Porting ROMs?

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from a Motorola Droid 2. While that phone had a locked bootloader and limited development compared to other phones, it did have a few really well done, stable ROMs that offered A LOT of customization.

While we have some really nice ROMs for the Optimus V, I don't see the level of customize-ability as I did with some other ROMs.

This leads me to question the process of porting a ROM from a phone of a completely different platform. Surely something must be possible seeing as these phones don't lock us out from doing much of anything compared to something like a Droid 2.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction on this? If I have to learn about making ROMs and do it myself, that's fine. I just don't know where to start!

Here's an example of one of the ROMs I wish we had something similar to:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=939595
I've already written the development team to ask them if they know any information about the process..

Reactions: thexxoffspring

thexxoffspring

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from a Motorola Droid 2. While that phone had a locked bootloader and limited development compared to other phones, it did have a few really well done, stable ROMs that offered A LOT of customization.

While we have some really nice ROMs for the Optimus V, I don't see the level of customize-ability as I did with some other ROMs.

This leads me to question the process of porting a ROM from a phone of a completely different platform. Surely something must be possible seeing as these phones don't lock us out from doing much of anything compared to something like a Droid 2.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction on this? If I have to learn about making ROMs and do it myself, that's fine. I just don't know where to start!

[ROM]One small step for man one giant leap for --- Liberty 1.5 2/2/2011 - xda-developers
I've already written the development team to ask them if they know any information about the process..

try coming from a droid 1 where we have every customizable option out there lol. i really would like to see miui on here or a cyan rom without MMS issues.

liquidmass

Dec 29, 2010
optimusv.wikispaces.com
that does look like a VERY nice ROM! WooW. Porting would really require you to have three sources most likely, LG's Optimus V source (available) Droid 2 source and the Liberty Source... first I suppose would be to compare the Liberty source vs. the Droid 2 source and figure out what was done with the hardware. Then try to do the same things with the Optimus v hardware using their source. I don't see this being too easy considering hardware is so different and so is the code that makes use of it. But I'm sure with enough time it would definitely be possible. There are many good threads on XDA about cooking your own ROM's, they even have the xPerfect Android environment, a complete bootable/installable version of Linux pre-loaded with everything you need to get cooking. Good luck!

xPerfect Full Android Development Environment | xda-developers

mmmark111

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

[ROM]One small step for man one giant leap for --- Liberty 1.5 2/2/2011 - xda-developers

0_o what am I, chopped liver?

overthinkingme

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
The community is still growing around the v. How old is the device?
Patience is key.

As an end user of course I'd also like a large mature community of users and developers like in my old nexus or hd2. But those didn't appear overnight.

I'm thankful for the development we have going on because java is an ugly language and I can't even begin to imagine how much work it is to port, mod and theme all while keeping the phone stable.. and for free. Thank you devs, I look forward to more awesome mods and roms :D

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Ive asked one of the dev of Liberty about a port for our phone. He is working with the new thunderbolt and pretty much left liberty to sit for now.

The biggest problem with porting roms to our phone is its not a high end phone like the thunderbolt. Or any other on contract phone. Ive bugged the vrap out a couple other themers for a port to cm7 and they are "working" on it.

Sadly until we get some more heads in here we prolly wont get many of the customs roms like you are asking about.