[Retired ROM] Aphrodite 1.3.3 (stable w/Xionia 005) (01apr11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
26 downloads already... Not bad.
I wish more would comment, but it's still early.

I'll look into the kernel update and see if I can at least enable allowing live wallpapers.

I'm still figuring this out and this was just what I made for myself and figured I would post it for others. I'm glad you all seem to like it so far though. So far it's doing everything I wanted it to do though.

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
this might or might not be an issue with this particular ROM but my MMS messages arent sending or receiving through either the stock messenger or GO SMS. when they did yesterday with the stock+ xionia.

maybe its a virgin mobile issue, but its just not working on my phone.

More likely it's VM...for my everything is working so far.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I use Zefies Xionia CWMA Recovery for the Optimus V:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/61431-xionia-goodies-optimus-v-edition.html

Mmmark111 uses this in his ROMTools and I HIGHLY recommend it.

I have yet to find a ROM it cannot flash properly and works with many Nandbackups from various other recoveries.

The only thing I have not been able to flash, regardless of recovery I tried was the restore to stock image that was posted a while back. It will not work for me. Luckily I have a Nandbackup from before I did anything.

shitsucks

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh, there it is. I had rooted the old fashioned way. And had ThunderC 1.2 recovery, I flashed recovery from Mmmark111 ROMTools about a dozen times but recovery was still ThunderC1.2. Looks like I had to add a v to the front of Mmmark111s recovery image. And it flashed CWMA....
Thanks again.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Version 1.1 is up.
Live Wallpaper will now work, but none are included (this resulted in a very minimal file size change). No live wallpaper is included.
That's the only change, and you can flash right over 1.0 with no issues.

I did some testing with later Xionias,
None will work easily with the V, they have issues with buttons (no big deal) but also wifi doesn't work on them (big problem). Xionia 006 made significant changes in how it works and is why no 2.2 roms use anything newer. Zefie is looking for someone who can continue work on it and fix the issues, but it seems no one has taken up the project. It will be a while before I can get to the point where I can correct it, if ever.

I'm still quite pleased with this rom as it is.

home key dont work
Try flashing again, it's not the rom. If you have trouble, re-download.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
1.2 is up.
The only change is that the Market update is built in (managed to grab it finally).

To update 1.0 or 1.1, remove the Market update, then flash this over the top or just leave it as is, the change is minimal.

THANK YOU! haha, i do love me some live wallpapers :D
You're welcome. :)

Last edited:

digitaljeannie

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
The GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk MUST be installed in /system/app in order for the search function to be operational.
VoiceSearch is another that needs to be in /system/app in order for it to function properly, not to mention Vending.apk

This was a valiant attempt at a streamlined ROM, however I don't think the OP took the time to truly understand the intricacies and requirements of how all the different apps function together and why some of them, while seemingly useless, still need to be there.
Great start, just need to learn a bit more about the OS and refine the ROM a bit, but I applaud the effort and I'm sure greater things are still yet to come from this.

I have the updated apk's for the ones that can be downloaded from the market as well as the updated vending.apk if you would like them to bake into the ROM.

I just did it all manually after flashing Xionia-VM, let everything update, then went in with adb & removed everything I wanted gone from /system/app, then the ones that updated from the market, moved over from /data/app to /system/app, then renamed the apk's from com.*whatever*.apk to original system app filenames, then rebooted to recovery, did a complete wipe & rebooted. A little convoluted but it works.

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
also search button does nothing, on the home screens, probably because lack of google search app/widget

i need the home button to work any idea what caused this? tried wiping and re installing the rom 3 times. same thing.

Check the files with the MD5, your download I think is corrupt. The home button definitely works.

As for search, download it from the marketplace and it will work fine.

The GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk MUST be installed in /system/app in order for the search function to be operational.
VoiceSearch is another that needs to be in /system/app in order for it to function properly, not to mention Vending.apk

{more}

Everything was done on purpose except for the live wallpaper functionality. I didn't realize I had completely disabled that. You can download the Google Search from Market if you wish, that was why it was removed. I don't use it and is easily put back. Voice search and Vending are both on the rom, I didn't notice those being updated but I will have a look. I left them because they are not easily put back in by those wanting them.

The rom functions exactly as I wanted. The idea is that yes, I removed some functions, such as search, I only removed those that can be easily put back in by anyone, simply by using the Market. Some don't use search, some do. Also, by doing this, you don't have files there, that cannot be updated, such as Maps, the update downloads a new version, but doesn't delete the old one because of its location, which wastes even more space. It's easily downloaded, so again, it was removed. I didn't indiscriminately just start removing things.

You can download everything from the Market to rebuild this back to how it was from Rev. or even Virgin for the most part without losing much, if any functionality, and it will be smaller than had you started with the other roms.

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Check the files with the MD5, your download I think is corrupt. The home button definitely works.

As for search, download it from the marketplace and it will work fine.

Everything was done on purpose except for the live wallpaper functionality. I didn't realize I had completely disabled that. You can download the Google Search from Market if you wish, that was why it was removed. I don't use it and is easily put back. Voice search and Vending are both on the rom, I didn't notice those being updated but I will have a look. I left them because they are not easily put back in by those wanting them.

The rom functions exactly as I wanted. The idea is that yes, I removed some functions, such as search, I only removed those that can be easily put back in by anyone, simply by using the Market. Some don't use search, some do. Also, by doing this, you don't have files there, that cannot be updated, such as Maps, the update downloads a new version, but doesn't delete the old one because of its location, which wastes even more space. It's easily downloaded, so again, it was removed. I didn't indiscriminately just start removing things.

You can download everything from the Market to rebuild this back to how it was from Rev. or even Virgin for the most part without losing much, if any functionality, and it will be smaller than had you started with the other roms.

I agree Leslie I just installed what I wanted and it worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.