Custom Recovery for Optimus V

takehull

Hipster Retro Jelly Bean
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to getinowmarketing over at Android Forums, we now have a custom recovery made specifically for this device. In order for some of the USB functions to work, I had to reinstall the drivers for the phone. I take no credit what so ever for this, I'm just compiling info for everyone here.

Instructions: Re-installing drivers:
1) Have the USB cord already plugged in, but don't have the phone connected.
2) Download and install drivers found here.
3) After the instillation is done, reconnect the phone and allow for the drivers to reinstall. All USB functions(ADB, USB Mass Storage) should be functional on all Windows OS's(don't know about Linux or Mac)

Materials: Custom Recovery
Android SDK for Windows, found here.
or you can enter the codes in an emulator on your phone.
The custom recovery found here.
flash_image which can be found at the end of the first post here.

Instructions, Custom Recovery:
Please read before proceeding. It is important to follow correctly and completely
1) Download the custom recovery and flash_image, and extract each file to the root of your sdcard
2)Start and adb shell, or open up a terminal emulator on your phone
3)Enter the following codes:
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-thunderc-v-1.2.0-GNM.img
reboot recovery

You should then reboot into the custom recovery built just for the Optimus V. The button mapping issue, as well as USB functions have been fixed with this. Also, never flash a radio through recovery, unless you want to brick your phone.

For a complete rundown of everything that this recovery can do, and to go thank getitnowmarketing, go here.

Last edited:

gfurr24

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Had an issue with this version not recognizing certain .zip files on my sdcard. The file was the 1.1 Rodimus update.zip file. It would show up on the Optimus S 1.1.0 recovery but for some reason it wont show up on 1.2.0 for the V. Kinda wierd and im not sure why. I flashed back to the S 1.1.0 recovery and the files show up again. Has anyone else had that issue?

Lenoh

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Had an issue with this version not recognizing certain .zip files on my sdcard. The file was the 1.1 Rodimus update.zip file. It would show up on the Optimus S 1.1.0 recovery but for some reason it wont show up on 1.2.0 for the V. Kinda wierd and im not sure why. I flashed back to the S 1.1.0 recovery and the files show up again. Has anyone else had that issue?

I initially placed the zip files in the root folder, but was not able to see them. I read somewhere that people create a folder named " Roms" or "Rom Folder" or something like that to place their rom files. I made a folder on the root of sd card Rom Folder, placed the RodimusROM inside, reboot to recovery, navigate to folder and voila, I have the rodimus rom.

Thanks takehull for bringing the info here.

takehull

Hipster Retro Jelly Bean
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I initially placed the zip files in the root folder, but was not able to see them. I read somewhere that people create a folder named " Roms" or "Rom Folder" or something like that to place their rom files. I made a folder on the root of sd card Rom Folder, placed the RodimusROM inside, reboot to recovery, navigate to folder and voila, I have the rodimus rom.

Thanks takehull for bringing the info here.

Thank you for explaining this while I was at work

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Any chance of getting this thread stickied mods? It'd be nice have this and the thread on how to restore to stock at the top where people can see them.

Last edited:

r00t

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks takehull, everything went well. Can you add the saving procedures as well, I almost didn't backup.

Devcomm

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, active member on a few other forums related to Android and the Optimus V, but this seems to be my best bet to get some help with my issue. If not, and you could direct me somewhere better that would be awesome. Here is the outline:

Flashing seems to have completed, but when I reboot to recovery from adb I get a blue screen that says:

Fastboot mode started
gpio_i2c: invalid khz: 0
bl: i2c write error
udc_start()
-- suspend --
-- reset --
-- portchange --
-- reset --
-- portchange --
STALL GET_DESCRIPTOR 128 6 1006 0 18
fastboot: processing commands

and it just stays there. Buttons do nothing.

I pulled the battery and tried to manually enter recovery and I get the same blue screen but now it says:

Fastboot mode started
udc_start()

and it stops.

I also had the error when attempting to rename the recoveryinstall.sh file but read to just move on if this happens. Could that have any affect?

Any insight on what the problem is would be very much appreciated. I reflashed the stock recovery and it works fine for now, but would very much like to get this custom one working.

denshigomi

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I want to be able to revert to the stock recovery. Please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong or if there's a preferred method over what I am suggesting:
  • backup stock recovery
    1. root phone
    2. launch adb shell
    3. cat /proc/mtd
      dev: size erasesize name
      mtd0: 00700000 00020000 "boot"
      mtd1: 06e20000 00020000 "cache"
      mtd2: 00700000 00020000 "recovery"
      mtd3: 00140000 00020000 "splash"
      mtd4: 00100000 00020000 "FOTA_STO"
      mtd5: 0a480000 00020000 "system"
      mtd6: 0b2e0000 00020000 "userdata"
      mtd7: 00080000 00020000 "misc"
      mtd8: 00180000 00020000 "persist"​
    4. (recovery is located on mtd2)
    5. cat /dev/mtd/mtd2 > /sdcard/stock-recovery.img
    6. stock recovery backup is complete
  • flash custom recovery from this thread
  • flash stock recovery
    1. root phone
    2. launch adb shell
    3. mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
    4. cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
    5. chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
    6. mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /system /system
    7. flash_image recovery /sdcard/stock-recovery.img
    8. reboot recovery

Does this correctly backup and flash the stock recovery?
Thank you for your time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908