Stagefright

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

Long time poster. First time noob.

Why is stagefright disabled by default on most Froyo roms for the V? I thought I understood it as causing a video bug, but I know I am mistaken because all my videos play fine with it enabled. I also saw posts from long ago that claim it causes streaming problems, but this too I could not replicate.

Is there a battery hit to having it enabled? Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks!

Update: Here is the reason stagefright is worthless.

Here is a script to disable or enable stagefright on the fly.

Last edited:

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Pretty good idea putting a file up to change it on the fly. I just use absolute system tools and manually change it. That way I can change the drop down text at the same time LOL. As for battery life with it inabled I have no clue never payed attention.
Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
If you use the Nameless rom, there is a script built in to turn it on. I am also unsure what video's it effects.

---!---General Tips/FAQ's/How-To's---!---
Editing your build.prop (JIT, HW ACC, Stagefright):
1. Open terminal emulator, provided in the ROM.
2. Type "su" then "sh tweaks"
3. Follow the prompt.

Edit: make sure you run those commands in a terminal emulator and not adb.

Last edited:

RavenSEAL

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
+1 I Googled it for all of those arrogant demons who tell people to do so, I need a dumbed down or right down to the point explaination on what it is and does.

Sent from my Optimus V

New media framework (Stagefright) that supports local file playback and HTTP progressive streaming

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
This goes waaaay back to the first few days of the optimus V.
There was some discussion of it when RevolutionRed enabled it in his first release, then disabled it on the second.

Stagefright was causing a green line across the top of Youtube videos as well as a few other artifacts. It also wasn't shown to do much and apparently the phone wasn't designed for it.

He found we were better off using the graphics acceleration instead, however that has since been proven to be a mixed bag as well. Depending on who you ask, even if enabled it doesn't help the desktop. Some claim it won't multi-task either. Others say it works when it needs to and not at other times.

If you notice, none of the older V rom builders use(d) Stagefright.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info!

I see now that the quadrant score is an artifact of stagefright crashing one of the tests and creating an artificially short run time. So all those posts with 1000+ scores are meaningless.

Also for those that asked:
"Stagefright is a media framework introduced in Froyo that supports local file playback and HTTP progressive streaming."

(I guess Charlie beat me to it)

Last edited:

RavenSEAL

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info!

I see now that the quadrant score is an artifact of stagefright crashing one of the tests and creating an artificially short run time. So all those posts with 1000+ scores are meaningless.

Also for those that asked:
"Stagefright is a media framework introduced in Froyo that supports local file playback and HTTP progressive streaming."

(I guess Charlie beat me to it)

He always does :p

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

If anyone else is into computers or DIY PC building (...crickets chirping...), my favorite frame of reference for how silly benchmarks can be was the whole nvidia/Radeon driver debacle many years ago, where they both fudged their graphic drivers and artificially inflated benchmarks.

I've always felt that benchmarking, while can be a somewhat useful reference/stressing tool in a lot of scenarios, has always been something I've sort of 'meh' about. In my opinion, nothing beats how things actually *feel* to the user when it comes to tech.

True, expressing or explaining things you *feel* isn't necessarily valuable from a feedback standpoint, but honestly - who needs a number to tell them that something is laggy, slow or just flat out broken.

Also: W00t! I just scored 16578665 points in Quadrant by points by lowering the volume of my phone! ...Wait...

-K

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Careful with jokes like that. You'll start getting PM's asking how they can replicate your score.

Hmm. That's a good point.

*Also: W00t! I DID NOT just score 16578665 points in Quadrant by points by lowering the volume of my phone! ...Wait...

fixed!

-K

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a collection of family guy, simpsons, south park, and mythbuster videos on my phone all converted to 480x320 .3g2 files so they play easily on my phone and don't take up much SD card space. Well when i enabled stagefright none of them would play. Phone popped up a little message saying the format was unplayable. Disabled it and they play fine again. Just some more data to add.

Delphis

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
If anyone else is into computers or DIY PC building (...crickets chirping...), my favorite frame of reference for how silly benchmarks can be was the whole nvidia/Radeon driver debacle many years ago, where they both fudged their graphic drivers and artificially inflated benchmarks.

Yea, I remember that.. that was a real face-palm worthy time.

bjones72751

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

Long time poster. First time noob.

Why is stagefright disabled by default on most Froyo roms for the V? I thought I understood it as causing a video bug, but I know I am mistaken because all my videos play fine with it enabled. I also saw posts from long ago that claim it causes streaming problems, but this too I could not replicate.

Is there a battery hit to having it enabled? Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks!

Edit:
I almost forgot. Here is a script to disable or enable stagefright on the fly.

Can i use this script with the aospCM7? If so how do i install/use it? Sorry for the noob question, but gotta ask.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Can i use this script with the aospCM7? If so how do i install/use it? Sorry for the noob question, but gotta ask.

Install gscript from the market. Add the script to the /sdcard/gscript/ folder. Add the script to gscript. Run it whenever you want to enable or disable Stagefright. It will work on CM7.

Reactions: keystonep1mz

mcclain71

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Install gscript from the market. Add the script to the /sdcard/gscript/ folder. Add the script to gscript. Run it whenever you want to enable or disable Stagefright. It will work on CM7.

i installed gscript, but there isnt a gscript folder. lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance