[Retired ROM] Aphrodite 1.3.3 (stable w/Xionia 005) (01apr11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
This rom has been retired, please look into Harmonia, it's brethren.

Aphrodite 1.3.3 w/Xionia 005 For Optimus V (Updated 01apr11)

Aphrodite was the goddess of love, beauty and sexuality, all of which this rom embodies. In statues, she was often depicted as nude or nearly nude, which is also what this rom is. This rom is based on http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/58893-rom-stock-virgin-mobile-xionia-kernel-beta-2-a.html by RevolutionRed (who deserves a lot of the credit for this rom) but with much more removed, in other words, bare or nude, dress her as you see fit.

This rom has no theme, it's just basic 2.2.

Aphrodite Variations
1.x This rom will remain on the Xionia .005 kernel which has proven quite stable.
1.x Extra Pure, this uses the stock Virgin kernel (not overclockable), it is meant for those who have charging problems with other kernels.
2.x This rom will use the 1.x/android 2.2 base, but pushes the kernel forward and is therefore less stable.

Use at your own risk.
Fresh installs should wipe all, plus Dalvik (in advanced) to get the maximum space savings.
Please read the rest as some details are important.

Download here:
Aphrodite_1.3.3.zip
MD5 sum: 08262b59f3e48f48d04471091f4d5385
Older versions at the end of this post.

This rom has had everything removed that can within reason
What is here (just enough to get you going):
Xionia 005 Kernel
Activate
Email (not easily obtained from the Market, or it would be gone as well)
Gallery3d
Live wallpaper chooser
Market (updated)
Vendor updated
SuperUser
Swype!
Malware patch
speed tweaks
Search Widget
Normal utilities like phone, camera and such.

What was removed (the apps can be gotten from the Market):
Anything Virgin related besides the Activate App.
Gmail
Google Maps
Google Streetview
Most Wallpaper/all live wallpaper
Most ringtones
Other languages (English is all that is left, sorry)
Some of the alarms
Youtube

Notes:
In Recovery, use Wipe data/factory reset then go into advanced and wipe Dalvik cache to recover the full space and get the full potential from this rom.

This should work with Thunderc, Xionia and ROMTools by Mmmark111. (see below for links and recomendations)
The Activate shortcut auto deletes from the desktop on first boot, this is expected.
Not much more can safely be removed, not without creating issues or hassles.
Wipe or don't wipe (if using 2.2), you should be okay, but I would anyways. See the first note.
If you wipe everything, bear in mind that there is no boot animation included so you will see the Android logo longer than normal. Boot animations are easy to find and install.

Recommended recovery:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/61431-xionia-goodies-optimus-v-edition.html
It is what is used in Mmmark111's RomTools found here:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...3-1-ex-recoveryflasher-tons-new-features.html

Change Log
Changes in 1.3.3:
malware patch is built in
Changes in 1.3.2:
some build.prop tweaks corrected, thanks Mmarz
Changes in 1.3.1: REMOVED
build.prop tweaks.
These should increase performance and improve battery life. No change in size.
To update previous releases, just flash this over.
Changes in 1.3:
Search button is now fixed and everything should be the up to date, including vendor.apk.
This increases the size of the rom from v.1.0 by 1meg but again, after updates it's smaller then previous releases.
To update previous releases, just flash this over.
Changes in 1.2:
Market update is built in.
This increases the size of the rom and install, but is a little smaller compared to 1.0 or 1.1 once Market was updated.
To update 1.0 or 1.1, remove the Market update, then flash this over the top or leave things as is, this is a minor change.
Changes in 1.1:
Live wallpapers will now work. This resulted in a minimal size increase (just flash over 1.0, no problem)
No live wallpaper is included, but is verified to work with maps and Beautiful Live Weather Wallpaper.

