[ROM] Harmonia 1.87 Froyo (Aphrodite+Picasticks) 12June12

benslgdroid

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM] Harmonia 1.3.1 (Aphrodite+Picasticks) 16July11 (2.2 bit

I've tried to flash the notification bars but I keep losing about half my apps and when I try to restore through titanium it says install failed and I have to restore through xoinia.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

I don't use Twitter or Facebook or any of that stuff.

I'm not happy with how these updates are working. They seem very iffy for some people. I'm not sure what the best way to deal with it all is either. Google upped security on some of it, making it very difficult to make some of this stuff work properly and it is only getting more difficult to work with Froyo so I may be transitioning to GB here really soon after all.

For those wanting a better description of the issue and the future of Froyo roms and Harmonia in particular...
(Keep in mind this may not be 100% accurate or technically correct, but should give an idea of what we are facing).

Messing with an image or two inside a file doesn't effect the signing, this is why Harmonia worked fine for so long. In order to add the power button menu, you have to modify several files to the point that they need to be re-signed to match. This is where things go bad.

See, when you do the power button mod you have to re-sign several files, which then have to match several other important system files for security reasons. Otherwise your rom will not properly flash. This was the problem Obijohn had the first time he made the mod for BB and the problem that held me up for so long (making be extremely frustrated). The solution was to re-sign a bunch of the system files.

Google released updates to some of these files and that breaks the signing. The updates have to be re-signed. It's only a few files, the problem is that the more files you re-sign, the more dependency files that need to be re-signed. Each time you re-sign a file, you break the auto updating from the market. If you fix it to not break the market update feature, you break the ability to flash the rom as a single zip. Worse, Google now wants even more of the signings to match for security reasons.

None of this would be an issue if we could replicate Google's signing, but we can't, which means a losing battle on Froyo as I try to keep up with updates and resigning everything to make it all mesh. AOSP however doesn't have this sort of limitation because this stuff is built in.
Then there is the fact that the new market seems unstable in it's own anyhow.

Basically it is snowballing into a massive project that will be impossible to keep up with.
The best option I can see is to revert back to an earlier system and let the Google apps update, this will eat up space, but at least allows things to work and update without causing an avalanche of issues and begin working on a version based on AOSP/IHO. Which I know a few are hungry for.

I am currently testing Backslide to see how it runs, and get an idea of what I want to do with the whole thing. If it seems to work out okay, I'll prep a semi-final edition of Harmonia that can update like I discussed above and move onto a GB version. I say a semi-final version because I don't want to slam the door on Harmonia. I consider it to be one of the best Froyo roms for this phone and expect it will remain that way probably until the end of service for this phone, so I intend to keep supporting it, but I won't be actively developing for it unless something serious happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: arhtard

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

I am currently testing Backslide to see how it runs, and get an idea of what I want to do with the whole thing. If it seems to work out okay, I'll prep a semi-final edition of Harmonia that can update like I discussed above and move onto a GB version. I say a semi-final version because I don't want to slam the door on Harmonia. I consider it to be one of the best Froyo roms for this phone and expect it will remain that way probably until the end of service for this phone, so I intend to keep supporting it, but I won't be actively developing for it unless something serious happens.

If you can backport the USB charge fix from IHO to Harmonia, it would be great. During the car trips, when I was using GPS, WiFi AP, Bluetooth, and high screen brightness simultaneously, the charging rate was not sufficient in Harmonia to keep OV's battery charged. IHO does not have this problem. I am happy to hear that you are testing IHO now.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

If you can backport the USB charge fix from IHO to Harmonia, it would be great. During the car trips, when I was using GPS, WiFi AP, Bluetooth, and high screen brightness simultaneously, the charging rate was not sufficient in Harmonia to keep OV's battery charged. IHO does not have this problem. I am happy to hear that you are testing IHO now.
I doubt that that is even possible.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Do you have a flash for the updated swype?
When I flashed 1.3.1 I still have the old market, and had to update the gmail. I don't mind that but I wanted to know what was different about the mms and how to know if it updated. My system does say 1.3.1
Guess I missed this...
Swype has all sorts of hoops to get the downloads, which makes me worry that they put in some marker to ID it. I haven't checked though. Basically it's just pain to mess with because of how they made it.

No idea how to know what all updated at times, Google isn't always great at making version numbers easy to find. Use a file manager and look at the sates, it should have changed.

Currently testing a universal installer that will work with other recoveries.
This will make it easier for those playing with CM builds to switch back and forth without having to change recoveries. I had to rebuild the entire install script to make this work and I am just starting testing, but it WILL happen.

Also, I setup an old laptop as a Linux box (rather than resorting to VM or my tablet), Harmonia GB is coming..

