, see link: [FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms (BobZHome's IHO recovery from the Wiki binary -> recovery page also works with newer screens.)

- If restoring a backed up ROM in CWM recovery gives 'MD5 mismatch' error (likely caused by renaming a ROM backup). Try this fix:
# cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/<name_of_backup>
# rm nandroid.md5
# md5sum *img > nandroid.md5

- If you ever want to restore to original stock ROM (ONLY on OV's with older screens), with original recovery and UNrooted:
http://www.prepaidandroid.org/index....inal_condition

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
mehndi, I suggest you use the stock ROM for a week or two to get familiar with concepts and things, then the instructions will make more sense. Otherwise every step will be foreign to you and I don't have time to answer every single question.

Reactions: mehndi

jnip87

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
@whyzor

i used your guide .. ran gingerbreak .. it rebooted. downloaded busybox installer.. when i run it it sais i do not have root

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Download & install 'terminal emulator' run it and type 'su', you should see a # prompt if phone has been rooted properly, otherwise rerun gingerbreak. There could be something wrong with latest busybox installer too, if the above worked, maybe try a different busybox installer. google it or search on market.

goodgreve

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Does not work here.

First I get error that psneuter does not work on Android newer than 2.3.3 (I have 2.2.2)
and then it stops @ step #5 waiting for device.

I have rebooted the phone more times than I care to count. I have tried with formatted SD card and without one. I have reset to factory default, all to no avail.

Any suggestions?

celestelugo0

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Reactions: goodgreve

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Any instructions for using Gingerbreak??

Download it, and download a file manager form the market. Then click on it from within the file manager, and install it. When it's finished installing, run it (press "Root") and wait. It can take anywhere from 2-15 minutes.

Reactions: goodgreve

celestelugo0

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Download it, and download a file manager form the market. Then click on it from within the file manager, and install it. When it's finished installing, run it (press "Root") and wait. It can take anywhere from 2-15 minutes.

Thanks kcls, I should have added the instructions when i made my last post. :)

paulkruger

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
- Drivers for the LG phone installed on your computer. Instructions can be FOUND HERE courtesy of our favorite android hacker, modder, developer, blogger (jack of all trades) gbhil
The link goes to the page on LG to download these drivers but the very phone that this thread is about, Optimus V cannot be found on the list to download?

Does this render this set of instructions null and void? Do I need different instructions now to root my VM670?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1