[ROM] Harmonia 1.87 Froyo (Aphrodite+Picasticks) 12June12

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM] Harmonia 1.6 (Aphrodite+Picasticks) 11Sept11 Storage Fi

I'm betting much of the issues we are seeing are due to the newer phones and/or the recovery being used.

The key swap is absolutely the phone model, as is the wifi. Virgin/LG really did us a disservice when they did that without giving us some way to identify these phones better. They used left over parts from the Optimus S, which has a few things that conflict.

I have no understanding of fastboot, but again, I suspect it's these newer phones. Every time I have heard of fastboot, it ended up relating to how the phone was rooted and the recovery being used, but I haven't paid much attention so I could be wrong on that.

Keep in mind, the ONLY significant difference between 1.3-1.6 is the install script, the files themselves are all the same. Now granted, there may be something not installing right (still), but the files themselves have remained the same. The only files actually changed was email, gmail, market updater and vending, that's it. The kernel and in fact the entire boot.img has not changed at all since 1.2, it is still the latest Picasticks.

Maps volume is something that changed a while back. I always attributed it to Maps, but I will see if I can find a fix for it.

Reborn themes might work, but is also likely to break some things. I don't know if they incorporated the TWS fix or the power button mod the same way. It's also not likely to be signed the same, which can create issues.

When I have a lull in work, I will try loading up 1.6 again and see how it behaves over a few days just to be sure. I didn't have a lot of testing time, I was just making sure things ran and the storage space was fixed.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site

There's probably not a way to find out the manufacturing date of our phones is there? All I know is I got my phone at the end of August 2011, and rooted it via Gingerbreak method posted either here or xda forums (or both).

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I've been patiently waiting and would love some feedback on whether or not my themes work as intended with this Rom. In all reality they should work fine. Every other froyo Rom they have been tested on was a success.

I'm not too sure what they might break, I really don't think anything to be honest but I would like to know if they do in any way.

The one thing I keep forgetting to put in my thread is, you must have xionia recovery in order to flash my themes. They use the amended scripting mainly because I haven't looked into edify quite yet. if someone would like to make a nandroid and give one a try, I would greatly appreciate it. Just please follow the non-reborn instructions closely.

Anyway, Leslie , awesome work here, I wish I had a v so I could give your Rom a run. You've done a great job. Sorry for taking things a bit off topic here, just thought it was a good opportunity to weigh in.

Reactions: LeslieAnn

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

thanks for the feedback folks. i think i'll give it a try with a theme tonight, so i'll get back to you tomorrow if it works. :)

Reactions: jstntp

pwis321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

hmm.. so I did a fresh install of v1.6 but I had only 142mb of internal storage. So I decided to wipe and install again but now I got the Fastboot screen. The only way of getting past the BSOD is to flash the black statusbar but still gives me 142megs of storage. Going back to Bumblebee for now.

jsngonz

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

Leslie, I appreciate the knowledge you provide on every post! It helps us understand your ROM better. Harmonia has always worked better. Ive tested IHO which works well but I get better FPS when playing games like Gangstar Miami Vindication and less FCs on Harmonia. I know that there will always be minor problems but it will take forever to test everything including other developer addons like themes and such. Since 1.3-1.6 are almost the same, it is just best to install the release that works best for our device but I did find a way to avoid the blue screen (fastboot), and I did get to test a Reborn Theme.

I had spent some time trying to figure out why some of us, including myself, experienced a blue screen when booting 1.6 and was finally successful in booting up 1.6 and all storage space was restored! I have not come across any problems yet and everything works OUTSTANDING including Wi-Fi, Hotspot, and all! What I had done was I had booted into Recovery Mode, formatted everything including Dalvik Cache, then I had installed 1.5E and rebooted. After allowing the ROM to boot, I had rebooted into Recovery Mode again and had installed 1.6 without formatting anything. After 1.6 is installed, I had rebooted and no blue screen appears. It works great now! I wonder why one release (1.6) would need another (1.5E) to work if both are almost the same size? If 1.5E is needed to run 1.6, wouldn't it be considered a patch? Plus, when 1.3.1 was released, it was a patch which was only 3.2MB. 1.6 is 61MB. Kinda confused on why this is happening, but it worked!

