[Guide]Flashing recoveries through terminal emulator (very easy)

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Guide]Flashing recoveries through terminal emulator (very ea

are you su?
you see #?

i.e.
sh-3.2$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
sh-3.2$ flash_image recovery /sdcard/a.img
flashing recovery from /sdcard/a.img
failed with error: -1
sh-3.2$

dlaxtn2

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes I have been running all commands as root I entered the command cat Dec/mtd/mtd2>/sdcard/a.Ingram as root it ran with no output just went to next prompt# then I entered again flash_image recovery /sdcard/a.img then it ran saying it was writing to different blocks but when I rebooted into recovery it looked the same

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

dlaxtn2

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Oops that cameout wrong there is some annoying auto correct feature on this keyboard lol but I'm sure u know what I mentioned lol I'm new to Modding but am very fascinated would. Like to learn. As much as possible

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

ok, then read:
cat with the arrow > is to backup that partition
typing cat /proc/mtd will list the partitions.
if you backed it up then flashed it nothing should change; good test though =)
so now just download the latest xionia recovery or the one you plan to use and place it in the root of the sdcard and rename it to something like new.img & flash it.
flash_image recovery /sdcard/new.img

Reactions: dlaxtn2

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

So sorry to be oblivious here, but what's wrong with the recovery we already have? What are the benefits of using other ones?

dlaxtn2

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Different recoveries have more options I think I'm running the most basic non stock one which has worked great I was just trying to flash the clockwork mod because its recommended for my rom I'm running the latest backside IHO and love it so nice

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

So sorry to be oblivious here, but what's wrong with the recovery we already have? What are the benefits of using other ones?

With the stock recovery you can not flash custom roms. There is no option to do it. Custom recoveries also give more options in wiping and formatting your device.

dlaxtn2

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a custom recovery. It was I was trying to change it but I got it working the correct. Syntax ended up being flash_image recovery /mnt/sdcard/new.img thanx fenrix

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

I have a custom recovery. It was I was trying to change it but I got it working the correct. Syntax ended up being flash_image recovery /mnt/sdcard/new.img thanx fenrix

Tried everything on this thread, even this and my recovery is goneeeee. All I get now is a broken terminal when I reboot into recovery...not good.

How come none of the things that are supposed to be easy never work the first try for me?? It's not fair...

For the record I was trying to flash blarf's custom recovery for iho. I'm getting the same errors as fenrix

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Tried everything on this thread, even this and my recovery is goneeeee. All I get now is a broken terminal when I reboot into recovery...not good.

How come none of the things that are supposed to be easy never work the first try for me?? It's not fair...

For the record I was trying to flash blarf's custom recovery for iho. I'm getting the same errors as fenrix

Your download is likely corrupted.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Tried several copies of the same file...guess I'm switching back to clockworkmod recovery

The likeliness that several downloads are corrupt is slim to none. Not that they cant be corrupt but highly unlikely. There are some good tips here and if you followed them to the letter and its still failing you have a back file somewhere. Now if CWM flash back and works that is a sure fire sign YOUR downloads are crappy.

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
my original solution to all the terminal mojo-jojo was to just download rom manager. go tell it to flash the clockwork recovery. Do not reboot yet!! it will download and flash a file. now in any file manager goto the clockwork folder and goto the download and copy it's name by going to rename, long press then copy all, or select all then long press again and press copy, back out or rename it, then delete it.
go rename your custom recovery with that name by pasting the file name you copied and place it in the folder.
now just goto rom manager and tell it to flash clockwork recovery for optimus v.
it does not check the file size or anything it just flashes it for you.

sharpe351

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

I used this to pop in a recovery on an Optimus M for a friend. Worked like a charm. Thanks Leslie!

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

my original solution to all the terminal mojo-jojo was to just download rom manager. go tell it to flash the clockwork recovery. Do not reboot yet!! it will download and flash a file. now in any file manager goto the clockwork folder and goto the download and copy it's name by going to rename, long press then copy all, or select all then long press again and press copy, back out or rename it, then delete it.
go rename your custom recovery with that name by pasting the file name you copied and place it in the folder.
now just goto rom manager and tell it to flash clockwork recovery for optimus v.
it does not check the file size or anything it just flashes it for you.

I tried this, the problem I run into is when I download the recovery from clockword mod and go into /sdcard/clockworkmod/download it ends up downloading 2 different files...they're named a random strings of numbers with a dash in the front with no filetype association.

Which one do I replace?

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
well that's interesting, you did choose to flash for the optimus v? I dunno if the market rom manager had the optimus v option, I used a version from 4shared.
you should end up with one labelled as img, pretty sure it has thunderc in the name too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE