[Kernel] Xionia Kernel (v014 - v008, & v005) For Optimus V (4/13/2011)

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I think I may have found where the USB bug is originating. I'm still investigating, so I may not be 100% correct, but there are several differences in the USB code between the official Sprint and Virgin sources. I believe that the bug may be from compiling kernels for the V using the Sprint version of the USB code. I'll keep looking into it and see if I can figure this out.

Well, the 010 and below S kernels don't have this issue. I think the bug may have appeared due to updating to 2.6.32.33. But what do I know? I really should try compiling the Xionia Kernel. Right now, I'm just playing Frankenstein with the body parts laying in front of me.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Restore is best, but you can also flash the zip(no guarantees).

Isnt the process to flash a rom go like this?

Flash ROm
Flash gAPPS
Then custom kernel (if used)

Wouldnt you want to restore then flash the kernel since you have been using the phone?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Isnt the process to flash a rom go like this?

Flash ROm
Flash gAPPS
Then custom kernel (if used)

Wouldnt you want to restore then flash the kernel since you have been using the phone?

I was assuming that his backup was already using 005. In which case, restoring it would be his only step. With all of the bootimg versions, you can simply flash from one to the other with no ill effects. But f you want to go back to the kernel your rom originally had, a restore is best because the kernels I uploaded have little tweaks to them.

The reason they want you to flash the kernel last is because most if not all roms come with one built in. So any kernel you have gets wiped when you install a new rom. The same goes for a restore. It will replace your kernel.

I just uploaded the aospCMod kernel. Now if you forgot to make a backup, you can flash back using this.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Can someone explain to me what a kernel does? I'm still kinda learning :s

A Kernel is the portion of your phone that handles all of the low level hardware tasks: the drivers, the cpu, the sensors, the touchscreen....ect.

It can be used to enable overclocking, undervolting, and bug fixes as well as change non essential things such as the first boot screen animation.

Roms contain your base programs and your basic theme. The Rom determines what version of the android operating system you are using. Roms are almost always bundled with a compatible Kernel. So the line between what a Rom is and what a Kernel is often get blurred.

Reactions: RavenSEAL

RavenSEAL

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
A Kernel is the portion of your phone that handles all of the low level hardware tasks: the drivers, the cpu, the sensors, the touchscreen....ect.

It can be used to enable overclocking, undervolting, and bug fixes as well as change non essential things such as the first boot screen animation.

Roms contain your base programs and your basic theme. The Rom determines what version of the android operating system you are using. Roms are almost always bundled with a compatible Kernel. So the line between what a Rom is and what a Kernel is often get blurred.

Thanks for the answer!

Now, one more question. If i were to change to this Kernel, taking into account that i just went from stock with ROMTools, to aospCM7mod, what kind of benefits would i gain from this?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the answer!

Now, one more question. If i were to change to this Kernel, taking into account that i just went from stock with ROMTools, to aospCM7mod, what kind of benefits would i gain from this?

If ain't broke, don't fix it. You won't gain anything if nothing is broken with that kernel. The 010 kernel fixes one small bug with multitouch: http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/76840-multitouch-issues.html

Otherwise, I don't know enough about these kernels to tell you what advantages they have. I was hoping that by posting them, you guys could try them and report back any increases in performance.

prime0025

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I am currently running RodimusROM v1.2.3 with Xionia Kernel 005 and I have read somewhere that flashing an updated Xionia Kernel the charging bug would be fixed.

Which Xionia Kernel should I flash and would I have to wipe everything and do a fresh install of the rom to then flash the kernel or can I just flash the kernel now?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I am currently running RodimusROM v1.2.3 with Xionia Kernel 005 and I have read somewhere that flashing an updated Xionia Kernel the charging bug would be fixed.

Which Xionia Kernel should I flash and would I have to wipe everything and do a fresh install of the rom to then flash the kernel or can I just flash the kernel now?

I think they all fix the bug. You just flash it over your current setup. Make a backup in case you want to uninstall. These are all experimental so there is no recommended one. You are the guinea pig. Read the first page and the change log and decide for yourself.

prime0025

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't really know too much about kernels so I have a few questions.

Can different kernels have an affect on battery life? Will the kernel I flash always be my kernel or does each rom I flash have its own kernel?

I'm currently running RodimusROM v1.2.3 with xionia 010 kernel and feel like I was getting better battery life with the xionia 005 kernel.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Can different kernels have an affect on battery life? Will the kernel I flash always be my kernel or does each rom I flash have its own kernel?

I'm currently running RodimusROM v1.2.3 with xionia 010 kernel and feel like I was getting better battery life with the xionia 005 kernel.

The kernel can effect battery life. I don't know which of these kernels will give you the best battery life. I haven't noticed any difference between them. Most roms come with their own kernel. You'll have to flash your choice kernel again. If you really want to know which kernel has the best battery life, contribute to my thread here: http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...344-measure-your-battery-life-brag-about.html

And I'm going to use the data to figure out the effect of the different components.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Yes, kernels can dramatically effect battery life. Is it worse? hard to say, often while trying something new we tend to play a bit and use more battery.

Roms will have a kernel, but obviously you can change it, without a kernel it may as well just be a theme.

Xionia 005 was the first and last (working) kernel actually ported over over for us directly (I believe). The ones here are all Optimus S kernels that Marzz put together for easy flashing based on the work I did with Zeffie's kernels. These are still completely unmodified S kernels, which is why things aren't perfect. The 010 seems to be the newest we can use that is reasonably reliable, but even I'm not convinced that it's any better than 005.

Picasticks' kernel is likely where we will be heading, being that it is a true Optimus V kernel built from the ground up.

prime0025

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a lot guys for the information.

The reason I ask is because I used to have RodimusROM v1.2.3 with the stock xionia 005 kernel it came with and battery life was great. I then went with aospcmod for a little bit and ended up going back to Rodimus. The second time around on Rodimus though I flashed the xionia 010 kernel because of the charging bug and feel like batrery life isn't as good.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Any of the newer kernels any better than these?

You mean picasticks and Bumblebee? They seem more stable since they were created from the OV source and these were cobbled together from OS. These have more "mods" added to them. You can check the change log for the mods. Instead of thinking of the kernels as better or worse, considered them different flavors of ice cream. Everyone likes something different. In the end, they are all just sugar and fat.

one80oneday

Jan 25, 2011
twitter.com
You mean picasticks and Bumblebee? They seem more stable since they were created from the OV source and these were cobbled together from OS. These have more "mods" added to them. You can check the change log for the mods. Instead of thinking of the kernels as better or worse, considered them different flavors of ice cream. Everyone likes something different. In the end, they are all just sugar and fat.

Yeah seems like there's a lot more OS/OV ROMS since this thread was updated. Really only interested in performance and battery life since I don't use any if the other mods. Any recommendations or should I just try them all?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I have tried them all.... and they are all pretty much the same when it comes to performance and battery life.

For performance, the kernels score similarly, and the benchmarks are too inconsistent to pick any one of them as faster. In real world use with all things being the same, I can't tell the difference between the kernels.

For battery life, my guess is that they will also behave in the same away. I have only tested the stock kernel and Xionia while using the same rom. Their power draw was identical. All things being equal, the kernel will not change your battery life.

That is what I've observed so far. Maybe there will be some magic kernel mod that changes that. It just hasn't happened yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781