I had also just flashed a Reborn Theme (reTouched) and it works great! If your going to install a Reborn Theme, the first thing I experienced was an Edify related error when I flashed the theme using CWM Recovery. When I had switched to Xionia Recovery, the theme flashed successfully. Also, make sure that you flash the theme.zip first in Recovery Mode, do not reboot, then flash framework-re_power-mod-V.zip and reboot. The Power Control Bar works as well and you will notice a Power Control Settings App featured in the App Drawer to tweak it out.

Last edited:

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site

@jsngonz

I'll have to give your walkthrough a go-around. My guess is maybe when LeslieAnn was making 1.6 something really tiny got messed up and that's why some of us experience it, because it only happens in certain occasions...

I'm curious, after looking at the previous versions...what happened to 1.4? Did it die of dysentery on the Oregon Trail? lol

Last edited:

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad I installed 1.6 right away and didn't wait to see how other people made out. All the problems reported here would have scared me off. But my flash / install went off without a hitch.

Sent via VM670/Tapatalk

pwis321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

Flashing 1.5E then flashing 1.6 right after fixes all of the problems I had. Fastboot Screen, Wifi error, gives full 176mb of internal space. Excellent rom! Thanks LeslieAnn

jsngonz

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

@jdcnosse

I agree. It seems as if something needed is missing and by installing 1.5E first, this takes care of these needed files. I noticed that this technique worked for pwis321 too. I'm happy that the blue screen issue is avoidable but I am still curious and trying to figure out what is missing. Blue screens (fastboot) only appear on the phone when the phone has been formatted and no ROM has been installed or when a ROM is broken.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site

Or it could be as LeslieAnn said, and there's a difference between the newer OVs and the older ones, which has only shown up now.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Leslie, I appreciate the knowledge you provide on every post! It helps us understand your ROM better. Harmonia has always worked better. Ive tested IHO which works well but I get better FPS when playing games like Gangstar Miami Vindication and less FCs on Harmonia. I know that there will always be minor problems but it will take forever to test everything including other developer addons like themes and such. Since 1.3-1.6 are almost the same, it is just best to install the release that works best for our device but I did find a way to avoid the blue screen (fastboot), and I did get to test a Reborn Theme.

I had spent some time trying to figure out why some of us, including myself, experienced a blue screen when booting 1.6 and was finally successful in booting up 1.6 and all storage space was restored! I have not come across any problems yet and everything works OUTSTANDING including Wi-Fi, Hotspot, and all! What I had done was I had booted into Recovery Mode, formatted everything including Dalvik Cache, then I had installed 1.5E and rebooted. After allowing the ROM to boot, I had rebooted into Recovery Mode again and had installed 1.6 without formatting anything. After 1.6 is installed, I had rebooted and no blue screen appears. It works great now! I wonder why one release (1.6) would need another (1.5E) to work if both are almost the same size? If 1.5E is needed to run 1.6, wouldn't it be considered a patch? Plus, when 1.3.1 was released, it was a patch which was only 3.2MB. 1.6 is 61MB. Kinda confused on why this is happening, but it worked!

I had also just flashed a Reborn Theme (reTouched) and it works great! If your going to install a Reborn Theme, the first thing I experienced was an Edify related error when I flashed the theme using CWM Recovery. When I had switched to Xionia Recovery, the theme flashed successfully. Also, make sure that you flash the theme.zip first in Recovery Mode, do not reboot, then flash framework-re_power-mod-V.zip and reboot. The Power Control Bar works as well and you will notice a Power Control Settings App featured in the App Drawer to tweak it out.

Thanks for all the work.
This confirms what I have been considering was the case.
It's either something being missed, or a difference in some of the recoveries and how they operate, both are possible. Now we know it isn't phone related and a bit more narrowed down too. I am lead to the conclusion that the installer is still missing something and 1.5 is getting it in or even a permission being missed. I will have to compare them and see what it is. If I don;t end up working tomorrow I will poke around with it, but I probably just jinxed myself.

One reason I explain things is that I don't see any reason for you all to be left in the dark. I never claimed to be some great dev who needs to hide what I do to look cool. Another reason is that it helps others avoid potential pitfalls, and allows people like you to help troubleshoot back.

In the end, being open helps us all.
Now granted I don't tell every detail, like the wallpaper background, I didn't spell it out because frankly it's more than most want to do, and just downloading it was easier, but if asked directly I would have given a straight answer. Too much info, can be just as bad as not enough.

So you've seen this behavior before?
Yes, and not just on Harmonia.

I'm curious, after looking at the previous versions...what happened to 1.4? Did it die of dysentery on the Oregon Trail? lol
OMG HAHA

Actually, it died in the Colosseum, I fed it to the lions.
I have a LOT of failed versions floating around my system and server. Literally, I have built over 100 of these and flashed them (which is why sometimes I get one working and post it because I am sick of working on it LOL). When it came time to number 1.4, I already had a working directory of failures for it, but I was too lazy to go see if I had used it or not, AND I wanted to make sure to start fresh from a working rom and not a failure rom so I started clean at 1.5 instead. Remember that above statement of getting tired f messing with it. After 30 attempts at getting 1.4 to work I decided to start fresh with 1.5. Sometimes the numbers reflect my internal numbering, sometimes they reflect me attempting to ensure people know this is a big jump from the last version. There is some logic to it, sometimes there isn't.

Reactions: jsngonz

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

The one thing I keep forgetting to put in my thread is, you must have xionia recovery in order to flash my themes. They use the amended scripting mainly because I haven't looked into edify quite yet. if someone would like to make a nandroid and give one a try, I would greatly appreciate it. Just please follow the non-reborn instructions closely.

Anyway, Leslie , awesome work here, I wish I had a v so I could give your Rom a run. You've done a great job. Sorry for taking things a bit off topic here, just thought it was a good opportunity to weigh in.
Thanks
No worries about the off topic, it pertains to the rom.

Download my maps patch or the statusbar patches (post #2) and modify that for you installers, they use amend and should do what you need, I haven't had issues with them messing up ;). It's a pretty simple and straightforward setup and it may have even come from Google itself.

The reason I worry about endorsing these is that the team who did the Reborn rom have placed various hooks in places that are not found on other roms (Pikasticks told me as much), just as CM has done. That isn't to say you can't put Reborn files on Harmonia, I have done it, and it worked well, but that was on prior versions of both. I don't know what will be retained and what will be removed, and I don't know what will break or not.

Those guys work on a totally different level than I do, and that is actually part of the problem. Harmonia and BB both share a background and most of their files, whereas Reborn started from an entirely different phone/rom and was ported. I know BB's development and what files are used where and where they came from. If it works (and it should provided you included all the files with the hooks), GREAT!

There was two prototypes of Harmonia for the Optimus S made.
Only one was tested and while it worked, it wasn't great. I bit off more than I could chew before I was ready to make that leap. I think I could do it decently now, but it is so difficult to do without having a phone to test it with.

cpshelley

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
hmm all this talk about failing flashes and me here with my 1.6 working perfectly.... maybe i should tell my flashing story.

i did have some issues flashing this, and i thought it was my fault, i still think it is, and absolutely nothing against you Leslie, but if it is pertinent information then I'd rather post it if it would help you debug.

i wiped all and started fresh, using xionia cwma recovery, not sure on the version, but i wiped factory/data, cleared dalvik, then just for good measure i went into mounts and wiped EVERYTHING, including boot.... i know on other roms I've been told to wipe boot, didnt think it would be any different here, but after wiping boot and flashing, my phone hung at the lg logo and would not go any farther. i really thought i was screwed, since i have no computer right now... i do all my modding from the phone itself, including rooting, flashing, tweaking, etc., so i thought i was bricked until i had access to a computer, but then i remembered my backups, i did a custom restore and restored the boot partition only since i had a hunch thats where id gone wrong and sure enough, after restoring my boot partition, which was from a backup of harmonia 1.5e, everything worked just fine.

again, not sure if this is related to any of the issus that others are experiencing, and also, notuing against you or the rom, Leslie, but i just thought id give the "full disclosure" details on my experience just in case it i somehow related and could help with the dev.

Reactions: LeslieAnn

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

The reason I worry about endorsing these is that the team who did the Reborn rom have placed various hooks in places that are not found on other roms (Pikasticks told me as much), just as CM has done. That isn't to say you can't put Reborn files on Harmonia, I have done it, and it worked well, but that was on prior versions of both. I don't know what will be retained and what will be removed, and I don't know what will break or not.

Those guys work on a totally different level than I do, and that is actually part of the problem. Harmonia and BB both share a background and most of their files, whereas Reborn started from an entirely different phone/rom and was ported. I know BB's development and what files are used where and where they came from. If it works (and it should provided you included all the files with the hooks), GREAT!

Thanks for the reply, and yes I have included all the files needed to make the same features found in Reborn apply to any Froyo rom. (Power Control Toggles, and retaining the Power button reboot options)
The only tweak of yours that might be lost with one of my themes, is your TWS fix. Depending which framework file was modded to implement it.

Just to let everyone know, I have also put together and posted the stock themes for Harmonia and BumbleBee on my thread as well. They are complete with all files necessary to return to the original rom setup including the removal of Power Control Toggles and app.

Since we had a couple users confirm that the themes do in fact work with Harmonia and BumbleBee, I think we should be good to go.

Thanks again to you Leslie and to the users who have tested these.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...theme_team-themes-9-11-11-new-theme-mods.html

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
hmm all this talk about failing flashes and me here with my 1.6 working perfectly.... maybe i should tell my flashing story.

i did have some issues flashing this, and i thought it was my fault, i still think it is, and absolutely nothing against you Leslie, but if it is pertinent information then I'd rather post it if it would help you debug.

i wiped all and started fresh, using xionia cwma recovery, not sure on the version, but i wiped factory/data, cleared dalvik, then just for good measure i went into mounts and wiped EVERYTHING, including boot....

This may indeed been the problem. I had no issues at all flashing 1.6. And I cleared cached, dalvik, and did factory reset. But that's it. I didn't go into mounts and touch any of that stuff.

Sent from my iPod touch

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

i wiped all and started fresh, using xionia cwma recovery, not sure on the version, but i wiped factory/data, cleared dalvik, then just for good measure i went into mounts and wiped EVERYTHING, including boot.... i know on other roms I've been told to wipe boot, didnt think it would be any different here, but after wiping boot and flashing, my phone hung at the lg logo and would not go any farther. i really thought i was screwed, since i have no computer right now... i do all my modding from the phone itself, including rooting, flashing, tweaking, etc., so i thought i was bricked until i had access to a computer, but then i remembered my backups, i did a custom restore and restored the boot partition only since i had a hunch thats where id gone wrong and sure enough, after restoring my boot partition, which was from a backup of harmonia 1.5e, everything worked just fine.

again, not sure if this is related to any of the issus that others are experiencing, and also, notuing against you or the rom, Leslie, but i just thought id give the "full disclosure" details on my experience just in case it i somehow related and could help with the dev.
No reason to apologize.
As I have said many times, I'm not some dev with all of the answers. I don't take any of the problems personally. I'm just a user who put together a popular rom. I don't have a whole lot more skill (if any) than many of you.

At the very least, this makes it much easier to verify that it is corrected.
Thanks

Remember everyone, NANDROID!
It can save your butt!.

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

so just to confirm when coming from a different ROM, to get this working correctly, we should be flashing 1.5E first and then flashing 1.6? do we reboot between flashing 1.5E and 1.6?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude