[Kernel] Xionia Kernel (v014 - v008, & v005) For Optimus V (4/13/2011)

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah seems like there's a lot more OS/OV ROMS since this thread was updated. Really only interested in performance and battery life since I don't use any if the other mods. Any recommendations or should I just try them all?

For the OS kernels, really the only ones to mess with are the 005, which has long been a good kernel and used in a few roms, 008 and 010 which have been shown to be a pretty good alternative, and 013 or 014, both of which are the latest, these have some usb issues.

If you want a simple easy to mess around with setup:
Aphrodite 1.3.3 uses 005
2.0 beta uses the 013
2.0 standard uses 008
2.0.1 uses 010.

Once you get one installed, you can flash between all of them without wiping.

1.3.3 is by far the most popular, with 2.0.1 trailing it by quite a bit.
It's sort of become the go-to rom for anyone not running Rodimus or CM7, though I suspect Harmonia may take over that duty. In less than 24 hours it has had almost 25% of the total downloads of 1.3.3. and closing in on 2.0.1

If you want to play, try 013 or 014,
If you want a usable phone to play with and experiment, 010
If you just want a awesome running phone, go with 005, or one of the newer V based kernels like Picasticks.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Leslie wouldn't it be better for everyone to use either Pica or Bumble kernels since they are based off the V source? I am currently using the Bumble kernel and my phone runs so much faster on Rodimus than with any of the Xionia kernels.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I see nothing wrong with it, and when this thread started, we didn't have those other kernels.

I suspect that the S kernels will start to fade in favor of V kernels on their own but for now, these are still relevant. Pretty much every major rom is still based on Xionia and only one really built around the new kernels. We are in a transitional phase, give it a month or two and odds are these will be a thing of the past.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I see nothing wrong with it, and when this thread started, we didn't have those other kernels.

I suspect that the S kernels will start to fade in favor of V kernels on their own but for now, these are still relevant. Pretty much every major rom is still based on Xionia and only one really built around the new kernels. We are in a transitional phase, give it a month or two and odds are these will be a thing of the past.

Sorry wasn't trying to imply that the Xionia kernels are worthless. The OV Source kernels are really new. I am just surprised, I guess, at how much better the ROMs run on our kernels. All the froyo roms I've tried with these kernels seem to respond faster with them. :)

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Isnt the cm7/asop/2.3 roms suppose to run the xionia kernels?

I mean I think picasticks said zefie says use the xionia for 2.3 roms and pica for 2.2 roms.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Isnt the cm7/asop/2.3 roms suppose to run the xionia kernels?

I mean I think picasticks said zefie says use the xionia for 2.3 roms and pica for 2.2 roms.

True, but after playing with the Cyanogen roms, I wouldn't go flashing a new kernel to it. Everything in them is quite integrated it seems. What you think won't be an issue, very easily can be.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
True, but after playing with the Cyanogen roms, I wouldn't go flashing a new kernel to it. Everything in them is quite integrated it seems. What you think won't be an issue, very easily can be.

Right just wanted to make sure people understand picasticks is not really designed for 2.3.
I would love to try these kernel and even the roms but I like the 2.3 roms. Froyo was/is awesome but the cm7 roms are what I was looking for on my DX. Just sucks that the DX users are stuck with basically themed roms. Having to intergrate certain motocrap with the asop sucks balls. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a custom rom IMO.

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
aosp comes with a better, newer kernel built from the latest android source. Xiona is a 2.3 cm7 kernel if im not mistaken... Going from xiona 008 to bumblee (2.2 virgin source) made my phone a lot more stable and better battery life. Seems slightly more responsive too.

idbl_fanatic

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
aosp comes with a better, newer kernel built from the latest android source. Xiona is a 2.3 cm7 kernel if im not mistaken... Going from xiona 008 to bumblee (2.2 virgin source) made my phone a lot more stable and better battery life. Seems slightly more responsive too.

So, can we install this kernel on Xionia ROM? Or is this a 2.3 Kernel?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
These kernels were created for the Optimus S and ported over to the V. This was done before a functional source was available for the V. They were the first kernels to allow overclocking and other goodies on the V. The newer kernels that were built from the original V source should work better on the V. I don't recommend using these xiona kernels. Not because there is anything "bad" with them, but they are no longer being developed. Any bugs that do pop up will never be fixed.

staticmaal

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
The port over to the Optimus V of these kernels was 99% the work of LeslieAnn. She should get all the praise. I guess zefie should get some credit seeing as how he created the kernels, debugged them, and put them online. Here is the original Optimus S thread for reference: http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...9-oc-kernel-xionia-kernel-2-6-32-33-v013.html

Here are the kernels ported over for use with the Optimus V:

xionia_kernel_005_bootimg_OptimusV_signed.zip (from Rodimus)
xionia_kernel_008_bootimg_OptimusV_signed.zip
xionia_kernel_009_bootimg_OptimusV_signed.zip
xionia_kernel_010_bootimg_OptimusV_signed.zip (updated 4/13/2011)(use anykernel version for CM7)
xionia_kernel_010_anykernel_OptimusV_signed.zip (updated 4/13/2011)(reload your backup and use this if you have issues with the bootimg version)(Works great on this S rom)
xionia_kernel_011_bootimg_OptimusV_signed.zip
xionia_kernel_012_bootimg_OptimusV_signed.zip
xionia_kernel_013_bootimg_OptimusV_signed.zip (use anykernel version for CM7)
xionia_kernel_013_anykernel_OptimusV_signed.zip (reload your backup and use this if you have issues with the bootimg version)
xionia_kernel_014_bootimg_OptimusV_signed.zip (4/13/2011)(taken from Zefie's Scott Pilgrim rom)(use anykernel version for CM7)
xionia_kernel_014_anykernel_OptimusV_signed.zip (4/13/2011)(reload your backup and use this if you have issues with the bootimg version)

Bonus! This is the kernel from the aospCMod rom in flash-able form:
aospCMod_kernel_OptimusV_signed.zip

Installation instructions:

1. Install the rom of your choice.
  2. Make a nandroid backup.
  3. Install the kernel on top using your recovery or Romtools.

These have not been thoroughly tested yet. You must have a nandroid backup if you ever want to uninstall them. You can flash from one kernel to the other with no ill effects (with the exception of the anykernel version of 013, only install that over your original rom). They should also work with the Optimus S roms that already use a Xionia Kernel. Install the S rom, and then install the modified kernel on top before rebooting. The bootimg kernels will remove the Sprint boot animation and hopefully remove all incompatibilities besides the home-menu key swap. The anykernel version will work on the S roms too, but the Sprint boot animation will stay.

Report bugs here, but I can't promise that we can fix them.

Please report your success stories as well. We want to know which Roms these kernels will work with. Don't forget to write which Rom you are using and which kernel you installed.

010 seems the be the most recent kernel that doesn't have the USB mass storage bug. Read here for the change log.

Known issues:
  • 014,013,012,011 - "Turn on USB storage" never confirms that the mode has been enabled (even though it has been enabled and you can access your card from your computer). As a result, you must go to Settings -> SD Card & Phone Storage -> Mount, to turn USB storage mode off and get your card mounted again.
  • 010,013,&014 anykernel - Swaps the Home and Menu keys when used with aospCMod rom. Switch them back using a button remapper app or editing the keyboard file located in: /system/usr/keylayout/ or try flashing this.
  • all bootimg - They do not work with CM7 (aosp & zefie's). Use the Anykernel version instead.
So will these kernels work with any rom besides the ones that says for CM7 and the other one?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Which one of these would work best for the stock ROM? I'm just looking for a good kernel to overclock with.

I would recommend going for a whole rom.

A good rom at stock speed is just as fast as the stock rom with all bloat and junk overclocked by 150mhz. Even if you remove the junk, you will still have the TWS issue, less battery and less speed.

You will spend weeks and months trying to get anywhere close to what a good rom will do for you in a 5 minutes.

bigcat73

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend going for a whole rom.

A good rom at stock speed is just as fast as the stock rom with all bloat and junk overclocked by 150mhz. Even if you remove the junk, you will still have the TWS issue, less battery and less speed.

You will spend weeks and months trying to get anywhere close to what a good rom will do for you in a 5 minutes.

Hmm I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up. I've been reading up on some here lately. I used to be scared to death of flashing a rom, but the more I read makes me realize that you just need to be careful and follow directions. Kind of off topic, but I haven't even activated my phone yet because I can't port my number from Verizon until the beginning of July. Can I root, flash a custom recovery, and start flashing roms before my phone is activated, or will this interfere with activation with VM?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay