Best rom/kernal for battery life

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
In the last set of tests done by mmarz RodimusRom scored best but that was a while ago andit uses the Xionia 05 kernel. I am using Rodimus with the newer Bumblebee kernel. I don't now if it's. As good or better on battery life but it works well for me. Mileage may vary but it seems to be a very solid combo.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
There are two things consider when talking about battery life. There is the standby time and the "talk time" or heavy use time.

I've been testing the new Froyo kernels, and the conclusion I've come to is that they will all perform the same when it comes to standby time, unless they screw something up. There is a theoretical maximum battery life your hardware can have. That is because the hardware needs a minimum amount of current to just be on. No kernel/rom can change that. What they can change is how much of the resources they use and how often. Exclusively scanning for wifi AP's, or checking the sensors, polling the CPU, ...etc. all reduce your battery life without even getting into the effects of the apps you install. From what I've seen, the new kernels have worked out the bugs. ALL things being equal, they will all give about the same battery life. About 100-120 hours of standby time.

But that is the standby time with nothing installed or running. Most people like to actually use their phones. That is when the effects of the rom and apps you install take effect. Once you start installing apps that run in the background, (even juicedefender), you'll start to see that standby time decrease.

The heavy use time varies wildly based on your habits and the apps you use. The rom has little to no effect if the bloatware is removed.

Last edited:

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
But that is the standby time with nothing installed or running. Most people like to actually use their phones. That is when the effects of the rom and apps you install take effect. Once you start installing apps that run in the background, (even juicedefender), you'll start to see that standby time decrease.
Is JuiceDefender not worth installing on the Optimus V?

Hopefully, there'll be Low Voltage kernels for the Optimus V in the future.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Is JuiceDefender not worth installing on the Optimus V?

Hopefully, there'll be Low Voltage kernels for the Optimus V in the future.

You misunderstand me. My point was that if you installing nothing but the rom and leave your phone on standby, you will only hurt your battery life by running such app in the background.

If you have apps that do use your data without asking you, then JuiceDefender can help by cutting off the data connection.

Reactions: davidh44

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
One thing to remember is JuiceDefender doesn't fully function on any 2.3 ROM. There is a Beta version on the market but until they officially release gingerbread they can't finish it. From what testing i have done with it there is no reliable control of 3g or WiFi.

Liquidplacidity

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
One thing to remember is JuiceDefender doesn't fully function on any 2.3 ROM. There is a Beta version on the market but until they officially release gingerbread they can't finish it. From what testing i have done with it there is no reliable control of 3g or WiFi.

To me, juice defender is pointless though really. It doesn't hurt just lowering the notification bar and enabling data when I need it. 2.3 ROM's have wifi and data options built in into the bar. Plus leaving it off all the time, I never have to worry about whether juice defender is actually doing it's job or not, oh and it running in the background too.

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Juicedefender actually does work on gingerbread roms, you just have to install the app "aosp helper" along with it. I've used juicedefender on aosp's 2.3.3 and it works. It just seems like a fairly bloated and slow program.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87