Custom Roms

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, these aren't just copies of the stock with bloat cut out.
While a few ROMS are minimal in nature as a concept, there are some nice themed-based ROMS to check out for yourself by a lot of very talented people are adding tweaks and recent updates.

Actually for our device, it's quite an exciting time.

The Optimus V can run full-blown Gingerbread with very few issues, to solid and overclockable 2.2.1-based kernels based, finally, on a pure Optimus V source instead of hand-me-downs from the S.

I don't know what else the community could provide...

-K

Last edited:
Reactions: zoidberg_md

nickmiller71

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, these aren't just copies of the stock with bloat cut out.
While a few ROMS are minimal in nature as a concept, there are some nice themed-based ROMS to check out for yourself but a lot of very talented people are adding tweaks and recent updates.

Actually for our device, it's quite an exciting time.

The Optimus V can run full-blown Gingerbread with very few issues, to solid and overclockable 2.2.1-based kernels based, finally, on a pure Optimus C source instead of hand-me-downs from the S.

I don't know what else the community could provide...

-K

Amen!

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Whats up with all the stripped down stock roms on the OV where are all the tru custom roms lyk on the intercept?????????????

Well, for one thing, we have had barely 3 months to work on them? How old is the Intercept?

I don't think we are as lacking as much people think.
We have have two full blown insane roms (CM7 which are also 2.3), one nicely themed romwith several variations (Rodimus), one mostly stock with a speed boost (Stock + Xionia), and stripped to hell with your choice of base files to build your own rom from (the Aphrodite family tree). There are a few others as well, but to me these are the primary roms. We also have what, 3 dedicated kernels with a 4th coming, and a pile of S kernels to choose from.

What more do you need.
I'm not saying there isn't room for more, but for the most part, I think we are pretty well covered. For many, if not most of us, this is our first android and we are still getting up to snuff with the rest of the modding community. Heck, we only got our working source code less than 2 weeks ago.

Keep in mind we have little memory to work from so every bit is precious, which is why stripped is so popular. There is also something to be said for simplicity.

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why we can't use the LG source code to build a working Android system from source as in AOSP roms.

Otherwise what is the LGVM670 Android Source used for?

If we can use it to build kernels why not ROMs?

Sent using Tapatalk.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The LG source is for the kernel.
There is a whole lot more to a rom than just a kernel.

You can combine the kernel with Android source to build a rom, but even then, you still need drivers in the rom. Some of the drivers on this device are closed source, so there is no way to build them unless you are really good at writing drivers yourself. The Cyanogen/AOSP team has been working on other devices and have some really good programmers who can pull information they have gained from other devices to build the drivers, but even they are still having issues with bluetooth.

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
LeslieAnn and the rest of the devs here are doing what they can with what is available. Imho they are doing a great job. I came from the optimus s and I must say that imho that the v roms are more stable. We should thank these great devs because if not for them we wouldn't have what we got. If I knew how to cook roms I would be building them myself to help with the contribution to our phones.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
LeslieAnn and the rest of the devs here are doing what they can with what is available. Imho they are doing a great job. I came from the optimus s and I must say that imho that the v roms are more stable. We should thank these great devs because if not for them we wouldn't have what we got. If I knew how to cook roms I would be building them myself to help with the contribution to our phones.

I completely agree. I wish I could cook roms and I know you and I both could if we put forth the effort. I simply don't have the time with 2 jobs and 2 kids so I have to take advantage of the tremendous effort the devs put into these roms and kernels.

I can't do this myself, obviously, but I know it takes a great amount of work to do from what I've read and I see a lot of people saying what should be done or why can't this be done instead of being constructive or learning how to contribute.

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

Word.

The last thing I programmed was a claw hammer through a 1541 Commodore 64 disk drive. I would have no clue where to begin with what these devs do. Luckily, to enjoy the benefits you don't *have* to be. Learn a bit, give good feedback and contribute coherent feedback when you can, and your device gets amazing support from some very talented people.

Look, each of us came here to see if our devices could be somehow... I don't know. Just better.

It's that whole open source spirit, I suppose.

Anyway, try them. Give and share ideas and feedback if something impresses or disappoints, be reasonable, assume it's your mistake (98.765% time it is. :p), and explore what's out there.

Then after you do that? Flash back to the stock you got out of the box.

...Yeah. Exactly.

-K

Reminding everyone in Optimus V ROMland tonight one simple message:

Love. Your. Backups. - Have you backed up lately?

Last edited:

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't even know where to start to cook a rom lol. Maybe I should make a post just to thank the devs.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't even know where to start to cook a rom lol.

Me either, just saying if we REALLY wanted to put in the tremendous effort that these devs have we could probably figure it out. I believe anyone can do just about anything with the drive and motivation. Just the optimist in me...that's all I've got lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze