[Guide]Flashing recoveries through terminal emulator (very easy)

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Ttt

Hey guys,

Bumping this. I have an OV I need reverted to 100% stock. I got the ROM stock by using Nandroid backup, but I was having problems flashing the stock recovery in terminal. So I tried using Jimmy's Flash Image GUI. It worked - sorta.

Now I have this setup: stock ROM, stock recovery flashed but not working 100%, root access, and busybox installed. Here's the issue I'm having: I open terminal and try to run PicaSticks method. First line works ok, but on the 2nd line I get "remount not found."

Ok, so I try the simplified method of JerryScript moving flash_image from /sdcard directly into /system/bin. When I run chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image it returns "flash_image not found."

When I use a file manager to try and copy flash_image directly to /system/bin, it says "permission denied."

What gives? Are the Android gremlins cockblocking me here for no reason? Lol

mkmcmge

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Guide]Flashing recoveries through terminal emulator (very ea

what the crap it just shows the lg logo and then goes black over and over!!!

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

Ttt

Hey guys,

Bumping this. I have an OV I need reverted to 100% stock. I got the ROM stock by using Nandroid backup, but I was having problems flashing the stock recovery in terminal. So I tried using Jimmy's Flash Image GUI. It worked - sorta.

Now I have this setup: stock ROM, stock recovery flashed but not working 100%, root access, and busybox installed. Here's the issue I'm having: I open terminal and try to run PicaSticks method. First line works ok, but on the 2nd line I get "remount not found."

Ok, so I try the simplified method of JerryScript moving flash_image from /sdcard directly into /system/bin. When I run chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image it returns "flash_image not found."

When I use a file manager to try and copy flash_image directly to /system/bin, it says "permission denied."

What gives? Are the Android gremlins cockblocking me here for no reason? Lol
Use the Nandroid backup, root using Gingerbreak, flash recovery, unroot using gingerbreak. But Idk about the Factory Reset. I flashed the update.zip from Virgin Mobile, and Idk if you want to flash the radio.img

Good luck.

Reactions: droidmyme

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

so a weird thing happened to me when trying to flash the IHO recovery on my friend's new OV. i kept receiving the message "Flash Image: No Found". any thoughts on why this may happen? personally on my phone, i flash recoveries with no issues.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
so a weird thing happened to me when trying to flash the IHO recovery on my friend's new OV. i kept receiving the message "Flash Image: No Found". any thoughts on why this may happen? personally on my phone, i flash recoveries with no issues.

You have to run flash_image from the root directory. It WON'T work from /sdcard

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

amartyne

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

I flashed VM670NH recovery to my phone. I had to copy flash_image via terminal into system/bin
When I flashed recovery there were no errors. But when I tried to run reboot_recovery I got reboot_recovery not found.

So I'm guessing that command is not on my phone.
What is going on here and how do I fix this?

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

I flashed VM670NH recovery to my phone. I had to copy flash_image via terminal into system/bin
When I flashed recovery there were no errors. But when I tried to run reboot_recovery I got reboot_recovery not found.

So I'm guessing that command is not on my phone.
What is going on here and how do I fix this?

I thought all of those tools were in busybox? Maybe it failed to install somehow? What's your setup, so you know what you're working with here.

amartyne

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

Actually I did type reboot_recovery.
I was just very tired when I wrote my post.
I figured it out.It was busybox. I got busybox reinstalled and everything is working now.
Thanks everyone.

TexasLG

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

I'm just about ready to root & rom an OV, and I think I know what I'm doing (uh-oh!). I've read & reread LeslieAnn's Reference Guide & Harmonia 2 posts and the posts they link to (and as many of the replies as I could before my eyes glazed over). I still have some questions that relate to this thread.

Is there a terminal emulator installed as part of the GingerBreak process, or do I need to grab one from the Play store? (And if it's the latter, is there one you recommend?)

Some people here seem to prefer other methods over this one. Pros/cons, since a lot of these posts are old and there may be newer tools?

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm just about ready to root & rom an OV, and I think I know what I'm doing (uh-oh!). I've read & reread LeslieAnn's Reference Guide & Harmonia 2 posts and the posts they link to (and as many of the replies as I could before my eyes glazed over). I still have some questions that relate to this thread.

Is there a terminal emulator installed as part of the GingerBreak process, or do I need to grab one from the Play store? (And if it's the latter, is there one you recommend?)

Some people here seem to prefer other methods over this one. Pros/cons, since a lot of these posts are old and there may be newer tools?

No terminal emulator needed with Gingerbreak. Try it out first. If it doesn't work, come back here for help.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

TexasLG

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the quick reply -- but this is about "Flashing recoveries through terminal emulator" after rooting with Gingerbreak. That's the step I'm asking about.

Reactions: flapjack.fiasco

TexasLG

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

OK, thanks guys. I saw there were a bunch but didn't want to install one if another was going to get installed as part of the process. I'll dive in, but I have to work long days today & tomorrow, so maybe Wednesday night. I'll report results in the Harmonia 2 thread.