Older downloads
Aphrodite_1.3.2.zip
Md5 sum: 77b7dfd2e383bd93cbaf37414b93a2f6
Aphrodite_1.3.zip
MD5 Sum: a9385a57215fc6349a68597d63ff17e8
Aphrodite_1.2.zip
MD5 Sum: df41a1778b64ece1735d6cb74f3abdb6
Aphrodite_1.1.zip
MD5 Sum: 5730cfdfdc4f7eded630c81f19b331b9
Aphrodite_1.0.zip
MD5 Sum: b27d105aa70275e051587ec7766c64c2

Original release: 23mar11
Update: Just adding more info, including kernel info and clarifications. (23mar11)
Update: Added Aphrodite 1.1 (24mar11)
Update: Added Aphrodite 1.2 (25mar11)
Update: Added Aphrodite 1.2 (27mar11)
Update: Added recovery links (29mar11)
Update: Added Aphrodite 1.3.1, changed post format to place older downloads at the end. (30mar11)
Update: Added Aphrodite 1.3.2(30mar11)
Update: Added Aphrodite 1.3.3(01apr11)
Update: Added version information (02apr11)

If you wish to donate,
I ask that you send them to Mmmark111, creator of Romtools. We can't allow a good dev to stop working.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...3-1-ex-recoveryflasher-tons-new-features.html

Last edited:

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
This sounds great. I will definably be trying it. I don't need swype (I use swiftkey), but I guess I can remove that myself ;) Thanks

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Genius, LeslieAnn! Thanks for this. I have no idea why other rom builders don't do this. Enough with the crapware already!

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

btw I do a LOT of photoshop work and im willing to put in the effort into making a legit full skin that unifies the entire OS. I need to know who to contact for including my work in a ROM.

im wanting to skin everything from the notification bar to the buttons on the dialer to the icons for the stock android apps.

While I am sure many would like that, the basis of this rom is a completely blank canvas to start from that you build upon to create your own.

It sounds like you want to do something like Cyanogen, that is well above my head. I'm still learning to build a rom from the ground up.

bswann

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
whyaphoenix, I would love to try the theme when you get it done. The way you are explaining the theme I am sure it will look awesome.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Does this rom have the stock kernel included, or does it already have xionia's by default like revolutionred's?

Yes, it has Xionia by default (added to the first post for clarity).

This is basically RevolutionRed's rom, stripped down to bare minimum.

I don't want to take anything away from his work (or him), he made an awesome rom, I just wanted something slightly tweaked and with a lower footprint is all. I know he's busy with school and such and had no idea when he would progress on it, basically I just continued with what he had done. You could almost call this Stock + Xionia beta 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: bswann

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it has Xionia by default (added to the first post for clarity).

This is basically RevolutionRed's rom, stripped down to bare minimum.

I don't want to take anything away from his work (or him), he made an awesome rom, I just wanted something slightly tweaked and with a lower footprint is all. I know he's busy with school and such and had no idea when he would progress on it, basically I just continued with what he had done. You could almost call this Stock + Xionia beta 3.

Hey Leslie nice work! I had the Stock + Xionia beta 2 and after I installed all my apps it seemed to have bogged down and became slightly unresponsive. With this rom I installed everything and it still runs great. I was wondering did you add any performance tweaks to this? Thx:D

antipasta

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if anything would be gained by it performance-wise, but it might be worthwhile to look into upgrading to the latest Xionia kernel for your rom.

RevolutionRed used v005 of the kernel, and there have definitely been later releases since then.

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
yeah, try looking into upgrading the kernel if you can. If you want to pick up where RevRed left off and improve upon that (as you seem to have inferred), then i think upgrading the kernel would be the next logical step.

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if anything would be gained by it performance-wise, but it might be worthwhile to look into upgrading to the latest Xionia kernel for your rom.

RevolutionRed used v005 of the kernel, and there have definitely been later releases since then.

Have there been any significant differences with the newer kernels? :-\

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
i just noticed that live wallpapers are non existant in this ROM. probably to save space, but it wont even let me apply new ones I downloaded.

not a biggie, just pointing it out :D

I just put wallpapers in my SD card (my_pix) folder then view them in gallery then hit menu-more-set as-wallpaper. and then I can crop as I wish on any picture!! cool!

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
yeah. normal wallpapers work fine

LIVE wallpapers dont exist in this rom apparently

O yeah sorry missed the LIVE part.lol Ya does anyone know what we can do?

I personally dont like the LIVE wallpaper because it makes my launcher lag a little but it is still nice to have. LESLIE?

Status
Not open for further replies.