Last edited:

benslgdroid

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

I got in on the beta before by uninstalling and reinstalling. There is a swype installer to install it so it may be marked but I have seen it on droidappz so it should be usable the number is 3.6.84.26668. It got rid of the pop up as well as added predictive text. I have installed it on harmonia via uninstall with titanium and install with the installer.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

if I'm not mistaken the usb charge variant is in the kernel config settings.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM] Harmonia 1.5 (Aphrodite+Picasticks) 09AUG11 (Uni. Inst.

1.5 released.
Do not rush to download it, read this post first.

This has the new email and Gmail integrated, basically a refined 1.3 or 1.3.1. It does not include the new Market as it is still fighting me. Basically this is just 1.3.1 with the Gmail patch and a change to the installer (see below). So if you already have 1.3 or 1.31 installed, don't install this as it will be pointless. If you still want to try the new Market (not recomended) the installer is here. The current Maps 5.8 was also added to the first post.

This uses the newer Edify code for the installer, allowing you to install CM7 or Harmonia (or others) without swapping your recovery.
This should now work with any of the newer recoveries.
It still works with Xionia though, so you don't have to change if you have that. This took a lot of effort to do, so I wanted to give it a different number to differentiate it from the others in case of problems. The whole idea behind this is to ease the transition to Gingerbread Harmonia, which I'm currently researching and putting together ideas for. And no, it will not be called Harmonia.

If you use another installer, let me know what one and how it worked so others can benefit.

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

if I'm not mistaken the usb charge variant is in the kernel config settings.

It is, but too much can burn up the battery and it's a pain to deal with on this rom since one person built the kernel (Picasticks) and another built the rom (me) and frankly this rom works very, very well. I don't want to mess with it too much. I still refer to this as the "Honda" or "Toyota" rom. You play with your sports car on the weekend, but when it comes time to drive to work on Monday, you take the Honda or Toyota. Boring, but it gets you there every day. :D

I'm trying to wind down development on this so I can start on a GB version built on IHO, which I hope to have up and running soon. The 1.5 release was put out to ease the transition from one to the other.

Reactions: crbirdx

arhtard

Slacker
Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM] Harmonia 1.5 (Aphrodite+Picasticks) 09AUG11 (Uni. Inst.

1.5 released.

This should now work with any of the newer recoveries.[/B] It still works with Xionia though, so you don't have to change if you have that. This took a lot of effort to do, so I wanted to give it a different number to differentiate it from the others in case of problems. The whole idea behind this is to ease the transition to Gingerbread Harmonia, which I'm currently researching and putting together ideas for. And no, it will not be called Harmonia.

If you use another installer, let me know what one and how it worked so others can benefit.

I know there is a thanks button, but i wanted to say thank you for working on this for us.
1.5 is a great idea and very needed. I'm using the asopCWM with IHO 7.1 right now.
I will install your 1.5 after a meeting and let you know how it went.
Now when I have Harmonia withdrawls i can easily switch to it from IHO!

Thanks again for all you've done, LeslieAnn.

bigcat73

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM] Harmonia 1.5 (Aphrodite+Picasticks) 09AUG11 Edify Insta

Sorry if this is obvious but I want to make sure before I mess anything up. I can change from Xionia to, say, aospCMod 3.0.2.8 and flash 1.5 over 1.3 without losing everything?

Last edited:

xabbott

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

I get the follow error when I tried to install Harmonia 1.5 using Blarf's recovery.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Sorry if this is obvious but I want to make sure before I mess anything up. I can change from Xionia to, say, aospCMod 3.0.2.8 and flash 1.5 over 1.3 without losing everything?

It will once I get it right.
Apparently something went wrong somewhere and it did not change to Edify. See below

If you make a GB ROM with the battery life of Harmonia, I'll love you forever.
That isn't likely to happen anytime soon. Don't get me wrong, I woudl LOVE for that as well, but Until we get an official GB, the battery life will likely not be as good. Especially as good as Harmonia. Harmonia was an amazing stroke of luck getting it to have the battery life it has.

I get the follow error when I tried to install Harmonia 1.5 using Blarf's recovery.
Grrr, something went wrong, and it is still Amend. I need to find out where the script got swapped or what happened. Thanks for letting me know.

I converted the whole thing by hand, but had trouble with something and used an auto changer, and apparently at some point things reverted.

1.5 has been temporarily removed until I can fix the installer.

Sorry, I will get it fixed hopefully late tonight.

Timm129

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

So is it safe to say that we should drop the Xionia recovery and change over to the another like aospCMod????

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM] Harmonia 1.5E (Aphrodite+Picasticks) 10AUG11 Edify FIxe

1.5E with corrected Edify installer is now up.
Definitely has Edify code, I am just not sure it works with newer recoveries yet. I'll be testing this evening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol