[How-To] Root the LG Optimus V

omgwtfmason

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I just figured out what I was doing wrong, I misread one of the instructions and was trying to go to the wrong folder.. I think it worked now, I'm installing superuser and titatanium backup right now..

EDIT:

seems to have worked! thanks!

Last edited:

SkeetSkizzle

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Noob with minor issues...

So Everything was going fine till I got to the command

adb push su /system/bin

that command and a couple to follow are giving me problems and an error saying

cannot stat 'su' : no such file or directory

Please Help.......

***UPDATE***

Sorry BIG NOOB mistake

Didnt extract the attached files to the right destination the first time. If anyone has this problem that is your answer!!

Thank You uploader this was my first Root and and is officially ROOTED!!!

Last edited:

HallOfPromise

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a bunch!!! My first Android rooted and it wasn't too hard. Took me longer to download and install everything on the computer. I ran into a few fumbles, all my fault. But I recovered and got the right prompts saying I have root access. Sweet!

Next step I want to create a backup. ROM Manager doesn't seem to do the trick so no onto more digging :)

Kroot

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I followed the procedure here to root the phone, downloaded and installed superuser and Ti backup, then backed up the recovery img and then installed the custom recovery from the other thread. I'm not sure though if my V has a permanent root or not. I can run Ti backup and it says it's rooted, but I still cannot delete any bloatware (from the App Settings). To start an abd shell I have to still use superoneclick, if not I get the $ not the #. Once permanently rooted, do you still need to use superoneclick or can you just open up a cmd prompt and go?

Nvrmind. I can adb without superoneclick now for some reason. Moved to the RedRom so no bloatware included, but it is still puzzling to me that I could not uninstall the VM apps.

Last edited:

digitaljeannie

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I followed the procedure here to root the phone, downloaded and installed superuser and Ti backup, then backed up the recovery img and then installed the custom recovery from the other thread. I'm not sure though if my V has a permanent root or not. I can run Ti backup and it says it's rooted, but I still cannot delete any bloatware (from the App Settings). To start an abd shell I have to still use superoneclick, if not I get the $ not the #. Once permanently rooted, do you still need to use superoneclick or can you just open up a cmd prompt and go?

Nvrmind. I can adb without superoneclick now for some reason. Moved to the RedRom so no bloatware included, but it is still puzzling to me that I could not uninstall the VM apps.

You don't automatically have read/write permissions to the system folder just because you have root. To remove system apps, you have to have a file reader like Root Explorer that can grant R/W permissions to the folder so you can go in and deleted the apk's or use adb commands like the ones here.

Reactions: Kroot

sadpanda

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I think it all worked. I downloaded Titanium backup and was able to uninstall air g chat, virgin live, twidroid, and where.

Is there anything else special I can do with my newly rooted phone? I'm kinda scared to do more, but if I could make the phone faster, or the battery last longer somehow that would be great. If not, that was a lot of work to unintall a twitter client, streaming hippy music, and knock-off IM and Places clients.

dnaL0R#WN

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
help plz...

noob here...

after dl and inst. the jdk, i tried running the android sdk, but it tells me that the jdk is not found...

i dl the right one [jdk-6u24-windows-x64] from the link provided, but it seemed to have installed the jre version...

tia

sadpanda

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Do I have to leave usb debugging on? I have it off now.

Since I rooted yesterday my 3g connection has been crapping out, though the 3g icon is still there. Also, when I reconnect the phone through usb, the 'turn on usb mass storage' page flashes open and closed until I unplug and plug it back in. Just a few little buggy things that have happened since rooting yesterday.

Any thoughts?

Help?

Kroot

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
hmmm, the sdk install wizard keeps telling me java jdk not found... i tired reinstalling, restarting the pc, etc... what am i doing wrong?

I had the same issue since I'm running W7x64. Try installing the 32 bit version of the Java. Android installer is looking in the wrong place...

Reactions: dnaL0R#WN

BorisBadinov

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I followed this guide step-by-step and it couldn't have been easier. I was wondering if there are any benefits to Rooting this way as opposed to doing it through ROMTools and the like?

I ROOTed using this guide but when I access ROMTools and attempt to "flash recovery to phone" the program seems to think I am not ROOTed and is unable to boot me into recovery. Therefore, I think I will have to ROOT again using ROMTools unless there is another way.

Thanks for any insight people have to offer!

mmmark111

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I followed this guide step-by-step and it couldn't have been easier. I was wondering if there are any benefits to Rooting this way as opposed to doing it through ROMTools and the like?

I ROOTed using this guide but when I access ROMTools and attempt to "flash recovery to phone" the program seems to think I am not ROOTed and is unable to boot me into recovery. Therefore, I think I will have to ROOT again using ROMTools unless there is another way.

Thanks for any insight people have to offer!

ROMTools doen't root your phone. It lets you skip the rooting process by flashing a custom recovery that lets you flash a pre-rooted ROM :)

alisonc

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
*Puts on flame ******ant suit*

Does this work on a stock, 2.2.1 ???

*Runs for his life*

yup, I just rooted the Optimus V I bought yesterday that has 2.2.1. now to find out what crazy awesome stuff I can do o_O;

Thanks everyone for the guide and feedback! I wasn't able to root my phone on an XP virtual machine on mom's Mac (maybe because it was a VM, but I had the phone connected to the VM and not host box), but got it done on my 7 Home Premium x64 laptop.

Delrahim69

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I have downloaded everything but when I try to run android sdk it says I need to download a JDK, but I already did and installed it. I downloaded kit 6 update 24. Am I installing the wrong JDK?? Please help, new to android os.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar