Installing "e2fsck" on Froyo for use with ext partitions/scripts. (data2ext)

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
The e2fsck binary is needed for scripts such as data2ext to function. The Gingerbread (2.3.3) roms (CM7) have it built in. The Froyo roms (2.2.1) do not. Actually I did find one froyo rom that had it, and that was CM6. So I pulled the binary from there.

I pushed the binary to /system/bin and chmod it to make it executable. When testing the binary I get another error. "CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE". Anyone know how to get this binary running? it is essential to getting data2ext working on many of the popular Froyo 2.2.1 roms.

Last edited:

Delphis

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
yes, it's because it's from a different build of android and is relying on different libraries. I can't tell which ones since Android doesn't seem to have an 'ldd' command either. I am going to get the Android NDK set up and compile one for Froyo. I too found that same binary and tried it. I posted something a while ago asking if someone had a working one for Froyo and never heard anything.

Delphis

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Good luck. I for one, hope you can pull it off. Funny how something so trivial, can slow us down. Thanks for the help.

Yea, I am trying to find out why the filesystem is getting unmounted uncleanly too. ext2 really hates that. I've used ext2 filesystems for *years* and it seems like the phone is doing the equivalent of turning the computer off without shutting down properly. It's very bad and I would like to solve that. Using a journaling filesystem will help save from corruption but it has to recover the journal every time you boot so that's not optimal either, since microsd cards tend not to have wear-levelling so the place where the journal is written to could fail much sooner than expected.

If you have access to a Linux machine you can, of course, run e2fsck on that to help sort out your filesystem.

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I think I got it, with the help of a member over at xda.

You need to obtain the libext* files also. They are in the /system/lib folder. Once you push those, it should work. He said you could also use a static binary, if I could only find it...

I found 6 I think.

libext2_blkid.so
libext2_com_err.so
libext2_e2p.so
libext2_profile.so
libext2_uuid.so
libext2fs.so

Delphis

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I think I got it, with the help of a member over at xda.

You need to obtain the libext* files also. They are in the /system/lib folder. Once you push those, it should work. He said you could also use a static binary, if I could only find it...

I found 6 I think.

libext2_blkid.so
libext2_com_err.so
libext2_e2p.so
libext2_profile.so
libext2_uuid.so
libext2fs.so

Cool, thanks for the help. I believe I have downloaded those now (e2fsck and libraries) and will give it a go some time this evening.

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
If anyone else runs across this thread. Here are the files. They were pulled from aospCMOD 04/15. Push to /system/bin and /system/lib. The binaries will need chmod'ed to make them executable ofcourse.

bin Directory
e2fsck
mke2fs
tune2fs

lib Directory
libext2_blkid.so
libext2_com_err.so
libext2_e2p.so
libext2_profile.so
libext2_uuid.so
libext2fs.so

Download: misc.zip