Any way to change carrier name?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
You could try writing to their corporate offices with suggestions for a new name. I'm not sure how receptive they'll be, but it might work if you can think of a really cool name:
The Other Sprint
Second Base Mobile
Waiting for Marriage Mobile

maxpower49

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

nerdmastax

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
lol, thanks.. I tried that. Most of the information out there is for other phones or carriers. I’m wondering if anyone has gotten a mod like this to work for this specific phone.

I tried this method with no luck. It actually did change the title, but not to what I wanted to change it to. Instead is said “no roaming indicator” (or something to that effect).
its kinda messed up that its like that, i searched changing carrier name optimus v and this topic shows up. i hate seeing virgin. sends other people mixed messages till i say " umm its virgin mobile"

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
If you want to change the "Virgin Mobile" in the notification pull down menu, change this value in the build.prop:

ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Virgin Mobile

One catch, it might kill your 3G. :) (not really)

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If you want to change the "Virgin Mobile" in the notification pull down menu, change this value in the build.prop:

ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Virgin Mobile

One catch, it might kill your 3G. :) (not really)

Changed it and still showing as sprint.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Works for me using Rodimus.

You also have to reboot after making the change.

I rebooted and everything.
I compared your build.prop to asop and zefies there is so much difference and the one thing I notices as the carrier numric value. Tried changing that and it still shows as sprint. /shrug oh well. I was just gonna rename it to my RL last name to mess with people.

Thanks tho.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
lol, thanks.. I tried that. Most of the information out there is for other phones or carriers. I?m wondering if anyone has gotten a mod like this to work for this specific phone.

I tried this method with no luck. It actually did change the title, but not to what I wanted to change it to. Instead is said ?no roaming indicator? (or something to that effect).

I went and read that thread.
I tried that method then I read a couple posts below yours again.
Noticed that in the asop thread linked above they have a zip you push.

So I downloaded the zip and opened it on my pc.
First thing I noticed was a data folder, so I opened it and it has a eri file in it.
I opened it up and It has a bunch of different values from the one linked in the xda thread.

So I hit control+f and searched for sprint. I kinda felt dumb at that point it was in the top four lines hahahahah. I edited it what I wanted and copied it over to the data folder reboooted and BAM it said what I wanted it to say.

TL,DR?
Download the attached zip.
Extract the file.
Copy it to your sd card.

In terminal type this.

su
cd /sdcard
mv eri.xml /data/eri.xml
reboot

Your phone will reboot and it should say Virgin Mobile on the lock screen and in the drop down menu.

Reactions: r00t