[Kernel] Xionia Kernel (v014 - v008, & v005) For Optimus V (4/13/2011)

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
The port over to the Optimus V of these kernels was 99% the work of LeslieAnn. She should get all the praise. I guess zefie should get some credit seeing as how he created the kernels, debugged them, and put them online. Here is the original Optimus S thread for reference: http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...9-oc-kernel-xionia-kernel-2-6-32-33-v013.html

Here are the kernels ported over for use with the Optimus V:

xionia_kernel_005_bootimg_OptimusV_signed.zip (from Rodimus)
xionia_kernel_008_bootimg_OptimusV_signed.zip
xionia_kernel_009_bootimg_OptimusV_signed.zip
xionia_kernel_010_bootimg_OptimusV_signed.zip (updated 4/13/2011)(use anykernel version for CM7)
xionia_kernel_010_anykernel_OptimusV_signed.zip (updated 4/13/2011)(reload your backup and use this if you have issues with the bootimg version)(Works great on this S rom)
xionia_kernel_011_bootimg_OptimusV_signed.zip
xionia_kernel_012_bootimg_OptimusV_signed.zip
xionia_kernel_013_bootimg_OptimusV_signed.zip (use anykernel version for CM7)
xionia_kernel_013_anykernel_OptimusV_signed.zip (reload your backup and use this if you have issues with the bootimg version)
xionia_kernel_014_bootimg_OptimusV_signed.zip (4/13/2011)(taken from Zefie's Scott Pilgrim rom)(use anykernel version for CM7)
xionia_kernel_014_anykernel_OptimusV_signed.zip (4/13/2011)(reload your backup and use this if you have issues with the bootimg version)

Bonus! This is the kernel from the aospCMod rom in flash-able form:
aospCMod_kernel_OptimusV_signed.zip

Installation instructions:

1. Install the rom of your choice.
  2. Make a nandroid backup.
  3. Install the kernel on top using your recovery or Romtools.

These have not been thoroughly tested yet. You must have a nandroid backup if you ever want to uninstall them. You can flash from one kernel to the other with no ill effects (with the exception of the anykernel version of 013, only install that over your original rom). They should also work with the Optimus S roms that already use a Xionia Kernel. Install the S rom, and then install the modified kernel on top before rebooting. The bootimg kernels will remove the Sprint boot animation and hopefully remove all incompatibilities besides the home-menu key swap. The anykernel version will work on the S roms too, but the Sprint boot animation will stay.

Report bugs here, but I can't promise that we can fix them.

Please report your success stories as well. We want to know which Roms these kernels will work with. Don't forget to write which Rom you are using and which kernel you installed.

010 seems the be the most recent kernel that doesn't have the USB mass storage bug. Read here for the change log.

Known issues:
  • 014,013,012,011 - "Turn on USB storage" never confirms that the mode has been enabled (even though it has been enabled and you can access your card from your computer). As a result, you must go to Settings -> SD Card & Phone Storage -> Mount, to turn USB storage mode off and get your card mounted again.
  • 010,013,&014 anykernel - Swaps the Home and Menu keys when used with aospCMod rom. Switch them back using a button remapper app or editing the keyboard file located in: /system/usr/keylayout/ or try flashing this.
  • all bootimg - They do not work with CM7 (aosp & zefie's). Use the Anykernel version instead.

Last edited:

antipasta

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Already posted in one of the other threads, but just to reiterate I flashed this on top of the revolution red beta 2 rom and i'm really liking it.

It resolved an issue I had where I could not boot the phone when it was plugged into power, and on top of that the phone just feels like it's running more smoothly. Could be a bit of placebo effect, but it could also be that we're benefiting from like 8 releases worth of optimizations from v005 ;)

Will be sure to post again if I have any issues/notice anything else.

thanks very much LeslieAnn and mmarz for your contributions!

-joey

brokdikdog

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe any of the benefits of kernels 009 up will be seen on the optimus v. However, 013 is still way better than 005. We should have worked on getting 008 working well. Either way I finally got the toolchain to compile last night so I am probably going to start trying to get the source kernel for the v up and running and then tweak that.

Sent from my Optimus Stalker

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe any of the benefits of kernels 009 up will be seen on the optimus v. However, 013 is still way better than 005. We should have worked on getting 008 working well. Either way I finally got the toolchain to compile last night so I am probably going to start trying to get the source kernel for the v up and running and then tweak that.

(Removed)

Last edited:

brokdikdog

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
009 won't really offer benefits over 008 either. Also, I really think it is time to stop using optimus s kernels anyway. I am going to start tinkering with the source kernel as soon as I have some free time.

Reactions: wiggums66

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, they do have the same hardware, but hey, if you develop a better kernel, I'll be the first one to hop on the brokdikdog train.

brokdikdog

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, they do have the same hardware, but hey, if you develop a better kernel, I'll be the first one to hop on the brokdikdog train.

lol, Well I am not doing it for that purpose. While the Optimus S kernels have worked for the most part, and now that the accelerometer/key swapped issues have been figured out, compiling a V kernel from source instead of porting is less important. However, working on my own V kernel will help me keep learning more about developing for Android, which is just a hobby, and at the same time I think it can't be a bad idea to start working on the kernel that was for our phone, rather than one of the similar phones before it. While they are very much the same there are some differences that we have seen and probably some we haven't. Just looking at some of the source files you can see where certain things have changed between the S and V source.

Reactions: 00damedash

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Another issue with 013 is if you unmount a sdcard, and remove it, then put it back in, the system will not correctly mount it.

I play with so many kernels and things, you may want to double check this.

Also, be careful (on any 009 and 013), if the system is still booting up, connecting usb can cause a system reset.

Last edited:

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I just installed this on stock optimus V (after backup of course ^_^) but uh, my menu and home keys are swapped. Anyone else?

I'm 99% sure this kernel wasn't what switched your keys, but put this on your phone using root explorer to fix the keys: thunder_keypad.kl

Place it in this folder: /system/usr/keylayout/

And then reboot.

Last edited:

psygn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
It crashed on me twice whenever I was scrolling a list using MyFitnessPal, which never happened before.

On the good side, things are snappy and the wireless hotspot works without drain during a power charge.

Thanks!

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Who would we send a bug report or are we SOL till a capable dev picks this up or releases a kernel?

Zefie created this kernel, but I don't think he's down to develop it for the V. Just post your issues here. We can see if there is a work around or if the issue exists in other versions of the kernel.

I know there are a few people trying to develop a custom kernel for the V. Be patient for now.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
It crashed on me twice whenever I was scrolling a list using MyFitnessPal, which never happened before.

On the good side, things are snappy and the wireless hotspot works without drain during a power charge.

Thanks!

Are you overclocking? If so, what clock speed? Does it still crash if you lower the speed a notch or two?