Measure Your Battery Life and Brag About It!

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I have been doing some tests trying to see how much battery life I can squeeze out of the Optimus V. Here are my previous posts:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/71693-optimizing-battery-drain-optimus-v.html
http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...attery-drain-optimization-tests-part-2-a.html
http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...es-block-apps-using-3g-wifi-save-battery.html

What I want to do in this thread is get some real world data. If you want to help out here is what you can do:

1. Charge your phone up to 100% (preferably after you have done a reset on the battery gauge)
  2. Unplug your phone from the charger.
  3. Use your phone like normal making sure to not plug it back into the charger.
  4. After some time (the longer the better), go to Settings -> About -> Status and write down the battery level percentage.
  5. Now go to Settings -> About -> Battery Use and write down the time since unplugged.
Use this little equation to calculate your total battery life:

Total battery life = ( [Time since unplugged] hr * 100) / (100 - [battery level %] )

So for example, if you have 20hr 4m since you unplugged and your battery is at 72%:

Total Battery Life = ( [20+4/60] hr *100) / (100 - 72) = 71.67 hr

Try to use up at least 25% of your battery before doing this calculation.

Next I want you to post your results here in the following format:

Total Battery Life =
Kernel =
Rom =
Min/Max CPU =
Governor =
Data =
Data Sleep Policy =
Voip =
Usage =

Kernel and Rom you can find in Settings -> About. Min/Max CPU speeds and governor can be found in your Overclocking app settings, or in CM7's extra settings. If you don't over/underclock, just write "stock". For Data, I am asking if you primarily used 3G or Wifi during the test and if 3G or Wifi was set to turn off when the screen turned off. For Voip, I am asking if you use a voip client tat is constantly registered. Under Usage, I am looking for light/medium/heavy and a rough explanation of what that entails. Here is an example:

Total Battery Life = 71.67 hr
Kernel = Xionia v010
Rom = RodimusRom
Min/Max CPU = 806/806 Mhz
Governor = Interactive
Data = Wifi
Data Sleep Policy = 3G and Wifi never off.
Voip = Yes
Usage = Light: Surfed the web a bit, but mostly on standby. I do have the firewalls installed so that only Gtalk, Google Voice, Email, and CSipSimple can access the web while on standby.

Thank you for helping out!!!! Please try to keep the chit chat to a minimum. PM me if you have questions. Post as many sets of results as you'd like.

Last edited:

cpshelley2

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
(battery level was 63% at time of calculation, uptime was 14h 44m)

Total Battery Life = 39.86 hr
Kernel = Xionia 05
Rom = Aphrodite 1.3.3
Min/Max CPU = 122 / 729
Governor = interactive
Data = 3G
Data Sleep Policy = 3G off when screen off
Voip = none
Usage = heavy, constant texting and slashdotting/farking over 3G, screen brightness @ 20% and backlight on time was 3h 46m 54s

Reactions: mmarz

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
11 hrs 48 min 68%

Total Battery Life = 36.875
Kernel = 2.6.32.33-aospCMod
Rom = aospCMod-OV-20110403
Min/Max CPU = 600/787
Governor = interactive
Data = 3g for the 10 hours at work, wifi at home
Data Sleep Policy = never (but turned off manually when I leave the house, back on when I get home)
Voip = none
Usage = light/medium: 6 short calls, dozens of webpages, email every 1/2 hour, 20 or so sms, tested camera, checked tower access with OpenSignal then stopped the service, 20 minutes of music while getting ready this morning
Backlight on time = 1 hour 1min 38sec (I do things fast, then press the power button and back into the pocket it goes)

Not sure if it matters, but I've swapped the PRL to the latest hybrid, and I'm trying to determine if it is having an impact on battery performance. I used to only connect to one tower at home, now I connect to 4 different towers, and my battery drain from cell seems less. Will let you know what I find.

Edit--------------------
Todays results had an issue, had some trouble with 3G service, saw the 1x symbol for over an hour and a half, this reduced my total battery life to 25 hours for today (by the calculations above). Searching for 3G seems to be a big drain.

Edit2------------------
Todays results are about the same as yesterdays, had a period with no 3G, and ended up at 50% after 12 hours, giving me 24 total

Will post again with more results.

Last edited:

Camwinnn

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Think my results are garbage :p didnt see this before, was testing standby, at 5am was 100% woke up at 10am to 99-98% so had 5or6 good hours of standby (3g on). Accounting for that i took off 5hours on uptime, Now cant explain how such little usage killed it so fast.

(53%left, 10h 51m uptime)

Total Battery Life = 23.08
Kernel = stock aospCMod 04/15
Rom = aospCMod 04/15
Min/Max CPU = 245/806mhz
Governor = Interactive
Data = 3g&Wifi
Data Sleep Policy = 3G never (wifi was one for a second)
Voip = no
Usage = medium: 4short calls, random texting, ATK set to kill apps on screen off, gmail, LWP, played music for 2-3hours, used navigation for 10minutes, then 1app via wifi (turned on an off for that app)

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Think my results are garbage :p didnt see this before, was testing standby, at 5am was 100% woke up at 10am to 99-98% so had 5or6 good hours of standby (3g on). Accounting for that i took off 5hours on uptime, Now cant explain how such little usage killed it so fast.

That's fine. All this data will help. You can measure and post as many times as you'd like.

cpshelley2

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
mmarz, i meant to post another data set but i had to reboot for some reason and lost the stats >.<

i'll get the 245/729 numbers after i finish a charge...

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
mmarz, i meant to post another data set but i had to reboot for some reason and lost the stats >.<

i'll get the 245/729 numbers after i finish a charge...

Yeah, I've actually meant to post more sets as well, but it's hard to do when you're applying mods every few hours and rebooting. I really appreciate the effort! Thanks!

cpshelley2

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I've actually meant to post more sets as well, but it's hard to do when you're applying mods every few hours and rebooting. I really appreciate the effort! Thanks!

you're welcome!!

i've also been keeping really odd hours... i can't help but get distracted and stay up all night playing with my phone ^_^

like right now, my charge is complete, but i don't want to unplug it and start a set right now because i'll be going to bed soon (hopefully) -- i'd much rather unplug after waking up and give you a set from a day's usage, rather than unplugging it now and having 8+ hours of idle time at the beginning of the test...

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Total Battery Life = 65.56 hr
Kernel = Xionia v014
Rom = Aphrodite
Min/Max CPU = 600/806 Mhz
Governor = Interactive
Data = Wifi
Voip = Yes
Usage = Light: Made a few calls totaling 15 mins. Sent and received some texts.

olmos.lalo

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
snap20110321_160255.png

snap20110321_160259.png

LG Optimus S
Kernel = Xionia v014
Tom= Zefie cm7
Min/Max CPU = 122/600 Mhz
Governor = Interactive
Data = Little 3G
Data Sleep Policy = 3G never off, wifi screen off
Usage = Medium/light : texting all day at school. 10 mins of 3g for dictionary.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

lift3d

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Total Battery Life = 65.56 hr
Kernel = Xionia v014
Rom = Aphrodite
Min/Max CPU = 600/806 Mhz
Governor = Interactive
Data = Wifi
Voip = Yes
Usage = Light: Made a few calls totaling 15 mins. Sent and received some texts.

stats like that - think im going to recompile some ****

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Olmos.lalo, obviously that's not right. I think you need to recalibrate your battery meter. That or teach us how you reversed the laws of thermodynamics. You have an "estimated" battery life of 835 hrs.

Thanks for posting though!

nin

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Total Battery Life = 67.15 hrs (pretty sure I calculated right.
Kernel =Xionia 005
Rom = Aphrodite 1.32(?)
Min/Max CPU =320/729
Governor =interactive
Data = wifi (3g off at home and school)
Data Sleep Policy = none
Voip= none
Usage = heavy texting, moderate games, moderate browsing, couple calls, heavy usage of documents2go

For some reason Drop shows up but Shoot Bubble doesn't although I played it a lot more. Not even sure if most apps are suppose to show up.

batau.png

olmos.lalo

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
This was after calibration ;-)
Please take note this was very light usage with setcpu on 122/320 when screen off.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
This was after calibration ;-)
Please take note this was very light usage with setcpu on 122/320 when screen off.

This is really interesting to me how you are getting these results.

No matter what you are doing with the phone, 1% use means that you used up 15mAh over the course of 8.35 hours. That means your average current draw was 1.8mA. With everything turned off and the phone on idle, the phone draws at least 2mA. Just having the screen on for a few minutes will use up more than 15mAh.

Ok, how about this? Use up 50-30% of the battery and post again. Lets average it over a more substantial chunk of the battery life.

olmos.lalo

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Well this was a while back but at the time I took the snapshot I began using wifi and my battery lasted another 3-4 hours of Youtube streaming xD. I don't mean this as to brag I am mysefl surprised by this wierd "error" I am going to recalibrate my battery, havent done it in a while.

Camwinnn

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
wu1fyd.png

(26%left)

Total Battery Life = 32.61
Kernel = stock aospCMod 04/15
Rom = aospCMod 04/15
Min/Max CPU = 806/806
Governor = interactive
Data = 3g
Data Sleep Policy = none (firewall thing done)
Voip= none
Usage = Very light, 98%standby, few texts, lowest brightness, ATK to kill all on screen off

probably should have went longer, since 32 is what i got for total with 26% left but started filling this in after it was charging. Battery stats were cleared prior.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon